PDA

View Full Version : Josh: What His Story Is Worth

Tycho
11-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Josh - what his story is worth (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071105/news_1n5writers.html)*

This article relates that a typicaly big film picture (in this case it would
be based on my book) could bring $1 million. (More like $4 million if I make
a name for myself)

Just a minor purchase brings a union-required fee of $106,000.

Remember, that would be AFTER book sales propel me to market this to movie studios. I know I am slow, but I'm making sure it's "that" good.

A typical book advance is $24,000, and then I have residuals. A best-seller
would have residuals for years - then of course DVDs and downloads if it
goes as far as I hope. I've managed to get family help getting something
much, much better in the contract I am likely to sign.

When I'm done - almost there, I must get the best help to make sure I get
all the rights of ownership of my own work that I can.

It might work out very well for me. A few books, and I could be very much
set. While I know it's not polite to talk about money, I'm merely excited
that I can do something I love and perhaps be very successful with it - all
while working at home and making my own schedule as I go along. (It's just
not very "social," as some of you know I've been a bit lonely ) Anyway, I was very excited about this!

*Josh is Tycho's alter-ego. It is difficult to determine which personality is dominant, but Josh is less obnoxious than Tycho, a bit more restrained, and conventional when it's appropriate. Neither live in reality, so it is likely a classic case of schizophrenia aggravated by continuing contact with Mouse Droids.

Both Josh and Tycho want to extend best-wishes to Stillakid whom they understand has also completed work on a huge project in the likes of this kind of magnitude and hope that he is as successful with it as he hopes for.

Old Fossil
11-06-2007, 07:09 AM
As a writer (unpublished) myself, I am curious:

Do you have an agent, or are you planning to get one, or do you intend to solicit your work yourself? Also, if you are unable to find a publisher, are you willing or prepared to pay for the costs of publication yourself?

Has any of your work been published before -- short fiction, poetry, etc? Have you ever participated in a writing workshop, or taken fiction writing (or creative writing) in college?

Tycho
11-06-2007, 10:00 AM
As a writer (unpublished) myself, I am curious:

Do you have an agent, or are you planning to get one, or do you intend to solicit your work yourself?

I have a close association of extended family in a major publishing house. I also forged connections with many in the industry since my days writing my huge Star Wars newsletter that brought me into the internet era and this website. There's no garauntee, but I will only further work that aspect of it when I'm thoroughly satisfied that my novel is done. I won't take an advance with a set deadline attached. Because of my high blood pressure being part of my illness, I won't accept the stress and I'm not reliant on any of this for income.

Also, if you are unable to find a publisher, are you willing or prepared to pay for the costs of publication yourself?

Yes. I strongly believe in my work and that it will be successful. It is also an allegory for important commentary on women, relationships, betrayal, politics, religion, racism, etc. wrapped inside of the fiction and historical fiction. Like I'll post provocatively on the net here, my fiction is done in the same "in-your-face" manner, and I want to throw it out there in everyone's face. I have a need to do that if only to satiate my own anger. The novel is my own "Death Star."

Has any of your work been published before -- short fiction, poetry, etc?

No. But technically "yes." In my grammar school education, an annual project was required of every student, every year. It alternated each year between the arts and the sciences - thus a book fair entry or a science fair project are what we're talking about. My 6th grade project was a few hundred pages of an almost "Independence Day (ID4)" type invasion mixed with political commentary etc. which was much larger and more ambitious than other students' work. It won and continued to do so at the county level of my home state, resulting in being published as part of the prize.

It was thought I'd be an author, but I myself wanted to be an elected public official, "in order to create a Grand Army of..." - well nevermind. Suffice it to say, I think I could be very dangerous but for my health. The masses' liberty to live in ignorance is possibly safe from me. But my writing is a vehicle by which I can explore my fantasies a bit. It always was, as even back before the 6th grade, my teachers thought I'd be a writer and weren't shy about saying so.

Have you ever participated in a writing workshop, or taken fiction writing (or creative writing) in college?

Unfortunately - but let me qualify that. I may be outwardly polite (I hope) but internally I can be arrogant and don't feel I have much to learn from others, but much to teach them, or rather dictate. I was able to conform to the instruction given in several such courses that my mother thought it beneficial to enroll me in - well before I even reached college age (many universities have extension classes non-admitted students can pay to attend). I did work at the University of California Irvine during my grammar school years. I thought then and now that I should have been TEACHING the course. Yeah, I got an "A" at a college level even when I was so young, and a few "B's," - probably just because professors thought I could use being brought down a little as I was quite a precocious upstart and deliberately resisted instruction sometimes.

In the end, I do things "my way," and if I'm successful, it will only further cement my arrogance. (Again, don't mistake that for me not being nice enough to meet and shake hands with - just realize you might NEVER want to co-write any work with me, nor would I be good working with any others most likely). I will take criticism and might consider it thoughtfully in a manner I may benefit from, but I'll have to learn things "the hard way," after the fact that I've first tried to do it "my way."

Whether I'd recommend another takes writing courses? Well, I don't know any others well enough to make that determination. It would require an almost intimate knowledge of another person and what they might write to even explore that. I'd think it best if I minded my own business. Could I describe the techniques I've been using to write? Yes. But again, I'd suggest that I was only describing them, and "teaching them" is an entirely different thing and perhaps not any of my pervue.

Of course, that would only be of interest to someone if I were successful.

Old Fossil
11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Yes. I strongly believe in my work and that it will be successful. It is also an allegory for important commentary on women, relationships, betrayal, politics, religion, racism, etc. wrapped inside of the fiction and historical fiction. Like I'll post provocatively on the net here, my fiction is done in the same "in-your-face" manner, and I want to throw it out there in everyone's face. I have a need to do that if only to satiate my own anger. The novel is my own "Death Star."

In the end, I do things "my way," and if I'm successful, it will only further cement my arrogance. (Again, don't mistake that for me not being nice enough to meet and shake hands with - just realize you might NEVER want to co-write any work with me, nor would I be good working with any others most likely).

I think fiction is successful only when there is some underlying moral question or questions beneath the story. But I like a good story better than too much or too obvious allegory.

I've been offered to co-write something with a couple of others, but I just don't see that happening. I really don't know how any writer with a firm grasp of their own personal style, and a well-honed method, could successfully co-write a novel with another... it must be extremely tedious.

Will we here at SSG ever be given a preview of your work?:lipsrsealed:

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Self-publishing isn't nearly as hard as it might seem. Several recent bestsellers (Eragon and The Celestine Prophecy both come to mind) were self-published and did quite well before being picked up by major publishing houses.

BTW, I'd say your story is worth at least twelve dollars. :)

Tycho
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Will we here at SSG ever be given a preview of your work?:lipsrsealed:

You already have, indirectly anyway. My thoughts and attitudes are very prevalent in my Rancor Pit posts.

Old Fossil
11-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Eragon's author, Christopher Paolini, was successful in large part because his parents fully funded his publication and early marketing. How else could a kid with no formal training write a book and get published? His writing style is, shall we say, juvenile, the plot and characters cliched, from what little I have read of his work: about what one would expect of a novel written by a teenager, albeit a driven one. But hey, he's published, I'm not.

Anyone with a few grand in the bank can publish their own book. Not everyone can write a novel that qualifies as real literature. By "real literature" I mean a good story, written by someone cozy with Strunk and White, with moral and/or philosophical challenges to interesting characters, and that doesn't resort to tricks to get the story or the author's message across. It need not be completely original in the plot, only in the telling. It should, ideally, be written not just with the intention of eventual publication (I can't imagine a writer not wanting to be published), but also with the desire of a writer/artist to put out their best work, a book that might further the novel as an art form and that can find a permanent place in the language's literary treasury. Such an endeavor might take a writer years, or decades, and not provide much monetary return.

I would hope that anyone who chooses self-publication does so only because his art isn't recognized as such by whatever editors or agents look at it. They can of course accept it because they feel it will sell, in which case it will perhaps be fiscally successful; but it may still fail as literature.

Tycho
11-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure what "literature" is. I know the dictionary definition, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm writing my book, first for me. I'm sick of hypocrisy in all aspects of society from what women say and actually do, to what the religious claim to represent (falsely, I might add), to political corruption (an oxymoron term anyway) and so forth. I find human nature to either be disgusting, or rather that it should be celebrated at its most vile, because achieving that is an art form - as is getting away with murder as happens in my story.

Next, I appreciate my own sex and violence fantasies that I thought I would notate, rather than just spend my whole life denying or hiding from the public. My intentions were to ramp them up even more, and make them as truly tasteless as I possibly could. Maybe "literature" tries to be just that - something for the public to acclaim how creative ideas are explained or suggested. There's bookstores full of the attempts at that. While I'm not the only author who's tried to take the opposite approach, that is being the most offensive and blunt, it is the rarer approach and perhaps refreshing to see just because it is not like the majority of what's out there.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey, I didn't say Eragon was good. Only that it was successful.

One advantage to self-publishing, if you've got the knowledge, funds, and drive, is that you can negotiate a much better deal for mass distribution (and subsequent books) from a major publisher than you otherwise would be able to do as a first-time writer. Although it's true that publishers do occasionally give lucrative deals to first-timers based only on brief samples and a synopsis of the book, they're very rare, and seem to be related more on who you know than what you can do.

Mister Roboto
11-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Seems like you sometimes have trouble getting people to read your long posts for free. Good luck trying to get them to pay to read a book.

Tycho
11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Seems like you sometimes have trouble getting people to read your long posts for free. Good luck trying to get them to pay to read a book.

There's a difference between the internet and a book product though.

When I reported for this site, SirSteve told me time and time again that people wanted "sound bytes" for their information online.

Someone who would buy a book or travel somewhere to view a copy of it, is likely to pay more attention to it for what it is - and make time to read it.

It ALL will get read only if I do a good job of making it exciting and interesting. At face value, it's an action-adventure story, and someone can enjoy it just for that. If you look beyond that (and as I noted, I'm pretty blunt in style as I don't give the general public too much credit), there's more of my personal philosophy, point of view, or attitude in general that's steering events in the story. There is a question of whether that's to someone's taste, or at least tempting to their curiousity - but again that's probably reliant on how well written the story is (if you want to know what happens to my characters).

Thus if you don't want to read online non-fiction paragraphs from my attitude issues, that may have no bearing on whether you'd like something this different.