PDA

View Full Version : Old wishes

stillakid
11-02-2007, 02:47 AM
It's been a while, but when I was a kid, I used to dream that one day, I'd have enough money to buy a VCR and a copy of Star Wars and just have it playing on a loop all day long.

Of course when I was a kid, VCR were top-loaders and VHS movies cost $80 each. We've come a long way... and so have I.

I also remember having a bookshelf near my bed where I'd display little bits o' junk I'd collected. And I also had the three Star Wars novelization on the bottom shelf. In 83 (after ROTJ), I had envisioned where I'd put the additional six books for the saga (totally nine).

Of course I never dreamed that I'd move 2500 miles to California or that my parents would sell the house I grew up in. But those memories are as clear to me today as the day I drreamed them up.

Did you have any old wishes or expectations? For the movies? For yourself?

BountyHunterScum
11-02-2007, 07:23 AM
I once wished I would own an electronic 1701-D and I eventually did. There was a kid in my elementary school who used to come to school all of the time with new toys and sh-t as well. Now I'm in that position. Most of it was Batman movie stuff he had.

El Chuxter
11-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I've wished for years that they'd bring back It's Garry Shandling's Show. Maybe it could replace Grey's Anatomy or The Office.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I had the shopping-cart-in-the-toy-store-when-I-have-enough-money dream many a time. I also used to think I'd operate an auto repair shop out of my home, be a stand-up comedian, create a turret-style tower (complete with Emperor's throne room round window) for all my SW collectibles (still not sure if this one's unfufilled yet... ), return to my old school in disguise, and be on Double Dare and win the Ultimate Challenge.

Ji'dai
11-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I always dreamed of winning one of those all-you-can-fit-in-the- shopping-cart-at-the-toy-store-giveaways too. Even had it planned out in my mind which aisles I'd hit first what exactly I'd grab.

I was sure I'd have a Landspeeder or Speeder Bikes in my garage by now too. Damn Big Oil, holding back repulsor technology. Bastards!

DarthQuack
11-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I always wanted to be on Supermarket Sweep....and Double Dare.....and Fun House hosted by JD Roth.

bigbarada
11-03-2007, 08:31 PM
I used to get so frustrated that my parents and grandparents stopped buying us toys after a certain age (9) because they considered us too old for them. So I used to always tell myself that, when I grew up, I would buy as many Star Wars figures as I wanted and no one would tell me no.

Little did I realize that the line would be completely dead by the time I started making my own money. Probably why I approached collecting so fervently when the line relaunched in 1995. However, I always envisioned loading my shopping cart down with ROTJ carded figures, which is why seeing the ROTJ cards on shelves again in 2004 was such a surreal experience for me.

I also dreamed of making enough money to have a lifesized AT-AT built in my front yard.

bobafrett
11-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I used to dream about owning one of every Star Wars toy out there. My dreams fell short their. I also dreamed I would be married with four kids, Next June I am getting married to a woman with three kids, and I have one of my own, so that one isn't to far off, except I had dreamed of all four being kids of my own makng.

Tycho
11-08-2007, 03:46 AM
I wished people would read my long posts, but since most of my wishes never come true, I'll keep it short.

I wished I'd meet the girl of my dreams, my soulmate, Miss Right - and we'd leave my own family far behind and live in a very large house with lots of live animals - I'd basically collect a zoo that included huge aquatic tanks and a polar environment as well. And I'd be friends with all the animals so I could play with the bears or swim with the sharks. I'd have my lady, and that'd be all I needed.

stillakid
11-08-2007, 07:36 AM
All the sentiments have been very nice to read :) .... but I kinda meant what were your "dreams" regarding Star Wars, if any. :)

Tycho
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Personal involvement in a live-action fantasy? I wanted all the powers of the Force and a lightsaber, and then either survive or die fighting tons of white-armored troops in an orgy of violence - basically like Order 66, but surviving it with superior skill and an actual penchant for enjoying the fight.

Were I Ki-Adi Mundi on Mygeeto, I would have cried out in glee and attacked all those Galactic Marines with new fury. His problems were:

1) Order 66 came as a surprise
2) He's supposed to be emotionless and peaceful by nature as a Jedi
3) The Clones were very well trained and talented for that sort of operation

So the question is whether I'd enjoy being a Jedi and dying during Order 66? Probably, actually, yeah. Anyway, I envisioned something like that for years way before Lucas even started the prequels. It was a Classic SW fantasy for me even before I knew some stormtroopers might be clones.

Anyway, possibly facing death at a very young age like I am, that would be how I'd want to go out!

Star Wars TOY fantasy: I may actually get to live this. Have as many as 8 or 9 rooms in a house to set up as different environments - mostly this means museum display themes behind glass, with fully equipped battle dioramas with my action figures going on in each of them (meaning I'd even have AT-TEs for Geonosis and Utopau) and I'd have space to augment these 3 3/4" scenes with the corresponding 12", Galactic Heroes, Unleashed, Jedi Force, and any similar extra-basic-line stuff I accumulated when it struck my fancy. I'd also have a small area for my Transformers, McFarlane Terminator stuff, and convert 2 or 3 garage spaces into a showroom for my Star Trek stuff.

If I am successful with my creative work and earn the money, I plan on doing this.

scruffziller
11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I always wanted to be on Supermarket Sweep....and Double Dare.....and Fun House hosted by JD Roth.

Heck Yea!!!:D So I could get the Nintendo Entertainment System with all the games!!!!!

I also wished I could invent a super watch that had an enormous amount of devices and capabilities. That was 1986, I even had a drawing of it. Of course, the most practical application of that idea was realized in the form of the advanced cell phones.

But as far as SW. I used to wish that I was a shadow character of sorts of Luke's. Kind of like his Mineeme, little brother etc., wearing the same outfit. Also doing everything he did at the same time. Even fighting Vader, getting shocked by the Empy too.
I did that with alot of different movies. Imagined I was the main character but not replacing the main character. Thus the term "shadow character."