PDA

View Full Version : Do you know enough about Porcupines?

Tycho
11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
It is 5:30 in the am. I went to sleep ONLY from 12-1am and have been up every since, looking for things to do.

I watched Jurassic Park and prepared to start a JP movie marathon so I could watch Tyranasauruses eating people.

That's got to be a great thing to do when you can't sleep.

However, afterward, I decided to devote myself to learning all I can about porcupines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine).

And now through my efforts, you can use the link above to learn about porcupines yourself.

Learning about porcupines is important, as a matter of fact.

For example, I learned that porcupines are rodents.

And that there are bigger beavers.

If you're stuck by a porcupine, the quills are designed by nature to continue to bury themselves deeper and deeper. The wounds can become infected, and definitely very painful, and you could die.

Nevertheless, Vietnamese people eat porcupines.

Porcupines like salt. If there was a porcupine in the Star Wars universe, it would likely fight with an Arcona like Hem Dazon to try and get their salt.

Having insomnia is very useful for one wishing to stay up and learn about porcupines.

Blue2th
11-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd rather learn about beavers. I think they are more interesting. :D

DarthQuack
11-20-2007, 10:34 AM
I know it'd be awesome to have a little hedgehog as a pet.

El Chuxter
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Nevertheless, Vietnamese people eat porcupines.

Not all of them. Trust me. I'd say it's like eating dog: a very small percentage of people in Vietnam do it, but it's weird, so it gets a lot more attention in the West than it should.

JimJamBonds
11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
However, afterward, I decided to devote myself to learning all I can about porcupines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine).

How/why in the F did you pick porkies?

2-1B
11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I know everything about porcupines. I've seen over two hundred and forty of them.

Tycho
11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
How/why in the F did you pick porkies?

It was 4 or 5 something in the morning. Not a time when many are going to be around. But it's a really painful time for the isolation of an attention wh@re such as myself, so I decided on one of the oddest subject matters that quickly came to my over-tired mind.

I was watching Animal Planet earlier in my insomnia, but no, it wasn't about porcupines. Some puppies that fell in a drainage ditch in Texas were being rescued.

In any event, I learned some interesting and new (to me) information about porcupines (including even how to spell their species' name) during my wikipedia adventure.

Meanwhile, I think I will nominate Caesar to be SSG's offical ambassador to the greater porcupine community. I cite his vast experience for earning my recommendation!

JimJamBonds
11-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I know everything about porcupines. I've seen over two hundred and forty of them.

Really Dwight?

TeeEye7
11-20-2007, 11:30 PM
This all sounds like a sticky subject to me.

2-1B
11-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Then just wait'll he starts researching Gamecocks.

LusiferSam
11-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Here's to learning. Tycho I wish you luck in your quest to learning about porcupines. I myself know as much about the rodent I as I'd like to. But to help fill you into on them here's two things you should know.

Porcupines are a small rodent than a beaver. I've personally seen a 50 lb beaver and I talked to people who have trapped 65 lb versions. Porcupines rarely get larger than 40 lbs.

Second, like beavers some people view porcupines as a pest. Cattle ranchers in this part of the world hate the things and will kill them sight unseen.

JediTricks
11-21-2007, 04:05 AM
There was a display at the Natural History Museum here in LA with porcupines, and someone had one posed climbing a tree - that's some scary s**t, walking along in the forest minding your own business when all of a sudden, from out of nowhere,
quilled death drops from the sky.

TeeEye7
11-21-2007, 06:55 AM

Yeah. Next he'll check out shuttlecocks, too, and tell us it has something to do with astronauts.

CaptainSolo1138
11-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Second, like beavers some people view porcupines as a pest.Odd, I've never come across a beaver I didn't like.

2-1B
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I have, Caps.

TeeEye7
11-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I have, Caps.

"....this little one's not worth the trouble. Come, let me get you something...."

"....move along, move along...." ;)

:D

Tycho
11-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Let's add some pictures of porcupines!

This one is from the link above at wikipedia.

He looks like he'd be soft to pet, kind of. But your hands would be as bloody as if they got 1000 papercuts with one stroke.

Porcupines cannot launch their needles though - like some kind of shrapnel cannister.

However, it might make a very unethical but terrifying weapon if our military created a porcupine launcher!

TeeEye7
11-22-2007, 03:32 AM
They were probably inspired by the porcupine when the military came up with the flechette:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flechette

Tycho
11-22-2007, 03:51 AM
Those are terrible weapons in use for warfare. If you're going to shoot a man with a regular firearm, you usually aim for the chest.

If a fletchet cannister goes off - I'll leave it to your imagination where the needles could fly. If the weapon does not kill its victim, it could be just terrible, huh?

I mean whether you kill the enemy or just immobilize their ability to make war, you win right? So the goal of warfare is less that you kill all your enemy, rather than that at the end of the day, you wind up controlling them.

CaptainSolo1138
11-22-2007, 08:35 AM
They were probably inspired by the porcupine when the military came up with the flechette:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlechetteWell I'll be darned. I didn't know that was a real type of weapon. I always thought it was just the name of the shotgun in Battlefront II.

Blue2th
11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
I like the needle weapon in Halo. They have a "seek" feature, stick in the enemy like quills, then they explode.

TeeEye7
11-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Well I'll be darned. I didn't know that was a real type of weapon. I always thought it was just the name of the shotgun in Battlefront II.

Flechette shotgun rounds are still available for purchase to the general public. However, they are illegal in the majority of the States.

JimJamBonds
11-22-2007, 10:06 PM

I'll let Steve Spurrier handle that talk.

LusiferSam
11-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Odd, I've never come across a beaver I didn't like.

Come to think of it, I haven't either. Although there are a few I wish I hadn't meet.

JediTricks
11-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Well I'll be darned. I didn't know that was a real type of weapon. I always thought it was just the name of the shotgun in Battlefront II.
I thought the same thing. :D

El Chuxter
11-24-2007, 02:36 AM
When mating, porcupine couples argue over who has to be on top.

El Chuxter
11-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Porcupines only rarely learn Spanish.

Tycho
11-25-2007, 02:03 PM
When mating, porcupine couples argue over who has to be on top.

But the male always sticks it to the female.

El Chuxter
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
There has never been a documented case of a porcupine driving a truckfull of illegal immigrants from Mexico.

jjreason
11-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I have run over not less than 4 porcupines with different vehicles (they were EVERYWHERE when I lived in Prince Rupert, BC). The sound it makes (along with the obligatory "thump bump") is akin to dropping a dry Christmas tree. :sad:

2-1B
11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
We should study the various pronunciations of the word porcupine across North America:

Midwest: Pork-You-Pine
East Coast: Pahk-Uh-Pine
South: Perk-Yah-Pine
West Coast: Duuuuude

Canada: ?????

Tycho
11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Actually, I think you got that right Caesar.

Duuuude! It's a porcupine.

Chuxter, I don't believe there has ever been a porcupine who has ran for any office in the Federal Government.

El Chuxter
11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
How quickly you forget William Henry Harrison.

CaptainSolo1138
11-26-2007, 07:00 PM
How quickly you forget William Henry Harrison.Tsk, tsk, tsk. I believe what you meant to say was, "How quickly you forget Martin Van Buren's ugly smear campaign against William Henry Harrison." He claimed Harrison was a porcupine but couldn't factually back that claim up, leading to a leary public and Harrison's landslide victory in 1840.

TeeEye7
11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Canada: ?????

Pork-eh?-pine

Tycho
05-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Check out this new video of lions versus a porcupine! (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=33854306)

Porcupines! They're interesting and cool!

The lions are cute, btw.