PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe 25th Anniversary

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

TheRealDubya
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I wanted to start a seperate thread just for the 25th; mods, if I am stepping on toes, please feel free to blow this away (or perhaps rename the Sigma 6 thread as just GI Joe?)

EE has posted the official rules for the Doc mail-away figure:

"Cobra captured him and it's up to you to rescue him! Now you can get your very own G.I. Joe Doc figure -- here's how to redeem yours!

1. Collect and save the proof-of-purchase stickers from 6 G.I. Joe Comic Packs.
2. Attach the stickers to the spaces on the redemption form included with the comic packs. (You can have any combination of 6 stickers!)
3. Clearly print your name and address in the space provided.
4. Mail the completed certificate (name and address clearly printed, all 6 stickers attached) and a check or money order for $4.95 (made out to Operation: Rescue Doc Redemption Request) to:

GI JOE Operation: Rescue Doc Redemption Request
PO Box 2099
Azle, TX 76098

All requests must be postmarked by August 31, 2008.

The exclusive G.I. Joe Doc figure will be mailed within 6-8 weeks from receipt of the redemption request. (Please note: product does not begin shipping until May 1, 2008.)

This offer is good for a limited time only and while supplies last. Official Redemption Certificates must be postmarked by August 31, 2008. Incomplete entries (missing the Official Redemption Certificate, one or more proof-of-purchase stickers, and/or payment) will not be honored. No copies, duplicates or other reproductions will be accepted. HASBRO reserves the right to verify all redemptions and reject any insufficient redemption at its sole discretion. Offer valid for redemption by end users only; excludes resellers and distributors. Void where taxed, prohibited or restricted by law. HASBRO is not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, incomplete, illegible or postage-due redemptions. Offer valid in U.S. only for fulfillment at U.S. addresses. No P.O. boxes will be accepted."

Originally, I was peeved about this (6 comic packs for one figure!) but then it dawned on me that this is no different than the Star Wars Vintage mail-away offers (price-wise = $10 per comic pack, $10 per Vintage) and the upside is that you get twice as many figures with the Joe deal. I guess it is what it is. If these ever go on clearance, it would be a fine deal. Also, if they do 12 unique comic packs by next August, then it will be relatively painless to get 2 Docs (one opener, one MOSC.)

What are your guys' thoughts?

BountyHunterScum
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I wanted to start a seperate thread just for the 25th; mods, if I am stepping on toes, please feel free to blow this away (or perhaps rename the Sigma 6 thread as just GI Joe?)

EE has posted the official rules for the Doc mail-away figure:

"Cobra captured him and it's up to you to rescue him! Now you can get your very own G.I. Joe Doc figure -- here's how to redeem yours!

1. Collect and save the proof-of-purchase stickers from 6 G.I. Joe Comic Packs.
2. Attach the stickers to the spaces on the redemption form included with the comic packs. (You can have any combination of 6 stickers!)
3. Clearly print your name and address in the space provided.
4. Mail the completed certificate (name and address clearly printed, all 6 stickers attached) and a check or money order for $4.95 (made out to Operation: Rescue Doc Redemption Request) to:

GI JOE Operation: Rescue Doc Redemption Request
PO Box 2099
Azle, TX 76098

All requests must be postmarked by August 31, 2008.

The exclusive G.I. Joe Doc figure will be mailed within 6-8 weeks from receipt of the redemption request. (Please note: product does not begin shipping until May 1, 2008.)

This offer is good for a limited time only and while supplies last. Official Redemption Certificates must be postmarked by August 31, 2008. Incomplete entries (missing the Official Redemption Certificate, one or more proof-of-purchase stickers, and/or payment) will not be honored. No copies, duplicates or other reproductions will be accepted. HASBRO reserves the right to verify all redemptions and reject any insufficient redemption at its sole discretion. Offer valid for redemption by end users only; excludes resellers and distributors. Void where taxed, prohibited or restricted by law. HASBRO is not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, incomplete, illegible or postage-due redemptions. Offer valid in U.S. only for fulfillment at U.S. addresses. No P.O. boxes will be accepted."

Originally, I was peeved about this (6 comic packs for one figure!) but then it dawned on me that this is no different than the Star Wars Vintage mail-away offers (price-wise = $10 per comic pack, $10 per Vintage) and the upside is that you get twice as many figures with the Joe deal. I guess it is what it is. If these ever go on clearance, it would be a fine deal. Also, if they do 12 unique comic packs by next August, then it will be relatively painless to get 2 Docs (one opener, one MOSC.)

What are your guys' thoughts?

I'll pass. They should have done a snake eyes unmasked mail away.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
But Doc is dead. Is this going to be a skeleton figure?

TheRealDubya
11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
But Doc is dead. Is this going to be a skeleton figure?

Continuity has been wiped clean by...the twin magic of Nostalgia & Greed. Crankcase and Breaker are already confirmed back from the grave...Quick Kick won't be far behind.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Breaker and Doc make sense. But Crank Case? Why not just make a Bongo the Balloon Bear, since more people have heard of her?

TheRealDubya
11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Breaker and Doc make sense. But Crank Case? Why not just make a Bongo the Balloon Bear, since more people have heard of her?

Ah yes. Candy, who's father was a CG.

I gotta say man, Crankcase was one of my favorite figures as a kid, and I loved the AWE Striker. After the Killer Whale, it was my favorite vehicle.

figrin bran
11-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I found Firefly the other day and for the most part, I'm caught up though I'd like to see a Zartan before deciding on whether to buy or not.

I'm not that interested in the comic packs so I can do without Doc.

2-1B
11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I remember Quick Kick, I had the figure of him as a kid...I should add him to my Favorite Joes list in that thread. :)

TheRealDubya
11-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Torpedo looks sweet:

http://www.toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=12116

El Chuxter
11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
BOING!!

That's the sound of this line jumping the SHARC.

Why, oh why, did they make Fred VII? Was the awesome new Crystal Ball figure not quite done in time? :rolleyes:

2-1B
11-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Is that guy wearing a fake beard ?

Ji'dai
11-16-2007, 08:06 PM
For some reason K-Mart has the best price on those 5-figure packs. Their regular price is 24.99, five bucks less than TRU. I was tempted to get them last week when Joe stuff was on sale for 10% off, but with the individually-carded figures so hard to find, I don't want the frustration of trying to collect another line.

Debating whether to get a Shipwreck for my cousin stationed in Iraq though. He really latched onto that character when he was little.

figrin bran
11-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I passed on Serpentor and I'll gladly pass on Fred VII.

Torpedo does look awesome though.

Blue2th
11-17-2007, 05:46 AM
For some reason K-Mart has the best price on those 5-figure packs. Their regular price is 24.99, five bucks less than TRU. I was tempted to get them last week when Joe stuff was on sale for 10% off, but with the individually-carded figures so hard to find, I don't want the frustration of trying to collect another line.

Debating whether to get a Shipwreck for my cousin stationed in Iraq though. He really latched onto that character when he was little.

Wave 4 is going to be the same figures as the 5-packs. I think there is one figure in each 5-pack that is exclusive to them. Though I'm not sure which one in each 5-pack it is.

Shipwreck is a cool figure. There are 2 slight variations. One with a shark tatoo on his right arm, and one with the corrected anchor tatoo.

Ji'dai
11-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I'll watch for the corrected version. I've seen two so far, but didn't bother to check tattoos. Kinda wonder if that's not an intentional variation on Hasbro's part.

DarkArtist
11-23-2007, 07:34 PM
picked up Firefly and Shipwreck today at Target

TheRealDubya
12-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Comic 2-Packs Wave 3 has been confirmed:

- Tomax & Xamot
- Crimson Guard & Cobra Officer
- Battle-Torn Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow
- Ace & Wild Weasel

Tomax & Xamot are a definite yes, as are Ace & Wild Weasel. The other two can dangle.

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Good Lord, look at these (http://yojoe.com/magazine/2007/12/11.shtml)!

Three new stories by Hama? The origin of the Crimson Twins? Behind the scenes of "Silent Interlude"? Freaking beautiful Tomax and Xamot figures? Battle-damaged Snake Eyes? And, most of all, a Fred-Series Siegie with a removeable helmet.

Is it possible to have romantic feelings for a toy line? :love:

TheRealDubya
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Good Lord, look at these (http://yojoe.com/magazine/2007/12/11.shtml)!

Three new stories by Hama? The origin of the Crimson Twins? Behind the scenes of "Silent Interlude"? Freaking beautiful Tomax and Xamot figures? Battle-damaged Snake Eyes? And, most of all, a Fred-Series Siegie with a removeable helmet.

Is it possible to have romantic feelings for a toy line? :love:

No joke man, these are gorgeous. New Hama stories. That's the bonafide hotness right there. Ace & Wild Weasel look out of control cool too.

El Chuxter
12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I just saw that one. Niiiiiiiice. I'm not sure about the computerized recoloring of the cover, and it's an odd choice (being at the end of one of the big epics, and not really spotlighting anyone, much less the two figures), but no complaints otherwise. Wild Weasel looks especially wicked.

TheRealDubya
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
You know, that compound bow setup that Storm Shadow comes with looks like the very one that Zartan used to murder the Hardmaster (as does the cloak he is wearing.) I wonder if this story will fill in some blanks for that arc?

DarkArtist
12-13-2007, 06:52 PM
just picked up Gold Destro, 2 Crimsion Guards, and Snowjob. passed on the rest. it's funny though, I found them in Walmart at 8:00 am Wednesday morning and there were 5 pegs full of the figures including various figures from Waves 1 through and by 8:30am the pegs were cleaned out. While checking out I spotted a guy with the rest of the figures in his cart, but the cashier stopped him from buying them all. She said that they are a collectible item and she can only sell him one of each character.

figrin bran
12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I got Zartan in the mail from Hasbrotoyshop today. Considering this was the only figure I ordered from them and they sent a large box that could fit quite a few figures, you'd figure that the card should be in pretty good condition but nooooo, it's bent in one corner. I'm going to open it anyways but this just seems par for the course for HTS lately.

TheRealDubya
12-14-2007, 12:10 PM
While checking out I spotted a guy with the rest of the figures in his cart, but the cashier stopped him from buying them all. She said that they are a collectible item and she can only sell him one of each character.

That's awesome. I love to hear stories like that.

How's Snow Job?

Luuuuuuke
12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
While checking out I spotted a guy with the rest of the figures in his cart, but the cashier stopped him from buying them all. She said that they are a collectible item and she can only sell him one of each character.

REally? At Wal-Mart? I never heard of them enforcing that policy. I thought that was only a Target thing.

I got 2 Crimson Guards. The only other one I want from this wave is gold head Destro. Haven't seen him.

Blue2th
12-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I got 2 Crimson Guards. The only other one I want from this wave is gold head Destro. Haven't seen him.

I picked up Destro about a week ago, but he has a chrome head. I didn't know there was a "Gold head" version of him. I thought he was a straight re-pack of the Destro in the 5-pack.

I noticed DarkArtist said he got one. I'm wondering is he a variation?
I thought the only gold headed version was the SDCC "Pimp Daddy" Leopard coat exclusive?

El Chuxter
12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
The upcoming (recent?) Iron Grenadiers Destro should only be available with a gold head.

Blue2th
12-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Tough time finding a pic of him but I think this is Destro with gold head in wave 5 http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HJ63403E

I must have just missed him, cause I found the other three new figures from that wave: Snow Job, Sgt. Flash and Crimson Guard.

DarkArtist
12-23-2007, 06:17 PM
REally? At Wal-Mart? I never heard of them enforcing that policy. I thought that was only a Target thing.

Oh it was great, the scapler was so ****ed and was yelling at the girl behind the register, then the manager came over and asked the guy to leave, so he was double screwed. I think I laughed all the way to work that day.

Blue2th
12-28-2007, 06:07 PM
The 25th Ann. GI Joe 5-packs are on sale at Target for $17 plus change.
Some Walmarts have them for $17 also.
That's a little savings from original $25.
There's a lot of the Legion 5-packs at my local Targets. They will probably drop even more in price in a week or so. That one's got some good army builders in it. I may pick up one more.

El Chuxter
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
It looks like they screwed up by shipping the Legions set so heavily, when the characters in it are less iconic. I foresee that dropping to about $6 at most Targets before they get rid of them.

And I still can't find anything beyond the second wave! :mad:

Blue2th
12-28-2007, 09:54 PM
There is definitely a glut of the Legions packs around here.

The single cards are super popular. I still haven't seen the Gold head Destro, or any repeats of the few others I've found. Even the Wave one figures are mostly gone. They can't stock enough to meet the high demand.

I would order a case from EE at 49.00 which is damn reasonable if they would do a re-assortment without the older figures.

figrin bran
12-29-2007, 07:02 PM
I saw wave 1 of the comic 2 packs at a local Target this morning. They'll sell for 9.99 and should be easier to come by than the single carded figures.

Captain-DC
01-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Our Target got the Wave 1. Comic 2-Packs on Friday Dec 28, 2007 and i bought two of each. Just to get the DOC Mail-In taken care of now.

They also got in Sunday Dec 30, 2007 Some Wave 2. and the Wave 3. Figures.

They also have like 15 Cobra Legions 5-Packs and only 3 G.I.Joe 5-Packs on Clearance! 17.49 here. I'll wait myself for them to mark them down before i buy any extra's of those. So i hope they mark them down soon.

Yo Joe!
By: Captain-DC
01/02/2008

TheRealDubya
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Anyone have any battle points/flag points they are looking to unload? Want to get a second Doc figure...

Mvader91
01-09-2008, 01:40 PM
The 5 packs in Indy were 12.18 a few days ago. They have been wiped out.

jjreason
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I would order a case from EE at 49.00 which is damn reasonable if they would do a re-assortment without the older figures.

I'm a bit lucky - we're not getting them in Canada (yet, anyhow) so I was able to order a case of wave 5 from EE - out of the 8 figures I'm keeping at least 6 of them. :thumbsup:

Engineernerd
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Can somebody explain to me why Breaker doesn't have a beard in the two pack? I was going to get it until I saw that disappointing fact when I picked it up.

El Chuxter
01-10-2008, 11:13 PM
He didn't have a beard in the comics for the longest time.

When he finally grew one, he got blowed up.

TheRealDubya
01-11-2008, 11:01 AM
He didn't have a beard in the comics for the longest time.

When he finally grew one, he got blowed up.

He got blowed up real good, too.

It's sort of like the Baron Fel hulabaloo -- the figure's look does have a canon reference point, but most fans like the other look better.

Engineernerd
01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
You know I didn't get the Baron Fel pack because of the same reason, now that you mention it.

What's next Clutch without a beard? Mutt without a 'stache? I can just see a Exec somewhere going, "we will cut costs by reducing facial hair paint ops." Of course then they will make an exclusive later with it, and we'll all clamor for it.

BTW, in regards to another previous post, Torpedo is AWESOME! Kinda weird seeing his face though...

decadentdave
01-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Breaker has a light beard. I don't understand why the bubblegum bubble fits on the end of the microphone and isn't attached to his mouth. It's sticking way out in front of his face. Unless you know that the character chews bubble gum, you'd have no idea what the heck that clear round thing is on the end of his microphone.

decadentdave
01-11-2008, 12:12 PM
It looks like they screwed up by shipping the Legions set so heavily, when the characters in it are less iconic. I foresee that dropping to about $6 at most Targets before they get rid of them.

And I still can't find anything beyond the second wave! :mad:

Just picked this up yesterday at Target for $6.24. :)

Engineernerd
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Breaker has a light beard. I don't understand why the bubblegum bubble fits on the end of the microphone and isn't attached to his mouth. It's sticking way out in front of his face. Unless you know that the character chews bubble gum, you'd have no idea what the heck that clear round thing is on the end of his microphone.

The two pack one I saw didn't have any beard at all. Is the bubble in there as a seperate piece?

TheRealDubya
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Breaker has a light beard.

Looking at the hi-rez picture I have, it looks like there is a light "5 o'clock shadow" style beard. Engineenerd, are you positive he didn't have one? Does anyone have a close up photo of an opened sample?

decadentdave
01-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Yes, he has a very light beard. At least the one I got does. Haven't seen one without the beard so if there is a "clean shaven" breaker variant I can't confirm. And yes, the clear pink bubblegum bubble is a tiny sphere with a peg hole just big enough to attach to the end of the headset microphone. Neat idea, poor execution. A tiny magnet attachment to his face instead would have worked better.

decadentdave
01-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Hey guys, just found our hood for VTSC Hoth Han courtesy of Snow Job. Just needs to be painted brown or blue instead of white. Voila!

TheRealDubya
01-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Hey guys, just found our hood for VTSC Hoth Han courtesy of Snow Job. Just needs to be painted brown or blue instead of white. Voila!

Ha! Nice thinking sir. Very clever.

TheRealDubya
01-12-2008, 01:54 AM
A tiny magnet attachment to his face instead would have worked better.

The way they did the rebreather on Obi-Wan in the TAC line this year was good too. That's how I assumed they would do the gum.

Engineernerd
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Looking at the hi-rez picture I have, it looks like there is a light "5 o'clock shadow" style beard. Engineenerd, are you positive he didn't have one? Does anyone have a close up photo of an opened sample?

95% Obviously he we still in a blister, so I can't be 100%. I actually thought it was Short Fuze til I saw the mic attached to the helmet.

figrin bran
01-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I found remnants from the Sgt. Flash wave at Target this morning. All that was left for me was a Crimson Guard which strangely enough, didn't scan when I tried to pay for it. Something I haven't been able to figure out about Target is how this happens when the DCPI hasn't changed at all.

Jaff
01-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Eager to find out what was coming this year with GI Joe I decided to check this year's UPC listings for the 25th Anniversary collection. I thought you guys would want to see what it revealed.

GI JOE 3 3/4 figures
Torpedo
Blue Snake Eyes
Armored Cobra Commander
Rock and Roll
Major Bludd
Wild Bill
Flint Tiger Force
Roadblock V1
Hawk
Bazooka
Barbeque
B.A.T
Hiss Driver
Spirit

Comic 2-packs
Tomax & Xamot
Crimson Guard & Cobra Officer
Storm Shadow & Snake Eyes Battle Damaged
Ace & Wild Weasel
Beach Head and Mainframe
Shipwreck & ?
Falcon & Night Viper
Scrap Iron & ?

Take this listing as you want, but come Toy Fair I would say you will see 90% of this stuff displayed!

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Clutch and Mutt have always had facial hair in the comics, as far as I can recall. Rock 'n' Roll had to shave once the team was disbanded and he was transferred back to the "regular" army, but grew it out again when reinstated.

Shipwreck and...? Maybe it'll be his Devil's Due uniform, and have Cover Girl as the other figure.

TheRealDubya
01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Eager to find out what was coming this year with GI Joe I decided to check this year's UPC listings for the 25th Anniversary collection. I thought you guys would want to see what it revealed.

GI JOE 3 3/4 figures
Torpedo
Blue Snake Eyes
Armored Cobra Commander
Rock and Roll
Major Bludd
Wild Bill
Flint Tiger Force
Roadblock V1
Hawk
Bazooka
Barbeque
B.A.T
Hiss Driver
Spirit

Comic 2-packs
Tomax & Xamot
Crimson Guard & Cobra Officer
Storm Shadow & Snake Eyes Battle Damaged
Ace & Wild Weasel
Beach Head and Mainframe
Shipwreck & ?
Falcon & Night Viper
Scrap Iron & ?

Take this listing as you want, but come Toy Fair I would say you will see 90% of this stuff displayed!

Sweet lineup. Throw in Recondo, Airborne and Blowtorch and I'm a happy guy.

Here are some more confirmed Comic 2-packs:
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=12316

Vi Cit Tecum
01-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I picked up part of wave 5 today at target for $1.49 each!!!!! I tookall that was there which was 1 Snow Job, 2 CG, and 2 Flash. They had an special bar code sticker that said "AS IS" the cards of all of them were in perfect condition except Snow who had a slight bend in middle of card. Not bad for seeing them for the first time.

figrin bran
01-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Don't forget about the Target exclusive vehicles!

Target exclusive vehicles (http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=12332)

HISS w. Driver
AWE Striker w. Crank Case
SHARC repaint w. Grand Slam

mtriv73
01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
To fill in one of the blanks in Jaff's post. Shipwreck comes with Copperhead (who originally came with that green boat thingy that I can't remember the name of) in the comic pack. I saw a pic somewhere this week. I've gotten hooked on these things. I've bought all the ones that are remakes of the first year Joes and a few of the others.

Edit: The boat thingy was the Water Moccasin

TheRealDubya
01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I picked up part of wave 5 today at target for $1.49 each!!!!! I tookall that was there which was 1 Snow Job, 2 CG, and 2 Flash. They had an special bar code sticker that said "AS IS" the cards of all of them were in perfect condition except Snow who had a slight bend in middle of card. Not bad for seeing them for the first time.

Wow. What a score.

El Chuxter
01-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I wish my Targets marked down damaged merchandise. :(

figrin bran
01-16-2008, 09:44 PM

I wish my Targets marked down damaged merchandise.

I don't think it's so much that those figures were "damaged merchandise" but more likely that the figures were not scanning, as I was talking about a few days ago in regards to the Crimson Guard I bought the other day.

El Chuxter
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Wave 3 pics!! (http://yojoe.com/magazine/2008/01/18.shtml)

Spirit Iron-Knife and Wild Bill look beautiful. Simply beautiful.

I'm surprised that it took this long to get the generic Viper. HISS Driver is a nice, unexpected plus.

Snake Eyes, well, there may be some major oversaturation of the character, but this is my personal favorite of all the costumes he ever wore. The only thing that would've made this cooler would be if he'd be in a comic-pack with civilian-clothes Scarlett, with a new story by Hama that takes place in the background of the Snake Eyes Trilogy. And it looks like the spike-knuckle trench knives are removable this time!

Dushe with jetpack... meh. I'm not saying that simply because I'm known to not be a fan of the character, but he really does look boring as hell.

TheRealDubya
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Wave 3 pics!! (http://yojoe.com/magazine/2008/01/18.shtml)

Spirit Iron-Knife and Wild Bill look beautiful. Simply beautiful.

I'm surprised that it took this long to get the generic Viper. HISS Driver is a nice, unexpected plus.

I think this is my favorite wave yet. Spirit is on the nose perfect. Bill looks great too.

El Chuxter
01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
There's some new stuff (mostly TRU exclusives) on yojoe.com:
http://yojoe.com/magazine/2008/01/25b.shtml
http://yojoe.com/magazine/2008/01/25a.shtml

Part of Wave 4 will be relatively easy to pass on. I don't need Cobra Commander with a silver stripe on the helmet. Tiger Force Flint seems a little silly, without any other Tiger Force figures. That said, the Python Patrol Officer looks cool (more generic Cobras is always a good thing), and no way can I pass on Major Bludd. The comic variants of Baroness and Snake Eyes I'll definitely want. (The green sunglasses and the weasel skull amulet did it for me. Especially with those being the two best single issues of GIJoe of all time.)

The three packs are a mixed bag. Cobra Infantry Command is useless with three repacks, and one of these being Cobra Commander. Crimson Guard Command looks more interesting, with the CG Officer (though the red Cobra Commander is beyond stupid, I think the other two make up for it). I might get that, even though there's no way I can pass on the upcoming comic set with the unmasked CG's, so I could end up with an army of just CG's. Joe Leadership Team will be the must-have; though there's another Duke, this looks like the only Grunt, and the only Hawk available without a hideous Scarlett repaint.

The five packs are less interesting. Snake Eyes vs Red Ninjas is, well, useless. The Red Ninja Leader looks cool, if not actually based on anything, but that's about the only plus there. Cobra Night Watch I might get, but I won't feel like I've missed out if I can't find it.

DarthQuack
01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd love to see a 25th Anniversary re-release of the USS Flagg...you can't say little kids wouldn't want that beast of a toy.

TheRealDubya
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
no way can I pass on Major Bludd. The comic variants of Baroness and Snake Eyes I'll definitely want. (The green sunglasses and the weasel skull amulet did it for me. Especially with those being the two best single issues of GIJoe of all time.)

Joe Leadership Team will be the must-have; though there's another Duke, this looks like the only Grunt, and the only Hawk available without a hideous Scarlett repaint.

Ditto. I will be passing on all the five packs because I'm not into army building. The only one I might consider is the Firefly VS Joe Greenshirts. Some Greenshirts would be cool to have, and I'm a huge FF fan, but I'll have to see how they turn out first.

The "Panic at the North Pole" Snake-Eyes is just gravy. Beyond cool. Larry Hama is a god. Hopefully they'll also do a Comic Pack for that issue with Kwinn and either Scarlett or Stalker.

DarthQuack
02-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Went to TRU and found some nice figs, not sure what wave they are though....was trying to find a good resource that had all the waves listed....I picked up Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander(not hooded), and Shipwreck with the tattoo.

TheRealDubya
02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Went to TRU and found some nice figs, not sure what wave they are though....was trying to find a good resource that had all the waves listed....I picked up Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander(not hooded), and Shipwreck with the tattoo.

Is it the version 1 Storm Shadow? If so, I think that's called Wave 4. (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS14094&mode=retail)

Shipwreck is a Wave 3 guy.

Jaff
02-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Just last night I was stunned and overjoyed to pick up the wave 3 comic packs. I passed on the Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, but the real treat was the Ace, Wild Weasel Pack. Weasel was awesome, unfortunately Ace's helmet can't stay on, and his harness keeps you from lowering one of his arms. I mention these scores because I have a question. Has anyone heard of possible vehicle releases beyond the Hiss, Awe Striker and Sharc? I've been going back and buying some vintage stuff like the mortor defense, water mocassin. I'm about to get a rattler and a hovercraft, yet if they release new ones then I might want to get newer versions as long as they aren't painted orange, or tiger colored! :cross-eye

RooJay
02-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I wasn't sure if anyone else had seen this, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been posted here before:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=4277

Pretty cool news if you ask me! Especially if we get 12" figures alongside the almost certain Premium Format and Busts!

TheRealDubya
02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I mention these scores because I have a question. Has anyone heard of possible vehicle releases beyond the Hiss, Awe Striker and Sharc? I've been going back and buying some vintage stuff like the mortor defense, water mocassin. I'm about to get a rattler and a hovercraft, yet if they release new ones then I might want to get newer versions as long as they aren't painted orange, or tiger colored! :cross-eye

I haven't heard anything definitive yet, which is why I have been holding off making any vintage vehicle purchases. I have heard rumors of a bunch of vehicle re-releases this year, but Hasbro did say they are NOT doing a Cutter figure in 2008, which kind of leads me to believe no Killer WHALE. I can see Skyhawks, Water Mocassins, Zartan's skier, Serpentor's chariot in the near term, and then maybe some bigger stuff around December. Toy Fair will reveal a lot.

JetsAndHeels
02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I just recently got the storm shadow/snake eyes comic pack...also got cobra commander (the one with the helmet). Love these figures......hopefully my stores here will continue to get alot of them in.

El Chuxter
02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
New Storm Shadow from Wave 4 Comics Packs (http://yojoe.com/magazine/2008/02/12.shtml)

On the one hand, the repacks of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes are totally ridiculous at this point.

On the other hand, a Faceless Master figure!!!! And I think this would have a new comic, too.

Yeah, I'll be getting this set.

I wonder when the comic will take place. IIRC, Storm Shadow joined Cobra and it wasn't until years later, when he was a Joe leading Ninja Force, that he learned Firefly was really the Faceless Master. However, this toy has Cobra insignias. Maybe Firefly was still pretending to be the ninja trainer, maybe sent to kill Storm Shadow when he joined Cobra, as a test of loyalty or something?

The "Panic at the North Pole" Snake-Eyes is just gravy. Beyond cool. Larry Hama is a god. Hopefully they'll also do a Comic Pack for that issue with Kwinn and either Scarlett or Stalker.
They could possibly fill in the blank area after it cuts from Kwinn and the Joes to the Russians. Though one of my favorite things about that story is the ambiguity. At different points in my life, I've read the story as Kwinn agreeing to help the Joes but stay within his contract with the Russians, or as Kwinn merely leaving things where he knew the Joes could find them.

Maradona
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Actually, I heard GI Joe IS re-releasing the flagg.

Anybody hear about this?

El Chuxter
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Nope.

Regarding Toy Fair revelations, most of the stuff looks good. I especially like the animated-styled Lady Jaye figure. I might get rid of the current POS one in favor of her, even if it means getting another Destro and Roadblock.

What's with the Snake Eyes with the transluscent red boots and no gloves? It looks like he might come with a sensory deprivation tank, but I'm not 100% sure that's what it is.

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Double post!! :)

I just read the three new comics. Here are some thoughts:

"Silence Between Borders": This one was pretty good. Not quite as mind-blowing as I was expecting. I guess if I read "Silent Interlude" immediately beforehand, and the details were fresher in my mind, it would've been stronger.

"A Bad Day at the Circus": Pretty weak, surprisingly enough. A lot of the cameos seemed a bit forced (Ripcord, Doc, Candy Appel), and the main story wasn't enthralling. Of interest is the implication that Flint was buddies with Duke and Roadblock before even hearing of the Joe team, even fighting alongside them against Tomax and Xamot in Trucial Abysmia. (The TA flashback was the best part of the issue.)

"One Day in Springfield": This issue more than made up for the shortcomings of the Crimson Twins comic. Cobra, Springfield, Dr Appel, and a kid who's decoding the encrypted files of the late Dr Venom wind up in a fiasco that sees a timid dentist named Dr Binder transformed into Dr Mindbender. (That's a lot of doctors in one issue, eh?) The story is a lot of fun, and would fit perfectly into the #30's of the original series. Sure, we knew Mindbender had been a dentist who screwed around with mind control to alleviate pain, but seeing it actually happen--in a story that rivals The Phantom Menace for the sheer number of crazy coincidences, but that works--is well worth the 20+ year wait. Also, as a bonus, we get a bit of an explanation for why Dr Appel and Candy were forced to relocate from Springfield to Staten Island.

So there are 15 of these scheduled for the entire year (counting the reprints, I think)? We already know of a Storm Shadow vs Faceless Master (Firefly) set. And at least one or two more involving Snake Eyes seem like they're given.

What else could be cool to have?

Anything with Kwinn. It'd be neat to have an issue that expands on #2, with Kwinn and either Arctic Stalker or Arctic Scarlett. (We're already getting Arctic Snake Eyes on a card soon.)

An issue dealing with the imprisoned Cobras buried in the landlocked freighter, likely including Billy and, well, anyone else. (Croc Master would be a cool inclusion, as I figure Mindbender is a given to be carded.) Maybe this crazy bunch get into a lot of violent arguments blaming one another for their situation, while Billy, Zartan, and Firefly take advantage of the fracas to escape. (Obviously, a comic written for inclusion in a toy set can't include showing the rest die of botulism, or Firefly desecrating Serpentor's corpse.)

Something expanding on the early romance between Destro and Baroness would be nice.

Or maybe Cobra Commander sent a few more assassins to take out Snake Eyes while he was living in the mountains?

An early adventure of the SAW Viper (later revealed to be named Skelton) explaining how he became such a deadly SOB?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Hard Master, Soft Master, Blind Master, Dr Venom, Magda, the White Clown, Dr Appel, or Candy Appel finally be immortalized in plastic, either.

TheRealDubya
02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
What's with the Snake Eyes with the transluscent red boots and no gloves? It looks like he might come with a sensory deprivation tank, but I'm not 100% sure that's what it is.

The translucent/pink SE is from the cartoon mini-series "The MASS Device." Cobra invents a matter transportation device which is fueled by three rare elements, one of which is a radioactive pink crystal. During the Joes' attempt to get the crystals (for their own version of the device) Snake-Eyes gets radiation sickness. This Snake-Eyes will be in a pack with Stalker, Baroness in Wet-Suit and an animated Cobra Trooper.

Hasbro is doing 5 "Entertainment Packs" based on 5 different cartoon mini-series. Each pack will include 3-4 figs, a DVD of the cartoon and one part of the MASS Device. I think that is what you're thinking is the sensory deprivation tank (from the comics.)

HERE's a pic (http://www.hisstank.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3820&d=), and below is the Hasbro press release:

G.I. JOE COUNTS DOWN TO BIG SCREEN DEBUT BY HIGHLIGHTING CLASSIC FAN FAVORITE TOYS IN 2008

Hasbro’s Toy Line Focuses on “G.I. JOE vs. COBRA” Fantasy from the 1980s

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (February 2008) – With the first-ever full-length G.I. JOE feature film from Paramount Pictures in association with Hasbro, scheduled to land in movie theaters in August of 2009, Hasbro enlists an entire regiment of new G.I. JOE vs. COBRA figures and comics to reinforce its wildly popular 25th Anniversary line.

The 2008 toys tap into two fan favorite components from the 1980s: the popular cartoon series and the 3-3/4-inch scale vehicles. In addition, the classic 12” scale figure returns this Fall with a kid-focused line that helps introduce a new generation of fans to the G.I. JOE vs. COBRA fantasy prior to the saga hitting multiplexes around the world next year.

G.I. JOE vs. COBRA 3-3/4-inch Entertainment Battle Packs
(Approximate retail price $19.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: June 2008 with additional waves throughout the year) Images from the classic 1980s G.I. JOE cartoon series are captured in the new battle packs, which include a 5-episode mini-series DVD and 3 to 4 highly articulated 3-3/4-inch figures pulled from these episodes. The five packs slated for June release are: The MASS DEVICE, WEATHER DOMINATOR, ARISE SERPENTOR ARISE, PYRAMID OF DARKNESS, and G.I. JOE THE MOVIE (1980s).

However, subsequent to this release, Hasbro announced that the proposed GI JOE THE MOVIE Battle Pack was scrapped because of some rights issues -- instead, the 5th Battle Pack will be a "Best of" or "Fans Choice".

Here are the first two packs, based on MASS Device and The Weather Dominator (aka, The Revenge of Cobra):

TheRealDubya
02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
An issue dealing with the imprisoned Cobras buried in the landlocked freighter, likely including Billy and, well, anyone else. (Croc Master would be a cool inclusion, as I figure Mindbender is a given to be carded.) Maybe this crazy bunch get into a lot of violent arguments blaming one another for their situation, while Billy, Zartan, and Firefly take advantage of the fracas to escape. (Obviously, a comic written for inclusion in a toy set can't include showing the rest die of botulism, or Firefly desecrating Serpentor's corpse.)

That was a great arc. I hope someone (Devil's Due lost the publishing rights to GI Joe...I'll bet DFark Horse or Marvel gets them) puts out some TPBs soon that collect all of the original Marvel Joe stories. I have the first two TPBs that Marvel put out in like 2002, and have issues 21-50, but will want to read up on everything after that before the movie in summer 2009.

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
I heard IDW and Marvel were the two with the biggest chance.

I hope Marvel doesn't get it. I'd hate for them to be making a book I might want.

Though if Hama is involved, I'm there.

I dropped Devil's Due's America's Elite after an issue or two. It wasn't that it was a bad comic, but it just wasn't GIJoe. And they have this insane love for resurrecting Serpentor every five issues, and can't tell stories without massive body counts.

TheRealDubya
02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
I dropped Devil's Due's America's Elite after an issue or two. It wasn't that it was a bad comic, but it just wasn't GIJoe. And they have this insane love for resurrecting Serpentor every five issues, and can't tell stories without massive body counts.

It definitely wasn't the Joe I knew and loved. Sounds like the movie will be even more of a departure, but some of the basic elements sound true to the Hama source material, which is a good thing.

Didn't LH write the new stories for the Wave 3 comic packs?

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
He did indeed. I reviewed them in post #75 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=601100&postcount=75). :D

One winner, one loser, and one I need to re-read, as it literally does take place in between pages of "Silent Interlude."

RooJay
02-21-2008, 02:37 AM
Surely Hasbro's not giving away the entire, feature-length G.I. Joe: the Movie on DVD in that battle pack, are they? I'd imagine it'd actually cost more for them to have an edited version produced for this set. That sounds pretty awesome!

Maradona
02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I just hope that whenever, wherever the series relaunches that some sense can be made of continuity. If it goes to Marvel, they could just pick up in the universe where Marvel left off. So many changes and revisions have led to the need of a GI JOE crisis type event to be able to straighten events out. I suspect, though, that rather than make sense of what has happened, they'll start from scratch, sadly, to attract the "new" kid reader.

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Starting from scratch wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, if the right people are involved. Joe Reloaded failed miserably, but imagine another "Ultimate Joe" type series with Mr Hama at the helm. It's working for IDW, with a total relaunch of Transformers under the direction of Simon Furman, who wrote about 1/3 of the American issues and almost all of the English ones.

Devil's Due had a few great ideas that just fell by the wayside (Zanya, Kamakura), but just as many bad ones (Serpentor II, Serpentor III, Serpentor IV, Serpentor V, the resurrection of a lot of other characters killed during the Marvel run, a lot of gratuitous deaths, and the whole pointless "Red Shadows" arc). They also initially tried to completely tone down the ninja stuff, but then brought it back in silly ways. World War III (the current and final arc) also looks like it's going to be something that can't be easily dealt with.

TheRealDubya
02-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Surely Hasbro's not giving away the entire, feature-length G.I. Joe: the Movie on DVD in that battle pack, are they? I'd imagine it'd actually cost more for them to have an edited version produced for this set. That sounds pretty awesome!

They cancelled the BattlePack that was to include GI Joe The Movie, however, they are still going to do the 4 other DVD battle packs (they're calling them "Entertainment Packs") which will include the full length movies of their respective tales.

The Battle Pack that was to include The Movie will instead be a "Best Of" Battle Pack; no word on if it will include a DVD or not, and what that DVD might be if included. It will include the fifth piece of the MASS Device though.

TheRealDubya
02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
He did indeed. I reviewed them in post #75 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=601100&postcount=75). :D

One winner, one loser, and one I need to re-read, as it literally does take place in between pages of "Silent Interlude."

Nice. Saw an interview with him where he had just finished his first day on the set of the live action movie, and he was zoned-out tired. He wasn't a very exciting interview, but he seemed happy with the script for the movie. Glad the dude is getting the love he deserves.

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah. It's a little sad we didn't see interviews like that with Bob Budiansky on the set of Transformers. He essentially did the same thing for them that Hama did with Joe early on, even if his actual comics writing wasn't nearly as good. (Funny, though, the man tore it up with the incredibly underrated Sleepwalker a few years later.)

TheRealDubya
02-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah. It's a little sad we didn't see interviews like that with Bob Budiansky on the set of Transformers. He essentially did the same thing for them that Hama did with Joe early on, even if his actual comics writing wasn't nearly as good. (Funny, though, the man tore it up with the incredibly underrated Sleepwalker a few years later.)

Totally. Sleepwalker was a fun title.

JetsAndHeels
02-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I found another article online about the dvd packs that TheRealDubya first mentioned. Here (http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-Hasbro-Toy-Battle-Packs/9052) is a look at them.

TheRealDubya
02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I found another article online about the dvd packs that TheRealDubya first mentioned. Here (http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-Hasbro-Toy-Battle-Packs/9052) is a look at them.

Cool, that spells it out pretty clearly. $20 for a full length movie, 3-4 figures and a piece of the MASS Device is a pretty sweet deal, even though those old mini-series are of a varying quality. My favorite has always been THE REVENGE OF COBRA (aka The Weather Dominator) because it was (for what it is) the least cheesy, had the best characters and was kind of the apex of the GI Joe mini-series formula (Cobra invents device, device parts or components are scattered all over the globe, Joe and Cobra race each other, big Death Star-style climax.)

The stuff with Storm Shadow and Spirit and their "ancient honor/noble savages philosopher bond" is pure New Age hokum & gold.

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I dunno about where the rest of you are, but the Wave 1 comic packs are drying up fast. I see Scarlett/Hawk and occasionally Duke/Cobra Commander. Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow is even gone.

I've still not found the Dreadnoks and Destro/Breaker. :(

TheRealDubya
02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I dunno about where the rest of you are, but the Wave 1 comic packs are drying up fast. I see Scarlett/Hawk and occasionally Duke/Cobra Commander. Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow is even gone.

Yup...Wave 3 is starting to show up now. I have never ever seen Wave 2 in a store; got mine off the web.

I picked up the Tomax-Xamot and Scarface-Fred packs last night. Some douche had very carefully removed the Doc stickers and returned them. But, I already have my Doc sheet filled out and I really just wanted the figs, so no huge deal. I hope that douche sleeps well in his Care Bears onesy pajamas and with his 48 mail-way Doc figures. He's the Mayor of Awesometown, if you ask me.

I'm glad I got them instead of some kid whose $20 means a lot more to him.

figrin bran
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Same here. I haven't even seen Sgt. Flash either. For singles, it's all Buzzer and Stalker.

decadentdave
02-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Has anybody noticed the card variation with the glossy foil logo vs. the matte foil? Saw several cards that were really glossy while most of them are dull matte. Will this make a difference in value?

I picked up Torpedo, Battle-Armor Cobra Commander and Rock N' Roll.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Is Cobra Commander II's helmet removeable?

It would be awesome beyond words if it were, and the head underneath was the same one used on the Crimson Guard in the new comic pack. (Since, well, we know that's what he looked like.)

decadentdave
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Is Cobra Commander II's helmet removeable?

It would be awesome beyond words if it were, and the head underneath was the same one used on the Crimson Guard in the new comic pack. (Since, well, we know that's what he looked like.)

As a matter of fact, it is! And it is awesome. He's wearing a black Beach-Head like mask.

And Torpedo is awesome. Love the breathing mask on him as well. Very nice figure.

Rock N' Roll is a huge disappointment. Can't pose him holding his rifle. What a let down.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Aww, man, I suppose that's an okay compromise. I would've preferred seeing the Fred head on there. (The real CC only wore the armor once, and only in the presence of Fred VII, before he was shot and left for dead.) But that could confuse people who only knew the cartoon, where he was a, um, snake thingy guy.

I was just thinking that there are only two "main" masked characters we never saw unmasked: Cobra Commander and Firefly. (Sure, minor characters like Shockwave and Metalhead never showed up unmasked, but we didn't see a whole lot of them.) Cobra Commander was never unmasked, but he's been seen with different parts of his face covered, so we can kind of piece together what he looks like (sorta like the neighbor on Home Improvement). Firefly unmasked once, but was using his hypnotic abilities to make his face appear blank. Even the old Arashikage photo shows him blurred beyond recognition, so he remains the only true "unknown" of the major players.

decadentdave
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Well you could always swap the head with the Fred from the comic pack. Personally, I like the Beach-Head mask on him. I may pose him holding the helmet under his arm because he looks so much cooler with the Beach-Head mask.

Vi Cit Tecum
03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I picked up the 2 toys r us 5 packs today and wave 2-3 of the comic packs. also found a clammy without coin(my first clammy)

El Chuxter
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I found Destro/Breaker and Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow yesterday. Still no luck on the Dreadnoks.

Last night, I re-read "Silent Interlude" and "Silence Between Borders" back to back. Then I tried to read them concurrently. It's not a really clear breakdown. A lot of events clearly are simultaneous, or can't easily be fit together. (They're not contradictory, but it's not especially easy to fit them together.) I may try again later, and actually map it out, if I have the inclination.

It does help a lot in reading "Silence Between Borders" to have "Silent Interlude" fresh in one's mind.

Off-topic, I've read reports of a Lt Falcon/Nemesis Enforcer comic pack. If these are all new, in-continuity stories by Hama, how the samhill does Nemesis Enforcer play in? Those characters (rightly) never appeared in the original comic. Cool designs, and they worked in the TV show, but they absolutely couldn't work in the comic.

TheRealDubya
03-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Off-topic, I've read reports of a Lt Falcon/Nemesis Enforcer comic pack. If these are all new, in-continuity stories by Hama, how the samhill does
Nemesis Enforcer play in? Those characters (rightly) never appeared in the original comic. Cool designs, and they worked in the TV show, but they absolutely couldn't work in the comic.

I've seen that report as well. Could be another DVD pack for the Movie? Who knows.

I gotta say, the new comics they cooked up are pretty terrible. Just...super mediocre.

tagmac
03-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Got lucky with the Dreadknocks, finding them hanging behind another comic pack in an otherwise barren GI Joe section at WM last month. Got Flash, I.G. Destro, Crimson Guard, and Snow Job last month as well when I went to Target upon opening, but haven't seen these since. No sign of the Torpedo wave, and had to resort to ebay for the Twins and Ace/Wild weasel packs as I have yet to fins any more comic packs around here. Jersey has been very spotty with these figures since the beginning - I've either found everything at once, or none at all - and it's been the latter way more often.

El Chuxter
03-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I gotta say, the new comics they cooked up are pretty terrible. Just...super mediocre.
Really? You think all of them are bad? I thought Tomax/Xamot was weak, and "Silence Between Borders" wasn't all it could've been (face it, adding to perfection doesn't make it better), but the origin of Mindbender was pretty fun. I think I said before it gave his backstory an almost Phantom Menace level of coincidence, but it worked better than TPM.

TheRealDubya
03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Really? You think all of them are bad? I thought Tomax/Xamot was weak, and "Silence Between Borders" wasn't all it could've been (face it, adding to perfection doesn't make it better), but the origin of Mindbender was pretty fun. I think I said before it gave his backstory an almost Phantom Menace level of coincidence, but it worked better than TPM.

Yeah man, they just didn't work for me. You know I'm a huge Hama booster too. I'm on issue 45 of the original run right now and his writing was (although targeted at kids) so much more sensible, sharp and narrative driven back then. The military jargon was perfect. These 1/2 issues felt like rush jobs -- afterthoughts, stuff based on the file cards. There's just a ton more potential out there for the characters than "cut scenes" like these but I did like seeing Dr. Binder. That was cool (and all of the variations on "ARBCO" were clever too.)

Wave 3 2008 looks great. (http://cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Hasbro_GI_Joe_Wave_7_In_HiRez_112933.asp)

RooJay
03-06-2008, 01:58 AM
I love how they manage to reuse sculpts without making look like they're reusing sculpts - I notice that Hiss Driver reuses Flash's torso and arms, Spirit reuses Shipwreck's torso and arms, and Wild Bill reuses Ace's body. It's got to be a pretty effective cost cutting measure, but they always manage to make it work and not look so obvious as to be offensive. Kudos, Hasbro! I've also noticed that so far this has been par for the course with pretty much every assortment, and I support it up until it becomes blatant and obvious or until it stops making sense and just becomes laziness.

figrin bran
03-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks to an LA SSGer's stash, I was able to get Sgt. Flash and Ace/Wild Weasel today. Though getting the latter two makes me want their respective aircrafts.

On my Sgt. Flash, I'm having trouble sticking the end of the gun hose into the backpack - is this the case for anyone else?

Now if only I could find Tomax/Xamot and Destro/Breaker.

El Chuxter
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I've not opened Flash yet (screw the Sergeant, he's just Flash!), but I'll let you know.

It looks like some of these new figures, most notably the Dreadnoks, are using 1980s accessories. Many look to be updates (like the Air Trooper's rifle), but that Dreadnok gear looks quite vintage. Which is strange, since Buzzer's looks so righteously different from the original. (Of course, he's a great sculpt, and the other two are barely passable, so the Dreadnoks will look a little silly. I suppose it works, since he's not a moron like them.)

RooJay
03-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Anyone else thinking that Ace kind of sucks? I'm not diggin' on the face sculpt at all, the helmet looks like cheap junk, his arms look too short (the vest his helmet snaps on to makes them look even stubbier) and on mine at least, the upper torso is attached at a weird angle and I can't get it to straighten out. Shame, really - the original was one of my all-time favorite Joes. I hope that, if and when they put out a new (or re-release) the Skystriker that they give him another pass and pack him in.
His package mate, Wild Weasel though has to be one of the best so far! I only just this morning realized to my amazement that his entire body is actually re-used from Snow Job of all figures! The only differences being the heads, of course, and the belts/skirt bottom of Snow Job's parka.

figrin bran
03-11-2008, 01:29 AM
To me, Ace is okay except for the "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes.

Wild Weasel is outstanding! The flight goggles are actually removable which was a nice touch, I thought.

mtriv73
03-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I finally got a snow-job yesterday.

I also picked up Rock-n-roll and torpedo. The WM I found them at also had the armored cobra commander, but I wasn't interested and passed.

TheRealDubya
03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I also picked up Rock-n-roll and torpedo. The WM I found them at also had the armored cobra commander, but I wasn't interested and passed.

I got these two yesterday as well. Torpedo is outstanding -- one of the best yet. RNR is okay, but he has those lame looking Duke wrists. A solid original group figure though. But Torpedo, man...something to behold.

DarkArtist
03-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey when are we going to see a 25th Anniversary verison of LowLight, Lifeline, Lt.Falcon, Sgt Slaughter ? I would love to see these guys in their 25th look.

RooJay
03-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Hey when are we going to see a 25th Anniversary verison of LowLight, Lifeline, Lt.Falcon, Sgt Slaughter ? I would love to see these guys in their 25th look.

I second that - along with Outback, those guys were always some of my absolute favorites and I can't wait to get new versions!

Engineernerd
03-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Airborne would be the one I'd want to see the most. Ripcord in second.

TheRealDubya
03-12-2008, 10:29 AM

I believe Flacon is coming in a comic 2 pack later this year with...Nemesis Enforcer. This is the so-called Wave 5

"Set includes one each of Destro & Iron Grenadier, Cobra Commander Vs. Tripwire and Lieutenant Falcon Vs. Nemesis Enforcer."

In terms of Lifeline, Hasbro's guys did some mock ups for the Joe Con last fall and they were pretty SWEET (http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=07_Joe_Con%2FHasbro%2FCustoms%2F&dispsize=600&start=0)

Airborne would be the one I'd want to see the most. Ripcord in second. I want those two, Recondo and Blowtorch. Then I would be satisfied.

DarkArtist
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
So I was going through the Ultimate Guide to GI Joe 1982-1994 and made this list of figures I would love to see remade in the new 25th Anniversary style. Also included are some vehicles and small playsets that I would love to see as well:

GI JOE :

Airborne
Cover Girl
Blowtorch
Mutt & Junkyard
Recondo
Barbecue
Airtight
Dusty
Bazooka
Alpine
Footloose
Quick Kick
Sgt. Slaughter
Dial-Tone
General Hawk -cartoon version
Low-Light
Lifeline
Mainframe
Sci-Fi
Lt. Falcon - rumored
Fast-Draw
Jinx
Law & Order
Outback
Tunnel Rat
Blizzard
Budo
Shockwave
Spearhead & Max
Dusty & Sandstorm

COBRA

Copperhead
Stinger Driver - single carded
Cobra Eels
Snow Serpent
Tele-Viper
Dr. Mindbender
Thrasher
Zandar
Zarana
Monkey Wrench
Ice Viper
Techno-Viper
Iron Grenadier -rumored
Alley-Viper
T.A.R.G.E.T.
Night Creeper
Scrap-Iron

Vehicles & Playsets

RAM Motorcycle
VAMP Jeep
APC Transport
Cobra Fang
Dragonfly
SkyStriker
HeadQuarters Command Center
Cobra S.N.A.K.E. Battle Armor
Chameleon Swamp Speeder
Cobra ASP
Bivouac Battle Station
Cobra Claw
Cobra Water Moccasin
Cobra Rattler
Sky Hawk
Cobra Stinger
GI JOE Watchtower
Check Point Alpha
Cobra Bunker
Cobra Rifle Range
Cobra Ferret
Silver Mirage Motorcycle
Cobra Stun
Cobra Terror Drome
Cobra Surveillance Port
Dreadnok Thunder Machine
Outpost Defender Battle Station

I also thought that a cool idea for an exclusive set could be a 4 pack of GI Joe's in Military Dress to honor the men and women fighting in the war on terror. maybe there can be 2 female and 2 male figures representing each of the armed forces, Navy, Army, Marines, Airforce.

DarkArtist
03-21-2008, 01:39 PM
just picked up Sgt Stalker and the Cobra Night Watch set. I always loved Stalker and was finally able to find one on the pegs, and the nightwatch set is always a welcome with extra badguys. passed on the Snake Eyes / Red Ninja set though.

Can't wait to see the AWE Stiker at Target. hope it's soon, my joes and cobras have nothing to ride in.

jedimastergeorge06
03-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi is there a website that i can go to for gijoe but its like sirstevesguide.com or something similar?
thanks

figrin bran
03-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Try yojoe.com

DarkArtist
03-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi is there a website that i can go to for gijoe but its like sirstevesguide.com or something similar?
thanks

there is also Hisstank.com

TheRealDubya
03-22-2008, 10:50 AM
So I was going through the Ultimate Guide to GI Joe 1982-1994 and made this list of figures I would love to see remade in the new 25th Anniversary style...

Add Ripcord to that list and you and I are on the same page my friend.

I also thought that a cool idea for an exclusive set could be a 4 pack of GI Joe's in Military Dress to honor the men and women fighting in the war on terror. maybe there can be 2 female and 2 male figures representing each of the armed forces, Navy, Army, Marines, Airforce.

Cool idea. It'd be a nice tribute, and I'd buy it.

El Chuxter
03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
It'd be especially cool if they were actual RAH characters in dress uniforms. That could be a great way to get a resculpt of the Vintage dress-blues Gung Ho.

Trouble with that particular idea, there are, what four female characters? And I think they're all Army.

DarkArtist
03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
It'd be especially cool if they were actual RAH characters in dress uniforms. That could be a great way to get a resculpt of the Vintage dress-blues Gung Ho.

Trouble with that particular idea, there are, what four female characters? And I think they're all Army.

Well they could use Scarlett for the Army, Gung-Ho is a Marine, Torpedo or even Shipwreck was in the Navy, Ace for the Airforce. Also they could always give us generic female figures in dress uniform as well.

DarkArtist
03-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Add Ripcord to that list and you and I are on the same page my friend.

Good Idea, must have forgotten to add him.

so to my previous post add RipCord

jjreason
03-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Dress uniforms would be nice, but so would more real-life accurate versions - more like McFarlane's military figs but in GI Joe style. I'd love to see Torpedo again in some other Navy SEAL get-ups like the all-black ship-boarding stuff with an MP5 or some bush greens with a carbine. :cool:

El Chuxter
03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Well they could use Scarlett for the Army, Gung-Ho is a Marine, Torpedo or even Shipwreck was in the Navy, Ace for the Airforce. Also they could always give us generic female figures in dress uniform as well.

Yeah, but I was talking about the "one man, one woman" sets. There's also Shooter, never seen in action figure form... who is, I think, also from the Army.

I wouldn't be adverse to retconning Cool Breeze to be her younger brother, or something, if it meant a comic pack with both those awesome slain Joes.

DarkArtist
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I still can't believe how fast these figures sell out, it's like they get one wave and then poof they're gone. the only ones I see warming the pegs are Cobra Commander, Stalker, and a few of the early comic packs, and perhaps the collector 5 packs.

I'm kicking myself for passing on figures like Buzzer & Zartan

DarthQuack
03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I've got 3 of them in anyone is interested....I thought I was gonna be all Gung Ho(no pun intended) about getting into this line but it just seemed to be a very short phase :P

jjreason
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I've got 3 of them in anyone is interested....I thought I was gonna be all Gung Ho(no pun intended) about getting into this line but it just seemed to be a very short phase :P

What have you got? I'd love a Flint...

El Chuxter
03-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Shoot, JJ, you always say you need common figures when they're no longer common. :)

figrin bran
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I bought a Scarlett/Hawk pack the other day (newer version of Hawk) and the darn thing didn't have the bios nor the Doc sticker inside! I saw no signs of tampering either.

TheRealDubya
04-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I bought a Scarlett/Hawk pack the other day (newer version of Hawk) and the darn thing didn't have the bios nor the Doc sticker inside! I saw no signs of tampering either.

Same thing happened to my Tomax/Xamot and Scarface/Crimson Guardsman packs. They looked perfect, but clearly someone had slyly replaced the tape on one side. Bugger.

figrin bran
04-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Same thing happened to my Tomax/Xamot and Scarface/Crimson Guardsman packs. They looked perfect, but clearly someone had slyly replaced the tape on one side. Bugger.

I suppose we had all better take a closer look at the sides when picking up the comic packs. I'm not so much disappointed in the missing bios as I am the Doc sticker.

Mvader91
04-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Walmart has increased their price to 6.84. They are now priced higher the Star Wars. Go figure.

figrin bran
04-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Walmart has increased their price to 6.84. They are now priced higher the Star Wars. Go figure.

No!!!! That means Target will follow suit as well. So whatever happened to "Hasbro doesn't have to pay licensing fees on this line"?

Mvader91
04-05-2008, 01:56 AM
That good O'l thing called capitalism. It was not two months ago they were 4.88. Then, two weeks ago I could live with 5.44, but with tax they are now 7.32 here in Indy. I question whether or not to continue buying these at retail.

DarkArtist
04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
whatever happened to stores stocking the figures. went to 5 stores today and nothing, not even the larger 5 packs. the one store that had anything was the local Wal-Mart which had a lone Snakes vs Stormshadow Comic pack version 2, the with stormshadow in the cloak.

I'm going through withdrawals here, I going crazy because I really want a Major Bludd and a couple of the Cobra Vipers.

RooJay
04-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Still lookin' for Rock N Roll and Torpedo here. Most of my normal retail haunts didn't have a single figure on the pegs aside from a couple Hawk/ Scarlet 2 packs here and there. A friend of mine managed to find a couple of the 5 packs, but no such luck for me as yet. Is Hasbro really having such a hard time meeting demand, or what?*

*That's a rhetorical question by the way - since no one here is an expert, I don't expect that anyone has the answer.

DarkArtist
04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Still lookin' for Rock N Roll and Torpedo here. Most of my normal retail haunts didn't have a single figure on the pegs aside from a couple Hawk/ Scarlet 2 packs here and there. A friend of mine managed to find a couple of the 5 packs, but no such luck for me as yet. Is Hasbro really having such a hard time meeting demand, or what?*

*That's a rhetorical question by the way - since no one here is an expert, I don't expect that anyone has the answer.

I think they seriously didn't plan on the line having a huge fan following, I mean there is no GI JOE cartoon or TV series on at the moment and the only photos we have seen of the movie are of Snake Eyes and a few other smaller shots. I don't think the kids are into to it yet and those of us who grew up with are collecting them and buying them up as soon as they hit the shelves. I mean if you think about it with the Cobra troops so far a lot of army building could be taking place.

i know your question was rhetorical but I figured I would put my 2 cents in anyway. i just really hope to find some of the new figures soon, I'm really going thru withdrawals, especially since I have been watching the old TV series and the movie for the past couple nights.

El Chuxter
04-05-2008, 09:53 PM
It looks like Hasbro and retailers seriously underestimated demand. I've seen jacksquat in the past month. TRU has the most pathetic selection, which makes me worry about the three packs. I definitely want the Crimson Guard Command set and absotively posolutely must have the Joe Command set.

RooJay
04-05-2008, 11:00 PM
That's kind of what I was implying. Kind of proves the point I've been trying to make for a while now - looks like it's not really as necessary as the manufacturers seem to think for a toy line to have television or film tie-ins (or even kids necessarily, though I'm not entirely sold on that one yet - I think kids are actually snapping these up as well) to be successful. They just have to be cool lookin' and well designed.

El Chuxter
04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Of course, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if Hasbro decided to, say, release the entire original TV series on DVD, or put out a DVD-ROM of all the Marvel and Devil's Due comics.

RooJay
04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
I would not be averse to owning either of those!:pleased:

Or how about even producing a new G.I. Joe cartoon picking up where the old one left off? I mean from before they switched studios and got all goofy of course.

DarkArtist
04-06-2008, 08:31 PM
picked up a lone Buzzer figure at Target.....still no sign of the exclusive vehicles

figrin bran
04-07-2008, 12:18 AM
picked up a lone Buzzer figure at Target.....still no sign of the exclusive vehicles

At the very latest, the Target vehicles should be out on the register endcap with Order 66 sets next Sunday. Your mileage will vary, of course, and some stores might put them out later than others.

El Chuxter
04-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Is that the first time you've seen Buzzer?

I thought we had it bad around here. :(

DarkArtist
04-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Is that the first time you've seen Buzzer?

I thought we had it bad around here. :(

first time I've seen Buzzer in a long time. finally was able to get the Red Ninja and Zartan this morning. has anyone seen the Major Bludd wave at retail yet ?

figrin bran
04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Wave 9 is going to have Hawk, Bazooka, Barbecue, B.A.T., Snow Serpent, Storm Shadow repaint (cannot designate specific color without triggering El Chuxter's race card)

Wave 9 Joes (http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=12767)

At least 3 of the Targets that I frequent have at least 5 Buzzers and 5 Stalkers. Obviously those two aren't too popular around here.

El Chuxter
04-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Oh man. Those pics give me a (rhymes with misnomer).

Especially the Snow Serpent. He was always one of my favorite figures, and one of the very rare 1980s figures that still holds up quite well. The update is gorgeous.

Joking about color aside, what is with the black-garbed Storm Shadow? Is it supposed to be Snake Eyes in Arashikage training gi, and they cheaped on the sculpt, or Tommy as the Young Master, long before he joined Cobra? I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other instance in any story in the comic or 'toon where he wore black.

RooJay
04-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh man. Those pics give me a (rhymes with misnomer).

Boner doesn't rhyme with misnomer, but I see where you're going with that. ;)

DarkArtist
04-08-2008, 05:58 PM
loving the wave 9 pics. can't wait to get those figures.

picked up Beachhead today. great figure. so far I have only passed on Lady Jaye(rather wait for the DVD version) and Serpentor(as he looks like crap)

El Chuxter
04-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Pics! (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HJ63975D#LargeImage)

Duke & Red Star: I suppose I can stand Duke in "classic" Joe uniform to get Red Star, particularly if this is one with a new comic (which it doesn't say). (He wore one not too far off from this in the Declassified series, prior to his joining the team.)

Shipwreck & Copperhead: Pretty nice. Wonder if this'll be a new comic or an old one as well. Since they did the orange life jacket, though, I wish this had been Cutter instead of another Shipwreck. As large as the WHALE is, I have a feeling he's not going to be made unless in a comic pack.

Storm Shadow & Firefly: When I first read that the Firefly would be as the "Faceless Master," I was really hoping he would be maskless (and faceless). That doesn't look like the case, and I doubt that there's a faceless human head under that mask. That said, what the hell is this supposed to be? It looks cool, but like nothing I can place. Storm Shadow has a rifle and claws, and Firefly looks like a repainted Snake Eyes, of all things (complete with Uzi). Is this maybe supposed to be some "first meeting of Stormy and Firefly after they join Cobra" set? IIRC, this one is a new comic (and, like I said, I certainly can't figure what classic comic would come with it), so hopefully we'll have answers fairly soon.

Three different sets with Storm Shadow in one wave, especially when two of them are repacks, really concerns me regarding the availability of the other sets.

RooJay
04-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Since they did the orange life jacket, though, I wish this had been Cutter instead of another Shipwreck. As large as the WHALE is, I have a feeling he's not going to be made unless in a comic pack.

So far several vehicles' drivers/pilots have been released single carded even when we're still waiting for the first vehicles releases. Even if the WHALE doesn't get a re-release, I'd say odds are still excellent that we'll get Cutter sooner or later. Besides, which comic comes in this pack, and was Cutter even featured in it?

El Chuxter
04-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think we know yet. It might be a new one, but something about the look of it makes me lean toward it being a classic.

We could get some uber-weird situation, like how the Target exclusive HISS comes with a Stinger Driver around the same time the carded HISS Driver figure will be on shelves. :confused:

I wonder what the chances of getting Deep Six would be? Maybe there could be a couple of "deluxe" figures, including Deep Six, a suit of SNAKE Armor, and maybe a new Cobra Trooper with a Trouble Bubble (I think it could be small enough).

mabudonicus
04-10-2008, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't worry Chux, if they made Copperhead without that whatever it was called they could make pretty much any "driver" sans vehicle- tho I bet there's no Cross Country in the works
:beard: Iso&Baws
Copperhead looks like one o the villains Scourge killed

mtriv73
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I got the target exclusive Grand Slam and whatever they're calling the sharc now. I wish I'd gotten the Hiss too, but I didn't realize these things were only $10 each. At any rate, is anyone intersted in the sharc ship? I bought it for the Grand Slam since I never had a silver one when I was young. If you're interested, PM me I'm open to any trade ideas.

El Chuxter
04-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I'll want to see it before deciding. I'll probably find it in the next week or so.

BTW, the pics at actionfigs.com confirm that the Shipwreck/Copperhead and Storm Shadow/Firefly sets both come with new comics. There's no sticker on the other set, but I don't immediately recognize the cover, so I'm guessing it's new, too.

DarkArtist
04-13-2008, 07:31 PM
still have yet to see the Target Exclusive vehicles. I really really really want an AWE Striker

figrin bran
04-13-2008, 07:50 PM
One of my local Targets had 1 entire shelf of the vehicles yesterday but by today, all that was left was a lone SHARC repaint. The box was kind of thrashed too.

The "Night Specter" as they're calling it actually looks pretty good in the darker colors. I didn't apply the shark markings as I like it better without. It's not really stealth looking with the shark stickers, if you ask me.

DarkArtist
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Finally found a AWE Striker today at the Milltown Target. They were in the actual toy aisles instead of an endcap. picked up the AWE Striker and the Cobra Hiss. Gotta say for $9.99 such a great deal. I can't wait to find the new vehicles of the RAM Motorcycle, Trouble Bubble, etc.

I can't understand why Hasbro can't do something like this with Star Wars ? I mean 1 figure and a vehicle for $9.99, even the landspeeder when it came out a few years back was $19.99 with the Luke and $15.99 without the Luke.

back on the GI JOE take, has anyone found waves 7 & 8 at retail. it looks like the few stores I have checked either have empty pegs or Wave 2 on the pegs.

El Chuxter
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
If Wave 7 is Fred (Cobra Commander II), Torpedo, and Rock 'n' Roll, I found them today.

I also found the AWE Striker and HISS today. I was on the fence, but thought they'd be $20. At $10, I couldn't pass them up. There was no SHARC (or whatever it's called). And I'm not sure why that would include Grand Slam. Weird.

Is it just me, or is the HISS shrunk down from the original mold? It looks sweet either way, but this looks more like an "Escort HISS" than what I remember.

figrin bran
04-15-2008, 12:02 AM
If Wave 7 is Fred (Cobra Commander II), Torpedo, and Rock 'n' Roll, I found them today.

I also found the AWE Striker and HISS today. I was on the fence, but thought they'd be $20. At $10, I couldn't pass them up. There was no SHARC (or whatever it's called). And I'm not sure why that would include Grand Slam. Weird.

Yes, Grand Slam's inclusion is so odd that I have Ace riding in the Night Specter for now. And I also have Wild Weasel driving the HISS :p

I think that Torpedo wave might be wave 6 but I'm not too sure on that.

RooJay
04-15-2008, 03:13 AM
I am ecstatic that I've been able to add the AWE Striker and Night Specter to my new collection! The AWE Striker was my all-time favorite Joe vehicle (the Havoc was a close second) and I was excited to find that the new one is the exact same toy I used to own back in the eighties! I thought for sure I would have to make due with a few cut corners and changes, but nope - it's all precisely as it used to be! From the working suspension, to the removable engine cover - it's all perfect! Sure Crankcase isn't quite as cool as the original (one of my all-time favorite figures) but he gets the job done; I'm hoping that someday he'll get another shot and they'll do a more dedicated sculpt (the present figure being made up solely of reused parts from other figures.) Somehow managed to miss the HISS, however. Both Target stores I went to didn't have any left over, or else didn't get any to begin with. Still, I'll be happy if I come across one and if not I'll be content to wait for an all black version. Even the SHARC/Night Specter in pretty cool in spite of the fact that it's actually a submarine being flown by a guy who is not a pilot.

El Chuxter
04-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Okay, help me out here:

ORIGINAL TEAMS (for sake of argument, including Cobras from the first miniseries of the cartoon):

Scarlett: Available in 5-pack; re-released carded and repainted for Hawk 2-pack
Snake Eyes: I'm not even glorifying this with an answer
Hawk: Available only in a comic pack with a recolored Scarlett, or in a TRU 3-pack; second version forthcoming carded
Grunt: Available only in a TRU 3-pack
Rock 'n' Roll: Released carded
Stalker: Released carded
Flash: Released carded
Grand Slam: Packed in with Target exclusive SHARC repaint (WTF?)

Leaving us with these guys unproduced and unconfirmed (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Short Fuse
Clutch
Zap
Steeler

On the Cobra side, Cobra Commander (hooded and helmeted), Destro, Baroness, and the foot soldiers have all been released. A few times.

So, assuming they keep coming out at the same rate, we're probably going to have the entire original team within 2008.

And is anyone else noticing Mutt is conspicuous in his absence?

RooJay
04-15-2008, 04:10 AM

Only about as conspicuous as the absences of bunches of others yet to be released. Mutt wasn't released until series three in 1984 - the same time as figures like Recondo, Rip Cord, Blowtorch, and Scrap Iron, and not until after figures like Airborne, Tripwire, Cover Girl, Tollbooth, Short Fuze and Zap; all of whom we are also still waiting for.

El Chuxter
04-15-2008, 04:23 AM
Yeah, but the inclusion of a cheap plastic dog seemed to make Mutt a lot more popular than the other characters. I mean, we have gotten (or are soon getting) Snake Eyes in his third action figure costume, Snake Eyes in green pants, battle-damaged Snake Eyes, and Snake Eyes with weasel skull necklace. There's a bit of an imbalance? Will we have to wait until after we get Ninja Force Snake Eyes and Eco-Warrior Flint for the guys you listed?

More importantly, is Tollbooth really on your "must have" list from that period? "Look at me! Here's a bridge for you guys to cross!!" I'd rather have "Flashback Cobra Commander as a Used Car Salesman." I'm not disrespecting your opinion, but you're the first person who has listed him as a character worth having.

RooJay
04-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah, but the inclusion of a cheap plastic dog seemed to make Mutt a lot more popular than the other characters. I mean, we have gotten (or are soon getting) Snake Eyes in his third action figure costume, Snake Eyes in green pants, battle-damaged Snake Eyes, and Snake Eyes with weasel skull necklace. There's a bit of an imbalance? Will we have to wait until after we get Ninja Force Snake Eyes and Eco-Warrior Flint for the guys you listed?

More importantly, is Tollbooth really on your "must have" list from that period? "Look at me! Here's a bridge for you guys to cross!!" I'd rather have "Flashback Cobra Commander as a Used Car Salesman." I'm not disrespecting your opinion, but you're the first person who has listed him as a character worth having.

To answer your questions:
1 - No, we probably won't have to wait for Ninja Force Snake Eyes and Eco-Warrior Flint before we get to the guys I listed - I'm betting most, if not all of them are coming sooner rather than later. On top of that, I'm willing to bet good money that Mutt and Junkyard will definitely be announced among the next couple of assortments we learn about. The point I was making was that nobody has been done before Mutt that should not have been done before Mutt.

and 2 - Yes, Tollbooth really is on my "must have" list. I say that without hint of sarcasm. We all have our favorites, and Tollbooth was one of mine; and for a good many reasons. However, I would much prefer he come with the Bridgelayer rather than carded individually.

El Chuxter
04-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Ask and you shall receive. Hasbro has a survey online where we can vote for ten figures for re-release in what looks like it'll be a "GIJoe Legends" styled line in 2009. They listed twelve that aren't out yet, and were unknown until today (though they had no pics, which makes it tough to vote for them):

51 Duke Tiger Force
Looks like they're going to "piecemeal" the Tiger Force. Since it was a way to re-release figures in the 80s, I don't see any point. But it's repaints, and Hasbro loves it some repaints.

52 Cobra Wraith
The Devil's Due character, I'm guessing? Not a big fan of the character, but he looks kinda cool.

53 Mutt & Junkyard
Never heard of 'em. ;)

54 Cobra Para-Vipers
These are generic troopers with parachutes, right?

55 Cobra Bazooka Trooper
Wonder if this will be one of the specialized Vipers. I forget what the bazooka-toting version was called.

56 Cobra Croc Master
Unexpected. Someone at Hasbro loves this guy. I can think of probably a full dozen Cobras I'd have picked first. I won't complain, but he was hardly top of the list.

57 Pilot Scarlett
WTF? When did Scarlett ever fly anything?

58 Specialist Trakker
Who? Seriously this time. Maybe they lost the rights to a name, or something. Otherwise, I'm baffled.

59 Sgt. Airborne
Yeah, this guy was pretty sorely needed.

60 Cobra Eel
Nice! Hopefully he'll be one of the better figures, like the original was.

61 Swamp Zartan
I'm assuming this is a more 80s-accurate version of the character?

62 Flint in Cobra gear
Can't figure where this one's from, either, but it makes a lot more sense than Pilot Scarlett.

Sadly, it looks like non-carded figures are ineligible. Grunt and Hawk version 1 would be top of my voting list if that were the case.

TheRealDubya
04-15-2008, 11:13 AM
62 Flint in Cobra gear
Can't figure where this one's from, either, but it makes a lot more sense than Pilot Scarlett.

I am guessing this will be Flint as seen in "The Revenge of Cobra" mini-series where he and Mutt pull a Han & Luke and jack some Cobra uniforms and go into the bar where they meet Shipwreck.

TheRealDubya
04-15-2008, 11:27 AM
57 Pilot Scarlett
WTF? When did Scarlett ever fly anything?

Could be one of two things:

1.) A version of Scarlett as a Skystriker pilot from "The MASS Device" mini-series:

2.) Or it could be an update of a vintage International (Argentina) repaint of Scarlett called "Glenda", who was a helicopter pilot:

Click HERE (http://www.loserville.us/~gunslingercbr/25thGlenda.html) & HERE (http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/arg-glenda.shtml)

El Chuxter
04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh man. I forgot about that.

Since they're making so many cartoon-only characters, I really hope they don't neglect the comic-only characters. Or think that Wraith is going go to cut it. I won't rest until I have an official release of Billy.

mtriv73
04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Okay, help me out here:

ORIGINAL TEAMS (for sake of argument, including Cobras from the first miniseries of the cartoon):

Scarlett: Available in 5-pack; re-released carded and repainted for Hawk 2-pack
Snake Eyes: I'm not even glorifying this with an answer
Hawk: Available only in a comic pack with a recolored Scarlett, or in a TRU 3-pack; second version forthcoming carded
Grunt: Available only in a TRU 3-pack
Rock 'n' Roll: Released carded
Stalker: Released carded
Flash: Released carded
Grand Slam: Packed in with Target exclusive SHARC repaint (WTF?)

Leaving us with these guys unproduced and unconfirmed (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Short Fuse
Clutch
Zap
Steeler

On the Cobra side, Cobra Commander (hooded and helmeted), Destro, Baroness, and the foot soldiers have all been released. A few times.

So, assuming they keep coming out at the same rate, we're probably going to have the entire original team within 2008.

Clutch is coming with the upcoming VAMP and Steeler with the armadillo. BBTS has them up for presale if you want pictures.

TheRealDubya
04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Oh man. I forgot about that.

Since they're making so many cartoon-only characters, I really hope they don't neglect the comic-only characters. Or think that Wraith is going go to cut it. I won't rest until I have an official release of Billy.

I read in one of the Joe Q&A's last week that Dr. Venom, Kwinn and Billy are not on any of the short lists for being made prior to the movie, at which point the "25th" (being renamed for 2008 as Modern ERA Real American Hero -- MERAH?) is being phased out (although a component of it may continue as a subline.) I wasn't too pumped to read that.

Here's the quote, from www.yojoe.com (http://www.yojoe.com) :

I'm sure you're getting tired of being asked this, but considering "Scarface " got a release in a recent comic pack, what are the chances of getting Dr. Venom, Billy, or Kwinn? If they're not on the release schedule, why not, since demand is pretty high?\

Sorry, none of the three are on " the list "

Also, found a pic of the Doc figure, carded: (http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2F25th_Doc%2F&pic=007.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0)

El Chuxter
04-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but they got hounded repeatedly with Yarna requests in the Q&A, and we're finally getting her.

Also, Transformers Classics went "on hiatus" with the carpfest movie, but is returning shortly. This line seems way too popular to be cancelled, though I can see them putting it on the backburner while they make fifty different variations of Marlon Wayans and the Third Rock kid. :)

RooJay
04-16-2008, 02:54 AM
56 Cobra Croc Master
Unexpected. Someone at Hasbro loves this guy. I can think of probably a full dozen Cobras I'd have picked first. I won't complain, but he was hardly top of the list.

Wait-a-minute - you get all bent out of shape when I suggest a bit more patience in waiting for Mutt and Junkyard, but you can't manage to get behind the guy that came with the frikkin' crocodile?! ;)
Interesting story: my own Croc Master figure lost his lower right leg in an unfortunate play related accident. An appropriately sized length of snipped wire clothes hanger, heated over the stove burner and pushed into place and a newly re-imagined backstory made him all better. Seems one day his pet croc was feeling a little crankier and hungrier than usual and SNAP - Croc Master was now a peg-leg!

58 Specialist Trakker
Who? Seriously this time. Maybe they lost the rights to a name, or something. Otherwise, I'm baffled.

Trakker was the Navy Seal in the sports jersey that came with an orange, inflatable raft and was released around the same time as Bullhorn, Ambush and Capt. Grid Iron if I recall correctly. Come to think of it - wouldn't Capt. Grid Iron have been a better choice for this type of poll? Doubtful any of us fans of his could hope to expect to see him redone under any other circumstances.

59 Sgt. Airborne
Yeah, this guy was pretty sorely needed.

60 Cobra Eel
Nice! Hopefully he'll be one of the better figures, like the original was.

You ask me, both these guys should already be scheduled for release. Why should we need to vote on whether or not we get them?

RooJay
04-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Hey, I don't know if anyone else had already mentioned this but I found something pretty cool while snooping around HasbroToyShop.com -

Looks like we'll be getting that all black HISS after all!

El Chuxter
04-16-2008, 09:29 AM
The figures are scheduled for release. The voting is for a re-release in 2009 (even though we've not seen anything about several figures, and only PhotoShopped pics of many others).

I don't dislike Croc Master at all, but he never played an important role in the cartoon or comics. Or maybe he did in the DIC cartoon; I avoided that suckfest like the plague.

I don't remember Tracker, but it is interesting to see 90s characters already being thrown in the mix. Most of those fell into one of two categories: "stupid" or "classic characters in stupid new costumes." (Pray that Robo-Joe and Space Roadblock aren't on the schedule.) According to his filecard, he's supposed to be better at tracking and evading than either Snake Eyes or Spirit, which seems a bit much for a Navy SEAL who's dumb enough to wear bright neon colors. (And, uh, wouldn't Wet Suit have been a better choice for the second SEAL figure?)

DarthQuack
04-16-2008, 07:14 PM
I've been slacking with getting any of these figures, I really want to catch up quick too....may just have to bit the bullet and picked up a big lot on egay with the first 4-5 waves.

RooJay
04-17-2008, 12:28 AM
The figures are scheduled for release. The voting is for a re-release in 2009 (even though we've not seen anything about several figures, and only PhotoShopped pics of many others).

My bad - I caught that after the fact, but didn't think it important enough to justify the edit or another post.

I don't remember Tracker, but it is interesting to see 90s characters already being thrown in the mix. Most of those fell into one of two categories: "stupid" or "classic characters in stupid new costumes." (Pray that Robo-Joe and Space Roadblock aren't on the schedule.) According to his filecard, he's supposed to be better at tracking and evading than either Snake Eyes or Spirit, which seems a bit much for a Navy SEAL who's dumb enough to wear bright neon colors.

He was a cool looking figure, but yeah - totally wrong design for his specialty!

(And, uh, wouldn't Wet Suit have been a better choice for the second SEAL figure?)

Unfortunately not financially, which is what it all comes down to.

El Chuxter
04-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Is this a new toy, or am I just way out of the loop?

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=520&ST=PR&ID=21689&PG=3

Dunno what's cooler--the Tele-Viper, the Cycle, or the Trouble Bubble. Sure, this means I really didn't need that comic 2-pack with Destro and Breaker, but at least I got the points for Doc. I actually prefer the second motorcycle they released (the silver something-or-other), but I dig this one, and it's definitely more "iconic."

DarkArtist
04-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Is this a new toy, or am I just way out of the loop?

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=520&ST=PR&ID=21689&PG=3

Dunno what's cooler--the Tele-Viper, the Cycle, or the Trouble Bubble. Sure, this means I really didn't need that comic 2-pack with Destro and Breaker, but at least I got the points for Doc. I actually prefer the second motorcycle they released (the silver something-or-other), but I dig this one, and it's definitely more "iconic."

I can't wait for these either. I really loved the RAM Motorcycle and Trouble Bubble as a kid and look forward to getting multiples of this set once released.

the second motorcycle you refer to is the Silver Mirage motorcycle with sidecar, and there was I think the LAV sled from the GI Joe Movie.

Blue2th
04-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Can't believe we're halfway through the 25th Ann. line already. I've gotten up to 32 of 62 on the list including variants. Though I need to check I might be missing Wild Bill. http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsid=4D0013DF-D56F-E112-498D081621A3F5CE

DarkArtist
04-20-2008, 03:39 PM
I still need from #'s 33 on. haven't had any luck finally these guys. all i see are the scarlett comic packs and a few Cobra officers

jedimastergeorge06
04-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Can some one tell me why in the world is the flint and lady jay and firefly is so darn hard to find and if you do find them, its on ebay and even then you have to pay so much for them.

DarkArtist
04-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Can some one tell me why in the world is the flint and lady jay and firefly is so darn hard to find and if you do find them, its on ebay and even then you have to pay so much for them.

well Flint is from the first wave so that's hard to find, FireFly is just one cool figure, and as far as Lady Jaye, I would wait till the DVD pack release in June for the better looking Lady Jaye. I passed on her since she looks horrid, actually saw one today with 2 lonely cobra officers.

on another note: I really really really want a figure of Scarlett in this outfit from the new movie due out in 2009. see attached.

El Chuxter
04-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I guarantee you'll get that, as well as three other resculpts, when the movie comes out. :)

Also, I found the Night Spectre today. Looks like different Targets put the exclusive stuff out at different times, as there were two of each Joe vehicle (and a carpload of those mediocre Order 66 packs).

DarkArtist
04-23-2008, 06:12 PM
picked up the night specter tonight at Target. the only thing that's bad about this is that I already broke one of the flip of guns, it's jammed in the up position.:upset::upset:

Old Fossil
04-25-2008, 10:54 AM
I've picked up a very few of this line so far... just 4 basic carded figures: Snow Job (awesome figure!!!), 2 CG's, and Storm Shadow (non-camo, white duds). Anyway, I'm obviously a little behind, and am thinking about getting some I've missed.

My questions are: what are the 5-10 best figures of this line so far, in your opinions? And what are the best figures of Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander (2 glaring omissions from my current inventory:D)?

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice!

Blue2th
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I've picked up a very few of this line so far... just 4 basic carded figures: Snow Job (awesome figure!!!), 2 CG's, and Storm Shadow (non-camo, white duds). Anyway, I'm obviously a little behind, and am thinking about getting some I've missed.

My questions are: what are the 5-10 best figures of this line so far, in your opinions? And what are the best figures of Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander (2 glaring omissions from my current inventory:D)?

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice!
Cobra Commander should be easy to get. Except for the new armored one. There are three:
Cobra with hood (dark blue- same as the one in the "Legions" 5-pack I think)
Cobra with mask (light blue- same as the one in the first 5-pack)
Cobra in Armor (this is my favorite Cobra and not typical Cobra looking)

Snake Eyes I'm not sure but if I had to say which one I would say it's Snake Eyes with Black Timber (wolf), because it's so rare, so if you see one-$$$ nab it quick!

My favorite so far is Torpedo (lots of cool skin diving equipment)

El Chuxter
04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Tough to limit it down. Aside from Lady Jaye and Serpentor, they're all good.

I'd recommend tracking down or ordering the first two five-packs (not Cobra Legions, though it is a nice set). Or maybe just the first one, since you got white Storm Shadow already.

For Snake Eyes, there's a lot of choices. I don't want to say anything for certain until the next one (based on costume #3 from the original line, with the spike-knuckle trench knives on his torso) comes out; he was always my favorite Snake Eyes back in the day.

Hooded Cobra Commander is pretty easy to find around here, as are (oddly enough) single-carded Cobra Troopers. He's probably the best. There is a slightly recolored version of the helmeted version coming in the next wave or two that has the silver stripe on the helmet that every previous version has missed. And the current figure that's called Cobra Commander (and is really the impostor CG, if you read the comic) is one awesomely sweet figure.

figrin bran
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Old Fossil, I'd recommend the Wild Weasel/Ace comic pack. Ace isn't that great but Wild Weasel is perhaps my favorite of the line thus far. Of course, it helps that most of him is the Snow Job mold, which apparently you already own.

Old Fossil
05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Since my last post, I've picked up

Destro (red cape)
Cobra Commander (battle armor)
Buzzer

Torpedo
Snake Eyes (w/gray wolf)

I felt very lucky to have found Snake Eyes last night at TRU. FB, I'm going to be picking up the Ace/Wild Weasel pack soon, based on your glowing recommendation.

Anyone know when the wave with Wild Bill and the Native American guy is supposed to ship?

Blue2th
05-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Anyone know when the wave with Wild Bill and the Native American guy is supposed to ship?
I found a few from this wave at Walmart last week. So they are out there in limited numbers I think. Unfortunately Wild Bill and Spirit Iron Knife were missing from the pegs. They seem to be the first ones to get bought up.

Old Fossil
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Picked up Ssgt. Rock n' Roll this morning. Really nice figure, great detail and articulation. I'm wondering if the head would swap for one of the Endor Rebels...

Blue2th
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Went to 3 Targets this morning and the new wave is hitting. Picked up the two I was missing:
Spirit Iron Knife
Wild Bill

I also noticed this morning that HTS has a few vehicles you can pre-order (I don't know why you can't do that on the figures) There's:
H.I.S.S.
Armadillo vs Air Chariot
Vamp w/Double Clutch
also the Mass Device and Weather DVD packs are up for pre-order.

Old Fossil
05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Went to 3 Targets this morning and the new wave is hitting. Picked up the two I was missing:
Spirit Iron Knife
Wild Bill

Cool. I'll be keeping a sharp lookout for those now.

As an aside, does anybody here army-build from this line? As in, Cobra infantry or CG's, etc?

RooJay
05-08-2008, 02:28 AM
You guys are making me feel hella bad since I've now had all of those figures for over three weeks. I'd found the entire assortment at Wal-Mart.

Phantom-like Menace
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I also found the most recent figures at Wal-Mart. I picked up Snake Eyes and Spirit, but I haven't opened them yet.

El Chuxter
05-08-2008, 06:04 PM
It's been confirmed that Trakker is actually Matt Trakker from the craptastic MASK toyline and crappiertastic cartoon.

Commence complaining now.

Me, I'm just going to speak with my dollars. Or lack thereof. I won't buy this, nor will I buy any cartoon-only figures. (I did, unexpectedly, make an exception for Duke w/ Jetpack, since it looked so damned cool, and will make a nice stand-alone display piece.) Remakes of originals and new comic-based characters for me. I have to draw the line somewhere. I might change my mind, though, if they make Breakdancing Snake Eyes or Cobra Commander as Old Snake.

figrin bran
05-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I loved the MASK toyline and still own quite a few of them. I wouldn't mind buying a Matt Trakker, that's assuming that I'll find it as I've not seen anything from wave 7 yet and as I'm not hitting stores daily and HTS hasn't stocked them yet, it might not happen.

I also read a crazy rumor that Hasbro will release a Sari (from Transformers Animated) with a T-Bob from MASk.

Phantom-like Menace
05-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Mask was great. No problem getting a Matt Trakker figure, though it'll be a shame not to have Thunderhawk as well. As an aside, it would be severely cool to have Rhino in 1:18 scale.

What an odd figure to put out in G.I. Joe, though. But if it could lead to some Joe 25th-quality MASK toys, I'll be happy to be surprised.

Edit: So I just opened Snake Eyes, the remake of the '89 version, and I noticed three things very quickly. First, it's awesome that they added the strap over his shoulder that you can clip his submachine gun to. He can actually hold all of his weapons at the same time! Sweet! Second I was kind of disappointed that he didn't come with a blow dart gun. Third, his right leg is just weird. It looks like his anatomy has an extra joint in it like Lak Sivrak. I can't really explain it very well, but it's weird enough that one look at it will tell you what I can't.

figrin bran
05-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I just managed to order a Viper from HTS but it looks like they're now back to "coming soon" status on those. Oddly enough, no other wave 7 figures were available but with my luck, or lack thereof, HTS will put them up later on while I'm away at work.

Old Fossil
05-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Picked up a Duke figure last Sunday. First new (for me) Joe I've found in a while.

Man, distribution for this line SUCKS. I thought Star Wars was bad.

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I got the Duke/Grunt/Hawk set from tru.com yesterday. I do not recommend dealing with them online. I've seen damaged packaging before, but this one looked like it had been re-opened and retaped! All the parts are intact, but, if I were a carded collector (who most of the people buying these sets probably are), I'd be p***ed! If they're messed up that badly, they shouldn't sell them online. Put them in a store so someone can see how screwed the box is so they can decide for themselves if it's worth the full price or not.

Seriously, the box had two layers of tape, and was so messed up, I would've probably passed on it in the store without even checking the figures if there were two.

Adam
05-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Is the helmeted Cobra Commander in the TRU 3packs the same pin-headed version that was released single carded? I want that version of him to go with my Duke w/flag I just got, but with a noggin that looks normal.

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I've not seen it "in the wild." Judging from the pics online, he's the same, though. I believe it's also the same Cobra Commander re-cast in red for the Crimson Guard 3-pack. (It was out of stock when I ordered the Grunt set, and I didn't want to miss out on Grunt. I'll get the Crimson Guard pack if I see it, or if someone else sees it and wants to help a brother out, almost entirely for the CG Officer, but I'm not going to lose sleep if I can't get it.)

RooJay
05-14-2008, 02:24 AM
I got the Duke/Grunt/Hawk set from tru.com yesterday. I do not recommend dealing with them online. I've seen damaged packaging before, but this one looked like it had been re-opened and retaped! All the parts are intact, but, if I were a carded collector (who most of the people buying these sets probably are), I'd be p***ed! If they're messed up that badly, they shouldn't sell them online. Put them in a store so someone can see how screwed the box is so they can decide for themselves if it's worth the full price or not.

Seriously, the box had two layers of tape, and was so messed up, I would've probably passed on it in the store without even checking the figures if there were two.

:rolleyes:
Every figure I ever buy ends up with damaged packaging. Same goes for everyone I know personally who is buying these figures. Sorry dude, I can't help it. I just can't imagine why anybody continues to buy action figures only to keep them in the packages. To each his own, however!

El Chuxter
05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah, but I tend to pass on items that have clearly been opened if there's no alternative. I'm just paranoid something might be missing, or there was a reason they might have been bought and returned (figure swap, broken arm, etc). I don't keep them packaged, but it does seem odd that the supposedly biggest toy retailer, when dealing with an exclusive item in a line geared mostly toward adults* would ship items in such bad condition.

*--I know that people are mistaken when they say kids don't buy Star Wars stuff. However, I've yet to see a kid interested in a decades-old toyline with no cartoon or easily-accessible comic book to support it.

Blue2th
05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Sometimes I don't mind buying a package that's damaged, if I'm looking for an opener, but I am definitely leery of anything that's been opened, and will not buy it, because of what Chux just said about switched and unseen damaged or broken parts.
I was at TRU the other day and saw an Ultimate Soldier 1:18 P-51 Mustang "Old Crow" switched for a BBI one.
Anyone who looks at the box picture then looks at what's in there could tell.
Of course the TRU employees don't know the difference.
I used to tell them about every one I spotted, but the way I've been treated, or just even the way they look at you when you walk in ("there's that collector guy again")
They don't appreciate it, so F*ck em.

Old Fossil
05-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Of course the TRU employees don't know the difference.
I used to tell them about every one I spotted, but the way I've been treated, or just even the way they look at you when you walk in ("there's that collector guy again")
They don't appreciate it, so F*ck em.

You're right! Last month my wife, who is a Barbie collector, found a TRU exclusive Wizard of Oz Winkie Guard on the shelf, minus the Winged Monkey accessory. So we took it up to the Customer Service desk and told them about it, and they put it away behind the counter. Two weeks later we are in there again, and the same Winkie Guard sans Monkey was on the shelf. We took it back to the counter again. Next time we're in TRU, hello! Winkie Guard on the shelf AGAIN.

I guess TRU employees aren't paid enough to particularly care.... even when the customers do the work for them!:rolleyes:

RooJay
05-15-2008, 02:05 AM
You're right! Last month my wife, who is a Barbie collector, found a TRU exclusive Wizard of Oz Winkie Guard on the shelf, minus the Winged Monkey accessory. So we took it up to the Customer Service desk and told them about it, and they put it away behind the counter. Two weeks later we are in there again, and the same Winkie Guard sans Monkey was on the shelf. We took it back to the counter again. Next time we're in TRU, hello! Winkie Guard on the shelf AGAIN.

I guess TRU employees aren't paid enough to particularly care.... even when the customers do the work for them!:rolleyes:

The problem with that isn't usually that the employees don't care. I've spent a lot of time working in retail in my day (never with TRU, but they all operate pretty much the same no matter which store you're talking about) and often it's not the service center associates who restock go-backs and such, but rather the floor associates. Often the go-backs aren't able to be returned to the shelves or processed as damaged until the end of the night after at least a couple of shift changes. In my experience, sometimes it's not remembered to tell the next shift coming on why an item was brought to the service desk and what kind of treatment it needs and there can frequently be oversights. It's not that the folks working there just don't care necessarily (although that kind of thing does go on as well) it's just that one: these establishments usually are nowhere near as organized as one might think, two: the employees really don't get paid that much to make these kinds of things any kind of serious priority, and three: there are often plenty of customers for whom this kind of thing doesn't really matter all that much and may actually buy it anyway (I know it sounds ridiculous, but it certainly is the case more often than you'd think.) In general, unless someone is looking for that particular item and the only one still in stock is the damaged one (or the one with missing parts) it's usually just not that big a priority at all for anyone involved. A lot of times what will happen is that someone may want it, but realizing that something is missing they'll just ask for a discount and buy item as is. If it just really bothers you that you keep seeing an imperfect item on the shelves then I would recommend that you just try and avert your eyes - the employees at the store really don't get paid enough to begin with and unless someone for whom it matters buys the item unawares it's just never really a problem.

Blue2th
05-15-2008, 09:03 AM
You're right! Last month my wife, who is a Barbie collector, found a TRU exclusive Wizard of Oz Winkie Guard on the shelf, minus the Winged Monkey accessory.

Hey, I've got one of those. Had to have that Winged Monkey. Somebody like me (though I don't do that sort of thing) wanted him too.

I've already seen a GI Joe comic pack with one of the figures changed out with a cheapo elite-corps or something like that at Target just the other day. I looked at the package, and for the life of me, I couldn't understand how someone did it. I thought this guy is an expert repackager! How did he get that tape off without tearing it? I did tell a Target employee who was in the toy dept. and a day later he was gone on my re-visit. Maybe they removed him or someone bought him.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I've seen that on the Joes, too. One was a switcheroo between the new Dreadnoks and the early-2000's reissue Dreadnoks, but another was something totally random, like a Stormtrooper for Breaker. That's what worried me at first about the High Command set, especially since the colors on Duke don't exactly match the pics on TRU's site. But I verified by looking at the few dozen Duke/Cobra Commander sets that it's not that Duke, and I've got the other two. I think it just was heavily damaged in stock and some employee re-taped it to try to make it look better (and failed).

figrin bran
05-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Go to HTS right now to preorder some of the upcoming figures! B.A.T, Barbecue, Snow Serpent, just to name a few.

Mvader91
05-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Man, Thanks for the heads up. Just placed my order. Wv 7 is hitting in Indy. You tha man.

El Chuxter
05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Ditto, figgy. I almost forgot to check this morning. Ordered a pretty big swath of figures, skipping only Tiger Force Flint and that weird black Storm Shadow. The HISS Driver and Major Bludd were sold out, too. Also placed the order for a certain giant robot T-Rex.

Blue2th
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up Figrin!!!
I went there right away. Ordered:

Barbecue
Baroness
Cobra B.A.T.
Cobra Officer
Flint
Hawk
Roadblock
Bazooka
Snake Eyes
Snow Serpent
Storm Shadow
GI Joe DVD Battles "The M.A.S.S. Device" with four figures. (this has been up for a while, but I think it's a good value, was going to order it today anyways)

Sadly I missed Major Bludd, but I'm happy with this load. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
The Duke/Red Star set is also up, though it's not available yet. Nothing on the Shipwreck/Copperhead or Storm Shadow/Firefly sets. Hopefully those will pop up soon with Major Bludd, the HISS, and the HISS Driver.

Why is Major Bludd so freaking popular? I dig the character and all, but why would he consistently sell out faster than, say, the BAT or Viper?

figrin bran
05-16-2008, 10:48 AM
The HISS Driver was still "coming soon" when I checked last night so in all likelihood, he along with Major Bludd weren't available.

Beast
05-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Started a new thread in the Galactic Heroes forum for the...

G.I. Joe: Combat Heroes!! :D

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=619669

El Chuxter
05-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Between the Combat Heroes Snake Eyes/Timber set and the "Early Days" Cobra Commander (I have no idea if that's what he's called, but that's what I think he looks like), GIJoe has the best SDCC exclusives, bar none.

I only hope they're more easily obtained than Pimp Daddy Destro.

Blue2th
05-18-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm not really into the Combat Heroes, but I'm hoping the Early Days Cobra is available at HTS during or after the show. I'll be checking HTS every day around that time.

DarkArtist
05-18-2008, 03:55 PM
picked up the Duke with American Flag today at Target. passed on Wild Bill, not liking the sculpt. first sighting of new figures since March for me.

El Chuxter
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
You passed on Wild Bill? Wow. I didn't realize it was legal to have a collection of Joes without Wild Bill.

I always wanted that rootin'-tootin' faller when I was a kid. Never happened, though. :(

Mvader91
05-18-2008, 06:03 PM
He is a cool sculpt in my opinion. Maybe because he is not packed in with the dragonfly.

TheRealDubya
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Picked up a Viper yesterday. Very cool figure; hands are kind of funky though.

Blue2th
05-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Went to Target today and they had the new wave of GI Joes. Picked up the new Cobra and Python Patrol Officer.
I noticed they changed the cards. Instead of silver around the edges and on the "GI Joe" print and stripes it is white. There is no longer "25th Anniversary" in the top right corner, instead things like "Python Patrol" and "From the GI Joe Cartoon" or "As seen on TV"
Oh well, I still like the cards, but not as much as with the silver and 25th Anniversary on them.

I saw the recent Viper in both the silver and white trimmed card variations.

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2008, 12:50 AM
I'll pick up Tiger Force Flint and Python Patrol Cobra Trooper, but I can't see myself getting more than one of the trooper.

Snow Serpent was always a favorite of mine (weird for a guy who's only lived in Florida and the middle of the Pacific Ocean and only seen snow on distant mountain tops), so it'll be hard for me not to buy at least a squad (which means I will have to have at least a squad of regular troopers and I only have two right now).

I might get Major Bludd. He's just never been a favorite.

I have little need of any new CC or Roadblock unless it's a deluxe "Was once a man" set, and then even for the jokes I probably won't get it.

Hawk, Bazooka, and Barbeque (Why is Firefox telling me that's misspelled?) are must buys.

Ah, the classic B.A.T. redone. I'm going to have to make myself stop at eight.

Who's the female diver in the DVD pack?

RooJay
05-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Who's the female diver in the DVD pack?

That'd be the Baroness in Scuba Gear.

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Hmm, thanks. Does she realize she's red? She's the Baroness and she's red. That's an entirely new category of wash come laundry day.

DarkArtist
05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
stopped by Walmart this morning on the way to work, nothing new in Indy figures, no new Star Wars but plenty of GI JOE.... picked up:

Major Bludd
Flint
Spirit Iron Knife
Python Patrol Officer
2 Cobra Vipers
City Assualt Roadblock
Cobra Hiss Driver
Snake Eyes with butterfly knives
Wild Bill

passed on comic appearence Baroness, Snow Parka Snake Eyes, and Cobra Commander with Mass Crystals.

Old Fossil
05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
stopped by Walmart this morning on the way to work, nothing new in Indy figures, no new Star Wars but plenty of GI JOE.... picked up:

Major Bludd
Flint
Spirit Iron Knife
Python Patrol Officer
2 Cobra Vipers
City Assualt Roadblock
Cobra Hiss Driver
Snake Eyes with butterfly knives
Wild Bill

passed on comic appearence Baroness, Snow Parka Snake Eyes, and Cobra Commander with Mass Crystals.

Whoa... awesome haul!:thumbsup: I am jealous...

El Chuxter
05-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I saw (at two different Targets):

Spirit
Trench Knives Snake Eyes
HISS Driver
MASS Device Cobra Commander
About a bazillion Vipers

I'd ordered Spirit and the Viper already (and, not being a huge Viper, I don't need a lot), so I only picked up Snake Eyes and the HISS Driver. I can't justify $7 for a Cobra Commander with the silver stripe on his helmet being the only difference.

Major Bludd is proving to be a major witch to find. :(

figrin bran
05-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I got HISS Driver and Wild Bill from HTS which is a great relief as there's too much competition for these figures here in LA and even though many of you are reporting wave 7 Target finds, I won't be able to hunt until Sat.

With my lack of luck though, I'll find pegs full on that day!

RooJay
05-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Hmm, thanks. Does she realize she's red? She's the Baroness and she's red. That's an entirely new category of wash come laundry day.

Watch the DVD she comes with and you'll see why the figure is red.

TheRealDubya
05-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Watch the DVD she comes with and you'll see why the figure is red.

Zactly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uyOdw-_ZQ4M

El Chuxter
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Y'know, it's been so long, I honestly don't remember this episode.

I guess that's the cartoon origin of Timber we see? That is the coolest clip ever, because that is the most massive bear ever. Ergo, massive bear = cool clip.

Blue2th
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
At Walmart today:

Copperhead & Shipwreck comic 2-pk
Duke & Red Star comic 2-pk

Major Bludd (finally)

El Chuxter
05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Aww, man, don't tell me the new comics packs are out.

I was happy with being almost caught up. :(

Blue2th
05-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Yup, but only one Walmart out of four had them. Seems I missed one 2-pk
Major Bludd however is hitting with a vengence, so nows the time to get that elusive scoundrel. I missed him at HTS so I'm happy I found him.

TheRealDubya
05-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Yup, but only one Walmart out of four had them. Seems I missed one 2-pk
Major Bludd however is hitting with a vengence, so nows the time to get that elusive scoundrel. I missed him at HTS so I'm happy I found him.

How's the Copperhead and Shipwreck figs? They look pretty sweet in the small pictures I've seen.

TheRealDubya
05-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Y'know, it's been so long, I honestly don't remember this episode.

I guess that's the cartoon origin of Timber we see? That is the coolest clip ever, because that is the most massive bear ever. Ergo, massive bear = cool clip.

The only thing that would've been better is a Giant Polar Monkey, but I'll take the bear.

jamesbondo07
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I found these the today at Wal-Mart.

Baroness
Roadblock
Python Officer
Major Bludd
Cobra Commander
Tiger Force Flint
Wild Bill
Spirit.

Why does this cobra commander have what looks like a brain in a jar and why is the 25th anniversary logo replaced with "from the GIJOE Cartoon series"?

Blue2th
05-22-2008, 08:30 PM
How's the Copperhead and Shipwreck figs? They look pretty sweet in the small pictures I've seen.
They look pretty cool.
I haven't opened it yet, but I need to open a bunch of these for the Doc figure mail-away (anybody done that yet?)

Copperhead's helmet doesn't look removable. Nice all green but different shades of green outfit. I like his machine gun with a grenade launcher.

Shipwreck is cool, correct tatoo. Black pants, white shirt, dk. blue hat, orange life preserver. His weapon is a hook on a rope, small revolver.

El Chuxter
05-22-2008, 09:48 PM
It's Cobra Commander with a MASS Device piece, so it's cartoon-specific. They replaced the logo because it's not 2007 anymore (never mind that the original line went on for a decade). The color is very slightly darker, and he has the silver stripe on the helmet, but that's the only real differences.

Blue2th
05-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I was looking at the Doc Mail away certificate, and printed it up. It mentioned you could use Battle Points to get additional Doc figures. I remember the old flag type, but how do you get them with the new figures, or is it even possible? I'm not seeing anything that looks like a Battle Point on any of the cards. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Phantom-like Menace
05-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Zactly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uyOdw-_ZQ4M

Thanks for the link. I remember watching that episode, but I didn't remember any specifics.

TheRealDubya
05-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I was looking at the Doc Mail away certificate, and printed it up. It mentioned you could use Battle Points to get additional Doc figures. I remember the old flag type, but how do you get them with the new figures, or is it even possible? I'm not seeing anything that looks like a Battle Point on any of the cards. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Unfortunately, the battle points don't come with the new figs. The promo allows longtime collectors to send in old battle/flag points from the RAH, VvV...or any other older Joe line and get multiple Docs without getting tons of comic packs. Great deal for longtime fans.

TheRealDubya
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
They look pretty cool.
I haven't opened it yet, but I need to open a bunch of these for the Doc figure mail-away (anybody done that yet?)

Copperhead's helmet doesn't look removable. Nice all green but different shades of green outfit. I like his machine gun with a grenade launcher.

Shipwreck is cool, correct tatoo. Black pants, white shirt, dk. blue hat, orange life preserver. His weapon is a hook on a rope, small revolver.

Awesome -- I look forward to getting that set. I don't like the Storm Shadow at all, but I really like the Firefly. Duke and Red Star are cool looking too.

Blue2th
05-23-2008, 02:56 PM
It's funny that after posting, I opened the Copperhead-Shipwreck 2-pk, was reading the comic and I noticed Shipwreck has a shark tatoo in the story, but the figure has the anchor.

Too bad about the Battle Points, though it's cool they are loyal to the older GI Joe fans.

It's sad that all the Star Wars Jedi Points I saved up over the years and still have don't count for anything. What happened to Hasbro's loyalty to fans there? A little two-faced if you ask me :hurt:

El Chuxter
05-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't want any spoilers, but would you mind posting the numbers of the issues? I'm curious when they take place.