PDA

View Full Version : ESB - What's left?

bigbarada
11-23-2007, 06:35 PM
We seem to be reaching the end of figures to make for ESB. Even counting resculpts, I don't really see more than 1 or 2 really strong waves of ESB figures.

The list of all-new figures would maybe fill out one very boring wave:
1. Medical Frigate Luke
2. Medical Frigate Leia
3. Torryn Farr
4. Captain Needa
5. Willrow Hood or random Bespin resident
6. Carbonite Chamber Han with Carbonite Block - all the previous Carbonite Han's have been from ROTJ where his shirt is dirtied up and brown. This would be coat-off, clean white shirt with a resculpted, correctly-scaled Carbonite Block. Should include both sets of shackles, but make them removable.

Resculpts would include:
1. Snowspeeder Pilot Luke
2. Hoth Luke
3. Hoth Leia
4. Hoth Han (only because Hasbro screwed up the VTAC Hoth Han so badly)
5. Bespin Han
6. Bespin Escape Leia
7. Pull-apart Threepio
8. Bespin Guards (black and white ethnicity)
9. Hoth Rebel Troopers/Commanders/whatever
10. 2-1B (OT version, not Ep3 version)
11. ESB Boba Fett (more than a simple repaint of the VOTC Fett)
12. Snowspeeder Wedge
13. Snowspeeder Dak, Hobbie, etc.
14. Ugnaughts (with trashed IG-88 and/or crate of Threepio parts)
15. Zuckuss
16. Captain Piett
17. Bespin Escape Lando (no cape this time)
18. Probe Droid
19. Dengar (almost not necessary at all, just a little lacking in the articulation department)
20. AT-AT Commander (the General Veers figure is too large to fit in the AT-AT, so make a new version with sculpted on body armor and helmet and get rid of the soft plastic "skirt" so that he can sit properly)

None of these, however, feel exciting or fresh, they're just necessary (some more necessary than others).

And since they have to cram a Vader in there somewhere, the only possible one that could be made would be a kneeling Vader with a giant holographic Emperor head.

JediTricks
11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
From your list, I would like a Medical Frigate Luke with interchangeable open and closed forearm. Also, a "done right" Han Carbonite feels necessary to me, same with Luke Snowspeeder and pull-apart 3PO. And 2-1B could use an update, maybe with an internal light or light-pipe gimmick. Those would be "exciting" to me.

I'd like a Hoth Han, Luke, and Leia done better than what we have. Same with Bespin Han & Escape Leia - I love the Leia we have of that, but she's way too pre-posed. Hoth Rebel Troopers that aren't preposed and undersized would be good.

Actually, almost all of your list feels like stuff I'd buy, though my tastes are more main-character-based than background-guys-based. But you're right that it's not the most exciting lot.

bigbarada
11-23-2007, 07:12 PM
The Snowspeeder Pilot Luke is the most exciting figure on that list for me; but I also think that a really well made SA Bespin Han is a real necessity for the line (but they need to completely scrap the Torture Rack Han and start from scratch). Same goes for a new Hoth Leia since she spends about 70% of the movie in that outfit.

Pretty much everyone on my list, except for Willrow Hood, I would buy. Many of them I would be super stoked for Hasbro to make, but realize that these figures aren't going to exactly blow the doors off of Star Wars collecting. Just look at how badly figures like Torture Rack Han and Smuggler Lando are pegwarming, even though fans have been asking for these figures for years now.

DarkArtist
11-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I'd like to see the following:

Some new Bespin Guards
Correctly scaled Han in Carbonite
new sculpt of Bespin Escape Leia
Medical Frigate Luke, Leia
Various Hoth Rebel Soliders, Pilots

stillakid
11-23-2007, 07:29 PM
I'd kinda like a sock-puppet asteroid beast. It could be a playset where the puppet head comes out of a cave hole and the set includes to-scale Falcon and two TIE Fighters.

bigbarada
11-24-2007, 12:34 AM
I'd kinda like a sock-puppet asteroid beast. It could be a playset where the puppet head comes out of a cave hole and the set includes to-scale Falcon and two TIE Fighters.

That would be cool if Hasbro wanted to do something special for the Titanium line; but a Space Slug "puppet" to scale with the action figures would be more along the lines of a sleeping bag.:D

We also need some new TaunTauns, since we're on the topic of beasts, and the new versions of Hoth Luke and Han would just feature special hip articulation so that they can sit on the TaunTauns AND stand on their own. Plus, Han's TaunTaun needs to have the "split belly" feature.

JediTricks
11-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Same goes for a new Hoth Leia since she spends about 70% of the movie in that outfit.The vest comes off, the hair changes, and the hands go from gloved to ungloved, but you make a good point. If they just did the figure with interchangeable heads and hands, and a removable vest, it'd be all good in the hood.

Many of them I would be super stoked for Hasbro to make, but realize that these figures aren't going to exactly blow the doors off of Star Wars collecting. Just look at how badly figures like Torture Rack Han and Smuggler Lando are pegwarming, even though fans have been asking for these figures for years now.I've always argued Smuggler Lando was destined for pegwarming, especially once ALL the other ESB Lando figures started pegwarming - Lando only sells as a Skiff Guard for some reason.

Torture Han I think would sell better if he was a better figure, if the accessory was better detailed, and if he weren't even-packed with Lando, Gen McQuarrie, and 4-LOM. The case doesn't carry anything from prior waves forward, so it's a solid wave which is unusual after waves 1 and 2, if the items aren't carefully balanced and the OTHER waves aren't even-packed the same way, you end up building up pegwarmers fast and it eventually slows everything in the wave down - even Concept Vader is slower.

We also need some new TaunTauns, since we're on the topic of beasts, and the new versions of Hoth Luke and Han would just feature special hip articulation so that they can sit on the TaunTauns AND stand on their own. Plus, Han's TaunTaun needs to have the "split belly" feature.Yes, absolutely on all points! And if they have to do running action gimmick on Luke's again, at least make it so the legs rest at the standing position instead of a walking position.

Kidhuman
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Black Bespin Guard

Playsets would be great. Dagobah, Bespin, Hoth stuff also.

2-1B
11-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I've always argued Smuggler Lando was destined for pegwarming, especially once ALL the other ESB Lando figures started pegwarming - Lando only sells as a Skiff Guard for some reason.

Skiff Lando was one of my definite favorites as a kid, I loved the removeable helmet disguise and suspect that others are drawn to figures like this for the same reason. It's a great added play value.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
We seem to be reaching the end of figures to make for ESB. Even counting resculpts, I don't really see more than 1 or 2 really strong waves of ESB figures.

1. Medical Frigate Luke
2. Medical Frigate Leia
3. Torryn Farr
4. Captain Needa
6. Carbonite Chamber Han with Carbonite Block - all the previous Carbonite Han's have been from ROTJ where his shirt is dirtied up and brown. This would be coat-off, clean white shirt with a resculpted, correctly-scaled Carbonite Block. Should include both sets of shackles, but make them removable.

Resculpts would include:
2. Hoth Luke
3. Hoth Leia
5. Bespin Han
6. Bespin Escape Leia
7. Pull-apart Threepio
12. Snowspeeder Wedge
15. Zuckuss
16. Captain Piett
18. Probe Droid
19. Dengar (almost not necessary at all, just a little lacking in the articulation department)
20. AT-AT Commander (the General Veers figure is too large to fit in the AT-AT, so make a new version with sculpted on body armor and helmet and get rid of the soft plastic "skirt" so that he can sit properly)

None of these, however, feel exciting or fresh, they're just necessary (some more necessary than others).

And since they have to cram a Vader in there somewhere, the only possible one that could be made would be a kneeling Vader with a giant holographic Emperor head.

I'd buy most if not all of the figures, though a few of them are most exciting than others.

Toryn Farr-make a leia and retool, simple enough you'd think!
Medical Frigate Luke and Leia, two must haves.
Needa, why not?
Snowspeeder Pilots, most of them if not all of them.
Zuckuss
Dengar

Those would be the highlights for me.

JON9000
11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Those to me are the 3 biggest needs now that speeder luke is done. I expect we'll see a really nice Bespin Han and Leia Hoth in the VOTC line. The one I am worried about is the Bespin Guard. I know he didn't sell for squat in the POTJ line, but that figure just flat-out sucked for a $7 price point. I would buy several nicely done ones!

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
You thought the Bespin Guard sucked? Wow. I thought he was one of the better figures, especially at the time.

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Ditto, I bought several at a time when I wasn't army-building.

stillakid
11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
That would be cool if Hasbro wanted to do something special for the Titanium line; but a Space Slug "puppet" to scale with the action figures would be more along the lines of a sleeping bag.:D

That's kind of a cool idea actually. When your not recreating the asteroid sequence in ESB, you can curl up for a nap inside a space slug. :thumbsup:

JON9000
11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
You thought the Bespin Guard sucked? Wow. I thought he was one of the better figures, especially at the time.

In my mind, POTJ had a great range of quality, from pretty awesome (the queen mother of all droids, FX-7) to downright awful way beyond sucking(choco-Obi-wan). I put POTJ Bespin Guard about in the lower middle of the line-up (although I cannot remember all of them, I confess my mind may be skewing towards the ones I loved) and it sat.

Although, I guess being awesome doesn't guarantee movement, as Effie sat around for a year after just about everything else was gone!

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 03:58 AM
Wave 1 of POTJ doesn't count as it was scheduled for the Ep 1 line and just transferred over, it wasn't part of Galoob's managing.

But I'd absolutely put the Bespin Guard in the upper range, despite the earliest versions having a little trouble with the jacket.

bigbarada
11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I thought the POTJ Bespin Guard was a great figure. He was just too tall and to oriental to army build (and believe me I tried to army build him :o ), plus I don't really remember seeing a really tall oriental guy in the movie. But as an individual figure, he was one of the best of 2001.

stillakid
12-01-2007, 01:23 AM
plus I don't really remember seeing a really tall oriental guy in the movie.

There's a McDonald's on Bespin.

(and the "proper" term, I've been told, is "Asian." The word "oriental" describes a rug.)

JediTricks
12-01-2007, 02:52 AM
He's not especially tall, mine is next to my Cloud Car pilot, they're roughly the same height.

Gothiczartan
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM

1. Medical Frigate Luke
2. Medical Frigate Leia
3. Torryn Farr
4. Captain Needa

Resculpts would include:
2. Hoth Luke
3. Hoth Leia
5. Bespin Han
6. Bespin Escape Leia
7. Pull-apart Threepio
12. Snowspeeder Wedge
15. Zuckuss
16. Captain Piett
18. Probe Droid

the snowspeeder pilots, I hope they make them in new sculpt and correct movie accurate! especially luke and wedge!

are you going to post TPM - what's left, ROTS - what's left, ANH - what's left?, and ROTJ - what's left?

I have a list of characters that not yet made figures that including ones that not yet resculpt and retooled also (like lando with a cape removable)

bigbarada
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
are you going to post TPM - what's left, ROTS - what's left, ANH - what's left?, and ROTJ - what's left?

I have a list of characters that not yet made figures that including ones that not yet resculpt and retooled also (like lando with a cape removable)

I hadn't planned to because ESB is the only movie of the entire Saga that is actually close to being done in terms of action figures.

With the Prequels, you could write lists for days of Podracers, Jedi, Senators, Separatists, Tattooine residents, Clonetroopers..... etc.

For ANH and ROTJ, there are still plenty of characters from the Cantina, Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace to be made, not to mention Rebels Troopers and Pilots from both films and exactly 763 Ewoks (okay, I made that number up).

So unless you wanted to start digging into random Bespin residents and differentiating between Ugnaughts, then there's really not much left to do for ESB.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-04-2007, 01:48 PM
From your list, I would like a Medical Frigate Luke with interchangeable open and closed forearm.

Like the 70's bionic man figure...just on a wee smaller scale ;) I remember his 'role-up' skin feature to reveal his 'bionics'

We definitely NEED a resculpt of hoth rebel soldiers. It would be great if they did that for the new vintage line, if they start it up again, me hopes :yes:

Battle Droid
12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
A new SA Imperial Probe Droid w/ Hyperspace Pod and clear plastic display stand.

Give me that and I'll be happy.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
A new SA Imperial Probe Droid w/ Hyperspace Pod and clear plastic display stand.

Give me that and I'll be happy.

Sweet choice! Can it be painted black?

Gothiczartan
12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I hadn't planned to because ESB is the only movie of the entire Saga that is actually close to being done in terms of action figures.

With the Prequels, you could write lists for days of Podracers, Jedi, Senators, Separatists, Tattooine residents, Clonetroopers..... etc.

For ANH and ROTJ, there are still plenty of characters from the Cantina, Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace to be made, not to mention Rebels Troopers and Pilots from both films and exactly 763 Ewoks (okay, I made that number up).

So unless you wanted to start digging into random Bespin residents and differentiating between Ugnaughts, then there's really not much left to do for ESB.

ok take your time to list them and list the vehicles and sets not yet made if that would keep the star wars toy line going strong in the force.

Cane_Adiss
12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Don't forget Treva Horme, Wiorkettle, and bespin security trooper Utris M'toc. Even tho you can't really see them well (Utris had more of a role I think but he was cut completely out of the movie) they were still from Bespin. They would make better figures I think than Willrow Hood. I still don't understand why that whole thing was started, he's not really that cool looking.

2-1B
12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I blame the Decipher card game for giving every onscreen Extra a name.

And a backstory. :yawn:

Cane_Adiss
12-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I blame the Decipher card game for giving every onscreen Extra a name.

And a backstory. :yawn:

Is that a problem? This line would get pretty boring if Hasbro didn't make figures of background aliens on top of the many multiple redundant versions of core characters like Vader, Luke, Han, Anakin, Clone troopers etc. Every cantina alien is essentially an extra, and not too many people complain about them. Much of the Expanded Universe also would not exist if some of these obscure characters weren't given backstories.

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah, where's my Del Goren? "Enemy fighters coming your way."

2-1B
12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Is that a problem?

Yes and No. :)

This line would get pretty boring if Hasbro didn't make figures of background aliens on top of the many multiple redundant versions of core characters like Vader, Luke, Han, Anakin, Clone troopers etc. Every cantina alien is essentially an extra, and not too many people complain about them.

Agreed 100% on the above. :)

However, my post was only meant in answer to Willrow Hood, a very boring looking human extra that runs through a crowd and got plucked out of obscurity. He's not like a Pote Sniktin or anything like that.

Much of the Expanded Universe also would not exist if some of these obscure characters weren't given backstories.

Well, that's where I think it moves into the "bad thing" category. :crazed:

bigbarada
12-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Is that a problem? This line would get pretty boring if Hasbro didn't make figures of background aliens on top of the many multiple redundant versions of core characters like Vader, Luke, Han, Anakin, Clone troopers etc. Every cantina alien is essentially an extra, and not too many people complain about them. Much of the Expanded Universe also would not exist if some of these obscure characters weren't given backstories.

I don't see how not having a backstory would prevent onscreen aliens from being made. Did you not collect during the vintage days? We had a figure like Squidhead. All we knew about him was his nickname and a photo of him from ROTJ. That's it. No, stats on the back of the card, no books written about him. Just a goofy nickname and a picture.

That's how it should be. This way kids can come up with their own stories for the characters and use the action figures as a springboard for their imaginations and not just endlessly recreate the movie, ad nauseum.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't see how not having a backstory would prevent onscreen aliens from being made. Did you not collect during the vintage days? We had a figure like Squidhead. All we knew about him was his nickname and a photo of him from ROTJ. That's it. No, stats on the back of the card, no books written about him. Just a goofy nickname and a picture.

That's how it should be. This way kids can come up with their own stories for the characters and use the action figures as a springboard for their imaginations and not just endlessly recreate the movie, ad nauseum.

I gotta agree with you, just because characters don't have a back story doesn't mean they will not get figures made of them. (Though i do think back stories help them get made) In the Kenner days before the EU, before the prequels, characters where just called stupid little nick names, i mean how many years was it before hammer-head became Momaw Nadon (SP?)? And as a kid Hammer-Head was my favorite "Bounty Hunter" who even gave Fett a run for his money...Not to mention Fett also joined Cobra when i was a kid but thats neither here not there, the point is figures are good for kids when they use their imagination and play along, who cares if little Timmy wants Han Solo to carry a lightsaber? Who cares if Bib Fortuna is the other Yoda spoke about? Point is for the kiddies imagination is the key and should be encouraged.

And again EU fans like myself owe a great deal to characters like "Walrus Man" "Squid Head", and the other countless denziens of back ground characters to the movies, but you hit the nail on the head in your whole statement.

Engineernerd
12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
... Who cares if Bib Fortuna is the other Yoda spoke about? Point is for the kiddies imagination is the key and should be encouraged....

Wow. I'd have never thought of that as a kid. It would take feverish dreams after a few beers and bowls of chilli to come up with it today.

Cane_Adiss
12-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Personally, I like reading about the backstories of my favorite background characters. I realize that a character doesn't have to have a backstory to become a figure but it's interesting to me. I don't play with my toys like I used to, but I know that knowing the backstory of Momaw Nadon didn't prevent me from making him President of my Star Wars figures when i was little. In fact, I still have my original POTF2 Momaw and it's still proudly displayed in the center of my collection and when I die he'll be cremated right along with me! ;)

P.S. I was originally defending the fact that Decipher named and gave brief bios to otherwise unknown characters. What's so wrong with them doing that?

Sinscia Fat'o
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow. I'd have never thought of that as a kid. It would take feverish dreams after a few beers and bowls of chilli to come up with it today.

And that was for dinner!

And Cane, i agree with alot of what you said. I actually agree with alot of what everyone is saying in this conversation. Imagination being good for kids, and even a few collectors who don't know or don't care who some of the characters in the background where, but loves star wars.

And i loved Deciphers efforts to give more backgrounds stories, alot of those characters i love from the background today would not have anything about them if not for Decpiher and West End Games (the maker of the D6 pen and paper RPG game.) And as a adult collector i don't play with my figures, i'm actually more of a carded collector, and only open figures that will make my book shelves look more lively, but i do enjoy reading about my favorite back ground characters and do so alot, mainly because A.) I love star wars EU and Movies. B.) I just like to read, and star wars is what i enjoy reading about.

But for kids they don't care who 90% of the background guys are, and they should be encouraged not to care, until they get older and actually want to follow the exploits of their favorite character or the saga in general...It's acward to see both sides of the coin on this one.

Did anyone actually play the old Decipher CCG? Awesome game. many of hours at the local comic shop i worked at playing that thing.

Gothiczartan
12-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I'd buy most if not all of the figures, though a few of them are most exciting than others.

Toryn Farr-make a leia and retool, simple enough you'd think!
Medical Frigate Luke and Leia, two must haves.
Needa, why not?
Snowspeeder Pilots, most of them if not all of them.
Zuckuss
Dengar

Those would be the highlights for me.

snowspeeder pilots better be whole enitre new sculpt, not the Zev mold! they will have ball jointed neck/shoudlers/elbows/knees/ankles, swivel wrist and waist and OF COURSE! a removable helmet with chin strap (luke helmet mold will be ok?)

pegger
12-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Here's my list of figs still "needed" for ESB - no particular order:

C-3P0 with no leg (holding leg in hand)
ghost Obi Wan - hood down (hoth)
Lando with no cape
Han in hoth parka - parka open.
Leia medical frigate
Leia in hoth gear
Luke in medical garb
Luke in Orange jumpsuit
Luke in Snowspeeder gear
Luke Medical frigate/mechanical hand
R2-D2 with welder
Large mouse droid
Multi-armed droid
R5-M2
U-3P0
White IG-88
Captain Needa
Holo imperial captain
Imperial Leutenant
Imperial officer in grey uniform
Imperial officer white uniform with black hat
Bespin black guard
Bespin technician
Wilrow Hood
Jansen
Hoth Rebel - Black parka
Hoth Rebel - Orange Park
Toryn Farr
Wedge in snowspeeder gear

that's 29.

Also assorted Hoth rebels (in parkas), snowspeeder pilots would be nice. But I'm a sucker for those.

Gothiczartan
12-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Here's my list of figs still "needed" for ESB - no particular order:

C-3P0 with no leg (holding leg in hand)
ghost Obi Wan - hood down (hoth)
Lando with no cape
Han in hoth parka - parka open.
Leia medical frigate
Leia in hoth gear
Luke in medical garb
Luke in Orange jumpsuit
Luke in Snowspeeder gear
Luke Medical frigate/mechanical hand
R2-D2 with welder
Large mouse droid
Multi-armed droid
R5-M2
U-3P0
White IG-88
Captain Needa
Holo imperial captain
Imperial Leutenant
Imperial officer in grey uniform
Imperial officer white uniform with black hat
Bespin black guard
Bespin technician
Wilrow Hood
Jansen
Hoth Rebel - Black parka
Hoth Rebel - Orange Park
Toryn Farr
Wedge in snowspeeder gear

that's 29.

Also assorted Hoth rebels (in parkas), snowspeeder pilots would be nice. But I'm a sucker for those.

you forgot to list hobbie as snowspeeder pilot!

pegger
12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
you forgot to list hobbie as snowspeeder pilot!

In my mind, he's under:

Also assorted Hoth rebels (in parkas), snowspeeder pilots would be nice. But I'm a sucker for those.!

Gothiczartan
12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
In my mind, he's under:

that's fine as long as they all be newly sculpted pilots

bigbarada
01-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Considering how big some figure accessories have been getting, is it possible that we could get a new Probe Droid carded in the standard line and not packaged as a deluxe figure or as a part of a battle pack? Would it really be that much bigger than Ephant Mon or Hermi?

jedi master sal
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Considering how big some figure accessories have been getting, is it possible that we could get a new Probe Droid carded in the standard line and not packaged as a deluxe figure or as a part of a battle pack? Would it really be that much bigger than Ephant Mon or Hermi?

Actually if disassembled, it could easily fit within the large bubbles as Ephont Mon and Hermi Odle did.

I just don't think Hasbro wants to waste their efforts on a new Probe droid. That would have been a great pack-in for the Hoth Ultra pack.

JediTricks
01-04-2008, 04:08 AM
The probe droid is a pretty wide body, it'd have to have the head taken off the body, and the arms taken off the body, and the antennae taken off the head - they generally don't like to do that much disassembly for basic figures because it no longer looks dynamic. I think amount of articulation needed in the arms would probably put the brakes on this thing as a basic fig though, it needs a lot of sculpted detail and parts which costs extra in tooling and they've already said they're dialing back the basic line's costs next year.

That said, I think they do need to do a new Imperial Probe Droid finally, the original is pretty good still but by modern standards it's not all it could be, and that thing does have quite the impact in its short amount of screentime.

bigbarada
01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
The probe droid is a pretty wide body, it'd have to have the head taken off the body, and the arms taken off the body, and the antennae taken off the head - they generally don't like to do that much disassembly for basic figures because it no longer looks dynamic. I think amount of articulation needed in the arms would probably put the brakes on this thing as a basic fig though, it needs a lot of sculpted detail and parts which costs extra in tooling and they've already said they're dialing back the basic line's costs next year.

That said, I think they do need to do a new Imperial Probe Droid finally, the original is pretty good still but by modern standards it's not all it could be, and that thing does have quite the impact in its short amount of screentime.

ARGGHHH!!!:upset: Nothing like a nice dose of reality to ruin a great idea.:(

decadentdave
01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
If they're dialing back the basic lines costs, why are they releasing 10 new vehicles this year including the uber-expensive AT-TE and the rumored new scale Millenium Falcon? For the Probe Droid, it can be disassembled to lay flat in a package tray or even have all of the parts spilt among different figures. I heard somewhere that this was a proposed idea to split up super-accessories among carded figures since the coins are over.

bigbarada
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
If they're dialing back the basic lines costs, why are they releasing 10 new vehicles this year including the uber-expensive AT-TE and the rumored new scale Millenium Falcon? For the Probe Droid, it can be disassembled to lay flat in a package tray or even have all of the parts spilt among different figures. I heard somewhere that this was a proposed idea to split up super-accessories among carded figures since the coins are over.

Maybe the Probe Droid will be the BAF (Build-A-Figure) for 2008. That would be cool.

pegger
01-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Maybe the Probe Droid will be the BAF (Build-A-Figure) for 2008. That would be cool.

That was my thought too.

jjreason
01-05-2008, 10:26 AM
That would work perfectly, BigB. A whole new wave of 5 or 6 Hoth themed figures that will lead to a new, awesome Probot!

1. Hoth Rebel Trooper - a real one this time, and they could even make 2 variant heads for army builders

2. VTAC Snowtrooper re-release - no brainer.

3. Torryn Far (we don't need the screen, it came with Rieeken a few years back).

4. VTAC Han re-release with "hood up" as shown when we first saw the figure (but honestly, I'd rather have a real good "Hoth Escape" Bespin Han!!!)

5. Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot (all-new, as per Gothiczartan's excellent suggestions :thumbsup: )... though I'd rather have a Dagobah crash landing version, looking wet & muddy (call me crazy).

6. Hoth Chewie repack from the Tin Set - but maybe improve upon the snow deco a little.

That gives them lots of "easy" figures to do - half repaints & releases anyhow.

bigbarada
01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
That would work perfectly, BigB. A whole new wave of 5 or 6 Hoth themed figures that will lead to a new, awesome Probot!

1. Hoth Rebel Trooper - a real one this time, and they could even make 2 variant heads for army builders

2. VTAC Snowtrooper re-release - no brainer.

3. Torryn Far (we don't need the screen, it came with Rieeken a few years back).

4. VTAC Han re-release with "hood up" as shown when we first saw the figure (but honestly, I'd rather have a real good "Hoth Escape" Bespin Han!!!)

5. Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot (all-new, as per Gothiczartan's excellent suggestions :thumbsup: )... though I'd rather have a Dagobah crash landing version, looking wet & muddy (call me crazy).

6. Hoth Chewie repack from the Tin Set - but maybe improve upon the snow deco a little.

That gives them lots of "easy" figures to do - half repaints & releases anyhow.

I would love that! Especially considering how ESB was kind of "shunned" this year with only one standard figure assortment (and kind of a weak one at that). So, it'd be great to see more attention paid to the my favorite film in the saga.

About the Hoth Rebel Troopers, those guys seem to be kind of a conundrum. There seems to be three main uniforms that the Rebel troopers wore on Hoth:

1. the commander uniform that we see on figures like Major Derlin, Gen. McQuarrie, and Rieekan.

2. the uniform Luke wore on the TaunTaun, which we see on all the Hoth Luke figures and the vintage Rebel Soldier.

3. the uniform that the troops wore in the trenches of Hoth, that we saw on the vintage Rebel Commander and all three version of the modern Hoth Rebel Soldier (POTF2, POTF2 Deluxe, Saga).

Seeing as how people know the names of Cantina aliens with less than a millisecond of screen time. Maybe someone out there knows what the deal is with the Hoth Rebel uniforms.

decadentdave
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Careful. Even mentioning a re-release of the VTAC Snowtrooper is sure to create discontent from some who think the removeable helmet is "infecting" the OT. lol

El Chuxter
01-05-2008, 09:29 PM
It is. I put my VTAC Snowtrooper in with my other ESB figures, and the next morning, my Hoth Luke, Yoda, and Spirit Obi-Wan all had Jango heads! :eek:

stillakid
01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Careful. Even mentioning a re-release of the VTAC Snowtrooper is sure to create discontent from some who think the removeable helmet is "infecting" the OT. lol

Infecting doesn't need to be in quotes. :D

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
If they're dialing back the basic lines costs, why are they releasing 10 new vehicles this year including the uber-expensive AT-TE and the rumored new scale Millenium Falcon? Well, 1) those are rumors at this point which may or may not come to pass, even if they are in the Target system that may just be prelim data that never comes to fruition, which has happened in the past;
-and-
2) those are not basic figures, the basic figs have their own budget and scaling down within that is separate from doing ships.

For the Probe Droid, it can be disassembled to lay flat in a package trayWhich I just suggested, but as I pointed out, it would be unattractive and lack display value which Hasbro feels strongly about these days.

or even have all of the parts spilt among different figures. I heard somewhere that this was a proposed idea to split up super-accessories among carded figures since the coins are over.The "BAF" concept (Build-A-Figure) is at this point a rumor, one which I believe Hasbro shot down recently.

pegger
01-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Now that I'm home - I found my latest, up to date, list of possible characters - and whether they were made or not, in order of appearance for ESB. Based on what I could see watching ESB-SE. Ones not made yet are bolded.

Characters Have

1 Probot yes
2 Luke - Hoth Gear (face covered) yes
3 Luke - Hoth Gear (face uncovered - no scar) no
4 Wampa yes
5 Luke - Hoth Gear (post Wampa attack) yes
6 Hoth Soldier yes
7 Snowspeeder Pilot no
8 Hoth rebel Techs no
9 Han - Hoth Gear (hooded) no
10 Han - Hoth Gear (unhooded) yes
11 R5-black top no
12 R3-A2 yes
13 Gonk Droid yes
14 R-3P0 yes
15 Multi-armed droid no
16 Treadwell yes
17 Chewie as mechanic yes
18 Red and white R2 no
19 Rebel - Orange Parka no
20 Han in jacket yes
21 Toryn Farr no
22 Leia - Hoth Gear yes
23 K-3P0 yes
24 Reeikan yes
25 R2-D2 yes
26 C-3P0 yes
27 Bren yes
28 2-1B yes
29 R2 with scanner no
30 Ghost of Obi Wan (hood up) no
31 Zev (Rogue 2) yes
32 FX-7 yes
33 Luke in Bacta yes
34 Luke in medical garb no
35 R3-Y2 yes
36 winter chewie yes
37 Darth Vader yes
38 Death Star trooper yes
39 Imperial officer black uniform yes
40 Ozzel yes
41 Veers yes
42 Piett yes
43 Imperial officer white uniform with black hat no
44 Han - Hoth gear - parka open no
45 Luke in Orange jumpsuit no
46 Luke in snowspeeder gear yes
47 Rebel Dispatcher no
48 X-wing fighter pilot (no helmet) no
49 X-wing fighter pilot no
50 Dak yes
51 Hoth Rebel Troopers Commander no
52 AT-AT driver yes
53 Veers in armor yes
54 Holo Vader yes
55 Wedge in snowspeeder gear no
56 Jansen no
57 snowtrooper (officer) yes
58 Hoth Rebel Trooper with beard yes
59 snowtrooper (grunt) yes
60 snowtrooper with cannon yes
61 R2-D2 with light scope yes
62 Dabogah R2-D2 yes
63 Vader with removeable helmet (back of head only) yes
64 Dagobah Luke (jacket) yes
65 Yoda yes
66 Holo imperial captain no
67 mouse droid yes
68 holo emperor yes
69 han with welding goggles no
70 chewie with welding goggles no
71 Han with airmask yes
72 Leia with airmask yes
73 Chewie with air mask yes
74 Luke with backpack yes
75 Yoda in backpack yes
76 Dagobah Luke without jacket/backpack yes
77 Ghost Vader (luke face) yes
78 Dengar yes
79 IG88 yes
80 Boba Fett yes
81 Bossk yes
82 4-Lom yes
83 Zuckuss yes
84 Captain Needa no
85 Cloud car pilot yes
86 Lando with cape yes
87 Lobot yes
88 Bespin white Guard yes
89 Bespin black guard no
90 Bespin technician no
91 U-3P0 no
92 ghost Obi Wan hood down yes
93 Leia Bespin Gown yes
94 Ugnaught yes
95 White IG-88 no
96 Bespin civilian (male human) no
97 Bespin civilian (female human) no
98 Bespin civilian (alien) no
99 Stormtrooper yes
100 Toture rack Han yes
101 Han - shirt out no
102 Bespin Escape Leia yes
103 Lando without cape no
104 Prisoner Han (no jacket) no
105 Chewie wcarrying C-3P0 yes
106 Han in carbonite yes
107 R2-D2 with data link (thin) no
108 Willrow Hood no
109 R2-D2 with data link (thick) no
110 R2-D2 with extinguisher no
111 Luke with no hand yes
112 Luke in blanket no
113 Large mouse droid no
114 R2-D2 with welder no
115 C-3P0 with no leg no
116 Luke with bacta on hand yes
117 R2 with claw arm no
118 Lando - smuggler gear yes
119 Luke Medical frigate no
120 Leia medical frigate no

Which is 45 possible figures - not including headswaps, etc.. of rebel troopers or imperials. Of course - some can be done with accessories only, etc. Just pointing out possibles.

Resculpts I feel that are needed are:
Piett
Leia in Hoth gear
Luke in snowspeeder gear
Dak
Luke with no hand
Luke with bacta on hand