PDA

View Full Version : Collectors who stopped collecting sideshow?

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Am I the only collector who has simply stopped collecting sideshow, due to the limited quantities available?
If I can't have it all, I don't want any of it.
Vital pieces in limited supply?
What's next, selling Darth Vader without his lightsaber?
Unless of course you are one of the first 50 people.
When is enough enough?
Who would buy these figures if they were $30 bucks instead of $300?
100 times the people, then hey, why not Sideshow?

And now playsets?
Are you kidding me?
We may get the cantina, but
only the first 25 will have booths.

Is it me?

Mvader91
11-24-2007, 01:44 AM
I have to tell ya, seeing several pieces at C4 for 20 dollars less than Sideshow's ridiculous prices has completely turned me off.

El Chuxter
11-24-2007, 03:20 AM
I stopped after I realized how much I'd dropped on four or five that have yet to be taken out of their boxes.

Bosskman
11-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I won't stop till I had enough.......

Blue2th
11-24-2007, 12:02 PM
The last one I bought was the Palpatine Sidious 2-pack.
Let's see, I missed:
Luke Yavin
Luke Bespin
Leia Tantive

I already have the quintesential Sideshow Luke Jedi, and I thought my Hasbro Masterpiece Leia was good enough, so there really hasn't been anything lately to buy. Though it probably would have been good to get that Deathstar Officer.

But no I haven't quit yet. The more limited the better for me, as one day I will tire of collecting, and at least get my money back from most of the Exclusive Sideshow stuff. If not, no big deal.
I guarantee though there's alot of inferior Hasbro 12" figures that would disappear first. I'm keeping the beasts and vehicles. Getting my long gone money back there is an impossibility, but I collect to collect.
There is still some cool characters for SS to do yet, and the 3 3/4 Playsets, yeah, I'm hoping that comes to fruition.

Ji'dai
11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Am I the only collector who has simply stopped collecting sideshow, due to the limited quantities available?
Vital pieces in limited supply?
What's next, selling Darth Vader without his lightsaber?
Unless of course you are one of the first 50 people.
When is enough enough?
Who would buy these figures if they were $30 bucks instead of $300?
100 times the people, then hey, why not Sideshow?

And now playsets?
Are you kidding me?
We may get the cantina, but
only the first 25 will have booths.

Is it me? No, it's not only you. I stopped collecting Sideshow 12" well before they acquired the Star Wars license, for many of the same reasons you mentioned in your post. I grew dissatisfied with their hit or miss quality and quickly tired of the exclusive accessory/figure bull****.

So I stopped collecting 12" Star Wars after Hasbro ceded the license to SS. For me, the 12" line ended at that point. Since I didn't collect vintage 12" as a kid, I enjoyed the line while it lasted and was sorry to see it go.

JediTricks
11-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm still with them on the 12" SW and Lord of the Rings lines, but it's always been about what I like, not having everything. Their QC issues are still hurting, but the Luke Bespin I just got looks amazing, best version of this character ever, no doubt at all - and I've always wanted one that good.

The exclusives can be a chore, but there's plenty of regular ones and generally the exclusive isn't too big a deal. Luke's is the tourniquet, it's not vital to the guy. ANH Leia's is wrist-binders, not exactly essential either. Sometimes it is much worse though, I know, but generally it's not that bad I think.

decadentdave
11-24-2007, 04:54 PM
The problem with SS (QC issues aside) is their choice of characters which is baffling and frustrating. Why do a figure like Commander Praji whom most guys like me who have been collecting since 1977 have never even heard of when they could have done a more important character like Grand Moff Tarkin or Admiral Piett. And the fact you must be poised and ready by your computer as soon as preorders begin because they will sell out in 20 minutes or less and then you have to take your chances getting on the wait list. Not only that but trying to budget the funds when preorders hit is a nightmare because everything usually starts shipping about the same time and it's hell on the credit card. If they could space them out about 1 a month it wouldn't be so bad but this month I get hit with 4 preorders in the same month. Not fun because if I have to cancel due to lack of funds I will pay out the nose for it later on evilbay.

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I have collected everything SW since 77, and the only money got out of me was for Jabba and Bib Fortuna and Salacious Crumb. Yes, the details are incredible, but that is it for me. I am glad to see I am not the only one who is fed up with them. One time when I called to complain, the lady at customer service actually told me, "Well, if you were a true star wars collector, you would appreciate the rareness of our items." Maybe the dealers appreciate it lady, but certainly not the collectors. My question to Hasbro. If collecting is for kids like you always preach about, why sell out the license on 12' to Sideshow, which makes it IMPOSSIBLE for kids to play with them????

jedi master sal
11-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I've only bought the Plo Koon from them. So I don't consider myself a SSC collector. I was going to get the Jabba set, but it really was too damn much. The Jabba and creature 3-pack was fine, but the dias was so ridiculously priced that I said forget it. And if I couldn't get all three sets, I wasn't getting any of them.

decadentdave
11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
My question to Hasbro. If collecting is for kids like you always preach about, why sell out the license on 12' to Sideshow, which makes it IMPOSSIBLE for kids to play with them????

Hasbro dumped the license because they did not sell. Parents didn't buy them for kids because they cost too much and collectors didn't buy them because the quality sucked. Sideshow is targeting the collector market. The kids have the 3 3/4" Hasbro figures and the Galactic Heroes. The Sideshow 12" are primarily for the grown up kids.

It's been over 2 years into the line and Sideshow still hasn't given us armored figures like Vader, Fett, or Clones. They have said many times they are still "in development" apparently being co-developed with Hot Toys so I expect these figures to cost even more probably around the $100 price point or even higher. It's amazing these production issues weren't in R&D when they acquired the license. They are only the most popular figures collectors want to buy. The Medicoms don't cut it for me due to the smaller scale in the Asian market that is not true 1:6 scale. I fully expected a Vader at the end of the first year, then at the end of the second year, and here another year gone by without the most prominent figure of the franchise is disheartening and my interest is waning.

plasticfetish
11-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Hmmm. I've really only bought a few figures so far. I've probably canceled twice as many orders as I've received, but I'm optimistic about this line and Sideshow in general. The last few that I've picked up have been good. Asajj was very good I think.

There are plenty of quality issues to deal with though, so I can empathize with that concern. As far as complaining about how hard it is to get this stuff goes... I'm not exactly sure that it's worth worrying about. Most of the figures that I've been interested in have been easy to find at comic shops, etc. (for just about the same price) long after they'd first come out. I'm seeing nearly everything on eBay for sometimes less than the original price, and like anything else, if you're willing to wait for it (a lot of "collectors" seem to be bad at that), you'll probably make out pretty well.

I've no complaints about the figure selection either by the way. For the most part I'm happy that I haven't felt the need to own everything.

Jayspawn
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I havnt stopped yet, but I only pickup select figures anyways.

However I am displeased with the rising cost of each figure. They seem to get more and more expensive and I dont agree with that. Now, if a bigger deluxe figure would warrent that like Darth Vader, Boba Fett or Hammerhead (oh that'd be sweet) then I'd happily fork over the dough.

sergiurusu
11-29-2007, 03:49 AM
I didn't start to collect SS yet, I have only 2 items in my collection (1/4 PF Vader and 1/6 Maul's Sith Probe Droids) and thinking of getting the 12" Terminator Endoskeleton and maybe Cmdr. Praji. I need armored Imperial figures: Darth Vader (all of them), ROTJ Emperor stormtrooper, scout, snowtrooper, sandtrooper, royal guard, Death Star gunner, TIE Pilot, AT-AT Driver etc. And I wouldn't mind seeing some droids too. When they do this I'll be all over SS.

Blue2th
11-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Yup, once SS starts doing figures with armour on them, it will start a whole new round of frenzy.
I've been tempted to buy the Hot Toys, or Medicoms, but the scale has stopped me.
You would think it would be easier for Sideshow to do figures like Boba, Jango, Vader, and Stormtroopers etc. where they don't have to do face likeness, though certain ones like Vader and Jango would be excellent with removable helmets.
Perhaps it's a licensing thing.
I would love to see a Captain Fordo in 12" scale, then a Luitenant Arc Trooper in blue trim. Maybe when Clone Wars begins.
Sideshow could start off with these or some simpler troopers like an OTC Stormtrooper then a Blackhole Stormtrooper to get some mileage out of one sculpt.

pkalan70
11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Armored figures would be great, as long as they do not come with exclusive pieces limited to 50 so everyone can collect them.

Blue2th
11-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Armored figures would be great, as long as they do not come with exclusive pieces limited to 50 so everyone can collect them.
Yeah, but I'll be one of the first in line whether they are or not. My greedy little fingers will be on my mouse waiting to click at 11:01 AM PST Priority Pre-order. ;)

pkalan70
12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
For those who say the exclusive pieces don't make a difference. Did you catch the exclusive pieces on the chess board?? Oh yeah, the one monster who is able to pick up the other monster. You know, the only thing about this scene that most people remember. Yeah, that's right, thats the exclusive. Not important, eh?? Yeah right.

Neuroleptic
12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Side Show's stuff is great as far as detail, but the price has (and will probably always) kept me from buying any of it. It is simply out of my price range so long as I wish to be responsible in what I spend on my collecting hobby.

Blue2th
12-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I missed the Holo-Chess board altogether.
I agree that is a significant exclusive piece in there.
I don't think I would want one without it.
Oh well, you snooze, you loose, and I definitely snoozed on this one and the Obi-Wan with Training Remote.
I'm gonna check their wait lists.

Darth Cruel
12-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I am wondering if today's PPO of ANH Han Solo is an indicator of the waning popularity of the line or if it is just an anomily. There are a lot of people backing away from collecting the SS 1:6 scale Star Wars figures. And I wouldn't mind as it makes getting the exclusives easier for me, but I would hate to see the line go so far south that it gets cancelled.

decadentdave
12-14-2007, 07:24 PM
It's their own damned fault for pricing themselves out of the line. No way is ANH Han worth $65. Sure, the sculpt is an improvement but the Buck body is in dire need of a re-design and the tayloring still isn't where it needs to be as ANH Leia has proven with fraying and innacurate material and length. The paint aps have improved somewhat but still nowhere near the level of what Hot Toys is doing with POTC or Superman or others. They really disappointed with sloppy factory paints and poor tayloring for 2 years and their choices have been baffling with offerings like Ilum Padme, Commander Praji and the Endor troops when there are so many more popular characters fans want to see first. Now that they are giving us core characters they raise the price. I'm going to have to cancel a few orders already just to keep Han and from now on I'm only sticking with the core characters. I can't afford to drop even $50 or $60 on each figure they offer to us. I can't afford to be a completist with their 1:6 line. I cringe to think how many hundreds (or thousands) I've given them already. With the weak economy and skyrocketing gas and food and retail prices I'm starting to rethink my priorities with life and stick to the necessities. I don't have the disposable income to keep wasting on this stuff. Lucas will keep whoring out Star Wars the way Walt Disney has and I just can't keep buying everything they put out. Today was the wake-up call with Han. $65? I could put that money away into savings or put it towards a car payment or inevitable repairs for when something goes wrong. Time to grow up and get back to the real world instead of giving my life over to Lucas and his merchandising juggernaut.

AmanaMatt
12-14-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree the body needs WORK, but Han (to me) is a $65 figure. Great likeness and the outfit looks good. Normally I 'freak' on high prices, but this one seems fairly priced given the detailing.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
The awesome Luke Bespin was $55, had as much clothes, a similar gunbelt and blaster accessory and hands accessories, a similar number of other accessories, and an equally accurate likeness. So Han seems like an overpriced figure in that respect, even in a realm of already-overpriced figures. I can understand why people would be annoyed. At the same time, this thing does look really good, and I do want it, so I did preorder it.

MeetThyReaper
12-29-2007, 02:08 AM
The only 12" scale piece that I picked up was Jabba with his throne. I think it's one of the greatest pieces ever created. Pricey, but definitely worth it, IMO.

In response to your topic, I think you should collect what you enjoy and not worry about being a perfectionist. I have to agree, though, that the limited quantities definitely push away the die-hard fans. Of course, they changed the "exclusive" title into an "inclusive" one to try and appease fans, such as yourself. ^_^

If you really do want to continue collecting these, just sign up for the newsletter and put yourself on the waitlist. Things should all fall into place.

maatu
01-01-2008, 01:08 AM
i think collectors are getting upset by what sideshow is doing. me personally i have fallen behind on collecting these. i am still trying to get qui gon jinn exclusive

C5Jedi
01-01-2008, 07:19 AM

Is it me?

Me too. I was going to collect them all but when the quantities were limited and then there's different versions of the same:mad:

They lost me as a customer. Then their stupid shipping methods didn't help -delaying them and then sending you all of your pre-orders at once or within a month or so.

maatu
01-01-2008, 03:31 PM
i agree, i probably have cancelled as many orders as i have bought from them in 2007. i use to be dedicated. But limiting collectors abilities to get certain stuff is wrong, and if you are diehard collectors then you have to pay more on the secondary market to get a certain 12inch piece.

Jayspawn
01-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm close to quitting the 12" line. The ANH Han is plain extorsion.

maatu
01-02-2008, 09:29 AM
i ordered the han solo. i really liked this. But iwonder if people would keep collecting if they sideshow would get rid of the gimmick and give every figure the same stuff. so you wouldn't have the exclusive cost more on the secondary market. be more collector friendly. i know they do listen to us to an extent. there not hasbro....

sergiurusu
01-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm on the edge in getting Ben Kenobi. But I have too much on pre-order alas...

pkalan70
01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Surprise Surprise Surprise
Another Luke!!!!!!
Did anyone expect anything else?
Maybe another Han???
OH, I could barely wait...
Can you spell sarcasm

plasticfetish
01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
No. No big surprise there. :tired:

I know it's a bit early to tell, but from looking at that little thumbnail image of Luke's face... doesn't it look really weird?

Jaff
01-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I remember in the beginning, Sideshow made some astounding 12" characters and ideas we dreamed about. It used to be: What will sideshow do next? Now it's more like: When will we see something creative and unique.

Don't get me wrong I have every single Sideshow to date, and the rest are preordered, but what good is a Dejerek table without a Chewie? Why is there currently 4 Luke's out of 30 12" figures? Are they saving up for a big suprise? And the last thing I want to hear from Sideshow is that they are producing core characters for non-collectors (the bogus Hasbro rant). They can make astounding figures, I wish they would just get to it.