PDA

View Full Version : Blind DVD buys

Rocketboy
11-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Looking at my DVD collection yesterday and I realized that I have quite a few DVDs I've purchased on a blind buy, based on what other people said or something I wanted to see but missed (and usually found a great deal).
I also realized that I've only watched a little over half of them, something I need to remedy.

Out of the ones actually I have watched, I feel like I've had pretty good luck IMO:
16 Blocks - On sale for $10 (IIRC). Wanted to see in theaters, but never got a chance. I was surprised how much I liked it.
Big Fish - Another I wanted to see in theaters, but never got the chance.
Children of Men - Based on others reviews and it didn't play for very long in theaters here.
Donnie Darko (Director's Cut) - A movie I wanted to see for a long time and decided to buy it when the DC was released.
The Exorcist - The only blind buy I've been truly disappointed with. I'm sure it was terrifying when it was released, but I was bored throughout.
Flyboys - Another that disappeared fro theaters too fast and Slicker's stamp approval was good enough for me.
Heat - Deniro? Pacino? Kilmer? Portman? Sale? Sold!
Heroes Season 1 - a semi-blind buy. I watched the first 3 episodes on tv then missed the next few. I loved what I saw so I decided to wait for the DVD instead of trying to play catch up after missing episodes.
King Arthur - Never got a chance to see in theaters.
King Kong (1933) - I'd only seen bits and pieces over the years. The hype of the remake, restored cut and the massive documentary sold me.
King Kong (2005) - Even after buying the original and loving it somehow I missed it.
Leon: The Professional - Another semi-blind buy. I saw the US theatrical cut of The Professional and loved it. When I saw this 30 minute longer extended international version I snagged it.
The Pianist - Based again on Slick's recommendation.
Requiem for a Dream - I wanted to see it for a long time, but every video store had the edited version. When the original cut was on sale I bought it.
A Simple Plan - From the $5.50 bin at Walmart. I wanted to read the book first but I didn't.
Sin City - Still not sure how I missed it when it was in theaters. I would typically be there opening night for an awesome comic book movie.
Talladega Nights - I'd loved all previous Will Ferrell movies, so I assumed this one would be just as funny. I was wrong. Very wrong.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake) - On sale last Halloween for like $7.00. Surprised myself buying this since I'm not much of a horror movie fan.
Training Day - A gift from mom one year. I guess she thought I'd like it (I did).

Yet to watch:
The Aviator, Click, Little Miss Sunshine, Man on Fire, Million Dollar Baby, Munich, Ocean's Twelve, Sleepers, Thirteen Days, A Time to Kill, Ultraviolet, THX 1138, Empire of the Sun, Letters from Iwo Jima, Veronica Mars Seasons 1 & 2.

Anyone else have a great/horrible blind buys?

El Chuxter
11-24-2007, 02:19 AM
Most of my blind buys have been good ones, but I've got to say that Clerks 2 was the glaring exception.

Counting down until someone stops in to tell me I'm an idiot....

Sorry, guys. I like Kevin Smith, but you don't transcend the fart jokes with something like Jersey Girl, making us expect things like story and variety in the future, and then revert to something that's like Mallrats but a lot more forced (and hold the "funny").

2-1B
11-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Don't worry Chux, I won't tell you you're an idiot for your views on Clerks 2...I'm still disgusted by your appreciation for Talladega Nights that I can't dedicate the time needed to a Clerks 2 protest. lol

Rocketboy,
The Exorcist is one of my favorite movies but not just as a horror film, rather I like the Faith angle of it...and the struggle with faith and all that stuff that the story was based on.

Kidhuman
11-24-2007, 05:48 AM
From your yet to have watched list, I have seen the following.
Click - decnetly funny, not too bad a movie.
Little Miss Sunshine - Pretty funny flick. Worth a watch
Man on Fire - saw pieces of it, seemed good.
Million Dollar Baby - I liked tis movie. Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, whats not to like?
Ocean's Twelve - Oceans 11 + 1, about it
Sleepers - I know I saw this but cant remember what its about. If its about the 4 guys that kill Kevin Bacon then it kicks ***, if not, I dont know
A Time to Kill - Great Flick, Loved it
Ultraviolet - Not good at all.

I havent done too many blind purchases. Usually I will await them to come on HBO, Max, Starz or Shotime and watch them, then go buy them. The only blind purchase I am going to make after the holidays is Firefly and Serenity. Everyone loves them, so I figure I will give it a chance.

Rocketboy
11-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Edited the first post.
In the "What have you seen recently?" thread I realized I neglected to mention my worst blind buy yet - Talladega Nights.

DarthQuack
11-24-2007, 09:03 AM
I enjoyed Clerks 2 a lot and still do....just for the record.

My best blind buy had to be Futurama. Hands down, also Captain N: The Game Master.

El Chuxter
11-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow. Why the hatred toward Talladega Nights?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2007, 12:56 PM
The only ones I can remember are American Graffiti and THX 1138, for obvious reasons. I really like both of them, so it worked out well.

I'm sure there have been a few others . . . Santa Clause 2 and Happy Feet were "blind buys" by my mom for the family, both of which were absolutely terrible. I don't know why we let her do it. :D

2-1B
11-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Wow. Why the hatred toward Talladega Nights?

Cuz it sucked and is one of Will Ferrell's worst movies. :grin: THANK GOD for Blades of Glory which put him back in my graces. :)

UKWildcat
11-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Some of my best blind buys:

28 Days Later - One of my best horror movie blind buys, recommended from a friend and absolutely loved it.
The Departed - Outstanding movie, somehow didn't get around to seeing it in the theater. Picked up the BestBuy Steelbook the day it was released and enjoyed the movie immensely. One of my best blind buys.
Suspiria - One of, if not, the best horror movie blind buys of mine. Definitely the best Argento / Italian horror blind buy.
Glory - Never saw this one before picking up the SE at Columbia House. Watched it one afternoon with my brother and loved it. He enjoyed it too and bought it shortly after.
Jacob's Ladder - Speaking of my brother, I purchased this movie from him, years ago, having never seen it. He was going to sell it so I bought it from him instead. Great movie, and I am still, to this day, trying to get him to watch it (he bought it having never seen it too).
Shaun of the Dead - Best horror/comedy blind buy, easily.
Grindhouse (Planet Terror/Death Proof) - Didn't get around to seeing these in the theater, based on recommendations, and my sole interest in the movies, I picked up both BB Steelbooks. Enjoyed the hell out of both movies too.
The Devil's Rejects - Based on recommendations here at SSG, picked this one up during one of the 20% sales; right when it was released. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the movie and was thankful for the great recommendation's I received from my fellow SSGers.
V for Vendetta - Much like The Departed, this is one of my best blind buy's ever. Awesome movie, can't wait for my HD version to arrive. :D
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Somehow never saw this movie in it's entirety before purchasing the dvd set sometime ago. Watched it one day and found that it is truly a remarkable movie in all aspects of film making.
Pan's Labyrinth - Bought this one because of all the outstanding reviews, and it winning some Academy Awards; the movie/story interested me too of course. Anyways, watched this movie and loved it.
Oldboy - Purchased this one a while ago and found it to be an incredible movie. When the 3-disc Limited Edition was released I upgraded w/o hesitation. Great acting, writing, direction, cinematography... everything. This movie blew my mind the first time I watched it and remains one of my favorites.

I know I am forgetting some, and I'll post them if/when I remember. I'll also start thinking about the worst blind buys too; that is definitely going to be more difficult because I usually sell them or give them away immediately.

General_Grievous
11-24-2007, 11:06 PM
The only blind buy purchase for me was "Friday Night Lights". It was worth it, as I really liked the movie. I don't do blind buys, as I cannot give up $20 on a movie I haven't seen and I have no idea if I'll like it or not. I have no idea how some of you guys can do this. However, looking at your list, UK, all I see are good movies. So you're doing something right with your blind buys.

2-1B
11-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Star Wars was pretty cool, glad I tried that one on a whim.

Kidhuman
11-25-2007, 06:45 AM
I know I am forgetting some, and I'll post them if/when I remember.

The Lost Room

Ji'dai
11-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Once Upon A Time in the West - only paid $7.50 for it off WM's discount rack but had never seen it before. It's often ranked as one of the greatest Westerns ever made so I gave it a shot and was thoroughly impressed. Excellent movie. I've seen copies floating around in WM's $5 bin lately.

Paint Your Wagon - took a chance on this WM $5 DVD and thought it was pretty entertaining. As improbable as it sounds, I thought this musical with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin was fairly enjoyable.

Upcoming Blind Buys:

Futurama: Bender's Big Score - the new straight-to-DVD movie will be out Tuesday. I don't need the Hypnotoad to compel me to buy it without watching it first. Probably pick up a six of Slurm and a bag of Bachelor Chow for some nosh while I watch.

The Simpsons Movie - I'm gonna buy this one even though I somehow missed seeing it while it was in theaters. D'oh!

Rocketboy
11-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't do blind buys, as I cannot give up $20 on a movie I haven't seen and I have no idea if I'll like it or not. I have no idea how some of you guys can do this.The way I see it blind buying (and DVD buying in general) can be cheaper than going to the movies.
If I go to the theater with the wife tickets usually cost anywhere from $12-16 for two, plus any snacks we might get. When a new DVD is released they are typically $15-18 (unless it is a smaller film or a deluxe edition), which is about the same price as going to the theater. Plus I can watch it whenever I want and watch it over and over again.
Besides most of my blind buys have been on sale or really cheap.

General_Grievous
11-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Futurama: Bender's Big Score - the new straight-to-DVD movie will be out Tuesday. I don't need the Hypnotoad to compel me to buy it without watching it first. Probably pick up a six of Slurm and a bag of Bachelor Chow for some nosh will I watch.
Ah, yes. This will be a blind buy for me too, though I don't really see it as a blind buy as I love Futurama.

The way I see it blind buying (and DVD buying in general) can be cheaper than going to the movies.
If I go to the theater with the wife tickets usually cost anywhere from $12-16 for two, plus any snacks we might get. When a new DVD is released they are typically $15-18 (unless it is a smaller film or a deluxe edition), which is about the same price as going to the theater. Plus I can watch it whenever I want and watch it over and over again.
Besides most of my blind buys have been on sale or really cheap.

Well, yeah, but there's always Blockbuster or Netflix.

UKWildcat
11-25-2007, 09:33 PM
The Lost Room

Ahhh, yes. I left out TV shows/ Mini-Series all together. Along with The Lost Room, here are some more that come to mind:

Six Feet Under - F'ing awesome!!! Purchased all five seasons w/o even seeing one episode; I usually wouldn't do this but I got a darn good deal on all seasons which was too good to pass up. Took me like 25 days to watch the entire series and it was simply magnificent. Easily my best TV Show blind buy and this series is one of, if not, my favorite HBO series, and one of my top TV shows in general. Outstanding blind buy.

Dead Like Me - This is another series (seasons one and two) I purchased w/o having seeing an episode. I really enjoyed it while it lasted. The series was cut short so it didn't have the awesome wrap up that SFU had, but it was still a pretty quality show.

Girls Next Door - Got a deal on this series a while back and really enjoyed the show; a guilty pleasure, yes. But what's not to like? Playmates, that are naked half the time btw (the DVD is uncensored), Hefner, parties at The Playboy Mansion, did I mention Playmates?

The only blind buy purchase for me was "Friday Night Lights". It was worth it, as I really liked the movie. I don't do blind buys, as I cannot give up $20 on a movie I haven't seen and I have no idea if I'll like it or not. I have no idea how some of you guys can do this. However, looking at your list, UK, all I see are good movies. So you're doing something right with your blind buys.

On the lines of what RB said, I will almost never drop $15-$20 on a dvd movie having never seen it. Most all of the dvds I purchased I got a deal on; like Columbia House for instance. If you know how to work Columbia House (with codes and what not), you can average your titles out to be in the $5-$7 range, usually around $6 a title; these are new or relatively new releases as well. Then there are the Buy One get One sales, 20% sales, price mistakes and etc., so I hardly pay full price for my blind buys, or my general dvd purchases for that matter; I don't have that kind of money, wish I did though. ;)

And I only blindly purchase something if I read/hear great reviews about it, or if my family or friends recommends something that I may like.

But yea, so far my blind buys have worked fairly well. :) And I'm still thinking about the ones that did not.

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Well, I was going to blind-buy Mr Bean's Holiday. I didn't see it in theaters, because I think it was out for all of three days. Unfortunately, this means it was a bomb, and stores don't run good sales on bombs, especially when they come out four days after Black Friday.

Besides, something tells me this one is going to be $5 by March.

Anyone who doesn't like Mr Bean is an idiot and can go **** themselves if they're smart enough to figure out how to do it.

Rocketboy
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, I was going to blind-buy Mr Bean's Holiday. I didn't see it in theaters, because I think it was out for all of three days. Unfortunately, this means it was a bomb, and stores don't run good sales on bombs, especially when they come out four days after Black Friday.

Besides, something tells me this one is going to be $5 by March.

Anyone who doesn't like Mr Bean is an idiot and can go **** themselves if they're smart enough to figure out how to do it.I ended up watching it online. I enjoyed it but I doubt I'd buy it until its pretty cheap also.
Far better than Bean. That movie sucked and was full of recycled gags and was a disgrace to the genius that is Mr. Bean.

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I remember almost all of the critical reviews for Holiday were really negative. But every one started with, "I guess if you find Mr Bean funny, which I don't...." Then why the hell are you pretending to offer a fair review, d**ktard?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Bean was a disgrace, but it was a disappointment. The only time I really laughed was at the stupid face he drew on Whistler's Mother.