PDA

View Full Version : Is Star Wars the Greatest Movie of All-Time?

bigbarada
11-03-2007, 10:44 PM
This might sound like a strange question for this site, but hear me out. I know that we're all Star Wars fans on here; but I also know that there are a lot of movie buffs on here.

So my question is this: Do you TRULY believe that one of the Star Wars films deserves the honor of being called the "Greatest Movie of All-Time?"

Not the "Greatest Sci-Fi Movie of All-Time" or the "Greatest Kids' Movie of All-Time;" but the SINGLE greatest achievement in movie making in all of human history. Better than the Godfather, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc. Do you really believe that one of the Star Wars films fits that bill?

I can't give a definitive "yes"; because I haven't actually watched all the "great" films of the 20th century (For instance, I've seen The Godfather and Casablanca, but not Citizen Kane). But, of the movies that I have actually watched, I truly believe that Star Wars (ANH) is the absolute best of the best.

I saw ANH for the first time in 1983, when it came on television, and to me it was THE perfect movie. Ever since then, it's been my "measuring stick" for other films. In other words, there is a difference in my mind between a movie being good and a movie being "Star Wars good." Not even ESB or ROTJ lived up to the high standards that ANH set in my mind.

And the fact that ANH is not set on Earth makes it even more perfect. Since it's not about Americans or Germans, or Christians or Jews, or Police or Mafia, that actually makes it a better representation of EVERYONE on Earth, not just a specific nationality, religion or period of history.

I'm just interested to see how many here really believe that the SW films are the best movies ever made, or if they just like collecting the toys or reading the novels.

stillakid
11-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't know that the question can really be answered as what defines "great" and/or "greatest" to one person usually is different from every other person.

Star Wars A New Hope certainly has a strong story and was innovative in terms of storytelling and filmmaking. Episodes V and VI also have their merits on an individual basis. Of course there are "issues" within each, yet the OT Trilogy as a whole stands up strong.

Add in the ancillary elements, like toys, games, books, etc. and the Star Wars PROPERTY is certainly one of most influential and pivotal elements within our culture. It has had a lasting impact on the way filmmakers make movies and the expectations audiences have when watching any movie.

But is it the "greatest"? I don't know. It's always dangerous to make such definitive statements about such subjective topics. I could point to a dozen other films and show how they too were influential for their time even if they seem dated and dull by today's standards. Like the Universe and life itself, our definition of "great" evolves over time. Star Wars is "great," but so are a lot of other movies too.

:)

Kidhuman
11-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I cant sayyes as the greatest eer of all movies. How do you compare SW to the odfather. The Godfather won alot of awards, as did SW(but not the major ones). It is like the cliche, apples and oranges, peaches and pears, ......

It is, as said, one of the most influential movies of our time. Not only to filmmakers, but to your average Joe as well. It spawned a whole new market for toys. It started a whole new fad for special effects. It has captivated audiences for 30 years. Brings in new people each and every year to the story.

To say it is one of the greatest yes, to say it is the greatest, its arguably the best.

Rocketboy
11-04-2007, 12:26 AM
There is no "Greatest" film ever.
Just personal opinions and favorites.

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 12:43 AM
"Best" and "favorite" are two different things. But still both subjective.

2-1B
11-04-2007, 04:00 AM
The Big Lebowski is the greatest film of all time.

(In my opinion)

bigbarada
11-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I'm not talking about "favorite films," because those change depending on whatever mood we are in.

And of course the title of "best all-time movie" is subjective, but isn't that the point of these forums? To talk about our subjective opinions as if they are fact?:p

Plus, it never stops books, magazines, movie critics, etc. from trying to claim that this movie or that movie is the greatest of all time; but that is usually understood as just the opinion of whoever happens to be making the choice.

So, stop being so wishy-washy and just make a choice doggone it!;)

BTW, thanks Caesar. Although I can't say that I really liked The Big Lebowski at all.

I've also seen the Godfather films, but just never understood what the big deal was.

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 01:14 PM
The greatest film of all time would either be Short Circuit or O Brother, Where Art Thou?

DarthQuack
11-04-2007, 01:47 PM
The greatest film of all time would either be Short Circuit or O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Why stop there, you could also say Superman IV: The Quest for Peace should be considered. Heels would back me up on this right? :P

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 01:50 PM
The difference being that the two I named are good movies.

2-1B
11-04-2007, 02:51 PM
BTW, thanks Caesar. Although I can't say that I really liked The Big Lebowski at all.

That's cool, I love hearing what other people's favorites are too. :cool:

It's kind of weird because while I love ANH and think it's a great movie, I actually hold it in higher regard because of the sequels. If they never made ESB or ROTJ, I wouldn't hold it in as high esteem as I do.

I say Lebowski with real sincerity because I think that's the closest I've ever seen to a perfect movie, I love everything about it. :)

I've also seen the Godfather films, but just never understood what the big deal was.

See, I'm a big fan of those films as well...definitely high up on my list but I can't say The Godfather is the greatest. It's probably in my Top Ten, though. Maybe Top 5 even (?)

jjreason
11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
I think ANH might be the most massively accessible of the oft-metioned Greatest Movies of All Time movies. To paraphrase one Rolling Stone magazine author (he was writing about the Beatles): To not like Star Wars would be akin to not liking air or sunlight.

As a result, I think you'll get much less argument from the masses about declaring it (or, similarly due its mass appeal across all audiences, The Wizard of Oz) the best movie ever than you would if you chose Gone With the Wind or Citizen Kane.

I still like ESB better - but it would have never come to pass if ANH wasn't so spectacular.

vader121
11-06-2007, 10:24 AM
It is really difficult to name the greatest movie of all time. It really would need to be classified in different types of movies (Horror, sci-fi, action, drama, etc.). That is really the only way to do it.

I think that hands-down ANH is the greatest sci-fi of all time and will never be topped.

If I had to choose a top movie of all time Wizard of OZ would need to be in the top 3 of all time in my opinion. What the other 2 are I really don't know. I've never seen Casablanca or Citizen Kane. Tried and let me stress tried to watch the Godfather and also thought "what is the big deal?" I know many love it and think it's the greatest. Not in my opinion. Goodfellas is better.

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 03:28 PM
We're talking about "the greatest of all time", which has a societal impact to it - I may think ESB is a better film personally, but the global impact of Star Wars carries a lot of weight (ANH is my favorite, btw). I've seen Casablanca, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, and of course Star Wars.

Judging on gravitas, it's amazing that Casablanca and Star Wars are even in the same league as the other 2 as they're much different, more general-audience animals made on the cheap with a rushed budget (the plane at the end of Casablanca is a 2-d painted element in forced perspective with little people acting as the ground crew). So I think those each have a huge leg up in that respect, they weren't made to be fine quality acting and writing and directing, they were made just to entertain and they reached the pinnacle of their medium anyway. I mean, it's not hard to be surprised when a $75 porterhouse steak is a great dinner, but when you start with cube steak and it tastes just as good, it's all the more marvelous.

I think it's safe to say Star Wars is the greatest movie of all time because of several factors...

The film is epic in scope and grand in adventure.
It creates an entirely unique cinematic universe that still feels close and authentic.
The pacing is perfect.
The underlying hero's journey theme is well-crafted (even if there are a lot of sacrifices in the storytelling).
It's incredibly approachable, no matter who you are or where you come from, you can jump into the film and connect to it instantly.
It has an amazing cast of characters.
It presents old ideas in an exciting new manner and truly is the first movie to entirely fulfill the promises of cinema without being too wrapped up in elitist artistic attitudes (I'm not knocking artistic merits in cinema, but they're tailored for a specific audience rather than a general one) or too interested in merely showing off the eye-candy.
It was, is, and perhaps always will be a true phenomenon in our culture.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Casablanca is a better movie. Sorry. Better luck next time.

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Wow, way to defend your opinion. :rolleyes:

2-1B
11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
It's funny cuz Chux said that while boasting a GIJoe sig line. lol lol lol

decadentdave
11-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Here are my top 10:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Blade Runner
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. Apocalypse Now
7. The Fountain
8. THX-1138
9. Tron
10. Dark City

bigbarada
11-08-2007, 12:49 AM
We're talking about "the greatest of all time", which has a societal impact to it - I may think ESB is a better film personally, but the global impact of Star Wars carries a lot of weight (ANH is my favorite, btw). I've seen Casablanca, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, and of course Star Wars.

Judging on gravitas, it's amazing that Casablanca and Star Wars are even in the same league as the other 2 as they're much different, more general-audience animals made on the cheap with a rushed budget (the plane at the end of Casablanca is a 2-d painted element in forced perspective with little people acting as the ground crew). So I think those each have a huge leg up in that respect, they weren't made to be fine quality acting and writing and directing, they were made just to entertain and they reached the pinnacle of their medium anyway. I mean, it's not hard to be surprised when a $75 porterhouse steak is a great dinner, but when you start with cube steak and it tastes just as good, it's all the more marvelous.

I think it's safe to say Star Wars is the greatest movie of all time because of several factors...

The film is epic in scope and grand in adventure.
It creates an entirely unique cinematic universe that still feels close and authentic.
The pacing is perfect.
The underlying hero's journey theme is well-crafted (even if there are a lot of sacrifices in the storytelling).
It's incredibly approachable, no matter who you are or where you come from, you can jump into the film and connect to it instantly.
It has an amazing cast of characters.
It presents old ideas in an exciting new manner and truly is the first movie to entirely fulfill the promises of cinema without being too wrapped up in elitist artistic attitudes (I'm not knocking artistic merits in cinema, but they're tailored for a specific audience rather than a general one) or too interested in merely showing off the eye-candy.
It was, is, and perhaps always will be a true phenomenon in our culture.

:thumbsup:

What I believe really sets Star Wars apart is that it's not isolated to a specific culture or period of human history. You really could show this film to just about anybody who has ever lived on the earth and the basic theme would resonate with them. Even if they couldn't understand English, the film is visually powerful enough to get it's message across. I think the story of the hero's fight against injustice is encoded into our DNA somewhere.

Medieval royalty, Aborigine tribesmen, Hebrew slaves in Egypt, etc., if they saw Star Wars, I think they would all "get it" without too many problems.

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 12:56 AM
no, sorry, that would have to go to "Indiana Jones".

Some people just arent into star wars, but everyone likes Indiana Jones

bigbarada
11-24-2007, 01:41 AM
no, sorry, that would have to go to "Indiana Jones".

Some people just arent into star wars, but everyone likes Indiana Jones

I'm assuming you mean Raiders of the Lost Ark, since we're talking about individual films not film series'. That is pretty much a perfect movie, though. I just don't think it's had the impact of Star Wars, but I could be mistaken.

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Sorry guys, meant Raiders of the Lost Ark
oops

Luuuuuuke
11-26-2007, 02:41 AM
I don't know what the greatest movie of all time is, but it's not Star Wars.

Not that A New Hope and Empire aren't great.

Tonysmo
11-26-2007, 06:20 AM
when you think about social impact.. The Breakfast Club came out while I was a freshman in HS. It was such the perfect movie for me at that age as I could relate to everything that movie had to offer.

so.. in fairness.. one of the greatest movies of all time.. in my book.. was The Breakfast Club.

but Star Wars is up there too.. :P

CaptainSolo1138
11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Tonysmo is my favorite movie.

bobafrett
11-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't know about greatest. It is one of my most favorite films, and will always be #1 in my personal top 10 films of all time, but most influential it has indeed been. I still see shows to this day that quote lines from the original SW ANH. What other films have inspired so much creativity amongst fans, as well as having their own exhibits at museums, and attract quite the following as these films have? I would have a hard time trying to find any film with quite the staying power as ANH.

Tonysmo
11-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Tonysmo is my favorite movie.

There is an easter egg on the dvd if you can find it.

Happy endings ftw!

CaptainSolo1138
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Happy endings ftw!
2girls1smo?

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
I dunno frett, when I'm not playing the 2001: A Space Odyssey video game or online chatting in one of the dozens of 2k1:ASO web forums, or correcting my many friends and family members who misquote lines from the movie, I'm out collecting all the exciting 2001 action figures.

Tonysmo
11-28-2007, 02:28 AM
2girls1smo?

buwhahahahahaha

- and Ive yet to clicky that link.. I know.. but I dont want to know.. ya know? *shudder*

CaptainSolo1138
11-28-2007, 07:57 AM
and Ive yet to clicky that link.. I know.. but I dont want to know.. ya know? *shudder*Do it. It'll change your life.