PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, any other Wii owners pick this up today?!? I had mine pre-ordered at TRU, which was smart as they sold out this morning. Target seemed to have some copies too, but they were starting to run low as well.

I got my free coin too, which was nifty. I'm probably going to wait until the weekend to play it as I have some work to take care of that'll be a great motivational tool.

It's getting insanely superb reviews though. :thumbsup: So, let's chat about it, Wii gamers!!!! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow. I was initially planning to wait for the inevitable price drop, then saw TRU had a $25 giftcard with the purchase (making it essentially $25). But if they sold out this morning, I'll save the drive and wait until next fall to get it after all. No game is worth fifty junior cheeseburgers. Unless it's Kung Fu for the NES.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow. I was initially planning to wait for the inevitable price drop, then saw TRU had a $25 giftcard with the purchase (making it essentially $25). But if they sold out this morning, I'll save the drive and wait until next fall to get it after all. No game is worth fifty junior cheeseburgers. Unless it's Kung Fu for the NES.

Well, i got the gift card too, but you can use it on the NEXT purchase, not the current one. :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Picked this up as well on my way to work....still on a Super Mario Strikers kick as we speak....but I have the next two days off so I may give it a whirl....the $25 gift card I may just give as an x-mas gift.

El Chuxter
11-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, whether it is $25 off depends on whether you immediately get in line and use it to buy $25 worth of toys you were planning to buy anyway. :)

preacher
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I definitely plan on getting this. Right now I'm in the middle of Metroid Corruption and working on Guitar Hero III.

The game looks phenomenal so I'm anxious to play it. Paper Mario was an excellent game. So Galaxy is bound to please.

figrin bran
11-14-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm going to wait it out but I'll get this eventually.

Those of you who have the game, how do you like it so far?

DarthQuack
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Rosalina is hot.....gets my vote over Peach. :love:

DarthQuack
11-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Played through most of the first galaxy....awesome game....controls are pretty easy to get used to.

preacher
12-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I bought Mario Galaxy a couple days after its release and took advantage of the Toys R Us deal. And I just started playing it over the weekend. Guitar Hero III has me stumped. I cannot get past the Slayer song to save my life.

Mario Galaxy is just amazing. Better than Mario 64 in almost every conceivable way in my opinion. And Mario 64 kicked all sorts of ***. The thing I appreciate most is how each stage in a galaxy is like a mini-game, Kinda like Rayman Raving Rabbids, although I hesitate to even make the comparison for fear it will turn folks off.

The use of the wiimote does not feel gimicy either. Mario Sunshine felt that way. The control is fully integrated in clever ways.

I gotta tell you I played nonstop for about 4 hours on Saturday and then off and on Sunday and yesterday. Its very accessible. My only complaint is the camera gimps out every once and awhile. Not nearly as bad as Mario 64 was in some spots but still a real pain.

I remember when the demo for Mario 128 showed 128 Marios running around a sphere. Galaxy is clearly what they had in mind as an end result and the payoff is big.

DarthQuack
12-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I played this today for about an hour...up to 78-80 stars....was really getting annoyed with one board....I just kept cursing up a storm....and still didn't get by the board!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-07-2007, 11:16 PM
I just got my 29th star and I have my first gripe about this game: the camera work in the swimming levels can be such a pain in the keister. The actual controls for swimming are a bit odd at first and take some time getting used to, but the camera wasn't helping matters.

Had my first fight with Bowser last night which was a trip. It still cracks me how much freakin' bigger he is than Mario and it was really cool to watch the cinema as they stared each other down. :whip:

I'll have much more time to play once finals are done next week and I finish grading and turn in grades for my minions. I'm lookin' forward to my winter break purely because of this. lol :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
12-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Finished the main part of the game this morning....I just love the graphics in this game in the cut scenes....it's awesome.....Just need to work on a few more stars....14 left I think.

Vortex
12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Yea this game does rock, but I'm showing my age. My reflexes aren't as good as they once were and I don't know how many mario's I smoked on that stupid sweets word from the obervatory. Those moving floors with the cut outs...some of those levels just play with my mind and I find myself leaning one way or another in hopes of getting of a better view of what around the corner.

I haven't had much time to really get far into it since I've been living on the Lego Star Wars Collection. But it is a sweet game.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Yea this game does rock, but I'm showing my age. My reflexes aren't as good as they once were and I don't know how many mario's I smoked on that stupid sweets word from the obervatory. Those moving floors with the cut outs...some of those levels just play with my mind and I find myself leaning one way or another in hopes of getting of a better view of what around the corner.

I haven't had much time to really get far into it since I've been living on the Lego Star Wars Collection. But it is a sweet game.

Don't feel too bad Vortex: that level gave me helluva time. Not nearly as bad as the level where you have to race using the ray's; that was a PAIN. The ghost platforms in the Ghost Galaxy are kind of a pain too, but i'll let you get to that one. :thumbsup:

Vortex
12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh that crappy race'in ray's level was nuts.

preacher
12-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Yep. The Sweets galaxy was a pain. My ten year old said and I quote "holy S**t" when she saw the cuts out get worse and worse. Normally I would scold her, but I really didn't have the heart. The other galaxy that was really trip for me was the cube with the pieces that dissolve. Not too difficult, but it kind of made me dizzy.

Vortex
12-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Kids, gotta love'em.

I bought Carnival Games last night...what an addicting game that is. Its pretty easy, but its addicting.

preacher
12-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I must admit the Carnival game looks interesting. I'm worried its going to be too much like Wii Play. Not that I didn't like Wii Play - the simplicity of the game is what makes it cool. Its just I don't want basically the same game.

Where I live Carnival Games has sold out everywhere. So apparently there are a lot of people that feel the same way you do. Is it different enough that I wouldn't gag at paying 40 bucks for it?

BTW Another game that has gotten a lot of interest around my parts is the new Trauma Center game. Havn't tried it yet and probably won't get a chance for awhile. My backlog of incomplete games is pretty high - latest aquisition was resident evil chronicles. That game has surprised me. I expected to like it, but not like it as much as I do.

Vortex
12-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Its to a small extent like Wii Play, which does have its moments, but it has about 25 games or so to it with unlockable harder levels...which at times aren't that hard. And some are down right insane and require dumb luck like most carny games. Alley ball or skee-ball is fun, but once you learn where to stand and where to angle your shot and the speed necessary you can hit 100's all day long.

It requires a dart motion to throw things, overhand throws, underhand, frisbee style, golf putting and to shake it like a pop can, and use it like gun to shoot the ducks and shoot out the star.

When you get 4 people going it can get crazy. And the controls take into account the wrist angle, power, and speed.

Its similar but few steps beyond Wii Play.

I hear ya bout unfinished games...Call of Duty, Super Paper Mario I'm on level 8 but don't want to finish it, Metal Slug, Lego Star Wars, Simpsons, Mortal Kombat, Mario party 8...yea I know the feeling. I start down loading old school games and boom, I don't finish the games. I can't even list all the Game Cube games I never finished.

El Chuxter
12-14-2007, 01:36 AM
I got Carnival for my wife a couple of months ago. It's pretty fun, but could be better. For instance, there's not much customization to the four characters in the game (you can't use Miis), so everyone pretty much looks alike. Some of the games are really cool, and some, well, I just can't care enough to get good at them.

I may be in a minority, but I still think WiiPlay is one of the best games I've played. I can play that all day.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey guys, we have a thread in this forum that talks about everything Wii. Quack and I even posted our online friend codes, so feel free to share!!

Heading back to SMG, I have found my first serious PAIN IN THE *** level: the comet daredevil in the Ghost Galaxy: facing that rock creature with ONE HIT OF LIFE!!!?!!??!?!!!!? I've been so damned close many times, but I just had to walk away. That's my mission while i'm snowed in today: taking care of that SOBS! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
12-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I have found my first serious PAIN IN THE *** level: the comet daredevil in the Ghost Galaxy: facing that rock creature with ONE HIT OF LIFE!!!?!!??!?!!!!? I've been so damned close many times, but I just had to walk away. That's my mission while i'm snowed in today: taking care of that SOBS! :thumbsup:

Have fun with that.....took me plenty of times cursing out my Wii.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Have fun with that.....took me plenty of times cursing out my Wii.

After a few hours, many curse words, and much patience, I finally beat him to a rocky pulp. That was SUCH A PAIN IN THE ARSE.

Seriously. :whip:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I finally found time to play for a bit tonight after not having much time in the last week. I'm up to fifty stars, so i'm almost done with the regular portion of the game. I got Zelda for christmas, so i'm going to break from SMG and veg in Hyrule for a bit.

And there is a HYSTERICAL review of SMG on the Escapist site. Just google: Zero Punctuation Super Mario Galaxy; it should be the first site. I can't link it for obvious reasons, but it's really funny. enjoy! :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I got Zelda for christmas, so i'm going to break from SMG and veg in Hyrule for a bit.
I take it you mean Twilight Princess. I have two copies of that game now. The first copy I got was the Wii edition for last Christmas (which I haven't ever played due to the lack of owning said system yet). I other copy I got was the GameCube edition which was for this Christmas. :D

preacher
01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok, I beat Bowser. But imagine my surprise when I found out that even though I have gathered nearly all the stars in each galaxy (except green stars, and a couple of cosmic comet challenge stars), there are still another 59 needed to unlock something else. So now I'm going back to pick up some of the stars I missed the second time, gather the remaining green stars, and take the purple comet challenge for each level and hope that adds up to 59. Even though I kicked Bowser's arse, I'm not even close to really beating this game.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Preacher- Yaeh, I believe it takes 120 stars to get the full ending.

and quick question for those who have beaten the game: does it give you the option to keep on going for the rest of the stars or do you an ending and then an option or? I'm about to get the first batch of stars, but I don't want to mess up and quit the game when I want to get the other 60 stars. Any help would be great. :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
From what I remember reading initially 60 stars and you could have an ending, but the full ending could come with 120? Maybe?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I got 60 stars and the Princess asked if i wanted to head to the center of the universe and I declined for the moment. I decided to check out the deal on those green stars I collected and what they were about. Bad. Idea.

Those levels are a PAIN IN THE A--. They contain the things that frustrated me most about the game: controlling stuff with the wiimote with balancing on a ball, surfing on a ray and so forth. I had to turn it off as I was gettin' really ****ed off. ah! :upset:

preacher
01-21-2008, 06:25 PM
You can go to the center of the universe, kick Bowser's butt, roll through the credits. Afterward you will return to the comet and the blue lady will welcome you back and reveal that you have more stars to get. I assume this unlocks another set of galaxy.

I got all three Green Stars as well. I agree those levels are nasty. The bubble and the ball levels are not too bad, but the ray race really sucks this time.

BTW after you roll through credits and save and return to the comet thats when the purple comet is unlocked. The hardest purple comet challenge so far has been Freezeflame galaxy. Its the level where you transform into Ice Mario and have to defeat the big ice dude at the top of the mountain. However, it turns out that isn't the top of the mountain, the real summit is accessible but its a b**ch to get to and there 18 purple coins along the mountain pass.

Still having fun, but the game has become noticably more difficult.

preacher
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Four years later....My little girl has re-introduced me to Mario galaxy. Last time I had 54 stars remaining. Then the wii died and I lost my data. So my daughter and I are playing through it (newer wii) The game still stands out as one of the greats. I forgotten what a trip it was. Now I'm down to 33 stars and playing through the galaxies in the garden observatory. There are a lot of things I simply don't remember doing, so it's pretty much like playing the game again for the first time. Lungi purple coin maze is really making me mad!