PDA

View Full Version : Coin Collectors: What Figures Would You Have Skipped?

TheRealDubya
11-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I have to admit that I got roped into buying all 60 basic figures this year by the inclusion of the coins (SUCKER.) So I was just thinking, what figures would I most definitely have skipped this year, were it not for COIN RUSH FEVER. My picks:

01 Darth Vader
02 Galactic Marine
03 Mustafar Lava Miner
04 R2-D2 (Combined with Super Battle Droid)
05 Obi-Wan Kenobi
06 Mace Windu
07 Airborne Trooper
08 Super Battle Droid (Combined with R2-D2)
11 Han Solo (Falcon Gunner)
12 Luke Skywalker (Ceremony)
16 Darth Vader
18 Luke Skywalker (with Moisture Vaporator)
25 Luke Skywalker
27 Umpass-Stay
28 Darth Vader (McQuarrie Concept) - w/ 2nd Mask
30 C-3PO & Salacious Crumb
38 Han Solo (with Torture Rack)
39 Lando Calrissian (in Smuggler's Outfit)
40 General McQuarrie
46 R2-D2 with Cargo Net
48 Holographic Darth Vader
49 Clone Trooper (Episode III – Brown)
52 Naboo Soldier (Red Gear)
53 Rebel Vanguard Trooper (BF Video Game)
54 Pax Bonkik
55 Clone Trooper (Training Gear)
56 Padmé Amidala
59 Destroyer Droid

So, I would if skipped a little under half of this year's offering. Hasbro is CLEVER, playing on my OCD like that. So when you see an ebay auction with these very characters in it next Spring, you'll know who's behind it.

I also would have skipped all of the Legends, except for the Boba (how it really went down is had to get 7, to get each coin.) So that's another 6 figs I could have skipped.

Anyone else get roped in?

DarkArtist
11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
regardless of whether Hasbro packed a coin, holo figure, display stand or something else, I would still buy them all. For those who don't like the gimmicks, don't buy, no one is forcing you

TheRealDubya
11-08-2007, 06:11 PM
regardless of whether Hasbro packed a coin, holo figure, display stand or something else, I would still buy them all. For those who don't like the gimmicks, don't buy, no one is forcing you

My problem is I liked the gimmick better than the toys!:shocked:

I do have to admit that some of the figures I would have passed on I ended up enjoying.

Kidhuman
11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
I have skipped:

Obi-Wan
Mace
R2-D2
SBD
Luke Jedi
Luke Ceremony
Han
Biggs Pilot
A ton of legends figures also.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Thankfully every figure at least had something new to offer, so I didn't miss any of the coins. In 2006, I skipped quite a few, but didn't mind not getting the stands. In 2008, it might be the same deal, if they do more repacks in the standard line than just in Legends.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Thankfully every figure at least had something new to offer, so I didn't miss any of the coins. Those are my feelings as well. Without the coins, I might have skipped a few, but each one seemed to have something different about it or a cool pack in to make it worth getting. Without the coins, I wouldn't have had to get the coin album, which came with one of my least favorite Vaders.

Thunderbird
11-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't have skipped any of these figures, this year or any year. The pack ins are just a bonus:yes:. The coins are just like the Freeze Frames, I knew I was going to go for a full set, and so far I'm very close:D.

I love the Legends line, I think I'm up to date with all of them, exept for the third variation of the Pit Droids, I need one to open, and a few others that I haven't seen yet.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 02:15 AM
I actually have skipped a lot of the figures. I bought the coin album, but I only have 27 coins in it, not even half full and I'm pretty much done with figures that I want this year (except for a couple of the newer McQuarrie figures).

Even of those 27, I could have skipped about half of them and not really felt like I missed anything.

jedi master sal
11-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Hmm okay let's see...these are the ones I would have passed:
01: Darth Vader & 30th Anniversary Coin Album
04: R2-D2
05: Obi-Wan Kenobi
06: Mace Windu
11: Han Solo (Smuggler)
12: Luke Skywalker (Yavin Ceremony)
14: Biggs Darklighter (Rebel Pilot)
16: Darth Vader (Sith Lord)
25: Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
30: C-3PO & Salacious Crumb (Jabba's Servants)
39: Lando Calrissian (Smuggler Outfit)
41: 4-LOM (Bounty Hunter)
46: R2-D2 (with Cargo Net)
48: Holographic Darth Vader
59: Destroyer Droid (w/ ½-Shield)

Hmm, so there is a pretty clear pattern there....mostly CORE characters. I'm just not feeling the need to buy these figures themselves and were it not for the coins, I would have passed on them.
So Hasbro geets a gold star for a marketing scheme that worked on us ol' collectors. This WILL be the last type of thing like this that I'll get every figure of. After this year, it truly will be about what the character is and not any special promotion.

Hasbro would really have to think of something to make me buy every figure in a line again.

What you ask is that? Oh I dunno say a Star Wars BUILD-A-FIGURE line...

Other than that, stands and coins won't do it.

-Sal

TheRealDubya
11-09-2007, 11:42 AM
This WILL be the last type of thing like this that I'll get every figure of. After this year, it truly will be about what the character is and not any special promotion.

Hasbro would really have to think of something to make me buy every figure in a line again.

What you ask is that? Oh I dunno say a Star Wars BUILD-A-FIGURE line...

Other than that, stands and coins won't do it.

-Sal

Amen brother. I'm pretty much O.T., unique aliens/creatures/droids or super DEFINITIVE sculpts from here on out. I'll bet I buy no more than 10-15 Star Wars figures next year. With no Vintage set and (hopefully) no Concept subset, there's not a lot pulling me in. GI Joe and Indy will get most of my spare change in '08.

Of course, I probably said the same thing last year.:pleased:

And yeah, a B-A-F would be pretty killer. A Jabba BAF would be a no brianer. What else could they do? Cane Addis would be a good candidate for that. A new Wampa maybe. That might run out of steam with Star Wars, come to think of it.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 12:28 PM
It was the drought that got me to buy so much more than I intended this year. It was all Saga2 until March, then a couple boxes of TAC Wave 1 showed up, those disappeared within a week and Saga2 came back until about July.

So when the first few TAC waves started showing up, I was just buying stuff for the novelty of having something new, not because they were figures that I really wanted.

Now that we're getting 4-5 waves all at once, I can be a little more discriminating and I find myself passing on figures that I was sure I wanted (Torture Rack Han, Smuggler Lando, etc.).

So here's my list (the figures I would have passed on are in red):
1. Darth Vader
2. Mustafar Lava Miner
3. R2 with rockets
4. Airborne Trooper
5. Super Battle Droid
6. Luke Ceremonial
7. Death Star Trooper
8. McQuarrie Boba Fett
9. Darth Vader
10. Biggs Academy Uniform
11. Stormtrooper
12. McQuarrie Chewbacca
13. M'iiyoom Oniith
14. Elis Helrot
15. Animated Boba Fett
16. Luke Jedi Knight
17. Umpass Stay
18. McQuarrie Vader
19. Hermi Odle
20. 4-LOM
21. McQuarrie Snowtrooper
22. Romba/Graak
23. Tycho
24. Spirit Hayden Christensen
25. R2 w/ Cargo Net
26. McQuarrie Luke Skywalker
27. SL Sandtrooper (ANH coin)

Sinscia Fat'o
11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
the coins were just a bonus for me, i didn't collect them all from the kenner line so the TAC was no different for me. I personally thought the TAC was the best offering of star wars figures in a very long time, and i've only passed mainly on legends figures (though i've bought a few of them as well) and a few of the core characters like the Han Solo (ANH), Vaders (All of them but concept), and R2-D2. The luke skywalker figures are great figures i thought, one came with a mositure vaporator, and the other was a far more superior sculpt than the horrid POTF2 version.

jedi master sal
11-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Amen brother. I'm pretty much O.T., unique aliens/creatures/droids or super DEFINITIVE sculpts from here on out. I'll bet I buy no more than 10-15 Star Wars figures next year. With no Vintage set and (hopefully) no Concept subset, there's not a lot pulling me in. GI Joe and Indy will get most of my spare change in '08.

Of course, I probably said the same thing last year.:pleased:

And yeah, a B-A-F would be pretty killer. A Jabba BAF would be a no brianer. What else could they do? Cane Addis would be a good candidate for that. A new Wampa maybe. That might run out of steam with Star Wars, come to think of it.

Ideas for a Build-a-figure line (which include Build-a-beasts):
• Rancor-Great for a Jabba's Palace wave-NEW ALIENS!!!
• Gorax-The giant alien from the Ewok movie. (for reference: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gorax ) Finally a figure that would warrant the purchase of figure from the Ewok movie. I know one person that would be happy to have a Teek figure...
• Terentatek-the creature from the KOTOR games-this would also serve as a secondary reason to purchase the KOTOR wave of figures! (for reference: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/50/UnknownCreature2.jpg )
• Jabba could work, especially if the dias is a part of the BAF-again another idea for not just his palace, but instead the Pod Race arena. Still plenty of Pod Racers to make and this would help them sell!
• A wampa would be cool-give us some new Rebel officers with this wave-Toryyn Farr anyone?
• Dianoga-New Han and Luke Stormtrooper, mangy Chewie, dirty Leia (and who doesn't want a dirty Leia?, lol)
• Mustafar lava flea-Some of the Seperatists that might not otherwise sell, WOULD with this set.

These are some solid ideas for getting some possibly less than desireable characters out there. Since some of these characters are considered niche, having a cool build a figure/beast does give the buyer something else to look forward to.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
• Gorax-The giant alien from the Ewok movie. (for reference: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gorax ) Finally a figure that would warrant the purchase of figure from the Ewok movie. I know one person that would be happy to have a Teek figure...
• Terentatek-the creature from the KOTOR games-this would also serve as a secondary reason to purchase the KOTOR wave of figures! (for reference: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/50/UnknownCreature2.jpg )
• Jabba could work, especially if the dias is a part of the BAF-again another idea for not just his palace, but instead the Pod Race arena. Still plenty of Pod Racers to make and this would help them sell!
• A wampa would be cool-give us some new Rebel officers with this wave-Toryyn Farr anyone?
• Dianoga-New Han and Luke Stormtrooper, mangy Chewie, dirty Leia (and who doesn't want a dirty Leia?, lol)
• Mustafar lava flea-Some of the Seperatists that might not otherwise sell, WOULD with this set.

These are some solid ideas for getting some possibly less than desireable characters out there. Since some of these characters are considered niche, having a cool build a figure/beast does give the buyer something else to look forward to.

Thats actually a really great idea for BAF promotions that Hasbro seems to have latched onto. Instead of figures or larger aliens they should do beasts, which in retrospective help them on costs and packaging for making said items anyway, and it would help collectors get items and creatures they couldn;t normally warrant making! Awesome idea.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Are you talking about something along the lines of the Marvel Comics figures that came with portions of the Sentinel figure? So by buying all the figures, you would be able to assemble on giant figure? That would be pretty cool.

Battle Droid
11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Why would anyone skip the awesomeness that is the Super Battle Droid?

I wouldn't skip any, I just wish I could find some of them.

Kidhuman
11-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Since you live close to me, come to the WM in Christiansburg and get the 20 or so they have there.

TheRealDubya
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Thats actually a really great idea for BAF promotions that Hasbro seems to have latched onto. Instead of figures or larger aliens they should do beasts, which in retrospective help them on costs and packaging for making said items anyway, and it would help collectors get items and creatures they couldn;t normally warrant making! Awesome idea.

Perfect Sal. That's exactly what I was looking for. You just laid out a whole year for Hasbro. Dianoga makes a ton of sense. Hasbro, if you're reading, this will get me buying them all.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
skipped ALL prequel figs...so it goes, if I don't care about the prequel figures, I sure as hell could care less about the ugly renditions of prequel characters on the coins! So, it was very easy for me to skip these! I fill up the gaps in my coin box with all my stormtrooper and scout trooper coins...looks BETTER that way to me :thumbsup:

I understand the want to get all the coins because they are pretty nifty however, my hatred for the prequels (which is good because it helps me save money) has turned me into an OT only collector.

one exception to a prequel character...Aayla Secura. How can anyone not like a hot chick!? :whip:

jedi master sal
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks!

And yes, the added savings for Hasbro in print costs for another item is something they should consider as well.

jedi master sal
11-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Are you talking about something along the lines of the Marvel Comics figures that came with portions of the Sentinel figure? So by buying all the figures, you would be able to assemble on giant figure? That would be pretty cool.

Yep, that's exactly the idea.

Heck, I figure if Hasbro can water down the Titanium and Galactic Heroes lines by expanding them to Marvel and Transformers, then why not do the same for the Build-A-Figure line only bring that to Star Wars!

jedi master sal
11-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Perfect Sal. That's exactly what I was looking for. You just laid out a whole year for Hasbro. Dianoga makes a ton of sense. Hasbro, if you're reading, this will get me buying them all.

Thanks, glad you liked the idea as well...

See Hasbro? There are some good ideas out there. You just need to listen take tehm to heart and act on them.

You (Hasbro) keep saying the kids are the market. yet, what you really mean to say is that they are the "target" market, but you know that collectors (adult and kid alike) are really the main consumers for the line.

Without us buying this stuff because we're getting burned out, the line will die rather quickly.

You (again Hasbro) really need to step up your game. Coins and stands just won't do it after this year.

While we are immensely glad of the background figures you haev been giving us including the McQuarrie line, if the line is to survive, you have to get a little more inventive. Build-a-figure promotions are but one way. PLAYSETS! are another. I think we deserve that now. For those of us who set out toys up, I think the overwhelming majority of us would be happy to have playsets to put them in. No longer to have boring faux wooden shelves with unattractive stepped stands. No, rather scenes from the movies that these character/toys would be in.

Run a poll, a serious poll, on Collector sites and I think you'll find that we would support these ideas. And please don't hide behind the fact that someone else is bringing up the idea. You don't have to come up with all the ideas. We fans have (many of us) been there for 30 years. I think we've got a finger on the pulse of what the movies are all about and what fellow collectors want. Not to mention kids might actually want these too. And please don't worry, I could care less about taking any credit for these ideas, (not like a certain ADAM from another site for whom a few different multipacks have been made-most of which not huge or fast sellers..)

Okay, now back on topic, which figures would you have not bought, were it not for the coins??

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2007, 06:46 PM
skipped ALL prequel figs...so it goes, if I don't care about the prequel figures, I sure as hell could care less about the ugly renditions of prequel characters on the coins! So, it was very easy for me to skip these! I fill up the gaps in my coin box with all my stormtrooper and scout trooper coins...looks BETTER that way to me :thumbsup:But, the numbers won't match!

dindae
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Aside from the first Vader that came with the book I would have picked up all of the main line. I did buy Darktrooper, Scout Trooper, and Imp. Officer to fill in the rest of the movie coins but that is really no worse than the complusion to get every stupid sandtrooper variation.