PDA

View Full Version : What Lego sets would you like to see redone?

Battle Droid
11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd like to see,

AAT
Mos Eisley Cantina (Needs to be BIGGER!)
Jabba's Palace (Needs to be BIGGER, and come with the Rancor!)
AT-ST (Should be able to seat two drivers.)

Ji'dai
11-19-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think we'll ever get playsets in the scale or detail we really want.

JediTricks
11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
AAT would be nice.

I'd like to see a new Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter, one that's more to scale and not so fragile.

AoDfan
11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
The various Ties. They've already redone all the rebel space craft. I guess all the blue pieces tick me off.

JediTricks
11-21-2007, 04:13 AM
They redid the TIE Fighter and Vader's TIE already, didn't they? The blue doesn't bother me because it's true to what they were going for, that was the design and intention, but it is a little striking because it's SO strong, maybe their sand-blue would be better. What bugs me about the TIEs is that all their wings have no edges, so they're incomplete looks.

AoDfan
11-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I know they did Vader's Tie Advanced as a Ultimate model. Far as I can tell the the Ties have never been remodeled. The new Tie Crawler uses the same blue color bricks they've used in all Ties.

JediTricks
11-21-2007, 06:08 PM
The TIE Fighter original:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7146
and redux:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7263

(they're pretty similar, but have design differences.)

Original DV TIE Advanced:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7150
Redesigns:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7262
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10131

(more design differences than the regular TIE Fighter changes.)

AoDfan
11-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Well their not as drastically redone like the latest rebel craft. It's just that blue I have a problem with. If I had the extra blocks and bits, I would make the entire Tie in the light gray and dark gray.

JediTricks
11-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, keep in mind that only ANH has gray TIE vehicles, and only that because they were limited from using the intended blue because they were still inventing the technology to film this stuff, so you would never have a gray TIE Bomber or TIE Interceptor. I do like your idea of trying dark gray instead of black for the main color though, it'd be inaccurate but visually more accessible - the black plates they use are SO inky that they make the set look less substantial.

I still think Sand Blue is the best color choice to use for all the TIEs, it's somewhat close to gray while truer to the blue used in ESB and ROTJ. Here's a set made up almost entirely of Sand Blue (I have this set, it's underwhelming only because the legs can't be moved independently): http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=4770-1

AoDfan
11-23-2007, 06:31 PM
They used that sandy blue color in the Tie Mini-Models for the bodies. It is a nice color.

JediTricks
11-23-2007, 07:37 PM
They used that sandy blue color in the Tie Mini-Models for the bodies. It is a nice color.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that whole line. Good memory.

Jargo
01-05-2008, 02:46 PM
getting away from star wars for a second, I think some of the town/city vehicles need updating. things like the tow truck and civillian cars. in some of the newer colours. using the new wheel arches and fender pieces. the new windshields.
there's a curved low windshield piece on the upcoming speedracer sets, if they made one that was four studs wide they could get some sporty looking cars. and possibly get doors on the cars too. something missing from recent vehicles.

a subway train would be good. something along the lines of the metroliner set but with that flat horizontal front same as in the spiderman vs doc oc set. the last passenger train looked more like an intercity one. maybe have the tracks go overhead too a la NYC. with girder supports beneath. and a passenger bus. or tram. a bendy bus would be cool. lego isn't averse to using rubber pieces these days so the middle bendy section could be rubber and one piece. perhaps they could push the boat out and make a folding door for it too. standard door frame size but a two piece folding door perfect for a bus or train. maybe have a sticker for the side that advertises the 50 year brick movie that's playing at the cinema in the town plan anniversary set.

Taxi!!!!! I love the yellow cab in the spiderman bridge set. aside from the tiny wheels and horrible old wheel arches. redo that with the better parts we have now. bigger. wider.

take the new cargo wagon and lose the rear trailer. just have it as a large truck then make it a removals truck. lose the lift up side and put in rear doors and fold down loading platform.

oh and the town hospital desperately needs redoing. the last one was atrocious and had nothing to it. I'm not bothered if there's no vehicle with the set those can be sold separately, the hospital itself needs a ward, a reception, a surgical theatre and emergency room. split it into two sets if need be and have it modular. just bigger and more to it. something that looks like a hospital not just a flimsy tower on an over large baseplate burp.

a decent store. not just a bike repair shop or an octan convenience store, but a neighbourhood store, groceries or butchers or fruit and veg. even a fish store. bakers. there's loads of minifig food accesories, some kind of basic storefront set that will sit nicely alongside the cafe corner and market street sets. an easy build that can be quickly replicated.

multi-storey car park. that definitely needs redoing. two floors and a flat roof parking area. minifig elevator and vehicle access ramps to the top two floors. decent booth and barrier at the entrance/exit. have the floors be stackable so you can shove more sets together and make it as large or small as you want.

urban apartment block. they've done multi-floor hotels before but adapting it to fit urban dwelling would be cool. a sort of brown or grey stone building. one you could set a few of side by side. houses are fine but you don't tend to get many in the town/city centre. take the side of cafe corner and play around with that. lose the fancy roof in favour of a flat roof with a water tower. add steps and large doorway to the ground floor. add a fire escape to the side. shove a fire hydrant and street lamp on the sidewalk and throw in a few 'hood' styled minifigs. do a small accompanying set with a pimped out ride and a couple of dodgey looking minifigs with that lovely semi automatic sidearm from the batman sets and those little chromed knives. create a pest control truck from something like the police van and add in a couple of minifigs from the welfare department. a drunken bum and a skateboarding kid.

A police car pound would be cool too. all it'd need is a small office building and a perimeter fence and gate. then just shove two or three vehicles inside the compound. easy way to add more vehicles to the Lego city streets.

need a bank too. with ATM's outside and public call boxes. big flag pole on the second floor jutting out. maybe some kind of faux fortified look.

lastly a vegetation set. with new trees. the Lollipop style and conifer are really cool but a bit boring now. could do with something taller and with a wider leafy spread. an ornamental standard in a tub. maybe a spiral topiary bush. and a hedge. get some variety into the legoland vegetation.

Ji'dai
01-09-2008, 11:09 AM
LEGO has made small promotional sets of Shell (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/town/promotional/shell) convenience stores, car washes, and gas pumps. They were available in Europe and later through US Shop@Home. They are fairly basic designs, but when added into a large Town setup look okay.

There was a nice little bank (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1490) from 1988 I'd like to see again or redone. The bank (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6566) from '97 was pretty dull, just two boxes stacked on top of each other.

I'd welcome more city block sets like Cafe Corner or Market Street. The 50th anniversary Town Plan is a fine looking set. The theater even has an interior. I would like to see fire hydrants, phone (& suicide?) booths, and mail boxes too.

I'd like to see different trees and vegetation too. I was hoping the old style palm tree would be offered for sale separately.

I also want to see the return of the Western theme. The Indians weren't my cup of tea, but the old west town sets were pretty sweet.

Jargo
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
cafe corner style modular shops would be very cool. say three shops on the ground level with domestic accommodation above. and a sticker sheet with enough variety of store types to allow you to easily add on more shops. swap them round. MOC them. or even knock the first floor through into one room and do something like a gym or dance studio or martial arts dojo. maybe even creat a proper arched window piece for it.

I was looking at the granular trees they used to do and thinking how with this new marbling and fading of two different colours in the one mold technique could be used to give trees brown trunks. and how longer trunks to the trees would look better. doing trees in different colours would help too. possibly dark red and definitely some dark green. anything to get some variation.

Ji'dai
01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I was looking at the granular trees they used to do and thinking how with this new marbling and fading of two different colours in the one mold technique could be used to give trees brown trunks. and how longer trunks to the trees would look better. doing trees in different colours would help too. possibly dark red and definitely some dark green. anything to get some variation. Is the marbling intentional? The way JT talks, it's a quality issue due to water in the mold.

Yeah, the trees are too short. I'd prefer that LEGO not do large molded trees though. They could offer a Factory tree set so you could build one using brown bricks and arches for the trunk and different foliage elements for the canopy. It'd take a lot of work to get it to look right.

LusiferSam
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=Ji'dai;591114]Is the marbling intentional? The way JT talks, it's a quality issue due to water in the mold./QUOTE]

Not as far as I know. I can't say I've ever heard of the marbling I've seen as being from water. When I've seen marbling or flame colored bricks it's from two colors of ABS mixing. Lego would sometimes finish one batch of ABS and then start a new batch of a different color in the same container.

DarthQuack
01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I always enjoyed the old Forestmen sets, although only 3 of them or so, it's what I remember having as a kid.

Jargo
01-10-2008, 09:32 AM
i think the marbling JT is talking about is where you get streaking which alters the colour of the brick on a facing edge so you get a lighter area. as opposed to the deliberate mixing of plastic pellets at point of injection. so say a piece like the new giant ants in the indiana jones set are deliberately bi-colour whereas basic bricks with a lighter patch are accidental.
the accidental streaking actually doesn't look bad on buildings. it kinda mimics natural materials like stone and brick. It's not so hot where vehicles are concerned though.

I don't class the brown arch brick and green leaf pieces trees as proper Lego trees. though I do like some of the MOC ones I've seen. Lego has never really got the hang of it themselves in their sets. partly because they tend to try and use as few bricks as possible. a creator set of trees could work. or they could just throw in a tree doctor minifig with a chainsaw and some 'ropes' and a truck and a couple of largish tree structures, maybe a cat stuck in the tree.. under the same umbrella as the city essentials like the garbage truck and street cleaner vehicle. municipal services.

I wish I was familiar with CAD so I could draw stuff up and illustrate properly what I mean.

ooh i just noticed in coast guard set 7726, the dinghy appears to be a new one. It looks four studs wide inside as opposed to the regular two stud wide version that they use in set 7739. I could be wrong but the overall dimensions in the picture seem bigger.

JediTricks
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
LEGO has made small promotional sets of Shell (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/town/promotional/shell) convenience stores, car washes, and gas pumps. They were available in Europe and later through US Shop@Home. They are fairly basic designs, but when added into a large Town setup look okay. I have a few of these, they are pretty decent. There's also a shell technic motorcycle not listed there, it uses rubber bands for suspension but is surprisingly decent.

There was a nice little bank (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1490) from 1988 I'd like to see again or redone. The bank (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6566) from '97 was pretty dull, just two boxes stacked on top of each other.They both seem meh to me.

I'd welcome more city block sets like Cafe Corner or Market Street. The 50th anniversary Town Plan is a fine looking set. The theater even has an interior. I would like to see fire hydrants, phone (& suicide?) booths, and mail boxes too.Futurama LEGO sets would be da shiz! Suicide booths, crosstown tubes, hovercars, the Planet Express Ship... BENDER!!!

Is the marbling intentional? The way JT talks, it's a quality issue due to water in the mold.I haven't seen examples of what you guys are calling "marbling", but if it's the swirling, that's from moisture in the mold and jetting (the dye not getting fully integrated with the material as they're mixed, which can also be from moisture interrupting the process, though it's not the only possible culprit).

Jargo
02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
the marbling appears as a deliberate thing in the aquazone base set. look at the squids etes which use the same ball housing as the star wars gunship front guns. the lower half of the ball on the squid is marbled through with orange so when the upper half of the ball goes on the eye looks a bit bloodshot. that's a clever use of the marbling. it's the same process they use to get the two colours in one piece on new castle dragon wings.

it's like the colours run together as two different coloured pellets are mushed together in a mold. which would make me think there are multiple injection points on these molds. or they use unmelted pellets and it's created by pressure. would be interested to hear how it's done from the lego reps.