PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's The Mist

jonthejedi
11-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Since Beowulf left me slightly unsatisfied(I honestly don't know why), I wanted to review a film I am giving an A to. I read this novella many, many moons ago, loved it but knew it probably wouldn't be filmed for a long, long time. The technology just wasn't there. Now it is, and I'm happy to report everything I loved & remembered about the story is up on the screen & then some. I admit I'm not much of a fan of the current crop of horror flicks. I haven't seen any of the Saw movies, nor The Descent, Hostel I & II...well, you get the picture. MOst of my favorite KIng adaptions were more character-driven drama pieces like Shawshank Redemption & Green MIle. Not coincidentally, Frank Darabont(who worked on Young Indy & I believe a script draft for Indy 4) who directed Shawshank & Green Mile wrote & directed The Mist. A brave & wise choice. This is a character driven drama in spite of the almost sci-fi nature of the story, and the acting is top notch all around. I won't say too much about the plot, but it has more in common with Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds(a classic)...A SMALL TOWN finds itself facing unspeakable...(well, I'm not telling). This is a thriller for a post 9/11 society. Normal, average folk caught in extraordinary situations. What do you do when technology fails, when machines aren't there to help us and you can't call 911 for help. The system breaks down, and then tragically civilized behavior breaks down, and that's at the core of The Mist. Darabont & KIng show us at our darkest, and those inner demons(like in 1408) to me are more frightening than the boogeymen in most of the recent crop of scary films. No wimpy ending like in War of the Worlds, either, so rejoice!

pegger
12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I haven't seen this movie yet - I have to admit, when I heard they finally made it, I was stoked - but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. I read some spoilers, and am disappointed in what I read on the ending. Without giving to much away, what did you think - did it work?

2-1B
12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I loved it, loved the ending, and I couldn't care less if they changed anything.

I thought some of the movie was goofy, well mainly the CGI. I liked the acting for the most part though, good stuff from Tom Jane and the rest of the cast.

I would see it again. :)

jonthejedi
12-04-2007, 05:18 AM
I'm surprised after opening the lack of attention this film received. I think the timing was awful...it should have opened in Sept. Does anyone know the grosses to date?

Deoxyribonucleic
12-04-2007, 11:17 AM
One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I loved the ending, one of the worst things that could possibly happen to a human being, seriously.

Definitely a movie worth seeing :thumbsup:

stillakid
12-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised after opening the lack of attention this film received. I think the timing was awful...it should have opened in Sept. Does anyone know the grosses to date?

Updated grosses are always available here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

As of this moment,
TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES Domestic: $19,563,276 94.6% + Foreign: $1,114,078 5.4% = Worldwide: $20,677,354
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mist.htm

jonthejedi
12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
That's a pity...Frank Darabont deserves better. He's done some of the best King adaptions.

2-1B
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
It was being dogged as a bomb the weekend it came out...meh, I dug it.