PDA

View Full Version : Parking far from the homestead

stillakid
11-21-2007, 01:01 PM
In AOTC, Hayd-akin parks the swoop bike a few hundred feet away from the door to the homestead after he finds his "waiting to die til a convenient time in the story" mom.

In ROTS, Ewan Wan Kenobi parks the camel-thing about the same distance away when he delivers baby Luke to the "I'm kinda cute right now, but just wait a few years" Beru.

Now, it's understandable why Padme landed the silver surfer ship that distance from the bubble homestead when she arrives with Bipolar Hayd-akin with Kung Fu Grip. But why do the other characters feel the need to park their assorted vehicles/beasts so far from the front door? Do they like to carry things unnecessarily through drifting sand or is there some other reason?

Mad Slanted Powers
11-21-2007, 08:01 PM
I think you overestimate the distance. They only had to take a few steps to reach Anakin's bike. Obi-Wan looked to be a bit farther away, but maybe that's to make sure they didn't end up with eopie pies right outside the door.

El Chuxter
11-24-2007, 02:29 AM
The closer spaces are handicapped, and reserved for Cliegg.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2007, 10:06 AM
It's just plain courtesy. Do you pull up onto your friend's lawn when you visit? Well, maybe. But normally, and when you're thinking straight, no. Dirt, well-swept, is called a Tatooine Lawn. And nobody messes with Ol' Man Lars' lawn, you know. :shakeyourfistharderboy:

Kidhuman
11-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Objects in the camera are closer than they appear.

JimJamBonds
11-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Why is there a thread about this???? Caesar told me and I hoped he was lying.... sadly he wasn't.

stillakid
11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Why is there a thread about this???? Caesar told me and I hoped he was lying.... sadly he wasn't.

There's a thread because it never makes sense that everybody parks so far from the front door. I want to know why? Is there a real reason or is it just for the dramatic walkup opportunity:?

Mad Slanted Powers
11-25-2007, 02:20 PM
And the reason is that it isn't that far away. Your eyes deceive you, don't trust them.

stillakid
11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
And the reason is that it isn't that far away. Your eyes deceive you, don't trust them.

It is far away. They could've pulled up right to the f'in door, but they don't. Why not?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I think it's simple. :bubbleburst: You don't kick up sand or dust near the front door, or accidentally end up in the below-ground-entrance, so you keep your distance, even if you just look like you're keeping your distance.

I don't know. It's casual. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I agree with BCJ. That and the other reasons mentioned are good reasons not to park on the doorstep. Besides, this picture shows it is still pretty close, just a few steps a way.

stillakid
11-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I agree with BCJ. That and the other reasons mentioned are good reasons not to park on the doorstep. Besides, this picture shows it is still pretty close, just a few steps a way.

A few steps? Take a look at the photo. If we assume Owen to be about 6' tall (which is being VERY generous), then the distance from Swoop to door is about 24' and is likely closer to 30'.

And let's assume that Schmi's dead body weighs about, say, 120 lbs or so.

Now, I don't know about you, but when carrying dead weight (which admittedly doesn't come up that often), I'm prone to wanting to walk as little as possible. So assuming that the normal human being traverses about two feet for every step taken whilst carrying a dead body, it would have taken Hayd-akin about twelve steps + to make it from Swoop to door.

That may not sound like a lot, but why put yourself through it unless he wanted that dramatic moment to leer angrily at people he doesn't even really know?

2-1B
11-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Hayd-akin should have brought 5 more pall bearers with him.

stillakid
11-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Hayd-akin should have brought 5 more pall bearers with him.

Speaking of that, the dude can float fruit in mid-air... why not levitate his mum off the bike? :confused:

plasticfetish
11-26-2007, 12:43 AM
It's not polite to levitate your dead mom. Everyone knows that.

stillakid
11-26-2007, 01:10 AM
It's not polite to levitate your dead mom. Everyone knows that.

Is it kosher if she's alive?

plasticfetish
11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Is it kosher if she's alive?I've no idea, I'm not a Rabbi.

Kidhuman
11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Notice that they dont pull up to the door and they dont have weight problems? Its all abut the exercise

TeeEye7
11-26-2007, 05:09 PM
In AOTC, Hayd-akin parks the swoop bike a few hundred feet away from the door to the homestead after he finds his "waiting to die til a convenient time in the story" mom.

In ROTS, Ewan Wan Kenobi parks the camel-thing about the same distance away when he delivers baby Luke to the "I'm kinda cute right now, but just wait a few years" Beru.

Now, it's understandable why Padme landed the silver surfer ship that distance from the bubble homestead when she arrives with Bipolar Hayd-akin with Kung Fu Grip. But why do the other characters feel the need to park their assorted vehicles/beasts so far from the front door? Do they like to carry things unnecessarily through drifting sand or is there some other reason?

I would guess that swoop exhaust and dust wouldn't be appreciated wafting into your front door, just as Eopie poo-doo at the front door would be considered bad form, as well.

Maybe there's something in the Jedi Code that forbids it.

2-1B
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
I would guess that swoop exhaust and dust wouldn't be appreciated wafting into your front door, just as Eopie poo-doo at the front door would be considered bad form, as well.

Maybe there's something in the Jedi Code that forbids it.

That didn't stop Mace Windu from defecating all over the Trilogy with his bad dialogue delivery. :)

(just kidding, I love Sam Jackson. :D)

stillakid
11-26-2007, 06:43 PM
That didn't stop Mace Windu from defecating all over the Trilogy with his bad dialogue delivery. :)

(just kidding, I love Sam Jackson. :D)

The confusion is understandable. You obviously meant to say Hayden. :D

2-1B
11-26-2007, 06:51 PM
No way, H-Christ is a pimp. :thumbsup:

Speaking of conveniently timed death scenes and back door arrivals: Luke crashing near Yoda in ESB and Luke showing up for Yoda's impression of Shmi in ROTJ.

stillakid
11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
back door arrivals
Whoa! This is a family site! :sur:

Speaking of conveniently timed death scenes and Luke crashing near Yoda in ESB and Luke showing up for Yoda's impression of Shmi in ROTJ.

Well, "The Force" :D guided Luke to crash land near Yoda's hovel in ESB. It was all part of the goblin's nefarious plan to use the XWing as a pop-quiz. The bigger question is how Luke managed to park his XWing unscathed in ROTJ. There's a lot o' jungle between space and the slimy mudpit.

And Yoda was all tuckered out from 900 years of shuffling around. It's not like he was laying in bed hanging on with his last breath just waiting for Luke to show up so he could deliver some last minute exposition. Sure, it was convenient to the story, but nothing like the Schmi episode. There was absolutely NO reason for her to be captured and kept alive on a grill spit so she could conveniently open her eyes and die within a minute of Ani arriving on the scene.

bobafrett
11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
The closer spaces are handicapped, and reserved for Cliegg.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Notice that they dont pull up to the door and they dont have weight problems? Its all abut the exercise

I was just going to say that. I try to park as far away as I can, so I can get a little exercise, regardless if there is a parking spot closer to the door or not.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Did you expect him to just park right next to the building and push her off the bike so that she rolled down the steps?

2-1B
11-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Whoa! This is a family site! :sur:

Damn you, I scrolled through 3 pages to see if I actually posted that. :D

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 08:46 PM
That screencap actually explains it from a technical standpoint - Lucas wanted to "fill the screen" with the "drama".

JimJamBonds
12-02-2007, 03:00 PM
There's a thread because it never makes sense that everybody parks so far from the front door. I want to know why? Is there a real reason or is it just for the dramatic walkup opportunity:?

I would have thought somebody in the industry wouldn't be so clueless as to how things work. Ever notice that the teenagers don't go back into that scary house until its dark? Or how the killer manages to just barely get away until the very end of the film? Do you think those types of things just keep happening in film after film or is there perhaps some sort of point? Hmmmm I wonder?

The bigger question is how Luke managed to park his XWing unscathed in ROTJ. There's a lot o' jungle between space and the slimy mudpit.

He was finished with his training (sans corpsing Vader) so he could land his "ship" in that slimy mudhole.

stillakid
12-02-2007, 03:54 PM
I would have thought somebody in the industry wouldn't be so clueless as to how things work. Ever notice that the teenagers don't go back into that scary house until its dark? Or how the killer manages to just barely get away until the very end of the film? Do you think those types of things just keep happening in film after film or is there perhaps some sort of point? Hmmmm I wonder?
Well, you know, I was looking for the story reason. I know why the "dramatic walk up" is important, but it only makes sense if, you know, it makes sense.

Put it this way. If the hero drives up to a house, he usually won't park next to the front door, especially if there is a driveway or a curb that is designed for cars. But the Tatooine homestead isn't very landscaped so parking is really a free-for-all. Given that, what's the rationale for parking anything more than a couple steps away from the front door? Film-wise, parking far from the door allows for that six second dramatic scowling walk to the front door. But practically speaking, why would anyone park so far from the front door?

He was finished with his training (sans corpsing Vader) so he could land his "ship" in that slimy mudhole.
I'm sure it took some skill, but isn't the forest canopy pretty dense, too dense to land anything?

JimJamBonds
12-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm sure it took some skill, but isn't the forest canopy pretty dense, too dense to land anything?

He landed in that bog just fine didn't he? :D