PDA

View Full Version : Death Star 2 Space Battle - what gives?

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Arguably the coolest space battle in all of Star Wars, soooo... where are the figures?

Here's what's NEEDED:
1. SA DS2 Luke - there's never been a really good version of this figure made... ever.
2. SA General Lando with soft-goods cape
3. SA Nein Nunb
4. SA Admiral Ackbar with his command chair (shouldn't be any larger than the Torture Rack that came with the TAC Han Solo)
5. Emperor Palpatine w/ throne (soft goods so he can sit and stand up)
6. SA Wedge Antilles
7. SA Green Leader (A-Wing Pilot with movie-correct helmet)
8. SA Grey Leader (Y-Wing Pilot, the Asian guy)
9. SA B-Wing Pilot (human)
10. SA Ten Nunb (with red flight suit as he looked in the movie)
11. SA X-Wing Pilot (a generic X-Wing Pilot)
12. SA Mon Calamari Officer
13. SA Admiral Piett
14. SA TIE Fighter Pilot

For the pilots, it'd be awesome to see running changes on their head sculpts similar to the Saga2 Endor Rebel Troopers. The same could be done with the Mon Calamari figures.

Vehicles:
A-Wing (a natural for the $20 pricepoint)
Y-Wing (this should be a $20 vehicle as well, it's not THAT big when disassembled)
B-Wing (I could see this one as a $25 or $30 vehicle)
TIE Interceptor (This should also be a $20 vehicle, just put it in a longer box and make sure to use the new TAC cockpit)
X-Wing (With no figures or special gimmicks, this could easily be a $25-$30 vehicle)
Millenium Falcon (I think it's time for a TRUE update of this toy from the ground up)
TIE Fighter (with big wings and the new cockpit)

Playsets (I know, these are a longshot):
Emperor's Throne Room - with Evolution Vader as a pack-in (with Sebastian Shaw likeness) and a couple of Emperor's Royal Guards
Rebel Briefing Room - with a resculpted Mon Mothma and a rerelease of the 2004 General Madine figure as pack ins.

Kidhuman
11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I would agree on all the figures, except that I dont think all should be SA. Ackbar, Pilots, Lando and all sit in vehicles, so they dont need that much articulation on them(IMO)

jedi master sal
11-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree with all of this. I keep bringing up some of the very same points from time to time on several websites. (Trying to spread the word and get more support for the ideas.)

We need playsets. We need cheaper priced ships, if Hasbro is thinking we are going to buy the same old molds all over again.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I think EVERY figure should be SA (or as SA as possible) from this point on. If they can make a crappy Spirit Hayden figure SA, then they can do it for everyone.

El Chuxter
11-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Except that a lot of the super articulation makes the figures look crappy.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Okay, let's break it down by type:

Rebel Pilots:
We got an awesome A-Wing Pilot figure this year; so that could be a good base figure for any new A-Wing, B-Wing, and ROTJ Y-Wing Pilots we get in the future. All they have to change is the chestplate, headsculpt and helmet. So that covers 7,8,9, and 10 on my list

Admiral Ackbar and the Mon Calamari officers can share pretty much all of their parts, except for the shoes.

So the cost argument really wouldn't apply to the above since Hasbro would be able to reuse large portions of each SA figure to make new figures. In the case of the A,B,Y-Wing Pilots, about 80% of the parts for those figures have already been made.

If General Lando, Nein Nunb are going to sell individually, then super-articulation is very important.

Same with Wedge Antilles, he needs to be SA which would also give Hasbro a good base figure for new SA X-Wing Pilots.

If Hasbro did resculpt Admiral Piett, I'm pretty sure we'd just get the Admiral Ozzel figure with a new head.

The Emperor needs to at least have elbow cuts and bending knees so he can sit properly on his throne.

DS2 Luke must be SA, no two-ways about it.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Except that a lot of the super articulation makes the figures look crappy.

I believe that's because Hasbro was rushing too many figures out to market this year, so they didn't get the time to properly develop each figure. Plus it doesn't seem to be a major problem in these later waves, at least not like it was for wave 2.

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 04:23 PM
If Hasbro hadn't just answered our question about DS2 Luke saying it wasn't happening soon, I would try to ask that, but they just gave ActionFigs this one 2 weeks ago:
For some reason, nearly all the Jedi Luke figures have been from Jabba's Palace with permanent vests. The only Death Star II version in recent memory is the rather unfortunate Saga figure with its rather unfortunate action gimmick, preposed body, and bizarre face sculpt. The newest Jedi Luke (TAC #25) has a cloth vest but it's not meant to be removed and the costume underneath is incomplete for Death Star II Luke. In ToyFare's Fans Choice poll, this was the only OT main character - not to mention the only version of Luke - to make the top 25 (and 3 characters who got less votes have already been made as figures now). So, do you have any plans to make a Death Star II Jedi Luke at this point? If not, why has this popular version been continuously overlooked in favor of Jabba's Palace Luke?

Good point about needing to update him….it's just that for our theming we have picked different ones. It may be a while still, but hang in there - we will get to him.

I'm quoting this from the Hasbro Q&A thread in the TAC section.

If we don't get a new DS2 Luke in 2008, what movie versions of that character are left?

For 2007, we got a Tatooine Luke, Ceremonial Luke, Bespin Luke, Dagobah Luke (pack in for the Dagobah X-Wing) and a Jabba's Palace Luke. Last year we got the Endor Luke and an X-Wing Pilot Luke. So that leaves Hoth Luke and DS2 Luke who haven't seen updates in at least 4 years.

So, will we just get a new Hoth Luke or will this end up being a Luke-free year? I don't like either of those prospects. Or maybe they can find another way to screw up another Tatooine Luke figure.

Kidhuman
11-10-2007, 08:54 PM
For 2007, we got a Tatooine Luke, Ceremonial Luke, Bespin Luke, Dagobah Luke (pack in for the Dagobah X-Wing) and a Jabba's Palace Luke. Last year we got the Endor Luke and an X-Wing Pilot Luke. So that leaves Hoth Luke and DS2 Luke who haven't seen updates in at least 4 years.

Last year we also got a Tatooine Luke.

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Last year we also got a Tatooine Luke.

And I can almost guarantee that we'll get another one next year.:upset:

JediTricks
11-11-2007, 04:13 AM
Next year we already know we have New Jedi Order Luke coming in an Evolutions pack.

As for so many Luke's this year vs next year, here's what Hasbro said on March 2 (and I had to dig HARD to find this answer as the word "Luke" appears like a million times in these Q&As):
JediDefender.com: Judging from the rumor lists and photos we've seen so far, 2007 is really shaping up like "The Year of Luke". We've seen many new Lukes with brand new sculpts and that's a great thing for collectors. Are you concerned at all that you're overloading everyone's favorite whiney farmboy into the line this year and not saving "new" versions of the character for the next few years?
Hasbro: This year does seem to be the year of Luke, which seems appropriate for the 30th Anniversary year. It wasn't deliberate, though - we just came up with a lot of good ideas for look, spaced them out, and then some events conspired (like the delay of our 2006 wave into 2007) to deliver a slightly higher concentration of Luke than originally designed. But this is a fine thing, in our opinion. Luke is the emotional heart and soul of the OTC, a hero who transformation journey is one of the greatest ever told, and its his story (linked inextricably with Darth Vader) that binds that Saga together. We do have some good ideas for future years too, but you won't see as many Lukes next year (or future years) as you will this year.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I personally think figures should be as close to SA as possiable, i think the emperor should be SA, i think General Lando and Nien Numb should be SA, and i do think the pilots should be SA as well. I'm also wondering why they have not tapped the DS2 scene as much as they could...alot of great figures left to make there, Royal Guards, Dignataries, Luke, Ackbar, Mon Mothma, and all the pilots that fly b-wings and a-wings need to be out there. Has there been a B-Wing pilot in the modern age? If there has been i'm going to be ****ed!! Great list of figures though.

As for the luke issue, he will have a Evo. and another carded version of him, more than likely Hoth, since that one is dire need of a update as well, espically after the VOTC Hoth Han we got this year.

bigbarada
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
I personally think figures should be as close to SA as possiable, i think the emperor should be SA, i think General Lando and Nien Numb should be SA, and i do think the pilots should be SA as well.

:thumbsup: Hasbro's already played the SA card, there's no putting it back in the deck now. Anything less would be a step backwards.

Has there been a B-Wing pilot in the modern age? If there has been i'm going to be ****ed!! Great list of figures though.

Ten Nunb from the Rebel Pilots 3-pack is the closest we have ever gotten.

DarkArtist
11-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I agree we need some great figures from ROTS Battle of Endor. I too am a fan of the SA format and can't wait until we finally get the best DSII Luke that alot of us wants.

My list for a great Endor wave would be:

DS II Luke
Emperor with Throne
all new sculpt SA Wedge Antilles
various Generic Rebel Pilots
SA Admiral Ackbar with Command Chair

Ships:

true to scale Millennium Falcon
Wedge's X-Wing

Playsets:

Emperor's Throne Room
Home One War Room (with holo display of Endor and DSII)