PDA

View Full Version : Battle Front 2 Droid Pack SUCKS

DarkJedi5
11-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Got this set and was horribly disappointed. I mean, all the droids lack articulation and the destroyer droid is assembled backwards. Is there anyone doing quality control on these things or do they just slap these in a box laughing at all the suckers who will buy them? The clones set came out much better but the droids are simply of the worst battle droid figures Hasbro has made to date. Pass if you haven't already.

Kidhuman
11-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this

jedi master sal
11-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Got this set and was horribly disappointed. I mean, all the droids lack articulation and the destroyer droid is assembled backwards. Is there anyone doing quality control on these things or do they just slap these in a box laughing at all the suckers who will buy them? The clones set came out much better but the droids are simply of the worst battle droid figures Hasbro has made to date. Pass if you haven't already.

Thanks DJ5. I kinda figured this pack would suck. This is one time I'm sticking to my guns and waiting to get a deal on it. If I never get either set I'll be okay with it. There's really only one I REALLY want and that's the Clone Engineer. So I can't justify buying the whole set for only one figure I really want.
Some of the others, I wouldn't mind having, others are "meh."

I've got the same feeling about the Mandolorian sets. I only like two of the Mandos, and want teh Omega set of Commandos.

If we could buy these sets seperately I'd have done so by now. EE is going to bite it on both of these different sets because they insist on selling them together. I know the whole cost thing about making so many figures, etc. But since the majority of these are repacks with new deco, it really shouldn't apply as much here.

BFII clone set good, droid set bad
Mando set with Commandos good, with ARC/clones not so good.

Forcing us to buy them together, priceless as in there's not really a good price to sell them at to make it worth it, until they have to take a hit on them.

If I can get the complete set of BF or Mandos for $40 then I'll bite. Otherwise, I'm out.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I almost ordered them yesterday from EE, i came so close because i was going to get the Mando's for display and such and seen the battle front's set...i would like to get the clone set, but the droid set just looks blah to me, that and i could tell by looking at them, they sucked quality wise. thanks for the heads up on this one.

El Chuxter
11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Is there anyone doing quality control on these things or do they just slap these in a box laughing at all the suckers who will buy them?

They just slap these in a box laughing at all the suckers who will buy them.

:p

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 04:13 AM
I kinda want the BF2 Clones pack because I love the game, but Hasbro's really knuckled down and busted their buns to make mediocre battle droids lately so I knew from the start I'd avoid it like the plague. Not enough articulation for any of them, in the game the droids MOVE a lot. The assassin droid (sniper) is shamelessly poor AND they gave him a really cheesy-looking rifle instead of the right one. And since the set is so light, they really should have given them more accessories like the auto-turret, mines, grenades, blaster pistols, Super Battle Droids' wrist-rocket, detpack and detpack trigger, recon droid, fusion cutter, maybe the various power-ups (bacta, ammo at the very least) and the Droideka shield.

DarkJedi5
11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I just don't understand why Hasbro can't make a decent battle droid. I've read their answers about articulation and the problems with the plastic they use but for a character with so much screen time in three movies (not to mention the main enemy for all the army builder figures they've produced over the past three years), but I can't figure why they don't seem to try harder. The Clone set is pretty good, mostly SA, but the droid set is pretty worthless. It's like the worst version of every figure in it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally, I think they were going to use a more articulated battle droid (either the POTJ Security one or the ROTS one) for this set but crapped out at the last minute and decided to use the Legends two-pack one (which, coincidentally, was also originally going to be a more articulated mold). They have several good molds but just need to use better plastic. The ones in the Legends two-packs are good at standing up and being sturdy, but their arms suck for good poses.

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I think Hasbro's of the belief that Battle Droids aren't popular sellers with casual collectors, and thus it's not worth investing heavily in a complex design which is only going to catch on with a small number of hardcore collectors. They are right that the thin wall design of the droids makes it a great challenge for adding articulation to the figures, but as long as the risks seem to outweigh the sales potentials, they're never going to try to solve the problem which is a catch-22 because as long as they don't try to solve the problem, the figure is never going to sell that well.

2-1B
11-18-2007, 04:01 PM
They should make these out of metal or articulate them less with a harder plastic.

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Metal this thin would have to be expensive material to avoid bending easily, plastic is actually a better material for the BD design at this scale I believe (this differs from a Droideka design which would benefit from metal).

The BD design needs a new neck design, a better ball joint and a second transformation joint at the neck base - this is totally achievable with materials they're currently using (the upper joint needs to be higher in the head and a little smaller than current designs, the lower joint needs to be higher in the torso and possibly a friction peg system - thin but doable).

Shoulder design is trouble, nothing can really do what they do in real life with the limited amount of space given - not at full scale, so obviously not at 1:18th. But one needs that "flapping" motion here, the closest may be another friction peg where the arm meets the shoulder, this is buildable but at this scale probably won't be strong enough to stay upright. Alternately, they could cheat and have an angled peg where the arm meets the shoulder but this would limit some poses. The 3rd, and most unusual option, is a slipping peg, the peg is the shoulder and the upper arm has a groove which allows it to slip around the peg from one angle to another, this would work best for the range of motion but worst for joint stability (it'd likely cause a lot of floppy arms).

Arms need a hinge at the elbow that also rotates above AND below it, the hinge is easy but the rotation would need such a small peg that it'd likely break. Basically, think of the thin articulation on some figures' wrists.

The arms also need a hinge above the hand, this is easy to build in theory but in practice the part will always pop out and never stay upright. Metal wouldn't pop out as easily, but it's so thin it'd either bend or break, and it'd flop badly.

Hips are the same problem as shoulders except worse, we have a little more area to work with but at the same time we need to depend on these joints to keep the entire figure upright as this is the balance point.

In the legs, we need a rotation joint above the knee, there are 2 choices for this, just below the hip, or just above the knee. Above the knee is generally standard for humanoid figures, but there's not much room on this one for the joint - this will have to be beefed up.

Knee joint, they could do a snap-together, internal peg design but the knee is SO thin that there's not much room to make that peg strong. Again, this would need beefing up.

Ankle articulation is another area where the part is SO thin that it'd fail with almost any design. My thinking is if the shin had a ball at the bottom and the ankle a corresponding ball joint hole, it might work best, but if the figure weighs too much the joint will very likely either fail or break altogether. Metal would prevent the joint from breaking, but it'd be just as likely to fail if not more so.

And the arms and legs need to be sculpted to accommodate bending past 90 degrees so it can transform.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I believe Hasbro's right and there's no way to correctly implement this. And metal would be too thin in most areas and far too heavy, not to mention expensive. That said, they should have ABSOLUTELY gone back to the one they were using in the ROTS line and just stiffened up the material, it has the best battle pose while remaining a regular backpack-wearing droid. (it could use a redesign on the neck/head joint tho'.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2007, 11:18 PM
That said, they should have ABSOLUTELY gone back to the one they were using in the ROTJ line
Hey, I don't remember any Battle Droids in ROTJ. ;)

In this case, I know that super articulation would be extremely difficult or result in them being very flimsy or very bulky (both of which we've seen in the past). The only joints I really need to see on these guys are the head (not the ball ones and not the kind in the two-packs, either), shoulders, elbows, legs, and maybe knees. I don't think anything else is really necessary or even feasible.

I suppose eventually I want one that can fold up all the way like in TPM, but even if they sculpted it in a way that it's permanently stuck like that (a la the rolled-up Destroyer Droid figure/accessory) then that'd be fine since I'd likely be displaying it like that anyway.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey, I don't remember any Battle Droids in ROTJ. ;)

In this case, I know that super articulation would be extremely difficult or result in them being very flimsy or very bulky (both of which we've seen in the past). The only joints I really need to see on these guys are the head (not the ball ones and not the kind in the two-packs, either), shoulders, elbows, legs, and maybe knees. I don't think anything else is really necessary or even feasible.

I think this is the best way to go with the battle droids. After buying the saga legends 2-pack they need to go back and keep this figure as simple as they can, and avoid anything that may make the figure cheap!!!

El Chuxter
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
You know, I'll bet that, in some alternate universe, the Battlefront 2 Droid Pack just posted a thread on an online forum with the subject, "DarkJedi5 SUCKS!"

bigbarada
11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
The POTJ Security Battle Droid was the best Battle Droid figure I remember, why can't Hasbro just rerelease that one with some clear round stands to keep them from falling over?

LTBasker
11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
You know, I'll bet that, in some alternate universe, the Battlefront 2 Droid Pack just posted a thread on an online forum with the subject, "DarkJedi5 SUCKS!"

That would be at Soviet SSG.

I think their easiest solution would be to look at what sort of plastic they were using for the TPM line as opposed to now, the TPM Battle Droids are a bit thicker than they've been making them since I believe OOM-9, but they were pretty sturdy. I think if they mixed that plastic & beefiness with the pose of the POTJ Security Droid and/or the Saga/ROTS Battle Droid they might have the "perfect" Battle Droid.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
The POTJ Security Battle Droid was the best Battle Droid figure I remember, why can't Hasbro just rerelease that one with some clear round stands to keep them from falling over?
There are still a few problems with this one, though I like it a lot too. The lever on his back that moves his head and arms is an eyesore and needs to be gotten rid of. He doesn't have a backpack, so he only works as a security droid or a pilot droid (with different paint) unless they modify him with a hole in his back. The mold was reused with flimsier plastic for the arena accessory set in 2002 and often had trouble standing up (but may work better with a stand, as you suggested).

So while it's close, it's not quite "perfect."

JediTricks
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey, I don't remember any Battle Droids in ROTJ. ;)Nice. Corrected. :p

In this case, I know that super articulation would be extremely difficult or result in them being very flimsy or very bulky (both of which we've seen in the past). The only joints I really need to see on these guys are the head (not the ball ones and not the kind in the two-packs, either), shoulders, elbows, legs, and maybe knees. I don't think anything else is really necessary or even feasible.The problem is, I do want them to be able to stand normal and then hold his weapon 2-handed, and it'll take a lot of articulation to get there.

I suppose eventually I want one that can fold up all the way like in TPM, but even if they sculpted it in a way that it's permanently stuck like that (a la the rolled-up Destroyer Droid figure/accessory) then that'd be fine since I'd likely be displaying it like that anyway.There's not much reason they couldn't do it folding up actually, the sticking point would be the hands folding over the shins.

The POTJ Security Battle Droid was the best Battle Droid figure I remember, why can't Hasbro just rerelease that one with some clear round stands to keep them from falling over?I don't like the lever in its back for the gimmick, and it can't take a backpack. That's why I called to the ROTS one, it's got the arm pose. I do think the POTJ version's leg stance is way better, but the ROTS one also has better paint. Mix n match?

On the stand, that'd be a good idea, maybe with loops to slip the feet into instead of trying to peg the feet onto it.

Phantom-like Menace
12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm posting this here rather than in the sightings section because I had no idea I would even find these sets where I found them.

I don't know if this is news to anyone else, but I went into Books A Million today and found that they have these sets. I grabbed one clone set for myself (finally a Faie-type helmet!) and one for my brother. So if you're thinking of getting either of these sets and don't want to go the online route, try Books A Million.