PDA

View Full Version : Long lost TV shows

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Networks like TV Land and Nickelodeon make it their job to bring back classic TV sitcoms from the past; but there are a lot of shows that I remember watching as a kid that are nowhere to be seen on TV these days (with the exception of the occasional reference in Family Guy).

So what shows do you remember watching that are completely MIA from television right now?

WKRP in Cincinatti - If you've never seen this show, you're definitely missing out.
Facts of Life - If not for Family Guy, most people wouldn't even know this show ever existed. lol
The Bob Newhart Show - a lot funnier than his follow up series, Newhart
Head of the Class - Howard Hessman's next series after WKRP, about a classroom full of genius students, also introduced Robin Givens (Mike Tyson's wife/punching bag)
Tour of Duty - CBS' attempt to make a "realistic" Vietnam drama, I loved this show, but it hasn't aged well at all
China Beach - ABC's answer to Tour of Duty, but more like a serious version of M*A*S*H set in Vietnam. Starred Dana Delaney, Marg Helgenberger (C.S.I), Michael Boatman (Spin City) and Robert Picardo (Star Trek: Voyager)
SuperCarrier - a horrible show that tried to cash in on the Top Gun craze, only with a shoestring budget, so they had to rely purely on grainy, stock footage of jets from previous wars - the overall effect was much worse than it sounds.
Amen - Sherman Hemsley's post-Jeffersons show about a shady church deacon
The Hogan Family - The show that introduced Jason Bateman
A Different World - The Cosby kid spin off show, that only really took off after they got rid of the Cosby kid.
The Flash - the show about the DC superhero, The Flash, inspired by the success of Batman, I haven't watched this in years; but I'm sure my memories are better than the actual show
Alien Nation - the sci-fi TV show inspired by the movie
Perfect Strangers - one of my favorite shows, which Family Matters was a spin-off of (the elevator attendant from Perfect Strangers spun off as the mom on Family Matters)
Too Close for Comfort - don't remember too much about this show other than the "goofy" neighbor character who came out of the closet in real life
3rd Rock from the Sun - why does nobody play this show anymore? It was one of the funniest things on TV... ever.

I'm sure I'll remember more later

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I think the only show i miss would be:

ED with Tom Cavangh. This is one of my all time favorite shows that has yet to get a DVD release, which angers me. It was fun, quirky, and always entertaining. Get on that, NBC, dammit. I wanna venture back to Stuckeyville and Stuckeybowl! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Who's the Boss - Tony Danza as a housekeeper
Gimme A Break - Nell Carter as a maid
Mr. Belvedere - the proper British butler is hired by a typical American sitcom family.
AfterM*A*S*H - the doomed-from-the-start attempt to spin off of M*A*S*H, focusing on Colonel Potter, Father Mulcahey and Klinger working in a post-war veteran's hospital.
Four Seasons - Alan Alda's failed post-M*A*S*H series.

I can't say I really love any of these shows, but I do remember wasting countless hours watching them as a kid.

There are a couple of shows that I can't remember the names of.

One was a popular family sitcom that, after a few successful seasons, had the actress who played the mother walk off the show because she wanted more money. So, they wrote her character out of the show by killing her off in a housefire. The show, of course, went downhill quickly after that.

Another family sitcom that starred Dana Delaney, I only remember seeing 3 or 4 episodes so I don't think it lasted even a single season. This was pre-China Beach for Delaney.

TeeEye7
11-10-2007, 08:19 PM
My all-time favorite TV sit-com as a kid was/is Barney Miller. A lot of the stories were based on real (wacky) cop events. I thought the cast's chemistry was perfect (a lot like Seinfeld and Friends....it's the reason such shows are so successful IMO).

Being in law enforcement for 22 years and counting, I know how real the stories are first hand, as I've now seen it myself.

Great show.

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I can't believe I forgot Barney Miller! Wojo was my favorite character.:D

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
One was a popular family sitcom that, after a few successful seasons, had the actress who played the mother walk off the show because she wanted more money. So, they wrote her character out of the show by killing her off in a housefire. The show, of course, went downhill quickly after that.

Nevermind, I figured it out. The show was originally called Valerie, starring Valerie Harper and, when she walked off the show, they killed her character and renamed the show Valerie's Family. After a season or two, it became The Hogan Family. So, I guess it didn't go downhill that quickly.

DarthQuack
11-10-2007, 09:17 PM
It's a.......Small Wonder......:) Who could forget such a classic.....You Can't Do That On Television.....still hoping for a DVD release for this.....Webster....Gary Coleman was awesome.....Perfect Strangers as well.....DVD release of it in the later winter for those who are interested ;)

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 10:15 PM
It's a.......Small Wonder......:)

I remember that show! It was horrible but I still watched it.:o

Kidhuman
11-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Alien Nation is on some channel, I recall seeing ads recently for it.

I used to love Barney Miller, one of my favorites of all time. Jack Soo kicked arse.

Small Wonder was hilarious.

A Different World was playing here on some station(local channel) for years.

Fantasy Island isnt on anymore, nor is Love Boat.

Exhaust Port
11-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Night Court: I'm not 100% if can be seen, I know I haven't come across it. The bass line in the theme song is unforgettable.

Out of this World: About a girl from another planet living with a family on Earth who was able to communicate with her dad back on the home planet through a flashing cubic pyramid. It was one about the same time as A Small Wonder and only sucked slightly less.

On PBS:

3-2-1 Contact: Man I loved watching this show after school. The science stuff was great and I always looked forward to the Adventures of the Bloodhound Gang at the end.

Square 1: Both 3-2-1 Contact and Square 1 had great theme songs. This show came along late in my PBS watching years but I still really enjoyed it. Their take off of Dragnet (Mathnet) was our family favorite.

The Voyage of the Mimi: Story of a group of kids stranded on an island after a ship wreak and how they survived. They finished each episode by cast member visiting a marine science place to learn more about the topic of the episode. I was recently shocked to find out that this was a young Ben Affleck's big break. I would love to watch an episode again just to see him in that role.

Electric Company: "Hey you guys!!!!!" I was a bit young for this show when it was on but I still watched it and was drawn to the songs, cartoons and characters they used for learning. What a great show. Another unforgettable theme song.

Rocketboy
11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
What about ALF? I was obsessed with it when it was first on.
If its on somewhere now I've yet to come across it.

UKWildcat
11-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Salute Your Shorts - Gotta love some Donkeylips.

Herman's Head - Remember watching this one back in the day, wonder what a viewing of it now would be like? (probably not good)

Are You Afraid of the Dark? - Loved this show, would like some DVD releases too.

The Head (MTV) - This was one of my favorites, was also a very short-lived cartoon. Got the VHS tape, but would kill for a DVD.

If any of these are shown sometime on some network then I'm not aware of it, but I apologize in advance.

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Out of this World: About a girl from another planet living with a family on Earth who was able to communicate with her dad back on the home planet through a flashing cubic pyramid. It was one about the same time as A Small Wonder and only sucked slightly less.

Did she have the power to stop time? I think I remember that show.

El Chuxter
11-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Herman's Head, The Flash, Night Court, Alien Nation, Small Wonder. Wow.

And let me add possibly the funniest (and dumbest) show ever: Get a Life.

Dinosaurs would also be welcome in reruns, but at least it's on DVD, unlike Chris Elliot's magnum opus.

Exhaust Port
11-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Now that you mention it, yes she did. I can't remember how she did it, if she had a device or something, but I remember time stopping.

Looking online I see she had a few powers and that she stopped time by touching her two index fingers together. Seeing the picture it totally came back to me.

http://www.retrojunk.com/img/tvshows/5892_869.jpg

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/575-out-of-this-world/

Check out the opening credits where they used footage from Buck Rogers.

Also:

The Charmings: A short lived show about a Cinderella type family living in modern times complete with a talking mirror and evil stepmother. This show really sucked but was only on for 1 season.

Square Pegs: Starring a young Sarah Jessica Parker. I remember this show trying to capture the brief "Valley Girl" subculture complete with the annoying "Valley Talk". I remember liking the show as a kid.

bigbarada
11-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Dinosaurs would also be welcome in reruns, but at least it's on DVD, unlike Chris Elliot's magnum opus.

"Not the mama!":D

Get a Life sounds familiar, what was that one about?

bigbarada
11-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Now that you mention it, yes she did. I can't remember how she did it, if she had a device or something, but I remember time stopping.

Looking online I see she had a few powers and that she stopped time by touching her two index fingers together. Seeing the picture it totally came back to me.

http://www.retrojunk.com/img/tvshows/5892_869.jpg

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/575-out-of-this-world/

Check out the opening credits where they used footage from Buck Rogers.

Yep, she would stop time by touching the tips of her fingers together, then restarting by touching her palms together. She could also bring others into her "frozen time" by touching them with her hand.

I remember watching the show in high school and just envisioning all the horribly inappropriate things you could do with that power in real life.:lipsrsealed:

DarthQuack
11-11-2007, 01:08 AM

Chick turned out to be really hot too...

Lord Malakite
11-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Square 1: Both 3-2-1 Contact and Square 1 had great theme songs. This show came along late in my PBS watching years but I still really enjoyed it. Their take off of Dragnet (Mathnet) was our family favorite.
I prefered the pac-man rip-off "Math-Man" from that show myself, especially when the the Tornado ate his sorry, uneducated *** for answering basic math questions wrong. :D It also didn't hurt that Weird Al made an exclusive polka music video "Patterns" for one of their episodes.:p

El Chuxter
11-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Get a Life starred Chris Elliott as 30-year old paperboy Chris Peterson, who lived with his parents (at least in the first season; in season 2, he moved in with Brian Doyle-Murray). It was completely and totally absurd, even by Fox's standards in the early 90s. And it was hilarious.

bigbarada
11-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Get a Life starred Chris Elliott as 30-year old paperboy Chris Peterson, who lived with his parents (at least in the first season; in season 2, he moved in with Brian Doyle-Murray). It was completely and totally absurd, even by Fox's standards in the early 90s. And it was hilarious.

I looked it up and it aired while I was stationed in Germany(1991-93) so that's why I never heard of it.

Also, the Dana Delaney show that I couldn't remember the name of was called Sweet Surrender. It didn't last long.

Did anyone watch the short-lived Max Headroom TV show?

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2007, 02:59 AM
WKRP in Cincinatti - If you've never seen this show, you're definitely missing out.Definitely a classic. Loved the music over the end credits. A great ensemble cast. Loni Anderson was the big sex symbol, but I thought the woman that played Bailey was pretty good looking as well.

Facts of Life - If not for Family Guy, most people wouldn't even know this show ever existed. lolA bit of a spinoff from Different Strokes, so I was quite aware of it, though I didn't watch it as often. Another show that was either a spinoff or had a crossover episode with Different Strokes was a short lived series starring McLean Stevenson called Hello Larry.

The Bob Newhart Show - a lot funnier than his follow up series, NewhartHave only seen this a few times, as it was before my time and never really saw it in reruns. I was a regular watcher of the Newhart show at the inn. I like Bob's style of humor.

Head of the Class - Howard Hessman's next series after WKRP, about a classroom full of genius students, also introduced Robin Givens (Mike Tyson's wife/punching bag)I enjoyed this one, but I lost interest after the second season when much of the cast changed I think.

The Hogan Family - The show that introduced Jason BatemanActually, I think I first saw him on a short lived show called It's Your Move. There was one episode in particular that I remember where he and a friend had created an imaginary band called The Dregs of Humanity. They dressed up a skeleton and controlled it like a puppet to do an interview. It was talking about how they reveled in the rock and roll lifestyle by stating, "We are the Dregs!" However, they hyped the band up so much they got booked to perform a show at the school I think. Somehow they managed to pull it off with some master puppetry skill, prerecorded tapes and smoke machines.

A Different World - The Cosby kid spin off show, that only really took off after they got rid of the Cosby kid.I enjoyed this for a while. Jasmine Guy was quite attractive.

Perfect Strangers - one of my favorite shows, which Family Matters was a spin-off of (the elevator attendant from Perfect Strangers spun off as the mom on Family Matters)Now we do the Dance of Joy!

Too Close for Comfort - don't remember too much about this show other than the "goofy" neighbor character who came out of the closet in real lifeYeah, that guy was rather annoying, but Ted Knight was classic

3rd Rock from the Sun - why does nobody play this show anymore? It was one of the funniest things on TV... ever.I really liked this at first, but then kind of lost interest. Maybe it was on the same time as something else. Still, a very funny show with some interesting characters and at least a couple SNL alums (Jan Hooks and Jane Curtin).

My all-time favorite TV sit-com as a kid was/is Barney Miller. I watched this some, mostly in reruns. The interesting thing about this show was that sometimes the opening credits didn't appear until about 10 minutes into the show because the cold opening went so long.

What about ALF? I was obsessed with it when it was first on.
If its on somewhere now I've yet to come across it.ALF was a real hoot. Another one I think I lost track of near the end of its run. Coincidentally, there was a ag/shop teacher at our school named Mr. Shumway. I wonder if he was related to ALF.

Herman's Head [/B]- Remember watching this one back in the day, wonder what a viewing of it now would be like? (probably not good)One of the early Fox network shows. I recall my college roommate and I watching this. It had Yeardley Smith (the voice of Lisa Simpson), so that was both cool and kind of odd to see her in a show. And of course one of the earliest Fox shows was the one that first gave us a glimpse of the Simpsons - The Tracey Ullman Show. She was a wacky but talented lady. I recently bought her song "They Don't Know" from iTunes.

It's a.......Small Wonder......:) Who could forget such a classic.....You Can't Do That On Television.....still hoping for a DVD release for this.....Webster....Gary Coleman was awesome.....Perfect Strangers as well.....DVD release of it in the later winter for those who are interested ;)WhatchootalkinboutWillis? Emmanuel Lewis was Webster, Gary Coleman was Arnold from Different Strokes.

Dinosaurs would also be welcome in reruns, but at least it's on DVD, unlike Chris Elliot's magnum opus.Dinosaurs, another one my college roommate and I watched, but I kind of grew tired of it quickly. The baby said "Gotta Love Me", but I'd rather say something like "Gotta slap him upside the head a few times." Maybe it's shows like this that make me think that a show like Cavemen isn't such a bad idea (I still haven't watched that yet, though).

There are so many shows that I watched over the years that it might be interesting to see again. For something funny, you can't go wrong with The Carol Burnett Show. All of the crazy characters she did, the Mama's family sketch, Tim Conway as the old man, and Harvey Korman struggling to keep a straight face during the sketches.

Since a lot of these shows were from around the late 70's early 80's when Different Strokes and WKRP were on, one show from that period popped into my mind. It wasn't necessarily a favorite, but I think it was a decent show. The White Shadow was about a white former NBA player who ends up coaching at a mostly black inner city school.

JediTricks
11-11-2007, 05:04 AM
Parker Lewis Can't Lose - ripoff of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but better than the Ferris Bueller TV show because it was a little looser and cuter, better cast too.

Ferris Bueller - weak spinoff of the movie, retitled since it was no longer his day off.

227 - Marla Gibbs' foray after The Jeffersons, actually pretty funny at times.

Alice - There's a new girl in town... so kiss my grits, Mel!

Woops! - best sitcom about a nuclear apocalypse ever.

Punky Brewster - if you have to ask, you just don't know.

Automan - Desi Arnaz Jr and special effects ripping off Tron, what could possibly go wrong?

Viper - canceled twice, returned twice with major casting shake-ups. It was a non-talking supercar show.

Top of the Heap - 1 of 2 spinoffs from Married with Children (and the only one to actually survive the episode pilot), featuring a lower-class father and son scumbags, they were characters actually seeded into MWC occasionally well before the spinoff (and returned after once). Vinnie Verducci, the son and star played by "Joey" Matt LeBlanc, had to put up with an underage nymphette neighbor played by Joey Lauren Adams, and everything else was too bad to mention.

Benson - a spinoff of Soap where Robert Giullaume is first the governor's butler and then the lieutenant governor. Most people forget that this show lasted as long as it did.

My Secret Identity - Teenaged Jerry O'Connell gets super powers from his scientist neighbor's experiment, together they use his powers to fight crime... sorta.

Charles in Charge - somehow, slightly a spin-off of Happy Days since it had several characters with the same first names played by the same actors despite being set 25 years later. Charles eventually ended up with a second, less awful family with sexier kids to watch even though it was the same house and he had graduated college long since... creepy!

Bosom Buddies - take Three's Company and turn it into a tranny joke over and over, and you have the vehicle that finally launched Tom Hanks' career out of the early '80s doldrums.

It's Garry Shandling's Show - totally broke the mold for sitcoms, right down to the theme song.

Time Trax - cop from the future goes back in time to catch and send back futurecrooks with only a keychain fob weapon and a holographic nagging librarian-type woman. I watched a lot of crap as a kid.

Empty Nest - Old guy in Florida has his 2 adult daughters move back in with him. A wacky neighbor ensues played by Joe Isuzu.

Police Squad - IN COLOR! Way ahead of its time, yet if they hadn't put it on just after the '70s crime shows, it wouldn't have made sense.

And one that shouldn't have fallen so far off the radar...

SLEDGE HAMMER! - Gun-toting, accident-prone, ultra-violent cop is an over-the-top parody of Dirty Harry.

With some sleep, I'd probably be able to come up with even more... I better not sleep. :p

So what shows do you remember watching that are completely MIA from television right now?Everything on your first post list except Supercarrier, Alien Nation, Tour of Duty, and China Beach. The odd ones in that list I don't remember, the even ones I just didn't care for that much. It'll actually be easier for me to just comment on the shows I don't remember from here on out, mostly. :p

Dwayne Wayne rules.

Too Close for Comfort - don't remember too much about this show other than the "goofy" neighbor character who came out of the closet in real lifeTed Knight - a cartoonist - and his wife live in half of a duplex, their sexy blonde daughter and slightly more plain brunette daughter live in the other half of the duplex, a narrow house in San Francisco with Jm J Bullock as wacky friend who always comes over and annoys the dad.

The Flash ain't that bad, it's a pretty entertaining show I think, it's held up better than John Wesley Shipp, who's gotten a little too old and paunchy to play anything but old dudes now. (And yes, I didn't have to look up his name because I'm a megadork. :p)

Who's the Boss - Tony Danza as a housekeeper
Gimme A Break - Nell Carter as a maid
Mr. Belvedere - the proper British butler is hired by a typical American sitcom family.
AfterM*A*S*H - the doomed-from-the-start attempt to spin off of M*A*S*H, focusing on Colonel Potter, Father Mulcahey and Klinger working in a post-war veteran's hospital.
Four Seasons - Alan Alda's failed post-M*A*S*H series.

I can't say I really love any of these shows, but I do remember wasting countless hours watching them as a kid.I don't remember Four Seasons, but I do remember the others. AfterMASH was too much of a melodrama and just kinda sad to see happen. I kinda liked Gimme a Break, and I quite liked Mr Belvedere - Bob Uecker is hilarious.

Nevermind, I figured it out. The show was originally called Valerie, starring Valerie Harper and, when she walked off the show, they killed her character and renamed the show Valerie's Family. After a season or two, it became The Hogan Family. So, I guess it didn't go downhill that quickly.Sadly, I the megadork knew that one and was about to comment on the irony of you mentioning The Hogan Family in your opening salvo but forgetting that it's the show you were asking about.

I remember that show! It was horrible but I still watched it.:oYou and me both, pal. It got especially sad in the last season when VICKI outgrew her cuteness and they let her get all tweener and more human.

Out of this World: About a girl from another planet living with a family on Earth who was able to communicate with her dad back on the home planet through a flashing cubic pyramid. It was one about the same time as A Small Wonder and only sucked slightly less.No way, it sucked a lot less! It was I Dream of Jeannie/Bewitched with a newer twist and no jerkbag master/husband.

Herman's Head - Remember watching this one back in the day, wonder what a viewing of it now would be like? (probably not good)I really liked this show actually, I thought it was clever and had a solid cast. Yeardly Smith got actual face-time after seeing her career take off as Lisa Simpson.

The Head (MTV) - This was one of my favorites, was also a very short-lived cartoon. Got the VHS tape, but would kill for a DVD.Yeah buddy! My sister and I still quote a line from one of the eps, "you be careful" in the most flat monotone ever.

Did she have the power to stop time? I think I remember that show.I believe that was one of 'em, her thing was putting her fingers together IIRC. The mayor of her town was a family friend and a washed up ham actor. ... which someone posted right after I saw your post, perfect. :p

The Charmings: A short lived show about a Cinderella type family living in modern times complete with a talking mirror and evil stepmother. This show really sucked but was only on for 1 season.This rings the faintest of bells, I was going to say I didn't remember it at all but it's ever so slightly back there now, I think.

Square Pegs: Starring a young Sarah Jessica Parker. I remember this show trying to capture the brief "Valley Girl" subculture complete with the annoying "Valley Talk". I remember liking the show as a kid.I never actually watched that one, but folks occasionally have brought it up to the point where it now stands out a little in my mind.

Get a Life is wildly overrated.

Also, the Dana Delaney show that I couldn't remember the name of was called Sweet Surrender. It didn't last long.

Did anyone watch the short-lived Max Headroom TV show?Wow, never heard of that first one.

Loved Max Headroom when it was on, the only thing I never really felt was the typewriters as computer keyboards.

Points to MSP for that Gary Coleman/Webster catch!

Blue2th
11-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I really liked Viper at the time. Of course Knight Rider the original high-tech car show was a hit.
Somebody mentioned Buck Rogers earlier. That was one of my favorites. Though if you see it today, some parts and characters are really cheesy, like Hawkman.

Rocketboy
11-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I thought of this one late last night (and a bit surprised nobody mentioned it yet):
MST3K.
Someone needs to start replaying this now!

El Chuxter
11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
JT, I do have to ask: are you referring to the live-action Punky Brewster, where her friend kept getting trapped in a refrigerator, or the cartoon, where she was buddies with the b****** son of an Ewok and Snarf (and a million times more annoying)?

Ditto to the max on MST3K.

bigbarada
11-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't remember Four Seasons,

Four Seasons was a shameless Alan Alda vehicle. I remember it being a 1-hour comedy/drama, but large portions of the show featured Alda just sitting and talking to the audience directly either about the plot or just his insights on life in general. It was as entertaining as it sounds.:rolleyes:

Sweet Surrender was just about a working mom who decides to become a stay at home mom and dedicate her life to raising her children.

Others I remember:
Twin Peaks - I only watched a couple of episodes, but I remember it being this huge phenomenon.
Trapper John, M.D. - Pernell Roberts (Adam from Bonanza) takes on the "modern" role of Trapper John McIntyre from the early seasons of M*A*S*H. If never overtly referenced M*A*S*H except a minor reference to Trapper serving in the Korean War in one of the early episodes.
21 Jumpstreet - the hip teenage cop show on FOX in the early nineties, might have been the show that introduced Johnny Depp to the world.
Amazing Stories - Steven Speilberg's kid-friendly version of Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, I loved this show as a kid and it holds up amazingly well today.
Northern Exposure - A New York doctor finds himself forced to work in a remote Alaskan town. Great series!
Newsradio - Why this show didn't last longer than it did is beyond me, it was full of talent and totally ahead of it's time. I might have just answered my own question.
In Living Color - Responsible for giving the world Jim Carrey and the Wayans brothers.
The Maxx - since someone mentioned "The Head" earlier, I loved this series as well. Almost a frame by frame animated adaption of the comic book.
My So-Called Life - another great show that was completely ahead of it's time.
The Critic - the first attempt to spin off of the success of the Simpsons. About a movie critic that hates every movie he sees.
Family Dog - a cartoon that actually started as an episode of Amazing Stories. Only lasted like one or two episodes in the mid-80s. It would be tame by Family Guy and Simpson standards now, but it was a little too "sophisticated" of humor for a primetime cartoon at the time. At least from what I remember.
Space: Above and Beyond - an over-hyped sci-fi show that bombed horribly.
Wonder Years - I'm completely baffled as to why no networks are rerunning this show; yet they rerun That 70's Show.
Quantum Leap - The future Captain of the Starship Enterprise travels through time and rights wrongs.
Kids in the Hall - Can't believe I forgot about this show!
Murphy Brown - Another big series that I'm surprised isn't being rerun somewhere.
Coach - someone might have already mentioned this one. Loved this show!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Benson - a spinoff of Soap where Robert Giullaume is first the governor's butler and then the lieutenant governor. Most people forget that this show lasted as long as it did.I never really watched Soap, but I did watch that one. That's why I knew who Odo was when DS9 came around.

It's Garry Shandling's Show - totally broke the mold for sitcoms, right down to the theme song. Does that qualify as a sitcom? It was sort of a sketch show, but not quite. I don't remember well enough. More like the whole show was one sketch. Loved the theme though.

Empty Nest - Old guy in Florida has his 2 adult daughters move back in with him. A wacky neighbor ensues played by Joe Isuzu.They brought back those Joe Izuzu ads a few years back. Those were funny. I had a crush on Kristy McNichol when I was about 10, which was several years before this show.

Police Squad - IN COLOR! Way ahead of its time, yet if they hadn't put it on just after the '70s crime shows, it wouldn't have made sense.I was a bit too young to get this when it was on. I recall my brother liking it, but it didn't last long. I do remember one line from one of the shows. Someone said, "No sax before the fight."

DarthQuack
11-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Bring back Double Dare.....and not that DD 2000 crap, bring it all back, including Marc Summers.

Rebo's_Guitarist
11-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Guts - Mike OMalley and the Agrocrag.....and the obnoxious chick in the referee shirt

Hey Dude - A lot like Salute Your Shorts but on a dude ranch

Im trying to think of one, there was a kid named Chip, and the only episode I can remember was that Chip faked his own death with the old " knife in between your arm and torso" trick, and covered himself in catsup......

OC47150
11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
My buddies and I get together every month or so to watch cheesy movies or old TV shows. We've done Sledge Hammer and Ultraman marathons!!

Mad Slanted, I do remember the Dregs of Humanity!!! Always thought that's such a great name for a band!!

When Phil Hartman died, Newsradio died. It never was the same after he was gone.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Mad Slanted, I do remember the Dregs of Humanity!!! Always thought that's such a great name for a band!!Parts of that episode are on Youtube. Also, I found a band on the internet called Hopeless Dregs of Humanity.

Kidhuman
11-11-2007, 10:45 PM
21 Jumpstreet - the hip teenage cop show on FOX in the early nineties, might have been the show that introduced Johnny Depp to the world.

Not really all that good in syndicate.

Amazing Stories - Steven Speilberg's kid-friendly version of Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, I loved this show as a kid and it holds up amazingly well today.

Very good show,

Northern Exposure - A New York doctor finds himself forced to work in a remote Alaskan town. Great series!

Was on a few years back, would watch it at 3am on WB in NYC.

Newsradio - Why this show didn't last longer than it did is beyond me, it was full of talent and totally ahead of it's time. I might have just answered my own question.

This sow went downhill after Phil Hartman died. Jon Luvitz couldnt take his place and it wasnt nearly as funny

In Living Color - Responsible for giving the world Jim Carrey and the Wayans brothers.

B.E.T has reruns of this sow

The Critic - the first attempt to spin off of the success of the Simpsons. About a movie critic that hates every movie he sees.

One of my favorite cartoons.

Wonder Years - I'm completely baffled as to why no networks are rerunning this show; yet they rerun That 70's Show.

This sow is on somewhere or was recently, I recall watching it within the last year somewhere

Quantum Leap - The future Captain of the Starship Enterprise travels through time and rights wrongs.

Was on Sci-Fi for awhile and USA I do believe

Comedy Central used to play it between 2-3 pm, no more though

Coach - someone might have already mentioned this one. Loved this show!

I actually watched this 3 days ago. It was on at 4:30 am somewhere. Woke up and it was on. Dobber kills me.

UKWildcat
11-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Dobber kills me.

M-O-O-N, that spells moon. Oh wait....
I had no idea he did the voice of Patrick on Spongebob Squarepaints. :sur:

Did anyone else watch American Gladiators back in the day?

Lord Malakite
11-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Did anyone else watch American Gladiators back in the day?
I did. and soon we'll be able to do so again. NBC already has plans on revivng the show in the near future, possibly even as a replacement show if the writer's strike continues for some time.

Kidhuman
11-12-2007, 06:47 AM
ESPN Classic shows the old American Gladiator Sows now.

bigbarada
11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
I forgot about Phil Hartman's death being a major factor in Newsradio going down. I just remember getting back from Korea and the show was nowhere to be seen and it just seemed strange to me. Not many shows can survive the unexpected death of one of their primary actors, just look at 8 Simple Rules. They never should have tried to keep that show going after John Ritter died.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I thought of this one late last night (and a bit surprised nobody mentioned it yet):
MST3K.
Someone needs to start replaying this now!

they release them on DVD in random sets, but I don't get why they don't start releasing them by season. They only had about 13-15 episodes per season and granted, each episode is about 95 minutes, they could still fit a few episodes per disc. The price would be a big big, but they could do like season 1 vol 1 and have each season have 2 volumes. I'd buy them up INSTANTLY. But I digress.

However, there is still Rifftrax with Mike Nelson and he usually has MST3K folks to help him make fun of movies (for those who don't know, Rifftrax are an mp3 file of Mike and folks making fun of movies, new and old. you download the file for a few bucks off their site and watch the film/mp3 at the same time!). and joel just announced he's startnig something called "Cinematic Titanic" with the original MST3K cast: Elvis Weinstein, Trace Beaulieu, Mary Jo Pehl and so on (I guess Kevin Murphy is busy?) come together to make fun of movies. They're doing a live performance on December 7th and it'll be on DVD the following week! Head here: http://www.cinematictitanic.com/ for more info!!

Comedy Central used to play it between 2-3 pm, no more though

I was really bummed when they stopped doing this, but last winter, I got all 5 seasons at DD with a buy 1 get 1 free sale so it was dirt cheap. I just started watching season four, which is their lowest point in the series, but it's still better than 98% of the "comedy crap" on TV. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
they release them on DVD in random sets, but I don't get why they don't start releasing them by season. They only had about 13-15 episodes per season and granted, each episode is about 95 minutes, they could still fit a few episodes per disc. The price would be a big big, but they could do like season 1 vol 1 and have each season have 2 volumes. I'd buy them up INSTANTLY. But I digress. The sets they have now are far too expensive, IMO. I think they're like $40-60 for like 3 or 4 episodes.

Vi Cit Tecum
11-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Here are some I remember

Hardcastle and Mccormack: I think it was 2 cops 1 had a sports car coyoteX.

Scarecrow and MRS King: A secret agent and housewife team up to fight crime.

Tales of the Gold Monkey: A take off of Indiana jones

New Universe: I think that was the name about a family that gets transported to another universe in the pyramids.

Sable: short lived tv series based on the First comic.

Simon and Simon: private investigator brothers in San Diego

Riptide: a group of private investigators that lived on a boat.

Stingray: A man that wondered around the country helping people(A-team) in his stingray(I think it eluded that he was a govt agent.

Sonny Spoon: Mario van Peebles wandering around helping people (A-team)

Misssion Impossible: The second series that came out in the late 80's

Ji'dai
11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
I wanted to be Stingray when I grew up, what a great show. I loved that '63 Corvette Stingray he drove around in. Awesome car.

I watched Newsradio from time to time, but I miss Phil Hartman's voice work on The Simpsons most of all.

A young orphaned boy partners with a time-travelling rogue in Voyagers! Similar in premise to Quantum Leap, the Voyagers travel through time correcting problems using a small handheld device about the size of a pocket watch. I've always loved history so these time-travel programs have always been a favorite.

I remember coming in to get a drink after playing outside one evening and saw this fascinating program about an alien invasion fleet arriving on Earth on the TV. I was torn between going back out to play and staying inside to watch this great show, simply called V, but I ended up going back out. I came in an hour later and picked it up from that point. Didn't realize at the time that this was the first part of what would become a two-part mini-series, and an extremely well-done one for a made-for-TV production. Although I still watched it every week, the weekly series it spawned was pretty mediocre.

mabudonicus
11-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I actually had a Hardcastle and McCormick avatar a few years back on this very site- the show was ridiculous- Hardcastle was a judge doing his last trial, and McCormick was the rough-arse guy he had to convict- somehow McCormick wasn't truly "guilty" but the facts were against him (I think someone "fixed" the deal somehows)

Anyways, Hardcastle sentences McCormick to some time under supervised house arrest and TAKES CUSTODY of him to occupy his retirement- thing is, there's a hitch- Hardcastle (as the name so subtly implies) was a real hard-arse and some of his convictions wouldn't stick due to interference by criminal/money elements. By taking in the maverick McCormick and his AWESOME car (which drives sideways burning rubber most of the time, to crappy metal music) he can take a shot at getting these guys behind bars (or 6 feet under) without all the pesky machinations of the legal system...

All in all quite the stretched premise, but it had its moments.

My buddy just bought all of "Voyagers", but it's too much like a Disney movie of the week to truly enjoy (I bring it up cos it was another show wherre the main guy accidentally killed himself ON the damn SET thus ending the shows run probably a few episodes before it was probably going to be cancelled)

Sledge Hammer was freakin great, my fave part being when they series was thought to be due for cancellation and the plot had the whole town destroyed by Sledge's inability to defuse a Nuke- the show got renewed after that bit was filmed and the next season starts with a weak "This all heppened 5 years before that nuclear explosion" (which worked real well the way that show was done) "YOU'RE with the police department?!?!?!?" Sledge -"No no no- I AM the police department"

I liked Max Headroom too BTW, fine program for what it was

Project BlueBook scared the CRAP out of me

Oh and Gerry Andersons UFO is pretty damn cool, my buddy got a "best of" (13 of the original 26 eps) recently and we've enjoyed it for what it is

:beard: Iso & Baws
there really were some good shows back in the day

EDIT -FREAKY that Ji'Dai MUST have been typing "voyagers" while I was slowly getting through my post, just weird coincidence!!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Scarecrow and MRS King: A secret agent and housewife team up to fight crime.Good show. I liked Kate Jackson in that one.

Tales of the Gold Monkey: A take off of Indiana jonesI remember watching that one. Didn't last very long though.

Simon and Simon: private investigator brothers in San DiegoI watched that one regularly. They did some crossover episodes with Magnum P.I.

Riptide: a group of private investigators that lived on a boat.I can't remember how much I watched this. There were a bunch of helicopter shows on then. Airwolf was the one I watched the most.

OC47150
11-13-2007, 08:34 PM
But it's the car from Hardcastle and McCormick everyone remembers. It was a Coyote kit car, I believe. Candy apple red with a white racing stripe.

H&M is coming out on DVD, too.

Stingray had a cool premise. Again, I liked the car: '65 Vette Stingray. It's coming out on DVD in early '08.

I remember watching the last episode of Sable.

And if I remember correctly, when Mission Impossible had its revival in the late 80s, it was during the writers' strike. Old scripts were used and updated. Just wasn't the same as the original. Season 3 comes out on DVD next week.

Tenspeed and Brownshoe. There's a blast from the past for you! A young Jeff Goldblum.

When Fox first came on the air, they did a lot of odd shows. A weekly TV series based on the Dirty Dozen and a sitcome called the Adventures of Beans Baxter, a junior high-aged spy.

Exhaust Port
11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Tales of the Gold Monkey: A take off of Indiana jones

Oh man, I loved this show. I remember that he was an ex-Flying Tigers pilot who turned adventurer/explorer/etc. after the war(?) and flew around in a Grumman Goose with his sidekid Corky (I believe that was the name). It was just like Indiana Jones but with more airplanes which I just loved. My dad even made me and my brother wooden Grumman Goose airplanes to play with. Awesome. How could I have forgotten about that show! Thanks for bring back those memories.

Kidhuman
11-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Moonlighting, kicked off Bruce Willis' career

bigbarada
11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Moonlighting, kicked off Bruce Willis' career

I forgot about that show. I remember that Die Hard was such a shocking departure for Willis, just because he was only known for comedy work before that. Now pretty much everything he does is deathly serious.

The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. - I only watched a few episodes on AFN (Armed Forces Network) while I was stationed in Germany, so I don't know what network it was on. This was in fall of 1993 and it was most likely FOX given the nature of the show, a comedy/western. The show only sticks out in my mind because we had a Sergeant Briscoe assigned to our unit shortly after the show premiered.

I used to watch Voyagers all the time. A couple of episodes that really stick out in my mind, one where they help Thomas Edison invent the light bulb and another where they get stuck on the Titanic, but not so they can stop the ship from sinking since that was "supposed to happen."

JediTricks
11-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Seaquest DSV - I really liked this show at the time, the first 2 seasons anyway, seeing reruns though is sobering as it doesn't hold up very well, especially the later eps where they used the Video Toaster for fx and it looked terrible.

TekWar - A continuation of the TV movies, kinda interesting if a little sloppy.

Earth: Final Conflict - this ran a while, was pretty solid until the last season when it totally fell apart. They should have kept the Teylons as the main aliens.

Mutant X - Avi Arad's attempt to cash in on the X-men movie franchise without paying any royalties to Marvel. Not that good, but I watched the whole thing anyway. :p

Jack of all Trades - 1 of the 2 shows created to replace Hercules after it ended (the other was the nigh-unwatchable Cleopatra 2525 which did at least have the dignity to wrap up its plotlines by advancing the plot along rapidly), Bruce Campbell as an American spy in the 18th century on a British-held tropical island. Cute but repetitive.

I really liked Viper at the time. Of course Knight Rider the original high-tech car show was a hit.Almost any show with an awesome car has a special place in my heart: Knight Rider, Viper, Dukes of Hazzard, Batman, Herbie the Love Bug (really the movie, not the show), Inspector Gadget (his vehicle transformed from van to car), even the van from The A-Team.

Somebody mentioned Buck Rogers earlier. That was one of my favorites. Though if you see it today, some parts and characters are really cheesy, like Hawkman.SOME parts?!? :p The whole thing is pure cheese - except for Colonel Wilma Deering, that's f'ing timeless. The last season with the Hawkman guy and the blatant retread to pick up the Battlestar pieces was unbearable IMO, but the first season worked alright.

MST3K.
Someone needs to start replaying this now!Heavy licensing issues prevent it, apparently. But check out this article: http://www.starwars.com/community/news/rocks/f20071109/index.html

JT, I do have to ask: are you referring to the live-action Punky Brewster, where her friend kept getting trapped in a refrigerator, or the cartoon, where she was buddies with the b****** son of an Ewok and Snarf (and a million times more annoying)?If I was referring to the short-lived cartoon, I would have called it "It's Punky Brewster" which fans apparently use to distinguish it from the live-action series.

Four Seasons was a shameless Alan Alda vehicle. I remember it being a 1-hour comedy/drama, but large portions of the show featured Alda just sitting and talking to the audience directly either about the plot or just his insights on life in general. It was as entertaining as it sounds.:rolleyes:Sounds too highbrow for TV, that's for sure.

Sweet Surrender was just about a working mom who decides to become a stay at home mom and dedicate her life to raising her children.So, Mister Mom without the "mister"? ;)

Twin Peaks - I only watched a couple of episodes, but I remember it being this huge phenomenon.I watched the whole thing, very interesting and fun to wrap up in, but after we found out who killed Laura Palmer it wasn't as good, David Lynch got sloppy. The movie was the final death knoll, just not all that good and too many casting switches.

Trapper John, M.D. - Pernell Roberts (Adam from Bonanza) takes on the "modern" role of Trapper John McIntyre from the early seasons of M*A*S*H. If never overtly referenced M*A*S*H except a minor reference to Trapper serving in the Korean War in one of the early episodes.I only watched a couple of these as a kid and never understood why this was an old guy as Trapper (I was into MASH). I only found out recently that the courts decided they were allowed to do this show because it was a spinoff of the book, not the show.

21 Jumpstreet - the hip teenage cop show on FOX in the early nineties, might have been the show that introduced Johnny Depp to the world.Absolutely was the show that did that. Introduced us to Richard Grieco too, but we threw him back. ;) My high school health class teacher was the Varsity football coach, he looked like a mid-30s linebacker type but he was a total pothead and drove a POS Honda CVCC, he'd play us entire episodes of Jump Street for health class 2 or 3 times a week. Even though it was TV in school, I still didn't pay attention! :D

Northern Exposure - A New York doctor finds himself forced to work in a remote Alaskan town. Great series!I didn't discover this until reruns on A&E, very cute until they got the main characters together, then it fell apart way fast.

Newsradio - Why this show didn't last longer than it did is beyond me, it was full of talent and totally ahead of it's time. I might have just answered my own question.This one was a true tragedy, it didn't go longer because Phil Hartman's wife killed him in between seasons 4 and 5, and they brought in Jon Lovitz to fill the void which TOTALLY didn't work. One of my favorite ensemble sitcoms of all time too, there wasn't 1 castmember I didn't think was note-perfect until they brought in Lovitz and his different brand of comedy soured the milk.

The Maxx - since someone mentioned "The Head" earlier, I loved this series as well. Almost a frame by frame animated adaption of the comic book.Damn, I absolutely intended to include that one in my previous post too. "JUUUULIE!"

Space: Above and Beyond - an over-hyped sci-fi show that bombed horribly.It was alright, and it didn't bomb horribly since it ran a whole 22 episodes... on FOX! Space Marines on the learn made for good action/sci-fi for a while, the tone fit the new BSG, it just wasn't as well-made or well-written.

Quantum Leap - The future Captain of the Starship Enterprise travels through time and rights wrongs.I loved Quantum Leap, but his final leap should have been to keep Scott Bakula from taking that job on "Enterprise" - totally miscast! I hated that series finale of QL too, way too vague and cutesy.

Kids in the Hall - Can't believe I forgot about this show!It's awesome, it's only been out of reruns for a few months though.

I never really watched Soap, but I did watch that one. That's why I knew who Odo was when DS9 came around.I watched Soap on and off at the time, it was alright for that era, wouldn't work now though since soap operas aren't as popular and thus not good for parody fodder. Yeah, I also recognized Rene Auberjonois from that role. :D

Does that qualify as a sitcom? It was sort of a sketch show, but not quite. I don't remember well enough. More like the whole show was one sketch. Loved the theme though.It was his life, that was the whole situation, it absolutely was a sitcom in that respect. It's just that Shandling didn't even take his own life seriously and would often break the 4th wall. :D

They brought back those Joe Izuzu ads a few years back. Those were funny. I had a crush on Kristy McNichol when I was about 10, which was several years before this show.Yeah, the return of Joe Isuzu was noteworthy, even if he was noticeably older. :p Kristy McNichol was very popular with kids and teens in the '70s, I never saw it because I was more a kid of the '80s.

I was a bit too young to get this when it was on. I recall my brother liking it, but it didn't last long. What, 6 episodes isn't long? ;) ABC is so stupid, they can the show and it goes on to make 2 incredibly popular films (and a 3rd one that sucked eggs).

Bring back Double Dare.....and not that DD 2000 crap, bring it all back, including Marc Summers.I'll second that! No Family Double Dare either, just kids humiliating themselves for cash and prizes. Marc Summers will need a bottle of Grecian Formula though.

Did anyone else watch American Gladiators back in the day?I did, only the first couple of... seasons.

I forgot about Phil Hartman's death being a major factor in Newsradio going down. I just remember getting back from Korea and the show was nowhere to be seen and it just seemed strange to me. Not many shows can survive the unexpected death of one of their primary actors, just look at 8 Simple Rules. They never should have tried to keep that show going after John Ritter died.I think Newsradio was more of an ensemble and could have pulled out of that nosedive if they had either gotten someone who fit better with the group and wasn't so overwhelming a presence, or simply left the part unplayed altogether (Catherine read news too after all).

Hardcastle and Mccormack: I think it was 2 cops 1 had a sports car coyoteX.Hardcastle's a retired fat judge out to bust all the crooks who got through his court on technicalities, and McCormick is the race car driver who does all his dirty work. I hate to say it, but this was one of the few car shows that didn't work for me, the Coyote X just was too obviously a kit car which meant it looked flashy but was really a shell over a VW Beetle with Porsche parts.

Scarecrow and MRS King: A secret agent and housewife team up to fight crime.Is that what that show was about? I watched a handful of eps as a kid but never quiiiite got it.

Tales of the Gold Monkey: A take off of Indiana jonesI liked this show, but it was more taken from the movie Angels with Dirty Wings.

Simon and Simon: private investigator brothers in San DiegoIs that what that show was about? Another one I watched a little of and didn't really get. They had the same name but were very different.

Riptide: a group of private investigators that lived on a boat.

Stingray: A man that wondered around the country helping people(A-team) in his stingray(I think it eluded that he was a govt agent.

Sonny Spoon: Mario van Peebles wandering around helping people (A-team)Wow, you found 3 shows I don't remember at all!

Misssion Impossible: The second series that came out in the late 80'sI loved this as a kid, I even watched this on a vacation to San Francisco!

A young orphaned boy partners with a time-travelling rogue in Voyagers! Similar in premise to Quantum Leap, the Voyagers travel through time correcting problems using a small handheld device about the size of a pocket watch. I've always loved history so these time-travel programs have always been a favorite.Oh man, I totally remember that now, they had a pocketwatch type device to get them through time!

My buddy just bought all of "Voyagers", but it's too much like a Disney movie of the week to truly enjoy (I bring it up cos it was another show wherre the main guy accidentally killed himself ON the damn SET thus ending the shows run probably a few episodes before it was probably going to be cancelled)Yeah, it did seem like a Disney movie of the week, that fits well.

There were a bunch of helicopter shows on then. Airwolf was the one I watched the most.Always wanted to like it, I like Ernest Borgnine and I like supercars even when they're helicopters, but they're barely in the chopper most of the ep and Jan Michael Vincent just wasn't that interesting.

But it's the car from Hardcastle and McCormick everyone remembers. It was a Coyote kit car, I believe. Candy apple red with a white racing stripe.Yeah, the show was supplementary to the car, it was a Manta Montage kit.

And if I remember correctly, when Mission Impossible had its revival in the late 80s, it was during the writers' strike. Old scripts were used and updated. Just wasn't the same as the original. Season 3 comes out on DVD next week.Just the first couple eps, the rest of the series was original and they actually had a main character killed and disavowed in one ep. There was no season 3 of the remake though, do you mean the original's?

The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. - I only watched a few episodes on AFN (Armed Forces Network) while I was stationed in Germany, so I don't know what network it was on. This was in fall of 1993 and it was most likely FOX given the nature of the show, a comedy/western. The show only sticks out in my mind because we had a Sergeant Briscoe assigned to our unit shortly after the show premiered.It was Fox, and it was Western/Comedy/Sci-Fi. Great show, can't go wrong with Bruce Campbell... well, except for the one I listed above.

DarthQuack
11-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Earth 2 anyone?

El Chuxter
11-14-2007, 01:33 AM
JT, Sam's last leap should've been to avoid that last episode. What was the deal there? He convinced Al's wife to not have him declared dead, and they're happy in the future. Only, uh, two seasons earlier, he'd saved Al's first love, and Al said that none of the other women "ever happened"? At what point was the final episode POS shot, right after the second episode?

Marc Summers can still be seen. He's quite the w-h-rhymeswith"oar" on Food Network.

DarthQuack
11-14-2007, 01:35 AM
He's on the show Unwrapped, kind of like what I'll do with Slick's mom when I get her for Xmas.

JediTricks
11-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Earth 2 anyone?No, I'm sorry, I gave that show WAY too many chances and it came up short EVERY time. Very dismal and dingy and wrapped up in weird alien psychic stuff. (Plus, the hot actress on the show ended up totaling the family SUV a few years later on her way to a hearing to get back her license after killing a small boy with her car. And she got her license anyway!)

El Chuxter
11-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Is she back on the road?

Should we look out?

:p

Mad Slanted Powers
11-14-2007, 02:14 AM
No, I'm sorry, I gave that show WAY too many chances and it came up short EVERY time. Very dismal and dingy and wrapped up in weird alien psychic stuff. (Plus, the hot actress on the show ended up totaling the family SUV a few years later on her way to a hearing to get back her license after killing a small boy with her car. And she got her license anyway!)She was on a show last year, Vanished. I knew I recognized the name Rebecca Gayheart from someplace, but had to look it up at the time. I watched Earth 2. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it. I think it made it a whole season, but they ended it unresolved.

Wiki confirms what I remember about Garry Shandling's show. He had monologues and interacted with the audience a lot, but they also describe much as you did, a sitcom where he was a comedian who realized he was in a sitcom. There is also a reference to Tom Petty being on the show, and I think I remember him performing "The Waiting" on there. I recall my mom thinking it sounded horrible, and while I like that song and a lot of his music, I too thought he sounded kind of bad.

Some shows that I enjoyed that lasted a whole season, but were left on a cliffhanger.

John Doe - Dominic Purcell, now on Prison Break, was a guy who woke up naked on an island near Seattle. He doesn't know who he is, but he seems to know everything else. I think Kyle XY stole this idea but made him a teenager instead. He in Seattle as well.

The Fugitive - This was the new version staring Tim Daly. It ended with a confrontation between him and Kimble and Gerard.

The Visitor - John Corbett as a man abducted by aliens 50 years ago, and has returned to help Earth. Actually, this one was only on half a season I think.

Nowhere Man - Bruce Greenwood as a photographer who suddenly finds that his life has been taken away from him. His wife doesn't recognize him, no one knows who he is, and all traces of his existence appear to have been eliminated, possible due to a photo he took.

I was just looking Nowhere Man on wiki and noticed that Joel Surnow, creator of 24, was one of the writers. Someone seems to have had some fun with his wiki page as it begins "Joel Surnow is an American far-right conservative moron, with little political knowledge or common sense".

Regarding Quantum Leap, I was also a little disappointed with the end of that show. I was expecting a 90 minute or 2 hour finale, but it was just an hour and left me feeling kind of sad for Sam.

Exhaust Port
11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Space Rangers: I remember being in college and trying to watch this piece of junk. I'm a sucker for any future space tv show but this one was trying WAY too hard. They seemed to have ripped off from every other popular movie/tv show up to that point. There were a lot of similarities between the show and the movie Aliens. Here's the summary from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Rangers_(TV_series)

An Earth colony on the distant planet of Avalon, in the year 2104, called Fort Hope struggles to survive. A small force of police/marines called the "Space Rangers Corps." are the first, last and only line of defense for the colonists against crime and the perils of interstellar exploration. The series concentrates on Captain John Boone and his team of Rangers aboard Ranger Slingship #377.

Wow, throw in Sigorney Weaver and you'd have Aliens II. Only 6 episodes but they couldn't have canceled it fast enough IMHO.

vader68
11-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned "BJ AND THE BEAR" with Greg Evegan, or the spinoff from this, "SHERIFF LOBO" with Claude Akins

Battle Droid
11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Goosebumps (It's on Cartoon Network now, but I hear they're taking it off.)
Promised Land
MacGyver
Lost (When's it coming back?)
Land of the Lost (Both versions)

Mad Slanted Powers
11-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned "BJ AND THE BEAR" with Greg Evegan, or the spinoff from this, "SHERIFF LOBO" with Claude Akins
Ah, yes. I watched both of those. BJ and the Bear kind of capitalized on the Smokey and the Bandit and CB craze. I was just looking it up and the pilot was a couple months before Any Which Way But Loose, another movie with a primate co-star. The following year CBS would have Dukes of Hazzard, another show with car chases and inept law enforcement.

JediTricks
11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
She was on a show last year, Vanished. I knew I recognized the name Rebecca Gayheart from someplace, but had to look it up at the time. I watched Earth 2. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it. I think it made it a whole season, but they ended it unresolved.I watched that whole season too, the last 4 eps or so were unbearable when they started hopping around through time and the sick son got all psychic and stuff.

John Doe - Dominic Purcell, now on Prison Break, was a guy who woke up naked on an island near Seattle. He doesn't know who he is, but he seems to know everything else. I think Kyle XY stole this idea but made him a teenager instead. He in Seattle as well.I really liked John Doe, was disappointed when they canned it at the end. They gave away the secret when it was confirmed dead, check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doe_%28TV_series%29#Who_is_John_Doe.3F

Regarding Quantum Leap, I was also a little disappointed with the end of that show. I was expecting a 90 minute or 2 hour finale, but it was just an hour and left me feeling kind of sad for Sam.I also didn't like that it was overly ethereal in nature and had nothing in the way of Sam & Al, and that Sam was the one controlling the leaps without knowing it. There was just so much note-wrong about that ep.

BTW, a few things The Dukes had that BJ & The Bear didn't:
- no monkey.
- no Greg Evigan.
- no slow-*** truck.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I watched that whole season too, the last 4 eps or so were unbearable when they started hopping around through time and the sick son got all psychic and stuff.I don't recall that. Were those the episodes that they showed online? I tried to watch them but I think I couldn't because I was on a Mac.

I really liked John Doe, was disappointed when they canned it at the end. They gave away the secret when it was confirmed dead, check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doe_%28TV_series%29#Who_is_John_Doe.3FI recall reading that in EW. I think I pointed this out in the Jericho thread, but Sprague Grayden's character was killed off in John Doe and Joan of Arcadia, and we thought she was dead on Jericho. That's another show I liked, Joan of Arcadia. It and Wonderfalls were on back to back (at least for the four episodes that Wonderfalls lasted on air), but on different networks. Both had a similar concept.

I also didn't like that it was overly ethereal in nature and had nothing in the way of Sam & Al, and that Sam was the one controlling the leaps without knowing it. There was just so much note-wrong about that ep.In retrospect, I didn't hate the idea so much. It was sort of like him realizing that he was doing what he was meant to do. At first I thought it was a sad ending that he was stuck leaping and never came home. Then I thought that maybe he was becoming like an angel or something, going where he was needed to make sure things happened the way they were supposed to.

General_Grievous
11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I BTW, a few things The Dukes had that BJ & The Bear didn't:
- no monkey.

How is that a good thing? Monkeys make everything better.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-15-2007, 12:16 AM
It wasn't a monkey, it was a chimpanzee!

El Chuxter
11-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Monkeys do not make everything better. Bears, ketchup, and/or Jubilee cameos do.

Besides, it already had a bear and a BJ. :eek:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-15-2007, 03:05 AM
That just adds to the confusion. The bear was the chimp, yet they were trying to avoid bear (smokey, a.k.a. police).

JediTricks
11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't recall that. Were those the episodes that they showed online? I tried to watch them but I think I couldn't because I was on a Mac.I think they aired them mid-summer or only on Sci Fi Channel or something, but we had to wait for a while to see them and then they weren't that rewarding.

In retrospect, I didn't hate the idea so much. It was sort of like him realizing that he was doing what he was meant to do. At first I thought it was a sad ending that he was stuck leaping and never came home. Then I thought that maybe he was becoming like an angel or something, going where he was needed to make sure things happened the way they were supposed to.The idea wasn't even meant to be a series finale, originally it was a season finale and then when the show was canned, they retooled it to leave it open for a movie (which fell through several times). I always thought if it was Sam's destiny to leap forever, he should be allowed to able to go home and get back in the machine when he wants. The whole thing just felt very wrong, they got way too esoteric with the bar characters Sam already knew and stuff. Even thinking about it now makes me a little steamed.

How is that a good thing? Monkeys make everything better.They make everything worse.

TeeEye7
11-16-2007, 01:39 AM
Besides, it already had a bear and a BJ. :eek:

BJ only came for the nachos.

....or was it when there were nachos.

Vi Cit Tecum
11-16-2007, 11:25 AM
It's nice to know they gave away the secret on JOHN DOE. I liked the series, watched it when I could. But reading the summary about the phoenix corps made me remember a show called the Phoenix the lead character was an alien ( I think) the opening sequence showed the desert. thats about all I remember but I liked it as a kid.

Kindred: the embraced based on white wolfs role playing game, the show was like Godfather but with vampires it was a mid season replacemnt that never made it. lots of hot women on it though.

El Chuxter
11-16-2007, 07:28 PM
In light of Toon Disney airing old Pinky and the Brain episodes, here are a few gems from the same folks:

Tiny Toon Adventures: Everything about this show told me it was crap. It premiered about the time that "really bad knockoff shows featuring younger versions of old cartoon characters" were popular, which was more than enough for me.

And then, one day, I watched an episode (thankfully when it was still fairly new, so I got to see a lot of episodes in the original airings). This show was funny. It's one I just can't pick a favorite moment of, whether it's Bigbutt or the whole Star Wars parody episode or anything relating to Gogo Dodo or the funny lines they hid in the end credits.

Without Tiny Toons, our next show (and, consequently, P&TB) would never have existed. And, yet, it's not in reruns, or on DVD. Sad.

Animaniacs: I love this show, but honestly don't think it's as good overall as Tiny Toons. Elements of it are better, and the humor is consistently goofier and more "adult." But there were entire segments that always dragged, like Les Miseranimals, or ones that never lived up to the zaniness inherent in their premise, like Goodpigeons.

Nonetheless, this is easily one of the funniest, best produced shows of all time. If you don't agree, take it up with Princess Angelina Contessa Louisa Francesca Banana Fanna Bo Besca the Third.

Freakazoid: This was probably the epitome of craziness in the Spielberg-produced WB toons of the time. It's not the best of that bunch, but it's still easily among the best shows of all time. I don't care if it's a ripoff of Madman or not. Anything that can make me laugh as hard as Henry Kissinger communicating with Air Traffic Control to land a planeful of villains is okay in my book.

And, since it's a cartoon, although not by the same folks, Muppet Babies: Another that technically shouldn't be funny, but it was. The goofy imagination stuff totally made the show, although I can easily see why this would be holding up any DVD releases or re-runs.

Hopefully the studios can get off their high-horses and reach a deal at some point over this show. They approved all the footage at one time, so what's the problem now? Why not work out some sort of royalty payments? And are sales of the Indiana Jones movies going to plummet because Kermit imagines footage from it? Of course not. Just let us enjoy it, dammit.

Same thing with Beavis and Butt-Head. Without the music videos, this show is practically nothing. Throw in a lot of pointless edits by Mike Judge on the DVD release, and it's worse. They're not the same shows we saw ten or so years ago, and they don't have the running commentary on the videos. Why bother?

Mad Slanted Powers
11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Tiny Toon Adventures: Everything about this show told me it was crap. It premiered about the time that "really bad knockoff shows featuring younger versions of old cartoon characters" were popular, which was more than enough for me.I'm not sure if it was this show or not, but I even recall a Monty Python reference. A character said, "he turned me into a prince", followed by, "I got better."

Speaking of Monty Python's Flying Circus, I recall seeing it in the TV Guide back in the 70's and not knowing what it was. Based on the title and the fact that it was on PBS, I thought it was some lame kids show, perhaps actually having some sort of circus in it.

mabudonicus
11-17-2007, 10:23 AM
The Phoenix

MAN I loved that show- that blonde dude with the suit, in the first ep he stumbles into that town and sees a kid at a corner store playing the video game Phoenix (which gave the entire project IMMENSE gravitas to my 8 year old mind)

I can't remember much about it but the theme song is still pretty fresh

Wizards and Warriors I liked a LOT too, with the "cartoon" bookends
Most of the best show barely got a single episode

Mad Slanted Powers
11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Did anyone here watch Bizarre? This was a sketch comedy show hosted by John Byner. Bob Einstein was a producer, and also appeared on the show as Super Dave Osborne. He would also come out and interrupt sketches from time to time. It aired on Showtime, but we watched it on Canadian TV where they censored out the language and nudity.

DarthQuack
11-19-2007, 11:19 PM
TV Funhouse.....I loved this on Comedy Central when it was on.....although only 8 episodes long....

Exhaust Port
11-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Eerie, PA: The story of a couple kids and the odd town they lived in. Kind of a cross between The Twilight Zone and Amazing Stories. I liked this show.

mabudonicus
11-21-2007, 10:01 AM
This thread made me remember The Powers of Matthew Starr with Lou Gosset jr. in it. Crummy show (not as bad as misfits of science in certain regards) but I was ADDICTED to it while it was on- I think it was the first time I noticed a show having a REAL short run
I liked the B-man on Misfits

Tonysmo
11-27-2007, 02:25 AM
Did anyone here watch Bizarre? This was a sketch comedy show hosted by John Byner. Bob Einstein was a producer, and also appeared on the show as Super Dave Osborne. He would also come out and interrupt sketches from time to time. It aired on Showtime, but we watched it on Canadian TV where they censored out the language and nudity.

I loved that show. one of the 1st shows I got to watch where I was introduced to boobage. It was hella funny too.

Anyone remember make me laugh? A gameshow where they had 3 comics who had 30 secs to ... make you laugh.

Hil - larious.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-27-2007, 02:35 AM
I loved that show. one of the 1st shows I got to watch where I was introduced to boobage. It was hella funny too.

Anyone remember make me laugh? A gameshow where they had 3 comics who had 30 secs to ... make you laugh.

Hil - larious.I recall seeing that at least once. However I think I got the named mixed up with Laugh-In. I was too young to see that when it was new, but when I first saw the reruns, I think I was expecting Make Me Laugh.

General_Grievous
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Did anyone here ever watch Undeclared? It was a short-lived college show from Judd Apatow. I'm thinking of buying the DVD set but I'd like some input from you guys if any of you have seen it.

UKWildcat
11-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Undeclared was a pretty good show, not as good as Freaks and Geeks though. I haven't seen an episode since it aired but my brother has the DVD set which I plan to watch at some point. It is definitely worth a look if you are a fan of Apatow, which I believe you are. :)

General_Grievous
11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
It is definitely worth a look if you are a fan of Apatow, which I believe you are. :)

Well, that's good news. Yes, I am a fan of Apatow. I've seen every episode of Freaks and Geeks (though I don't have the DVD set unfortunately), and I think that "40 Year Old Virgin", "Knocked Up" and "Superbad" are some of the greatest comedies ever...so yeah, I'm kind of a fan. ;)

Kidhuman
11-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Undeclared was a great sow, it lasted less than 1 season before FOX canceled anohter good show

Rocketboy
11-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Speaking of long-lost great shows which were slaughtered by Fox before it could finish a first season: Firefly.

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Or, for that matter, The Lone Gunmen, which I actually found more entertaining than The X-Files it spun off from.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Yes, Lone Gunmen was pretty good, and had some good humor to it. Firefly was a great show too. On the same night on the same network was John Doe. I think I already mentioned that one in this thread. They cancel Firefly midseason and replace move Fastlane in its place, and then cancel John Doe on a season ending cliffhanger. Way to go Fox!

El Chuxter
11-28-2007, 02:42 AM
While we're on shows prematurely cancelled by Fox, I'll bring up The Tick. Not quite as funny as the animated version, but still quite enjoyable. Puddy was the perfect live-action Tick.

Also Greg the Bunny. This has found a sort of second life on cable, parodying feature films, but it's not 1/10th as funny as the short-lived series.

And I may as well bring up (again) Get a Life, Futurama, and Arrested Development. AD is still the funniest show of the past decade, and those idiots at Fox are probably still proud of cancelling it for some reality crap like My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad.

Tonysmo
11-28-2007, 02:46 AM
While we're on shows prematurely cancelled by Fox, I'll bring up The Tick. Not quite as funny as the animated version, but still quite enjoyable. Puddy was the perfect live-action Tick.

And I may as well bring up (again) Get a Life, Futurama, and Arrested Development. AD is still the funniest show of the past decade, and those idiots at Fox are probably still proud of cancelling it for some reality crap like My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad.

I totally agree that AD was the funniest comedy in a long time. Kinda reminds me of a very updated and refreshing version of SOAP.

I do miss the Tick as well. Puddy was a dead on pick for that part.

Batmanuel was hilarious.

"I saved her twice.. if you know what I mean.. "

on a side note..

anyone catch Carrie Fisher on 30Rock?

Fey is funny.. ....... ... and Id hit it.

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Speaking of long-lost great shows which were slaughtered by Fox before it could finish a first season: Firefly.Yes, absolutely! Fox totally blew it with their treatment of this series.

Or, for that matter, The Lone Gunmen, which I actually found more entertaining than The X-Files it spun off from.Totally agree, and I hated how the X-files dealt with wrapping up that series.

Lone Gunmen was way better than Millennium which had crossover with X-files as well, Millennium was alright but too much of a downer.

Yes, Lone Gunmen was pretty good, and had some good humor to it. Firefly was a great show too. On the same night on the same network was John Doe. I think I already mentioned that one in this thread. They cancel Firefly midseason and replace move Fastlane in its place, and then cancel John Doe on a season ending cliffhanger. Way to go Fox!John Doe was good, I can't imagine why they pulled the plug there.

Also Greg the Bunny. This has found a sort of second life on cable, parodying feature films, but it's not 1/10th as funny as the short-lived series.

And I may as well bring up (again) Get a Life, Futurama, and Arrested Development. AD is still the funniest show of the past decade, and those idiots at Fox are probably still proud of cancelling it for some reality crap like My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad.Greg the Bunny was awesome, most creative show they had done in years. The Tick I thought was a little too labored.

AD was among the best half-hour comedies of all time.

There was another Fox show I liked that they canned prematurely, but I can't seem to pull it out of my brain right now.

Exhaust Port
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Cop Rock? ;)

vader121
11-30-2007, 01:46 PM
The list ...
Hardcastle & McCormick
Riptide
Tour of Duty (loved this show)
China Beach
Black Sheep (loved this show)
Airwolf
V
Live action Spiderman, Wonder Woman, & Hulk
Dr. Who
F Troop
Gunsmoke
The Rifleman
Hill Street Blues
Alf
Starsky & Hutch
Magnum PI
Ocean Quest - Does anybody remember this?

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Cop Rock? ;)That was ABC!!! ... uh, I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

Vi Cit Tecum
11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Fallguy

TJ Hooker

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Fallguy

TJ HookerBetween them, we have the Six Million Dollar Man, Captain Kirk, and two hot Heathers.

Kidhuman
11-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Some of the shows listed here can be sen on the Sleuth channel. It has Magnum PI, Simon and Simon, Miami Vice and various others.

Coach is on USA at 6am EST also.

Exhaust Port
11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
That was ABC!!! ... uh, I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

Guilty!!

What was the show on about the same time that was a cartoon about dogs. It was suppose to be an "adult" show, not aimed at kids.

JediTricks
12-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Fallguy

TJ Hooker
What, saying "ABC" opened the floodgates there? :D

mabudonicus
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
The FaLL Guy wasn't lost, it is just now cmoing out on DVD- I HOPE the full 5 seasons get released as only season one is available now, and the last time it was airing in the 90's they only rotated seasons 1 and 2 leaving 100+ episodes unseen since the 80's

The Mod Squad and Room 222 were both AWESOME shows.

The Beachcombers, Rainbow Country both awesome.

An The Littlest Hobo was a GREAT show in many ways- good for kids but also a kind of funny "who's who" of Canadian celebrities of the time. The intense cheapness of the production added a LOt to the charm of the show- it looked llike it was 40 years old when it was originally aired, so the dated effect doesn't hurt it at all.

Oh and has nayone mentioned Masquerade?? I REALLY liked the show (it was on almost opposite Riptide I do believe) and the theme song and all but don't recall it at ALL now.

Well I never spent much time in school, but I've taught ladies plenty

Mad Slanted Powers
12-01-2007, 02:13 PM
The Mod Squad and Room 222 were both AWESOME shows.

The Beachcombers, Rainbow Country both awesome.

An The Littlest Hobo was a GREAT show in many ways- good for kids but also a kind of funny "who's who" of Canadian celebrities of the time. The intense cheapness of the production added a LOt to the charm of the show- it looked llike it was 40 years old when it was originally aired, so the dated effect doesn't hurt it at all.
Living close to Canada, I watched a lot of Canadian TV when I was younger. I recall watching the Beachcombers, but I don't remember too much. Littlest Hobo was a great show. Loved that dog. I seem to recall seeing the show go by a different name on cable after it was cancelled, but maybe I'm thinking of another dog show. In fact i was. Katts & Dog was a Canadian show that was called Rin Tin Tin K9 Cop down here, but I watched the Katts & Dog version.