PDA

View Full Version : JediCole Returns

JediCole
02-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Though I have found it difficult to make it to these forums I love as often as I'd like at times, I've never been absent as long as I have since February 1, 2002. That morning, while waking for work, I rolled over and moved one of the cats on the bed. He was startled, thinking he was under attack by another cat and struck, biting me on the left eye! Yes, he bit me on the eye!

Anyway, after a whirlwind tour or the local ER, a trip to the ophthomologist, and then back to the hospital for surgery, by 1 PM that day I was in a hospital bed for four days trying to prevent infection and save my damaged left eye. I'm on the mend, infection in the cornea is on the run, and I am told in about six months time I will be pleased with how good my vision has been restored. But for now it is hourly eye drops and ever decreasing levels of pain as the eye heals. If you've noted my absence, that is why. Viewing a computer screen becomes easier each day and I will return to moderating the Hasbro AOTC section again within a few days.

Special thanks to Bubba Fatt for getting me home from the hospital as Mrs. JediCole was working that day.

And for those of you in the DFW, Texas area, I hope to see you all at the Sci-Fi Expo and Toy Show in late February in Plano!

GNT
02-11-2002, 01:50 AM
Wel.com back,sorry about your eye :( At least your Forum Icon has a meaning now ;)

derek
02-11-2002, 09:00 AM
so, i guess you'll be the guy with the eye patch?:D

sorry about your accident. when i was a kid my brother got bit on the face by our dog and it wouldn't let go, so i know how animals can be. and this was a pretty good dog.

what kind of stuff are at the sci-fi cons in dallas. any exclusive stuff like custom 1/6 figures or heads, or just stuff the scalpers have cleaned off the shelves?

Rollo Tomassi
02-11-2002, 10:01 AM
:Pirate: <----JediCole Smiley.

When I was a kid, my cat scratched my cornea and I, too, was rushed off to the emergency room. They used this nasty jelly stuff on my eye and I had to wear an eyepatch for a week. NOT FUN. Nowhere near as bad as your incident, but fairly traumatic for a ten year old.

I sympathize with ya JC. Here's to a swift recovery.

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Welcome back Jedi Cole. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

master jedi
02-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Welcome back. Hope you recover quickly.

Did you get rid of the cat since then?

General Veers
02-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Welcome Back Jedicole! I hope you will feel better soon. I guess the Avatar you picked is fitting toward your situation.:crazed: ;)

2-1B
02-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Welcome back sir :)

I join the others in wishing you a quick recovery. Take care. :)

chewie
02-11-2002, 06:21 PM
I was out getting my mail from the front of my house one day, when my own cat, for no reason, attacked my arm about as ferociously as could be imagined. Within a few seconds, both my arms were covered in scratches. Its been almost 4 years later, and now I have a 1.5inch scar on my right wrist, a 3 inch scar on the underside of my lower right arm, several smaller scratches on the top of my right hand, and a 3 inch long scar on my left lower arm.

I didn't even do anything to the cat.

GNT
02-12-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by chewie
I didn't even do anything to the cat.

Cats,who do they think they are!Sheesh! :rolleyes:

JediTricks
02-12-2002, 09:46 AM
And that folks is why my cat isn't allowed in my room when I sleep.

Sorry to hear about your poison eye Cole, that's awful. If you can help it, try to avoid getting a corneal transplant, my grandpa got one a couple years ago and it didn't work out well. At least you can now go to costume parties as Captain Typho. ;) Sorry, bad joke and inappropriate Smilie. Hee hee...

:Pirate:

JediCole
02-12-2002, 11:29 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread. Your kind words have been most welcome and it is because of my personal fondness for this site and the community here that I went to the trouble to post this thread.

For those who noticed my avatar, I deliberatly changed it due to the irony of the Evan Piel character. Especially given that it is the left eye that I now hold closed most of the time. Mrs. JediCole and I went to the doctor again today and he is very happy with the progress, reducing the regemin on the brutal eye drops from hourly by day, every other hour by night to once every three hours.

For those of you who made jokes, please don';t feel bad. Honestly they are most welcome. It is my own stoic sense of humor about this situation that makes it bearable. My best friend asked when he called me at the hospital the next morning, "Can I get you anything? A parrot?" Needless to say, this kind of freak accident is the stuff of legend at the hospital. And a source of much humor at home and with friends and family, and I welcome it all. If I can't laugh at this, then it becomes a tragedy. For me it is more an annyoyance. I've been telling people to be sure not to use tuna flavored eye wash as a result of this incident!

Finally, for those concerned about the infmaous Dan (the attack cat), he is alive and well snd still a welcome member of the JediCole household. My father is a veterinarian and I grew up in that enviornemnt. Thusly I have seen the "nature of the beast" in all manor of pets over the years. I have no illusions about my pets, and never have, that they are first and foremost, animals. No matter how much they seem to care for us and how domestic they have become, deep in their makeup is the instinct of the wild. And at times they display natural behaviors that we as pet owners often regard as "unnantural". So, needless to say, Mr. Dan has lost his bedroom privlages, but is otherwise safe and sound.

Also, the Sci-Fi Expo in Plano sports the expected mix of bargains and scalpers. And even bargain scalpers. One thing I love about these shows is to go to the table of soneone who three months ago had the "latest, hottest" stuff at outrageous prices and at the latest show are blowing out that stuff in order to scalp this month's "latest, hottest" stuff. So if you are patient, you can often find some great deals. And there is always a good mix of vintage and new, cheap and overpriced, and a mix of all kinds of collectibles. Plus the requisite bootleg video types, who I regard as teh worst of the worst.

Emperor Howdy
02-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Well, Eye for one find these jokes to be the cornea-st one's Eye've ever seen! Cone you believe the audacity? As a mattcataract, you need to lens this man an apology........Eye don't know why Eye even sty.

Sidiously Darth
02-13-2002, 02:41 AM
Yo Howdy, put a "Lid" on it! Is your sense of decency on the "Blink"? I'm "Blinded" by your lack of sensitivity....He He He!:p

Anyway JC, hope you feel better soon!

TeeEye7
02-13-2002, 07:54 AM
No 'eye' jokes, in my direction, please ;)

Obi-Don
02-13-2002, 09:56 AM
Emperor Howdy EYE worry about you. Do they let you out at night?LOL

Anywho,I hope your eye gets better real soon and get a dog for the cat.That teach him.:D

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Hope you get better JC. Pesky cats, when will they learn.

buba-fatt
02-13-2002, 11:11 PM
while you were out, did the lone ranger put a tap on your phone? i'm glad to see that one of those quotes was put to good use. oh..and im glad your back too blah blah blah.
p.s. eye eye eye...no mi gusta el gato!

Rollo Tomassi
02-14-2002, 04:23 PM
"Do you need anything? A parrot?"

That's GONK!in' funny.:D