PDA

View Full Version : George A. Romero's "Diary of the Dead"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Romero's new film has a release date of February 15th, 2008!! This flick is shot in documentary fashion ala "The Blair Witch Project" as it follows a group of film students who are filming the undead while trying to survive. The film has recieved FANTASTIC reviews thus far from Variety, Bloody Disgusting, Fangoria and from AICN. Consider me really excited! :thumbsup:

Here's a link to an image gallery: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/gallery/photodir.php?dir=1032

Hopefully we'll get a trailer soon.

Enjoy fellow zombie fanatics!!! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
11-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Dear Diary,
BRAINS!
BRAINS!
BRAINS!

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I expected something more like,

April 4.

Dear Diary,
Today was a rather uneventful day. I'm still in the coffin, still unable to move. A worm did eat my left index finger, though, which is the most interesting thing to happen to me all week.

Edit: Dammit, Rocketboy beat me by just seconds! (Odd that his post time shows four minutes earlier, though, when it wasn't there thirty seconds ago.)

2-1B
11-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Guy, they don't want you linking I guess ? :( I will go there to look, thanks for the heads up. :)

I'm super pumped at the thought of a 5th Dead film...I just wish they would get rid of all references to that POS movie Blair Witch Project. I don't like the sound of that, so hopefully George F***ing Romero's film isn't actually anything like it. lol lol lol

DarthQuack
11-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Awesome, looking forward to more blood and gore!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Alright, I KNOW I started a thread about this a while back, but after several searches, I can no longer find it, so if anybody else finds it, please link and i'll merge it.

Anywho, here is the trailer for the film!!!! http://www.myspace.com/diaryofthedead Looks very tasty!! and here are some new pics from the flick as well: http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/44/4644/gal2889/

I'm still VERY excited about this film! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Looks pretty sweet, Romero looks like he's 112 but he's still kicking!

2-1B
01-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the linkage JMGuy, I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Land of the Dead was amazing IMO so I can't wait to see what George F***ing Romero does with this 5th installment.

UKWildcat
02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one. I like how Romero kinda returned to his original concept (NOTLD) with this movie, how the characters (or students) in the movie are witnessing the terror unfold first hand, witnessing how the zombies came to be, how and when it all began. Whereas, with the later installments, the concept or idea of the living dead has already been accepted, and where the dead are in much greater numbers (so it appears). So this one has the potential to be very scary, and not just good gory fun, which I am sure it will be too. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm about to see if it's moved to my area this week. The closest place it opened around here was Detroit, which is about an hour, 10 minutes from where i'm at here in Toledo. I honestly don't feel like driving 2 1/2 hours round trip for an hour and a half movie.

According to BOM, the film did make about $280,000 last weekend on 42 screens. That's good........right? I dunno how to calculate this crap. But that's a lot of $$ for 42 screens. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Found that thread JMG. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
merged them. thanks! :thumbsup:

2-1B
02-24-2008, 02:26 PM
WTF is going on with this movie ? :cry:

It's not playing ANYWHERE near me...I fear I will miss this in the theater. :cry:

I saw Land of the Dead twice in the theater and would like to see this one twice as well. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Same here. I just checked all the theaters around me and it is no where to be found. Is it going to get a wide release at some point? I hope. :nerv:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I was Cali over the weekend and it was playing in several theaters in the area, so my buddy and I caught a showing. Here is my formal review.

"George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead"- Romero's next installment in the much loved Dead series is another gory, scary film that has the usual Romero satire and social commentary.

The film opens with a camera crew covering a crime scene: a man has murdered his wife, son and them himself and what begins as a simple report at the scene turns into something far scarier as the man and woman soon rise and attack their would be helpers. Within seconds, chaos strikes as the media tries to report the incident while some report the truth and others report lies in an effort to curb the fear of the public. We then get a voice over from Debra (Michelle Morgan) telling us that we are about to see the movie that her boyfriend, Jason (Joshua Close), shot when the proverbial **** hit the fan. Jason leads a group of college students from Pittsburgh who are filming a horror movie out in the country when one of the students, Eliot (Joe Dinicol) lets the rest of the group know about what is going on in the world around them: the dead are rising and attacking the living. The group immediately wonders what they should do. One of the students, Ridley (Philip Riccio) suggests they come back to his parents place as they're rich and have a large house that could provide protection. He takes off towards home with one of the students while Jason heads back to Debra's dorm to track her down and soon the group starts driving in their winnebago towards Scranton, PA, where Debra lives to hopefully find shelter and answers. They are joined by a few other film students and their alcohol flask wielding professor, Maxwell (Scott Wentworth), who has tagged along to advise them on their film project. The small group of survivors must now face off against a never ending horde of walking dead as well as other groups of survivors who will stop at nothing to gather supplies and survive the zombie outbreak.

As for as Romero's films go, this flick has far more obvious political messages in it. Every so often, we get a voice over from Debra who tries to explain the sitaution and gives her two cents on it as well. I didn't mind it at all, but some Romero fans might be annoyed. Romero's flicks are always full of satire and commentary (the zombies wandering aimlessly around a mall in "Dawn of the Dead" is still genius to see to this day) and this flick is no exception as Romero takes aim at the world of the media who can sometimes present lies and cover things up. It's actually kind of odd as Romero uses lots of the common technological things which we use today, ie- Youtube and myspace. Let me explain: some of the updates from people around the world come from youtube as people post about how to destroy the creatures (ie- blunt force to the brain/head) and pieces of the film are uploaded to Jason's myspace film page. It's an odd twist, but I thought it was actually pretty clever: news coming from honest people who are trying to save others lives; plus, in today's in world that's where a lot of the media and news are coming from: the internet, blogs, video news sites, etc. I liked how he incorporated today's technology and media into the film as they work pretty well, but he also shows how some of this information can be incorrect or just plain lies. I also found it interesting how Romero portrays the problems that lie in seeking the truth and how it could lead to tragedy or mayhem. And it is nice to see a horror film that actual has an underlying theme or issue. Lots of today's films are just bad torture scenes and very little else (looking at you Eli Roth). That was one aspect I found refreshing.

In the scheme of things, it looks like this flick is a reboot and jump starts the Dead saga from a different angle. This is the beginning of the whole ordeal and Romero has stated that this starts the saga from a new angle. What this means for the future, I don't know. I would like to visit his world post "Land of the Dead" but I also would like to see where he could take this new story and setting. Then again, i could easily see this film following right after or even happening in the same time as "night" and while the technological advancements weren't mentioned in "Night", but I couldn't see that as a problem if i was watching them all as one single progression of time.

The film however is not without its fair share of problems. The voice over narration was used a bit too much in my opinion and it felt as though Romero was trying to get his point across dramatically and aside from the beginning and end, i didn't think narration was necessary. Maybe Romero thought some of today's audiences needed to be told the themes of the film (a criticism I could probably somewhat agree on), but at times I just wanted no outside input and the freedom to think on my own. Also, some of the characters in the film aren't really ones we'd root for: they're selfish, arrogant, and at times downright irritating. I know they were written that way and Romero succeeded in creating the characters, I think some folks might have a problem rooting for a few characters. They're not all like this mind you (like the most kick *** Amish character to ever appear on screen- sorry Harrison Ford) and it didn't bother me as it made the film more realistic, but some folks will have issues with it.

Now, the way the film is shot is very similar to "Cloverfield" as it is first person handcam (this flick was filmed and finished before CF started filming, FYI), but don't worry, it's FAAAAAAAAAAR steadier and doesn't give nearly the amount of issues some had in "Cloverfield." It actually provides for some pretty intense scenes as you don't know when the camera is going to pan over to a member of the undead. One scene in particular that takes place in a hospital is pretty crazy to watch at times due to the up close and personal view we get. I will say that the film doesn't have as much as gore and spooks as previous Dead films, but the scenes which we get are really solid and enjoyable. I have to say that I don't know where this falls into a list of my favorite Romero zombie films. I enjoy all of them quite a bit and this one is very solid stuff.

And if you're a Romero fan like myself, be on the lookout for some easter eggs from previous films (including a cameo from the man himself) and even the remake of "Dawn." There also voice cameos from Stephen King, Simon Pegg, Quentin Tarantino, and Guillermo Del Toro, which I originally missed. I guess i'll have to keep my ears ready when I see the flick again. However, fans of the original "Night" will easily catch a great audio easter egg from that flick; I couldn't help but smile. Also, anybody who read the leaked Romero version of the unused "Resident Evil" script will immediately recognize a fantatic zombie kill from that script that is used in the movie. While this isn't Romero's strongest zombie outing, it's still damn worthy of joining the Saga of the Undead. Rating- *** out of ****

Hope you enjoyed the review. Let me know what you think or if anybody else has finally caught the flick! :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Awesome. Glad to hear you were able to see the movie JMG. But before I read that nice lengthy review, are there spoilers a plenty?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Awesome. Glad to hear you were able to see the movie JMG. But before I read that nice lengthy review, are there spoilers a plenty?

nah, not really. I discuss some basic plot info; who the kids are, what they're doing at the beginning, some info on the beginning of the outbreak (which can be seen in the trailers) and that's it. I post my reviews here and on my blogs and I get a decent amount of hits, so I keep things spoiler free. I do mention a blurb from the unused "Resident Evil" script from Romero that is in the flick. And I do discuss good points of the film and gripes I had with it, but I try not to go too specific. I'm anti-spoilers as it is.

Darth Jax
03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Thankfully it's still playing in Denver, so i hope to catch it over the weekend.

Darth Jax
03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
i managed to catch it over the weekend thanks to independent theaters. i enjoyed it a lot. not many scares in it, but it was quite funny. JMG did a great job summing it up, without giving away any spoilers. if you're a dead fan you need to see it.

2-1B
03-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I saw it and loved it, not as much as the last 3 but it was pretty good. It's a shame this picture will be mentioned in the same breath as such garbage as Blair Witch and Cloverfield because even though I wasn't big on the camera angles at times, I still thought the movie was good.

I loved the cameo by George F***ing Romero but I found it unbelievable that an old cop would have long hair tucked underneath his cap. :D

Greg Nicotero made for a lug of a zombie, very cool to see him in this one as well. :thumbsup:

As far as continuity, I like what JMG said about following Night. :thumbsup: I know the technology doesn't jive, but the zombie progression is in sync, could even run concurrently with Dawn. Hell, the way they are holed up at the end, by the time they come out it could almost be like Day and pre-Land. :cry:

This is a rare film series that can still work independently of the time it was created in because the technological differences don't bother me. :)

UNFORTUNATELY, I missed the very beginning. :rolleyes:
I noticed we FINALLY got it at ONE of our local theaters and I figured I better jump on it since it's not gonna be around long. So I hustled after work to get over there for a 4:45 showing and I literally walked up to the counter at 4:46. No big deal, since there's commercials and trailers galore, so I figured I had 9 minutes to spare. Wrong! The girl at the ticket booth said "just so you know, there are no trailers with this movie so it already started."

I walked in as Debra's voiceover was talking about Jason's film and the warnings or whatever. Then they cut to the Mummy stuff. Looks like I missed a couple decent scenes ? :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I saw it and loved it, not as much as the last 3 but it was pretty good. It's a shame this picture will be mentioned in the same breath as such garbage as Blair Witch and Cloverfield because even though I wasn't big on the camera angles at times, I still thought the movie was good.

I loved the cameo by George F***ing Romero but I found it unbelievable that an old cop would have long hair tucked underneath his cap. :D

Greg Nicotero made for a lug of a zombie, very cool to see him in this one as well. :thumbsup:

As far as continuity, I like what JMG said about following Night. :thumbsup: I know the technology doesn't jive, but the zombie progression is in sync, could even run concurrently with Dawn. Hell, the way they are holed up at the end, by the time they come out it could almost be like Day and pre-Land. :cry:

This is a rare film series that can still work independently of the time it was created in because the technological differences don't bother me. :)

UNFORTUNATELY, I missed the very beginning. :rolleyes:
I noticed we FINALLY got it at ONE of our local theaters and I figured I better jump on it since it's not gonna be around long. So I hustled after work to get over there for a 4:45 showing and I literally walked up to the counter at 4:46. No big deal, since there's commercials and trailers galore, so I figured I had 9 minutes to spare. Wrong! The girl at the ticket booth said "just so you know, there are no trailers with this movie so it already started."

I walked in as Debra's voiceover was talking about Jason's film and the warnings or whatever. Then they cut to the Mummy stuff. Looks like I missed a couple decent scenes ? :(

Glad you caught it and enjoyed it, Cae!! And that's odd about the trailers as our film had a few trailers in front of it. Odd! :confused:

as for anything you missed, i'm pretty sure all you missed was the scene where the TV camera crew is filming a murder scene and the undead come to life and start attacking. It's the scene from the trailer and it's referenced throughout the film as it's the scene that gets edited down by the media to curb hysteria, etc. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

2-1B
03-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the update, well if it isn't yanked from the theater ASAP (which I suspect it will :cry: ) then I'll go see it again for sure...of course, I'll be getting the DVD as well. :thumbsup:

As for the trailers, that's a good question...unless my theater just didn't get a trailer reel and had nothing else to slap on before it ? :confused:

Darth Jax
03-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Lack of trailers was odd. There were several before the movie when i saw it. The only time i've seen movies without trailers was at the dollar theater. As mentioned by JMG you really didn't miss too, too much cuz the news footage of the dead rising reappeared several times later in the film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Just a reminder: the movie hits DVD on Tuesday!! BEST BUY has an exclusive boxset where you get the movie and a free book, THE ZEN OF ZOMBIE. Check the book out here (http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Zombie-Better-Living-Through/dp/1602391874/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211123930&sr=8-1) :thumbsup:

2-1B
05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
thanks for the heads up, I'll be getting this DVD to complete the Quintology.

Darth Jax
05-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Since i picked up the book months ago at Border's i'll be passing on the Best Buy set. Definitely will be purchasing the movie though.

OC47150
05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
My buddies and I get together once a month or so for guys movie night. I hosted the most recent (this past Friday night). We had planned a Hest Fest, a night of Charlton Heston movies. We did watch Soylent Green (Omega Man was going to be the second feature), but one of the guys brought Diary of the Dead, and we were all unanimous about watching it.

It was great. A thoroughly enjoyable zombie movie. Romero got it right. I hope he continues the storyline.

It is too bad that this movie will be said in the same breath as Blair Witch and Cloverfield.

bigbarada
05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I've been really wanting to see a new zombie movie, so I'll definitely have to check this out. Shawn of the Dead made me a fan of the genre and now I can't seem to get enough of them.

However, the ads say that you can only rent it at Blockbuster, but I don't have a Blockbuster Video within 50 miles of my house, so is buying it my only option?

2-1B
05-27-2008, 07:25 PM
My mom got me this as a bday gift so I can finally watch the part I missed in the theater!

I am watching it tonight as soon as Happy Gilmore is over.

OC47150
05-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I've been really wanting to see a new zombie movie, so I'll definitely have to check this out. Shawn of the Dead made me a fan of the genre and now I can't seem to get enough of them.

However, the ads say that you can only rent it at Blockbuster, but I don't have a Blockbuster Video within 50 miles of my house, so is buying it my only option?

Give it a couple of weeks and then it will be available everywhere.

And it will be worth the wait. :yes:

UKWildcat
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I just watched this movie and I wasn't impressed at all.

I don't know...

The acting was pretty terrible at times. I know this documentary style of film making isn't supposed to lend itself to Oscar winning performances, but the acting in Cloverfield was much better, and that isn't really saying a whole lot.

I did not really care about, or really like, any of the characters. The only character I liked was the professor.

The movie seemed to suffer from a lack of any real direction. I got the sense that things were just happening, for the sake of happening, and no other reason. Nothing was really adding to the story that was being told. We knew right from the get-go that people who were dead were coming back and attacking the living, and then those would die and return to attack the living as well; the whole concept of a zombie. The kids who were shooting this documentary knew the same thing, but didn't know why. And at the end of the movie, they still didn't know why; and for us, as a viewer, nothing really progressed from the beginning of the movie, til the end; at least for me anyways. We knew what was happening at the beginning, and the same thing was happening at the end. Almost seemed like a waste of time sense nothing really happened in between; except traveling from place to place with death sequences in between.

One thing that was progressing throughout the film was the bashing of the media, and how they alter/edit stories to trick or deceive the public. Sorry, but this is one of the last things I want to be portrayed and shoved into my face while I watch a zombie film.

One of the few bright spots for this movie, for me, was the gore. This is about all this movie had going for it. Some really cool death scenes with some really cool special effects to boot. Although the Amish guy's death scene was hardly believable and I couldn't help but shake my head and laugh at that one; maybe this was the intention?

That one pistol (that the girl shot herself with) had a crap load of bullets too. I'm sure a lot of people would love to own clips like that. I know, there are countless movies out there that suffer from the same lack of reality as far as ammunition goes, but this movie was supposed to reflect an unedited reality and actuality to the whole event, and this mess up didn't do it any favors. It is a movie, I know.

One of the end sequences were the zombie Mummy dude was chasing that Texas chick and the dude was filming it, saying "I told you the dead were slow", was just horrible. I didn't even think it was funny, which I know it was supposed to be. I just thought it was stupid.

I could go on and on about what I did not like about this movie, but I will not. Maybe I am being too harsh. Maybe I need to subject myself to another viewing and change my perspective on things a bit (like, forget it is a Romero film), might be able to appreciate the movie in a different light. One thing is for sure though, after that first viewing, I was severely disappointed, and at times, couldn't believe what I was watching.

Like I said, I did like the gore and special effects, and Romero's cameo was pretty sweet.

If there is going to be some kind of sequel to this movie, not the Dead movies before it, but a sequel to Diary, that actually goes somewhere and expands on what we just saw, then this could help change my opinion and alter my view of this film; granted, the movie is good and something actually happens. If there is no sequel, which might not be a bad thing, then this movie was mostly a waste of time for me.
Kind of like what the original trilogy did, how Dawn expanded off of Night, and etc. So there definitely could be future potential here... But I'd hate to see him, Romero, modernize and remake the classic films though; which is what we could be in the process of happening?!?!?!? This movie did have similarities to NOTLD, which Romero stated he wanted to do, return to the roots of it.

EDIT: I did check IMDB and apparently, there is a sequel in the works for 2009; "Diary of the Dead Sequel".

It does pain me to write some of these harsh things, but I wanted to be honest with my initial thoughts on this movie. I am a huge Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead and Romero fan, as many of you know, but this movie is easily my least favorite and just shows me that Romero has further lost what he had while in his prime. I just felt extremely disconnected to this film.

I did buy the DVD and I will definitely watch it again, probably weeks, if not months, from now, and who knows, maybe my opinion will change. I did just watch it like a couple hours ago, and while I am still somewhat digesting it, these negative thoughts and feelings are still with me. :neutral:

RooJay
07-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just happened to come across it while snooping around in here, and I felt like I needed to give my two cents worth:

First off, let me just say that I am a huge Romero fan and an even bigger zombie fan. I absolutely love the genre! That being said, I absolutely hated this movie. I actually find it hard to believe that it was directed by the master himself, and am far more inclined to believe that it was actually ghost-written by someone else, and that Romero's name was only applied in order to make this garbage more marketable. It's not even really that the movie is that bad - there are some things about it that are decent enough to make it watchable on television, though if I had seen it in the theater I certainly never would have bought it on DVD; not even for the sake of completing my collection. The acting was absolutely dreadful, even by the standards of your average, low-budget horror flick - most of the cast seemed like they would be far better suited to local theater than any kind of professional acting (my apologies for offending anyone here who is involved in local theater, but in my experience most local theater efforts have been laughable at best.) the cinematography was no better than anything I ever accomplished as a pre-teen while screwing around making movies in my back yard (even though it was intended, much like Blair Witch and Cloverfield, to look like it was being filmed by those actually participating in the events, none of it looked even remotely real in any way - in fact, every one of Romero's previous efforts came off as much more realistic), the dialogue was absolutely ridiculous, and even the direction seemed completely devoid of any and all direction. As I'm sure you can tell - I was extremely disappointed by this movie, and absolutely refuse to believe that Romero had anything to do with it other than lending his name. I'd like to get more into detail about what I thought was wrong with this movie, but I think UKWildcat up there has already pretty much said it all.

bigbarada
07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I watched it and I wasn't really that impressed with it at all. It's a copycat of Blair Witch Project, but it's not even a very good copycat. These "recorded while they are happening" movies don't really work that well, because so much screen time needs to be devoted to explaining exactly why someone is recording all of these horrific events and not running for their lives or stopping to render aid.

Overall I think I was just disappointed because there weren't enough zombies. Zombies by themselves aren't really scary at all, in fact they are more comical. So I think the real horror comes in being overrun by hordes of zombies.