PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted: What is the value of my collection?

RobertDD
11-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi all,

I haven't been posting for a while and have been here less and less as I am a Action Fleet collector (and Titanium Ultra, which is the same thing to me) and that line is deader than dead these days. :cry:

However, the other day my wife told me I had to add the collection to our insurance, which makes a lot of sense, except I don't know what it's worth. So here's the question:

I collected everything called Star Wars Action Fleet in every paint variation, including the elusive three button remote At-At, the white ring X-wing Alpha, the green A-wing without decals, etc, etc. You get the drift. I also collected every Star Wars Titanium Ultra. The collection is complete, mint, loose (no boxes) and has been housed in a custom made glass case (except for the Titaniums in their plastic bubbles, as I just did not have the space in the case anymore).

What, would you estimate, is the value of this collection today/what should I insure this for? You guys are the experts.

I posted some photo's of my collection a while back: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=23960

PS: Just to make this entirely clear, this collection is not for sale now and never will be.

Thanks all!
Robert

Blue2th
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
The only "up to the minute" way is to go on eBay, click on completed auctions on the left tool-bar (of the category-item you choose) then go to the upper right of those items listed and choose "highest prices"

This will show you what each example of your collection is going for in completed auctions of the last 30 days in today's market. Though it is an on-line auction, it is better than magazine guides which are sometimes out-dated. Though I'm sure some of your items could be in Lee's Action figures magazine. So between those two you should get a ball-park estimate of worth.

RobertDD
11-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Blue,

I do realize that I could get an up to the minute price off of ebay with a lot of work, researching selling prices of older auctions, etc. Four or five years ago I did excactly that and I knew what I should to pay for the items I did not have yet, and at what price I was getting a great deal. There are a few problems with that method, though:

1. Ebay sells mostly mint in box, my collection is mint but loose. How does that affect the price?
2. Prices on ebay are on a per item basis. I have a complete collection. How does that affect the price?

Furthermore, I know some out here are watching ebay like a hawk, like I used to, and are up to date on current pricing, I am not anymore.

I suspect the way to put a price to a collection like mine is to attach a price to highly sought after items (and I do not know which ones those are, especially for the ep1 and later stuff I know prices have been on the rise for some of them) and then add in a token amount per ship that doesn't fetch a premium (like $1, or maybe $2?).

As far as I know, and last time I checked, Lee's was/is terribly incomplete and inaccurate and misses some of the rarest items in my collection, so I wouldn't want to use that.

Most importantly is that the figure I come up with isn't mine, but is yours, the experts', figure.

So I ask once again, what do you guys think it is worth?

LTBasker
11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, your stuff may be loose but it's safely kept in a very nice display cabinet, so their value would be slightly higher than normal if you were to ever resell them. People tend to pay more when they have proof an item has been very well taken care of.

I'd start at retail for everything and then raise prices depending on rarity and/or how much extra you might have paid. I can't actually see any reason to lower a price from retail if that's what you paid, because it's not like these are widely available. And, who knows if they'll suddenly become rare between now and if something eventually happens to your collection?

But right off the bat I'll just say it's probably worth ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS! :D

RobertDD
11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
right off the bat I'll just say it's probably worth ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS! :D

Sold to the gentleman in the white suit!:D

But seriously, I think retail for most of this is too much...

El Chuxter
11-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd say at least twelve dollars.

Blue2th
11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't know but it's a funny thing, that I notice, and even people like Adam Paulus of Galactic Hunter, who mentioned the oddity in his column, that people will bid on loose figures more than MIMB. Providing they have all their accessories. Some times even not depending on rarity.

This could be for a few reasons:

Alot of people like loose.

You/they save a bundle on shipping. Especially combined shipping (you calculate the savings-be reasonable)

They know what to expect.

Next time you do a search, compare loose to MIMB (which is very decieving sometimes)

Darth Duranium
11-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Hard to value a collection like that... have the same problem. Sounds like you have protos and ultra-rare variants... these would probably worth more if you broke them out of the collection.

Most collectors like me are missing only a few AF vehicles and don't need dupes of everything we already have. I don't remember some of the variants you mention... I'll have to look at Sicqnus' great site again, if they're in there. Probably are...

Currently, some of the AF EP 1 ships are worth the most, I'd think. The Sith Infiltrators, the Royal Starships, the Alpha Droid Fighter, and the Alpha Naboo Starfighter go for a hefty price due to the cancellation of the AF line mid-wave. The Tie Defender and Rebel E-Wing are pricey, too.

As for Titanium Ultra, the first Republic Gunship and the Falcon are worth a little more than most but most are pretty flat, price-wise. The Ultra Galactica was going for $50+ but has bottomed since a dollar store chain got their hands on about ...oh, a million of them. Frack 'em.

For the rare ones I mention, the boxed price is not much more than the loose price... they're that rare.

I'd buy a Star Wars collector price guide and use that to price the collection...higher numbers, in my view. I'd use retail as the bottom price, too. Always over-insure as depreciation comes into play.

eBay is too much of a bargain for stuff like this, if you're a savvy buyer. Savvy?

I'm sure we could help out with some of the rarer ones, though. Your pic is kinda distant and glare-y, if you know what I mean. Post some better pics and we'll take a boo...

Your collection? I bid 3 quatloos.

2-1B
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
hi Robert, how does your insurance rider work? Do you need PROOF of their value ? Is there a ceiling to how much you can declare in value for whatever premium you are paying ?
If so, I would just declare it near the maximum reimbursement your insurance would allow in case something awful happened. eBay is a pretty up and down guide for value so that isn't very concrete. At least with price guides you can have something timestamped and published which is something the insurance company will accept as proof of "value."

Plus, those price guides usually overstate the value on something and people rarely pay it, so in the event of destruction, at least you can get a few extra dollars out of it. ;)

RobertDD
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Sounds like you have protos and ultra-rare variants...
Yup, I have them all. Except the four screw falcon (or the three screw, I miss one of these, at any rate (I will have to check now))

Currently, some of the AF EP 1 ships are worth the most, I'd think. The Sith Infiltrators, the Royal Starships, the Alpha Droid Fighter, and the Alpha Naboo Starfighter go for a hefty price due to the cancellation of the AF line mid-wave. The Tie Defender and Rebel E-Wing are pricey, too.
See, I have all that, but when I bought them they were retail. Except for the TD and the EW, I paid through the nose for those...
So what are the ships of ep1 that are worth anything, and how much?

The Ultra Galactica was going for $50+ but has bottomed since a dollar store chain got their hands on about ...oh, a million of them. Frack 'em.
Yeah, I did not pick that one up, as I am only doing Star Wars.

I'm sure we could help out with some of the rarer ones, though. Your pic is kinda distant and glare-y, if you know what I mean. Post some better pics and we'll take a boo...
I will see what I can come up with, though it's hard to photograph this stuff well.

Your collection? I bid 3 quatloos.
I take the three gazilion from the previous bidder, thank you very much, :D

RobertDD
11-06-2007, 11:13 AM
how does your insurance rider work? Do you need PROOF of their value ? Is there a ceiling to how much you can declare in value for whatever premium you are paying ?
Good questions and I have to still figure most of that out. What I do know is that I need some sort of evaluation done, not by me. I was hoping to be able to print this thread at some point and say: "this is what the concensus is by the most expert people I know of". In that light, a generally accepted method of evaluating is as valid and as useful to me as an actual dollar value.

I really was hoping we could id the valuable items in the collection, attach dollar value, then figure out an acceptable dollar value for each less valuable item. That would allow me to do the math and have some documentation on it at the same time. I honestly don't know how to do it better than that, but I welcome your input!

Blue2th
11-06-2007, 04:02 PM
I've also got alot of Action Fleet. Some are rare. It's some of the Episode 1's that were going for astronomical prices as DT said.
Though the prices have leveled off a bit.
Your post reminded me that I still am missing the Alpha Sith Infiltrator two-pack.
I have all the other ones. Man, some funky cool designs! They're twice the size of the regular ships, in the same box.
I'm watching one Sith two-pack right now for a possible bid if it doesn't go to high.
I acually like the Alphas better.

There's also a guy selling his collection of loose Ep 1 Action Fleet on eBay.
I don't know, seems to me these are irriplacable. Some people get out of the hobby. These would be the last thing I sold if I did.
I'm watching a couple of these too just to see what they go for.
Here's one that ends today http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-ACTION-FLEET-ALPHA-TRADE-FEDERATION-FIGHTER_W0QQitemZ270182829803QQihZ017QQcategoryZ75 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Darth Duranium
11-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Yup, you'll have to make a list, at the least. Would love to see the rare ones so take some pics... make it worth our while. I'll take a stab at it and I'm sure others will pitch in.

Sicqnus's site is a good starting point and might carry some weight... a guide may not be very complete, Action Fleet wise.

I like the AF alphas, too... these "protos" don't exist in any other 3d form.

Darth Duranium
11-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Sicqnus's site has a great checklist... check out

http://www.sicqnus.com/aide.htm

Copy it into a spreadsheet or word and voila.

Pricing's a little out of date in the main site... some high, some low. The list will be very helpful and the rarity colour coding's dead right. eBay should fill in the prices of the rare ones. We could figure out how to value each colour (i.e. darkest brown $125). Could be a quick and nasty way to do your task.

Use Babelfish to translate the rest of the site, if you don't parle the francais.

Shame they never did an alpha Falcon... they converted most of the original pirate ship design into the Tantive IV 'cuz it looked too much like an Eagle from Space 1999. They saved the cockpit, though.

You've got the 3 button AT-AT? Unbelievably rare... Sicqnus says (in french, I think) that he knows of only 3 in existence. Wow... it'll be worth a lot on eBay.

I've got some of the variants you mention but I'm not sure they're worth a great deal more than the standard versions. Depends.

It's the rare EP 1 ships that sell for a pantload of cash. I didn't know some of them were fan club exclusives but I'm happy to own 'em... except for the frackin' alpha droid fighter. One went for $82 tonight on eBay.

The non-corded Trade Fed tank is mega-rare, too.

RobertDD
11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Sicqnus's site has a great checklist... [...] the rarity colour coding's dead right. eBay should fill in the prices of the rare ones. We could figure out how to value each colour [...] Could be a quick and nasty way to do your task.
I did not realize Sicqnus had that list up. That's a great starting point, and I think your way of evaluating is correct (i.e. giving each color a price tag). So let's hear it, what seems to be the pricing for Siqnus list?

You've got the 3 button AT-AT? Unbelievably rare... Sicqnus says (in french, I think) that he knows of only 3 in existence. Wow... it'll be worth a lot on eBay.
I know of only three in existence, 1 with me, 1 used to belong to forum member R2dee2, who's site (now sadly gone) used to be the go-to place for all Action Fleet variants, and 1 with forum member Shinakuma43. FYI, I bought mine of off e-bay for $15 with Buy It Now.

The non-corded Trade Fed tank is mega-rare, too.
Really? I have an extra one of those laying around somewhere, funny story, I got scammed on ebay (my one and only time) and got a bunch of opened toys instead of the MIMB stuff I was supposed to get, and some where broken (wheels broken of the sub, stickers sloppy applied to the Otoh Gunga playset, stuff like that) but there was a mint, opened TF tank there. Who's laughing now, hahahaha (that would be me)
Uh, how much do those go for?

Darth Duranium
11-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Robert, I took a stab at it.

Ballpark average price… for insurance purposes… where common (yellow) is 1 from Sicqnus’ list (AF ships only, not playsets or battlepacks) and 6 is very rare (black). Hope it helps somewhat.

1- $15-20
2- $20-25
3- $30-40
4- $40-45
5- $80-120 Hard to generalize here, though… pricing is specific to ship
6- $90-150? Very hard to generalize here, though… pricing is very specific to ship

I can’t help with the playsets… I never collected them… no clue. Battlepacks vary a bit but usually go for around $10-15 individually.

Glad you scored that TF Tank… I hope that you contacted the sleazebag eBay seller to rub it in (insert your maniacal laugh here). That’s one I can’t justify paying around $100 for, though. Maybe I’ll score one in a lot on eBay someday.

The other one I need is the goofy-looking alpha TF Droid Fighter…again, around $80-100. $82 the other night on eBay.

I note that the Republic Gunship and Republic Assault cruiser aren’t on the list… they go for around $30-40. The Bongo is on the list… about $40. Episode 1 ships are definitely the most valuable… we’ve covered all the rare ones earlier (see previous posts – they’re all over $80).

The 3-button AT-AT was a score for $15… but it’s unknown to all except the most ardent AF collectors so I have no idea how much it’s worth. A Collector Fleet Executor goes for about $150. No idea what the numbered boxed AFs go for, either.

Anyway, hope it helps... might provoke some discussion. Oh, and feel free to scootch any spares over here... I'm not proud.

sergiurusu
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
As for the unproduced items and protos Sicqnus has Anakin's Coruscant Speeder and 2 of the Spider Droids. Too bad our friend had some family problems but hopefully will be able to come here and discuss this with us.

ascmclarencoupe
11-13-2007, 11:33 AM
This three-button AT-AT has me intrigued.
A two-button AT-AT goes forward and reverse right?
So in a three-button AT-AT, what does the third button do?

Brent

RobertDD
11-14-2007, 02:33 PM
1- $15-20
2- $20-25
3- $30-40
4- $40-45
5- $80-120 Hard to generalize here, though… pricing is specific to ship
6- $90-150? Very hard to generalize here, though… pricing is very specific to ship

Really? I would have guessed quite a bit lower than these estimates. But I am really appreciative of the list and I will use it unless others have a different estimate.

Oh, and feel free to scootch any spares over here... I'm not proud.

:D No spares, I'm affraid.

As for the unproduced items and protos Sicqnus has Anakin's Coruscant Speeder and 2 of the Spider Droids. Too bad our friend had some family problems but hopefully will be able to come here and discuss this with us.
I did not hear/read about his family trouble? I hope he's doing well. I unfortunately do not have any of the unproduced ones.... I did bid at some unproduced podracers at some point, but the price went way up and I had to let it go to someone else. :(

This three-button AT-AT has me intrigued.
A two-button AT-AT goes forward and reverse right?
So in a three-button AT-AT, what does the third button do?
The third button makes a red led in the middle of the AT-AT's hed light up, and makes it make a sound like the at-at blasters make in ESB. It is actually a great play feature and really adds to the whole rc concept. Artoo used to have a great page up about it. I will see what the wayback machine still has...

RobertDD
11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Hmm, seems R2Dee2's site is completely gone (what a shame, did noone grab a copy to host it somewhere else? that info was invaluable!)

But she did leave a very good picture of the JCP three buitton remote at-at on this site:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=92&ppuser=10

Darth Duranium
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Sicqnus's site has 2 exhaustive pages on this one:

http://www.sicqnus.com/swafcl30.htm

http://www.sicqnus.com/news01.htm

Looks kinda weird with the LED there... like a piece of shrapnel or a harpoon that missed.

Not likely to find one in Canada... we never had JC Penney here. A terrible cross to bear... I'm sobbing into my beer...

Sicqnus is still around... I thanked him for his site a few weeks back on SSG in the Atlas thread. I didn't know he owned any of the protos in the pics, tho.

Seems very nice, too.

We are but mere padowan learners...

RobertDD
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I wondered where Marilyn's AT-AT ended up, and I'm very happy to see that Sicqnus got it. That means it will be well taken care of! It's also good to see that he put up all the scans & pictures of the box and the instruction sheet.

I do wish he would translate his page in English, though. I don't read French and I don't quite understand the alta vista translation of the story behind the origin of the three button at-at.

Darth Duranium
11-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I do wish he would translate his page in English, though. I don't read French and I don't quite understand the alta vista translation of the story behind the origin of the three button at-at.

I do speak french... it just says that JC Penney asked for their own version (after KB's) with different specs... these were available via mail-away coupon, were in production (not protos), and only 3 are known of...

RobertDD
11-16-2007, 12:50 PM
This is (translated) the part I have trouble understanding:

According to my information, the staff of Galoob discharged then from this task on division prototyping of the factory in China which had like directive sufficiently to modify the toy to make of it a model specific to stores JC Penney. Some specimens were manufactured and distributed only on coupons as "Mall-Away" but the diffusion remained so confidential that few amateurs of Fleet Action had wind of its existence.

Does this mean that only a very limited number of prototypes were mailed? Or was there a full production run?

Darth Duranium
11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
RobertDD -

It doesn't say anything about the production run or why it was in such limited numbers... only that JC Penney asked for their own exclusive version and offered it as a "mailaway" with very limited advertising... only a few fans have even heard of it now.

It doesn't clearly say whether the mailed ships were protos or part of their own production run, though I suspect the latter.

Maybe Sicqnus can tell us more...

RobertDD
11-20-2007, 05:11 PM
OK, thanks for clearing that up (although I am not sure how much more I know now than I knew already, lol)

Oh, and I'd love for Sicqnus to chime in. He seems to have some resources others of us don't

pkalan70
11-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Three gazillion, that is from a galaxy far far away. Today's terms : $6.35. Does that include shipping??

sicqnus
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone.

As it has already been said, the JCP AT-AT should have been a Galoob exclusive for JCP.
At the time JCP asked Galoob to study an exclusive item for them, Galoob was busy and working on other projects. As they had no time time to do it by themselves, they asked the Chinese factory which was the AF production plant (one of them as they were several factories contracted to produce the Action Fleet toys - I guess it was the one which has built the previous walking AT-AT for the Kay-Bee stores) to make something different on their own. Then the JCP variant was made in China by the Chinese factory studio and Galoob has very little to do with this project.
What happened after is still a mystery. All AF fans have seen the yellow boxes KB walking AT-AT's (exists in two boxes : small window and large window), but the JCP variant is unknown to almost everyone. When I was buying AFs on Ebay to build my collection, I was almost 24/7 on Ebay during three years (I collect lots of things). I've seen only two for sale : The one won by EvilRyu666 and the other one won by RobertDD. And that's it !
I used to have lots of connections with retailers and good people who allowed me to buy a few rare variants like the numbered AFs or for example, the JC-Penney Yavin playset sold in white box. For this last one, the guy had three playsets for sale if I remember well. I bought one, EvilRyu bought one and this is the last time I've ever heard of this mail-away playset... Same for the AT-AT.
One thing is sure. Very little units have been produced and sent through the "coupons" thing. Maybe because of legal issues between JCP and Galoob the deal was broken soonafter they've launched the offer, not impossible... Who knows...
I had very few contacts with one or two JCP reps. None of them had ever heard of the JCP AT-AT thing. And the very few info I have have been given to me by ex-Galoob staff members.

Best.

RobertDD
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
That is some wicked cool background info on the remote three button at-at there, Sicqnus. Much appreciated. (and BTW, EvilRU666 = Shinakuma43 here on the board. It's not a big secret but he likes to keep that a bit quiet as some here have a personal axe to grind with ppl selling toys on ebay)

As to the Yavin playset in white box: I had no idea that that one was that rare. I bought one of of ebay ages ago. It is still in the (plain white) box, I neve opened it, if I remember correctly. It did have a blue crayon mark on the box, as if some store employee had marked it in an inventarisation.

Now, that playset is identical to the regular one, isn't it?

Darth Duranium
12-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Kudos for Sicqnus... now that's good AF info.

The protos of the unmanufactured ships are very cool, so I can see why you guys mortgage the cat to buy 'em.

What's the beef about selling your stuff on eBay, RobertDD? I would guess that some feel that the items should be offered up on forums like this... a bit unrealistic, I'd think.

A very rarified and small market for the protos in the first place... worldwide, I'll bet it's the same 10 guys bidding for everything, proto-wise! I'd be wicked to see a site devoted to the subject that included bits of everyone's collection. Sicqnus' site comes close.

Considering that about 50% of my stuff came from eBay, I'd probably sell it there, too. It's the only way to get semi-fair market value... but it'll never happen cuz I'll never sell my stuff. Too painful to even think about. If I won a proto on eBay, I'd offer it up here for a fair trade... I'm not out to fleece anyone and it's cool to help other real collectors out.

I'm sure I've bought a few things from EvilRyu666... and I'm sure it was quite reasonable cuz I'm not given to overpaying for anything. Cheap bastard, that's me.

But I hate scalpers who clean out the stores, too. Most uncool. Phasers on kill. Screwing other collectors probably pays well, though.

Certain items get great (and early) distribution "up" here and go for big bucks on eBay... the first Titanium BSG Pegasus could have made me a mint on it's own. I bought 1 instead. Oddly enough, the Ultra Galactica never made it to Canada at all... got it on eBay from the US for $20 way back then, which is fine. eBay is a waiting game.

I think it'd be cool to give the forum a "heads up" so that they could have a shot at the items on eBay... but anyone who had to sell their stuff would likely be doing it for last-ditch financial reasons in the first place.

You wouldn't sell your collection on a whim... I'd have to be on my deathbed in traction with my eyes poked out, for starters. Did I mention the amputations?

RobertDD
12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
The main problem peops have up here is the scalping thing. Especially when those scalpers come up here to find out about pricing and interest in items (as this little community is the premiere place to look for Micro Machines and Action Fleet information). VT especially was a loud vocalist against scalpers (and he helped a lot of peops here to hard to find items at VERY reasonable prices, like cost, certainly much less than he could have gotten for it on ebay, so he put his money where his mouth was).

Now, the term scalper is all over the place. I don't think getting $150+ for your ZAAP box on ebay is scalping, it's just the market, but others disagree. The peops that clean out the toystore, especially in case there are 10 or more items to begin with, I have a little less patience with. However, I have bought multiples of an item myself with intent of selling on ebay before. Like you, much of my collection was bought there in the first place, and money made on ebay is certainly not offsetting the money spend there on AFs at this point, so I don't feel too bad. I have heard rumors of peops buying stuff on here from fellow collectors (like VT), only to turn around and selling for top dollar on ebay. That is totally unacceptable to me. But I guess everybody draws the line somewhere different.

Darth Duranium
12-05-2007, 01:02 AM
I have heard rumors of peops buying stuff on here from fellow collectors (like VT), only to turn around and selling for top dollar on ebay. That is totally unacceptable to me. But I guess everybody draws the line somewhere different.

I'm not sure who VT is, but I gotta say that I agree... reselling under those circumstances would be totally vile... worthy of being flayed alive.

Unless it was was due to some financial misfortune, major illness, bubonic plague, etc... there's gotta be a few exceptions. But to flip it right away?... wow.

Buying extra items for resale on eBay warrants a good slapping around by a rabid Gundark, RobertDD ... I think it helps to create the whole scalping problem in the first place.

That's why so much of the "scalped" stuff gets artificially expensive for us poor, wretched collectors. $40 for the Pegasus or Viper Mk II? $160 for an Alpha Droid Fighter? Ridiculous. It's particularly bad for those who live in small towns, not so much for us urban collectors who have many options.

But hey, at least you're honest about it... and it sounds small-scale. But cut it out...:razz:

Hmmm... is this why you were so reluctant to bring it up? I didn't mean to sound quite so grumpy.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the prospect of other people using the Titanium/AF forums strictly for commercial gain... takes a lot of the fun out of posting for me.

But that's the way it goes... alternate universes existing in the same space.

sergiurusu
12-05-2007, 02:14 AM
I have heard rumors of peops buying stuff on here from fellow collectors (like VT), only to turn around and selling for top dollar on ebay. That is totally unacceptable to me.

If you guys know someone who does this just post their names here. VulcanTouch or R2Dee2 wouldn't have agreed with this! :(

RobertDD
12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
VT = VulcanTouch. He was one of the major contributors to this community and he passed away quite unexpectedly (at least for me) not too long ago. Do a search on the board if you want to know more.

As to the scalper slapping: hey, I have fun doing it (not the slapping... the part you call scalping). The buying and selling on ebay and trying to come out ahead while doing it is a big part of the hobby for me. I think what I am doing is not hurting anyone as long as I am not emptying out the toy store on a regular basis (and realise that I get in my car, burn my gas to drive all over NH to get to these Targets, Walmarts, KBs and TRU's, usually to end up empty handed, but it's the thrill of maybe finding something good that is fun). I know many here disagree and that is OK too.

I do have a few thoughts on the subject thought:
1. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything, so if $160 for an alpha droid fighter is too much, just skip that one. It's buyers determining price, not sellers.
2. It really hasn't been scalping driving up the prices in this hobby. It is Hasbro which keeps canceling toys on us; first overproducing rehashed crap, then producing minimal quantities of the most interesting waves, that don't even make it to the retail stores. With some of these items for many of us the internet and ebay where the only places to get them.
3. If you collect Action Fleet, like me, then, as far as I am aware, there is no single piece worth over $200. Getting a complete collection is actually quite doable, fun and affordable, while not so easy or cheap that it really doesn't constitute a chalange, thrill or hobby. Try collecting stamps... or even 6" figures...

RobertDD
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
If you guys know someone who does this just post their names here. VulcanTouch or R2Dee2 wouldn't have agreed with this! :(

I am actually pretty sure that VT was the one who mentioned that this had happened to him.

Note that most people on this board, especially the ones that have been members for a while, are honest collectors trying to help out other collectors. The bad apples are few and far between.

sergiurusu
12-05-2007, 01:31 PM
This is a small tight community and I'm glad to know people like you guys, and really honored to say that I have met people like Marilyn and Jean here on the forums. If anyone who bought items from them is selling at overprice should receive a slap :whip:

Both our long lost friends had only one condition when discussing about selling their collections before passing away: never to sell the toys more than retail price.

Darth Duranium
12-05-2007, 08:08 PM
sergiurusu: This is a small tight community and I'm glad to know people like you guys

Nicely said... it's a lot of fun. Funny, bright people. And as Robert recently said, it really is the premiere place for good info.

RobertDD, I fully appreciate your comments on AF collecting and Hasbro's bizarro-world marketing plan... they are huge factors in the price of the "rare" ones.

I'd never pay anything close to $160 for a Droid Fighter... and yes, the market determines price. But harken back to the end of Action Fleet and the end of the Ultra line when scalpers snapped up the remainders of the last ships and prices freaked out. The scalped "market" causes collectors who are late to the game to take it up the arse.

Then again, a lot of scalpers may have gotten hosed when all of those $10 Ultra BSGs got dumped on the dollar stores earlier this year.... hehehehe.

Outwitting scalpers and paying a fair price is part of the fun for me... getting a complete collection would have been a lot more do-able a lot faster if people just didn't scalp to add to the other issues. Nice collectors don't scalp or use the info gleaned here to make life difficult for other collectors. They burn even more gas than 1 scalper does... not exactly Kyoto-friendly either.

But selling your stuff on eBay is kosher with me.

I was in line behind a scalper who had just cleaned out a certain new Titanium at the Silver Snail here in Toronto... he had all 10 so I just blatently took one from the checkout pile in front of him and then I just stood there eyeballing him... daring him to say something. Nothing was said, the clerk smirked, and the guy just silently scuttled off with 9. Made my whole day.

Collecting on eBay is a war of attrition... if you're savvy you can find good deals, if the planets align just right... it takes a long while, though.

RobertDD
12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
getting a complete collection would have been a lot more do-able a lot faster if people just didn't scalp to add to the other issues.
Being a dutchman from origin, and having started my collection in the Netherlands (actually, much of my stuff has travelled the ocean twice, lol) I will tell you that my collections would NOT have been anywhere near complete at thios point if it wasn't for ebay. As some old wizard once said: "it all depends on your point of view".

I was in line behind a scalper who had just cleaned out a certain new Titanium at the Silver Snail here in Toronto... he had all 10
Now, that is what I call scalping and is what I am all against. That just isn't right. Do not ask me where the line is, though, :D. If I would've run accross 10 AFs like that and I knew they were worth some dough I would've picked one up for myself, one to sell, and left the rest. I prob would've checked back in a week or so (after my next paycheck, lol) to see if there was one left to sell, specially if I made some on the auction. I see nothing wrong with that. Feel free to disagree. :D

Oh, and on the subject of Jean and Marrilyn: I have always respected their wishes and if I had aquired any part of their collection I would've not sold it for more than retail. You have to do what's right. Now, if you check, you will actually find a few posts between me and Jean where he tells me to pick something from Marrilyn's collection and I tell him I won't. I felt, and still feel, that it was a big shame and not right to break up that collection the way it happened.

So, if anyone ever asks on here: RobertDD's collection is supposed to STAY TOGETHER and complete, and cared for by someone that gives a damn.

Darth Duranium
12-07-2007, 09:57 PM
RobertDD: As some old wizard once said: "it all depends on your point of view"

Robert, that was Ben explaining why he bull-****ted Luke (about Darth) in Episode IV, if you recall. The lamest justification ever for you to choose lol... but I get your point and don't really hold it against you or anybody else. You gotta do what you gotta do...

I guess you'd be more of a poacher than a scalper, really. But you can't refute my argument that scalping (to any degree) makes things worse for other collectors... 'cause it does. You pay the price, too.... if you're any kind of completist, which you certainly must be. And being frugally Dutch, doesn't that really **** you off? :D

Sounds like you're a mega-collector... glad to hear your collection is so highly valued. I never heard of Jean or Marilyn but it was very kewl of their relatives(?) to offer up the rare AF pieces to certain folks... if someone flipped them on eBay for profit, they should rot in Hades.

Last year, we went to a cool collectibles shop in Amsterdam (among other interesting pit stops there) called "Henk"... they had some kewl stuff but the pricing was utterly insane. Collectors really get shafted in Europe, methinks... London prices were vile, too.

By the way, the Netherlands rock... I love Holland... so civilized.

RobertDD
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
You gotta do what you gotta do...
Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

I guess you'd be more of a poacher than a scalper, really.
I call myself an Indepent Action Fleet Redistributor.

But you can't refute my argument
Sure I can: "refute!"
(and so it was done....)

Sounds like you're a mega-collector...
Hey, no jokes about my weight. That's below the belt!

Collectors really get shafted in Europe, methinks...
Damn' Scalpers!

By the way, the Netherlands rock... I love Holland... so civilized.
Huh?