PDA

View Full Version : Any games for PS2 online that don't, you know, suck?

JediTricks
11-23-2007, 07:20 PM
So, I went out and bought a 50' ethernet cable so I could hook my PS2 into my router after years of offline play, all because I own 2 games that go online:

Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront 2

To my dismay, BF2 is a really frustrating online experience. This is mainly due to the game's design lagging behind the online, so you shoot an enemy player in the face it it doesn't register, or you are walking along and blow up having never seen the rocket OR the Shocktrooper who fired it even though they were standing right in front of you, or you hit a button on the controller to blow up a detpack and nothing happens, or you cannot see the laser fire that pegs you in the face.

And of course, all that is while you have NO power ups, you have to earn them in the game in 1 life just to keep from dying and to be able to kill - the perfect catch-22 to make it impossible to advance without cheats or MEGA skills (which you can't build since you're dying every 3 seconds).

But at least there's hero-class characters which utterly ruin gameplay for everybody else since infantry controls aren't refined enough to defend from that kind of attack without power-ups, plus Darktroopers and Bothans, which make the experience such an easy way to cheap the rest of the classes. And the enemy players' names in red don't appear until they're well into range, this is especially frustrating fighting the Droid army since they're so thin you can't see the mofos.

Space battles are painfully 1-sided with the OT-era vehicles because the TIE Interceptor is such a more powerful ship than the A-wing and the TIE Bomber carries a remote-control missile while the Y-wing has that crappy repeating machine gun in its place.

And when you finally do find some fun in the game, half the servers out there drop for no reason.

I haven't even bothered playing Battlefront online yet since it can only max 16 players instead of 24, but I may give it a shot since I got nothing else and have grown frustrated with BF2 - tragic since I love that game's solo play WAY more than BF1. For a few games the last few days, I actually had some BF2 fun and a few moments of real ability, but they were quickly snuffed out by the various issues mentioned above (a lot of cheap-out players with Darktroopers especially, I notice some servers ask users not to use them but nobody abides).

So, wah wah wah, anybody got any suggestions for a PS2 game that's fun online instead?

General_Grievous
11-23-2007, 10:23 PM
While I have a PS2, I don't have PS2 online. But I have heard nothing but good things about SOCOM online. You may want to give that a try.

Rocketboy
11-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Cappy had a serious addiction to online SOCOM 2 a year or two back.
I couldn't get into it myself.

Actually, I really couldn't get into any online PS2 games. Most of the ones I have were either so-so or frustrating because of retards.

El Chuxter
11-24-2007, 03:17 AM
I don't play any games online. I use video games to insulate myself from human contact, not encourage it.

JediTricks
11-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, SOCOM looks a little too hardcore and "real", I'm looking for something more fantasy-based and less nerve-wracking. If I see it on sale cheap though I may give it a shot - provided I can get my PS2 to accept my USB headset (we'll see next week what Sony says).

I like the idea of online play because there's spontaneity, I've played BF2 so much I know every move the AI makes - it's still a fun challenge for me, but it's very uniform in a lot of ways. People will think differently - they'll miss stuff like invisible players that the AI can see, yet they'll dodge incoming fire that the AI will stand still for.

I went to play BF1 yesterday and apparently it requires a patch that's over half a meg, my 8 meg memory card has only 440k left of free space so I was unable to take it online. I went back to BF2 and got cheaped out, but found a few moments where it was fun and nearly worked right.

JON9000
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Even if you play BF online, I've heard that the Rebel Rocket Launch trooper completely unbalances things because of the power and splash effect of the weapon. Socom was the only game I have heard of being any good, because people are so technically proficient at sports games that it isn't even fun to lose by a bunch.

JediTricks
11-29-2007, 03:02 PM
BF2 online is definitely thrown off by the explosives characters - the heavy trooper with the rockets is way overwhelming with single-fire rockets, mines, and grenades; the engineer class also can be very troublesome with team-damage off with his detpacks. However, in BF1, I question if that's the same problem, I always found the Rebel heavy trooper to be a pain to use because his weapon fires 2 rockets at once, which effectively wastes a shot and drains his ammo fast (unless you hit, then I suppose it's doubly effective, but there are a lot of chances to miss, and the rocket doesn't fly in quite the same trajectory).

I don't do sports games, they generally require skill AND a frustrating, awkward modification to the control system, so I guess my only choices are SW:BF2 or SOCOM, I'll have to look into the latter I guess.

JetsAndHeels
11-29-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't do sports games, they generally require skill AND a frustrating, awkward modification to the control system, so I guess my only choices are SW:BF2 or SOCOM, I'll have to look into the latter I guess.

I was going to recommend Madden..it is truly addicting online.

CaptainSolo1138
11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
SOCOM pretty much rocks nuts. You're gonna have to play 4, though, since the server for 2 is waaaaaaaaaaaay laggy and 3 is getting there. I haven't played 4 yet, but my brother-in-law said its just as good as 2. SOCOM 3 kinda sucked because sniper rifles were so easy to use. A good sniper on 2 was a relative rarity (I was :)) and a quality sniper on your team or in your clan was a respected advantage. In 3, players were able to outfit almost any gun with a scope, so something like a silenced M-14 would totally destroy, even though it wasn't technically a sniper rifle. This allowed anyone who could fundamentally play the game to snipe, taking a lot of the skill and challenge out of it and replacing it with dumb luck.

people are so technically proficient at sports games that it isn't even fun to lose by a bunch.Agree 100%. It got to a point where I'd only play against certain people because if you got stuck playing someone who knew the "sweet spot" in an NHL game it quickly got to be retarded. And playing any Tiger Woods game online is akin to watching grass grow, waiting for paint to dry AND poking yourself in the eye. All at the same time.

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 04:10 PM
SOCOM 4 is what I figured I'd pick up, if I were to pick up anything of the series. Putting a scope on a gun shouldn't make it so easy to use though, in real life slapping a scope on an M-14 does make it a sniper rifle by some considerations but most other guns no.

CaptainSolo1138
12-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Putting a scope on a gun shouldn't make it so easy to use though, in real life slapping a scope on an M-14 does make it a sniper rifle by some considerations but most other guns no.What I meant to say was that it had the same long-range accuracy of a sniper rifle but without the "shaky zoom" that the sniper rifle had when you zoomed waaaaaaaaaaay in on the target.

jjreason
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
The only game I've played online on PS2 is Metal Gear Solid 3 - the Subsistence version of Snake Eater. It's pretty fun - I'm a proficient MGS guy but not all-world and I'm usually able to hold my own. It doesn't lag too badly either, in my experience.

JediTricks
12-02-2007, 04:29 PM
What I meant to say was that it had the same long-range accuracy of a sniper rifle but without the "shaky zoom" that the sniper rifle had when you zoomed waaaaaaaaaaay in on the target.
Oh, that is pretty cheap, it should behave like a sniper rifle would in that circumstance.

I picked up SOCOM 4, probably going to be the same issues as 3 since you can play against players who are on SOCOM 3 so long as it's a board shared between the 2 titles. I won't have a chance to jump into it till next week though.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow, so far I am utterly horrible at SOCOM! I've only done the single player missions so far since I don't have a really tight understanding of the control systems yet (I blew a goal recently by opening the items list, moving to binocs, and firing my primary weapon instead of selecting the binocs, thus alerting the enemy I was supposed to be scoping). I have little patience for true stealth, and no sense of team strategy for ordering members of my team to go here, do that, wait there, look at this guy. This bodes poorly.

Rocketboy
12-16-2007, 10:20 PM
The controls were my biggest problem with SOCOM 2. I played for hours and hours before I finally gave up.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
SW:BF2 online got me really steamed the other day, I slammed my controller into the ground. It was still working, but the D-pad was slightly at an angle afterwards. Yesterday, I picked it up and felt something drop, it's a clear Sony controller so I quickly noticed what it was - the left vibration motor had fallen out of its little holder. The controller still works for now, but I am gonna have to take it apart if that motor starts hitting the body.

Still haven't gotten into SOCOM yet, my first experiences were not rewarding, there's got to be SOME hope with these things.