PDA

View Full Version : Baron Fel and Hobbie Klivian Comic 2-pack Review

Sinscia Fat'o
11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
I love brash pilots in the SW universe, i honest to god do. Hobbie, one of my favorites from the battle of hoth to the rogue squadron comic books, hobbie the $h*T. Baron Soontir Fel, i gotta say another one of my favorite characters, and a cool tie fighter pilot is a plus even if your not a EU person, this pack looks to be the real deal...which for those of you lost in translation: if you like only movie OT stuff then you get Hobbie, and a tie fighter pilot with removeable helmet...If you like both movies and EU, you get Hobbie and the one of the coolest impireal characters there is.

Baron Soontir Fel

Head: First things first to beard. Not cool. WTF hasbro? Only reason i can forsee as to why no facial hair is that they couldn't get the helmet to over his head with that patch on his chin. But other than that this figure has a great look and suits Fel very-very well. Though his head doesn't have very good movement, he has a ball joint but not in the ways the other figures do...just back and fourth here folks.

Arms: Elbows got swivel action and a GI Joe joint, his shoulders have the swivel joint which gives Fel a wide buffet of movements, and as an added bonus he's got wrist joints.

Waste/Torsoe: He's got standard waste movement.

Legs: Standard upper leg/thigh movement, knee joints (GI Joe style joints), which also have the swivel giving him alot of good movement here, god this figure begs for a tie fighter to be posed in. Sad they didn't give the Baron ankle articulation. But other than that the figure is pretty soild.

Pack Ins: Helmet, with breathing tubes, snaps onto chest. He's got a blaster and a holster. Nice pack ins, though nothing special, except for the helmet.

Over all: No facial hair...WTF (I've said that twice now.) and no ankle joints.

8/10, still this figure is awesome.

(Note/Question: Is it just me or this figure a re-tooled bail organa from the ROTS line? He's got a lot of things that look familiar and i just can't put my finger on where this figure has came from before...but it's not new, unless i waked and baked one too many times in my life.)

Hobbie
Standard Dutch retooled X-wing pilot. Nothing special, nothing new here. Though one thing i didn't like: Hobbie's removeable helmet reveals him to be wearing a body condum. Seriously why they chose not to give Hobbie hair instead of the flight suit thing i'll never know. bad move here hasbro.

Overall: I loved this pack, and it's worth getting if your a fan of the characters like i am. (AKA gotta have'em all!!!)

Kidhuman
11-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I bought this pack as well. I did pass on the Bultar Swan pack as I will get her in the Evo set.

This is by far my favorite pack in this line. I ended up getting alot of these packs after skipping the first wave completely.

I dont think he is a resculpt of Bail.

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 03:55 AM
I saw this set tonight, looked too underwhelming to get my money. Strange how a simple thing like facial hair paint can highlight a bunch of other flaws.

Luuuuuuke
11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
This was the only pack of these I wanted. Hobbie is an x-wing pilot, pretty standard. I like to collect these, so I was glad to get this one. But otherwise, it gets lost in the crowd of other pilots.

As for Baron Fel, first of all, I collect cool EU figures they make, but I totally do not follow the EU universe. But after reading the comic book that came with the pack, I also wondered why they didn't scratch a little beard on him. He's a good figure, perhaps a little too massively framed, and his shoulders are way too rounded. But a good figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
As for the "body condom," Sinscia, Derek is shown with that on his head in ESB when Leia briefs the pilots. I kind of figured that that was a Hoth-specific sort of thing, but maybe not.

I hope they eventually put his head on the Rogue 2 body in a Battlepack or something, as I would have much preferred a Snowspeeder Hobbie to an X-wing Hobbie.

jjreason
11-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I like Hobbie, but am a little put off by the GI Joe-ness of Baron Fel.

bigbarada
11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I saw this set and I passed on it. I'm sick of that inferior Dutch Vander body being used over and over again. Plus, I'm not happy at all with the ridiculous changes to the TIE Pilot uniform (why does a TIE Fighter Pilot need kneepads?). That and the fact that the helmet looks way too small on his head (based on the photo on the card).

When they do a proper TIE Pilot, I'll buy one. This Baron Fel loser can rot on the pegs.

Jaff
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I got this set for Hobbie only, and I was very pleased to see that when you take off his helmet he has the fighter headset on his head. This makes him stand out a little from the other pilots. The other fig I could care less about. I gave him to my 4 year old. I'm sure he's been destroyed by now. Come to think of it, I haven't seen that EU fig since I gave it to him.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
This set has grown on me since i got it, i do wish that they used a new body for Hobbie, but i can live with what they gave us since it's not a bad figure, it's just not a great figure, which is typical hasbro. I never actually thought of them making hobbie hoth specfic, which makes sense in the end i supose, but i would have rather had hobbie as a regular rogue squadron and not in his hoth attire, but as long as he was made i should be happy. As for the Baron, Fel's one of the better characters from rogue squadron comics, he's a cool character and his attire while not Tie fighter specfic makes him stand out, which is cool if you army build tie fighter pilots.

This set along with the whole wave is peg warming rather heavy in my area, which is unusual for the comic packs. The last few waves has sold like hot cakes but i think no one was really impressed with their choices with this wave, though Hobbie and Fel has sold better than Anakin and Bultar's packs around here, the bultar swan and Koffi Arana pack is really heavy, where talking Saga Vader heavy.

El Chuxter
11-26-2007, 06:04 PM
It's because the Bultar sucks and everyone knows we're getting a movie-accurate, super-articulated version in less than six months, packed with a proper Qui-Gon instead of Jedi Master Mr T.

You think these EU figures are selling to kids? Probably not. They're buying the basic figures and the stuff they recognize. They might buy some EU stuff like the ESB Infinities, just because they think Leia with a lightsaber is cool.

bigbarada
11-27-2007, 12:38 AM
You think these EU figures are selling to kids? Probably not. They're buying the basic figures and the stuff they recognize. They might buy some EU stuff like the ESB Infinities, just because they think Leia with a lightsaber is cool.

The Yoda on Kybuck, shirtless Anakin, and Hammerhead Jedi are pegwarming pretty bad here. Probably because many kids don't know anything about the Clone Wars cartoon since the show isn't being aired and the DVDs aren't readily available anymore (it's been a couple of years since I've seen a copy in stores). Plus the Darth Malak, Pre-Borged Grievous and Darth Revan were moving pretty slowly for a while there.

So as cool as some of the EU figures might be, they just don't seem to have much appeal to kids if they can't instantly recognize them.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-27-2007, 02:42 PM
actually i've seen at least two different kids walk around with the luke and mara 2-pack, and the dark woman ashard hett two pack, both which isn't easy to come across still in my area. As for the other EU characters try and find a Malack, Revan, or Anakin from the clone wars...actually anything from wave 5 (except 3-PO) you'll turn up dry, and thats counting 6 wal-marts, 2 kay-bees, 3 k-marts, and about half a dozen drug stores give or take a few numbers. I think alot of the EU like these comic packs need to have more reconizable characters packed with characters some us might not know. A good example is the Mara JAde, Luke Skywalker pack. Kids know luke, but dont know mara, with this pack they get a chance to find out about her, and they get a luke figure...Dark-woman, what kid would buy a gray haired woman by herself? Not many, even with a lightsaber. While Ashard Hett is a tusken and has a lightsaber, kids want it for him. I think alot of the community of star wars collectors don't take in the cool factor when thinking about kids and toys....when i was a kid i bought what i thought was cool, not all the time characters that i knew.

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
See, you kinda answered your own question. Mara/Luke sells because of Luke. A'Sharad/Dark Woman sells because of a cool Tusken with two lightsabers. Anakin is a main character, topless or not. Grievous is Grievous, and a cool looking alien.

On the other hand, Revan and Malak are shortpacked to an insane degree.

But take Bultar/Koffi. Kids don't know either. Kids don't remember Mr T (unfortunately--there should be a required unit on him in sixth grade history). Neither figure looks especially exciting to people who don't know them. The Bultar looks downright bad. If, instead of Bultar, the set had included Ma'kis'shaalas, Jastus Farr, Roblio Darté, or (especially) Tsui Choi, the set would look nicer and sell better. But a crappy, non-movie Bultar, when we all know a better one is coming, is useless, and Koffi's not worth $10 by himself.

Sure, people might complain about the cost if Tsui Choi were the other Jedi, but everyone wants him.

Heck, even (as loathe as I am to say it) a Vader resculpt with Purge-related damage would've been preferable to that Bultar Swan impostor.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I think the Bultar and Koffi would have done better if Bultar would have been a better figure, hasbro pulled a fast one on us for quality. Would the pack have sold better with any of those other jedi's you mentioned? I'd say no. (with the exception of Tsui, because he just looks cool.)

I think two things are hurting this line, and right now it's figure quality, look at Bultar Swan horriable figure, and arguably one of the worst hasbro has ever produced, and thats really sad this far into the line. When you look at the Fel and Hobbie what hurts this pack, but simple little details. Fel's facial hair, the reuse of the dutch mold, and the most important is the pack isn't exciting compared to past releases we've seen from this line so far.

The other thing i think is hurting this line is something you've said Chuxter to a certain degree and thats selection of figures. While i like Koffi (And i didn't know who he was until i read the comic that came with the pack, and it's worth the price of the pack alone, great story) i don't think Koffi was or is the best choice for this pack. Would a vader have made the pack sold any better? NO, i really don't think it would have, no, i know it wouldn't have. Would Bultar in this pack sold with anyone (leaving the figure is as it is.) No. This pack shouldn't have even be made in my opinion, Koffi should have been single packed or even in a battle pack...

As for Wave 5, every figure in that wave leaves with the exception of 3PO, and even he moves quicker than a lot of other figures, like Vader, Umpass, Luke Jedi Knight, ROTS Troopers, and the pit droids, those figures couldn't be given away at the moment. Grievous would sell no matter how they done him, because kiddies and collectors dig him, kinda like Darth Maul. (I've never seen Grievous at retail.) Revan and Malack...being short packed like they are...i'm not even going to start on that one.

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
I finally found Pre-Cyborg Grievous last week, several months after my first (and only other) Wave 5 sighting.

I was going to pass on him. The figure looks so cool, though, that I not only bought him, but I bought him for $8 in case I never see him again. (He was at Kohl's, and they were running a 20% off action figures sale. Yeah, I might've bought him for $10 if he wasn't on sale.)

Sinscia Fat'o
11-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Grievous is hands down the best figure in that wave. I would whole heartedly pay ten bucks for him. I just wish hasbro would make a movie General that cool, you know to scale, with SA, soft goods cloak, and the most important detail of all, to scale. I've been looking for one for a friend of mine for a while now, and haven't had any luck, and with wave six rolling in and out there isn't much luck for those who haven't found these guys yet. (Why i think hasbrotoyshop.com and EE are the best ways to go when it comes to the hunt.)

bigbarada
11-27-2007, 05:30 PM
actually i've seen at least two different kids walk around with the luke and mara 2-pack, and the dark woman ashard hett two pack, both which isn't easy to come across still in my area. As for the other EU characters try and find a Malack, Revan, or Anakin from the clone wars...actually anything from wave 5 (except 3-PO) you'll turn up dry, and thats counting 6 wal-marts, 2 kay-bees, 3 k-marts, and about half a dozen drug stores give or take a few numbers. I think alot of the EU like these comic packs need to have more reconizable characters packed with characters some us might not know. A good example is the Mara JAde, Luke Skywalker pack. Kids know luke, but dont know mara, with this pack they get a chance to find out about her, and they get a luke figure...Dark-woman, what kid would buy a gray haired woman by herself? Not many, even with a lightsaber. While Ashard Hett is a tusken and has a lightsaber, kids want it for him. I think alot of the community of star wars collectors don't take in the cool factor when thinking about kids and toys....when i was a kid i bought what i thought was cool, not all the time characters that i knew.

That's not the experience I've been having, all of wave 5 has been pretty easy to find. Yoda, Anakin, Threepio, Roron, and Hermie from that wave are all pegwarming here. In fact, I could go to the Wal-Mart in Litchfield right now and probably find at least 4-5 of each of those figures in the store right now. We also had 5 or 6 Darth Malak, Revan and pre-Borg Grievous on the pegs for about a week.

It's annoying to me because I only wanted Threepio and Hermie from that wave, and that's all I bought. The rest are just getting in the way and preventing more of wave 7 and wave 8 from showing up.

jedibear
12-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Wave 5 is starting to sit a bit up here too...at least Roran, TatAni, Threepio, Odle & Darth ToiletBowl er, Malak...Reven and PreCyGreivous still go pretty quick.

No sign of the "purge" set...we've gotten four cases of a "revision" wave of the comic sets with Ani/AssDroid, Hobbe/Fel and the early sets (Tarkin, Luke, Han, Vader)...

And I think the two-packs are moving with kids, even the more recent ones...saw a kid at TRU today convince mom to buy him both the Luke/Mara set and the Ani/AssDroid set...mom commented she thought it was a decent deal for the kid to get two figures and a comic, so the format is working with collectors and kids...

Mad Slanted Powers
12-16-2007, 12:27 AM
I've hardly seen wave 5 here. I passed on it because I got the case from EE. Today I found a Starkiller Hero at Target, but I don't think I saw anything else from wave 5. That was kind of odd. It had a slightly bent card, so maybe that was why it was still there, or maybe it had been returned. I think the only place I've seen the wave was at the Kohl's here in Bellingham, WA and at a Wal-Mart in Mount Vernon, WA. What's heavy here now is Wave 4. Wal-Mart and Kohl's both have had wave 6.