PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Special Boba Fett Review

Engineernerd
11-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Ah, November 17, 1978 a day George Lucas would rather forgot. The Star Wars Holiday Special hit TV screens everywhere. Hasbro's not going to let him forget though, they made a figure of Boba Fett from the animated portion of the special.

Check out the review to see if I think this Fett is a turkey or a great Life Day gift:

TVFT Reviews (http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/animated_debut_boba_fett.asp)

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Engineernerd

JediTricks
11-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Just for clarity's sake, Animated Fett is based on the VOTC Fett, with mold modifications to the belt and forearms (gauntlets and gloves).

Also, just to geek out a little, apparently ESB Fett does sport a holstered pistol on his right hip, it's just behind him a ways so it's easy to not notice. Hasbro's 300th Fett figure sports this, it's in the pics in the SW Chronicles book as well.

Engineernerd
11-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Just for clarity's sake, Animated Fett is based on the VOTC Fett, with mold modifications to the belt and forearms (gauntlets and gloves).

Also, just to geek out a little, apparently ESB Fett does sport a holstered pistol on his right hip, it's just behind him a ways so it's easy to not notice. Hasbro's 300th Fett figure sports this, it's in the pics in the SW Chronicles book as well.

Makes sense, the VOTC is one I don't have.

Thanks, JediTricks! I knew somebody here would know.

As a side note, what is the Chronicles book?

JediTricks
11-23-2007, 06:35 PM
You should pick up a VOTC Fett, it's the best Fett figure to date, and it's currently on shelves in the Saga Legends line. Although my VOTC Fett has the same loose backpack situation you describe, my SL version does not.

Star Wars Chronicles is a huge coffeetable book covering the behind-the-scenes of the OT, including the Holiday Special. It's loaded with BIG photographs, which for many shots are still the ultimate (now Lucasfilm is finally getting more and more coverage out there, including making the props available through museum displays). Here it is on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Chronicles-Deborah-Fine/dp/081181498X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195863548&sr=8-1), as you can see, not cheap. The book was put out in '97, though it's based on a Japanese version that is pre-Special Editions so it's "pure" in that respect. (There's a SW Chronicles The Prequels book but I hear it's nowhere near the same caliber despite being the same price due to small photos and an overabundance of focus on costumes.)

bigbarada
11-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I like this figure, but I really wish Hasbro had gone with the helmet that was shown on the prototype figure instead of just repainting the VOTC helmet.

Engineernerd
11-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Ah...that book. I remember wanting it. I just didn't have the extra cash back then. I do have both of the large ILM coffee table books, and love 'em.

I had thought the Legends Fett was the Flaming Backpack one, so I hadn't looked close at him on the card except to note the flames shown on the card back were missing.