PDA

View Full Version : Playsets?

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Ok ok ok

I bought all
1) all the repaints of the pit droids and clone troopers, havent missed one
2) the $25 battle packs to get the one new figure, ej Leia in Bespin capture
3) the repainted old vehicles for the 4th time (still no cloud car????)

Can I please have a playset from the original trilogy that holds more then 3 figures? Please.

I'll buy more repaints I promise, can you please invest some of my money into a new playset? A cantina? (non all cardboard) Dagobah? Ewok village? A Death Star? ok, maybe i've gone too far now

JediTricks
11-24-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm afraid Hasbro's answers about playsets are the same thing over and over, they can't find enough buyers to make a profit so it's not gonna happen. It stinks, but considering the last 12 years of Hasbro SW playsets, I'm not surprised they can't find those buyers, there hasn't been a good one in the bunch.

Kidhuman
11-24-2007, 03:38 PM
They need to release more than a wall. Mustafar was way too small. They release stuff in pieces like the DeathStar and Endor sets. We need some huge playsets like:

Tantive IV
Lukes Homestead
Cantina
DeathStar
Hoth
Star Destroyer
Dagobah
Bespin
Jabbas Palace
Emperors Throne Room
Endor

PT:
Trade Federation ship
Theed Palace
Queens Starship(re-release)
Tatooine
Senate Area
Theed Lightsaber Battle area
Outlander Club
Kamino
Better Geonosis Battle
Greivous Starship
Palpatines Office/Chambers
Better Mustafar

I would buy most, if not all of these as they are main action areas in the movies.

JediTricks
11-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Look at the Geonosis playset, that was a mud wall with cardboard and pieces, didn't catch on even after they dropped the price on it. The best playset to come out of Ep 1 was the R2-D2 carry case playset, and that was just a sticker door, a ramp, and another door. I just don't think Hasbro has any way to deliver these things in this scale in a quality anybody would want. Look at the Micro Machines playsets from Galoob, a lot of great designs but at 1/3rd the scale - how is Hasbro going to deliver that quality 3 times up without raising the price 3 times as well? Of course, if they really were that quality, $30 to $45 would be understandable - but at 3 times the size, nobody would have anyplace to put them.

bigbarada
11-24-2007, 05:43 PM
There's just really no demand for them anymore. Which is a shame because I love playsets. Everybody just seems to focus on figures these days and there's barely even a demand for vehicles anymore.

jedi master sal
11-24-2007, 06:25 PM
There's just really no demand for them anymore. Which is a shame because I love playsets. Everybody just seems to focus on figures these days and there's barely even a demand for vehicles anymore.

Take no offense to my comment, but I have to disagree with you. On all of the sites I preuse and post on, I see many collectors asking for playsets. And, this isn't the case of the same bunch of collectors posting on all of the sites. Other than myself, for the most part each site has their own dedicated set of collectors who want playset.

I've been a big proponent for modular dioramas so we can create what we want.

At this point I WOULD be happy if we got a ginormous set.

We need SOMETHING!

Hasbro, please... If you don't want to take the risk on many small sets, then make a grand Death Star set (the one most often asked for by a WIDE margin) and be done with it. Fill it with detail (not gimmicks). A playset doesn't need to have the gimmicks to make it playWORTHY. Leave it up to the kids (and those collectors who play) to make it something played with. For the rest of us, we REALLY want a set that makes displaying the figures more eloborate and interesting other than shelves and shelves of figures, even ones on "steps."

I'm CERTAIN the overwhelming majority of us would rather spend our money on a nice playset than those steps.

We've shelled out enough cash over th last 12 years of modern collecting. Give us at least this ONE big set. You may be surprised at the outcome. And if it doesn't sell as we hope for, then once and for all you can put this controversy to rest.

Make it known to the collecting world that if THIS set doesn't sell that there will absolutely be NO more.

Please give us this one last chance and give us a little respect (for our consumerism towards your products). Do some research. Ask we collectors what we want, run some polls, etc.

Thank You

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 06:34 PM
By the way, the Geonosis playset was re-used by Hasbro for GI Joe. Unless of course there are battle droids in the GI Joe Universe.
Pathetic, did you think nobody would notice??

Also, how do you sell more figures?
Give them a playset.
Who did not have to buy another stormtrooper or another death star commander figure in the 70's to put on each side of the elevator on the first floor of the death star playset?

Once again, is it just me?

bigbarada
11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
On all of the sites I preuse and post on, I see many collectors asking for playsets.

Take no offense, but exactly how many people are you talking about here? 10? 20? 50? 60? You have to remember that Hasbro is a corporation and they hire people specifically for market research and these people would have been trained in sociology and psychology (I have a Graphic Design degree and even I had to take classes in sociology and psychology). For the purposes of determining mass interest, anything less than 100 people is considered to be referring to individuals not mass-market trends. If we could get 10,000 collectors together who would buy a playset off the shelf as soon as it went on sale (and NOT wait for it to hit the clearance racks), then Hasbro would pay attention. But if it's just you and 99 of your close friends, then Hasbro doesn't care, since those aren't big enough numbers to make it worth their investment.

Of course, when an item fails at retail, how Hasbro interprets that is not necessarily how they should interpret it. Hasbro's prequel playsets have been terrible and when they fail at retail, Hasbro can interpret it in two ways:

1. "Maybe these would sell if we made them higher quality." Which would require investing more money and time into developing the playsets and even after all that, it's still no guarantee that they will sell well.

2. "Clearly consumers aren't interested in playsets." Which means that Hasbro cuts its losses and doesn't have to spend any more money on playsets. Thus they can invest the money in something that has been a proven success.

If you consider that Hasbro's primary goal is to make money, then which option do you think they will choose? Obviously the one with the least question marks and risk.

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Here is an idea.
Buy the molds of the playsets from Sideshow.
Produce copies in plastic, let Sideshow produce metal.
We won't care really we won't.
Then, all you have to pay for is plastic and packaging.
Easy really, it will work, trust us.
People will still buy the ones from Sideshow.
Even more people (isnt that the point of retail?) will buy from you.
Everyones happy.
Or only 250 of us will have a Dagobah playset.
What do you think collectors?

bigbarada
11-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Here is an idea.
Buy the molds of the playsets from Sideshow.
Produce copies in plastic, let Sideshow produce metal.
We won't care really we won't.
Then, all you have to pay for is plastic and packaging.
Easy really, it will work, trust us.
People will still buy the ones from Sideshow.
Even more people (isnt that the point of retail?) will buy from you.
Everyones happy.
Or only 250 of us will have a Dagobah playset.
What do you think collectors?

I would love it! I really would. Despite my previous posts in this thread, I'm not anti-playset AT ALL. I just get frustrated that so many collectors will wait until a large vehicle or playset goes on clearance to buy it, then they wonder why Hasbro thinks that playsets and large vehicles won't sell.

When a large vehicle or playset doesn't sell until it is clearanced at half the price, then Hasbro will see that as a failure. Meaning the consumers have just communicated to Hasbro that we are not interested in these products.

pkalan70
11-25-2007, 12:12 AM
When is the last time you ever saw a playset on clearance??
Hasbro hasn't even put out a SW playset that you couldn't hold in one hand in years, all we ever get (or what we used to get) are pieces.
I seriously think that collectors would buy a good playset.
They put out a batcave every other year for Batman, why not make that a death star??
Are you seriously telling me that more people collect Batman??
Sideshow puts out sets with editions numbering 100 or less, its worth it for them, and Hasbro certainly has more resources then Sideshow. So why not put out an exclusive playset, and at least test the waters? Why, I will tell you why, because they have trained us to buy the 27th version of the clone trooper to make money, so why bother making something new??

bigbarada
11-25-2007, 02:06 AM
I can tell you that I'm not buying Clonetroopers anymore.

The last real playsets that Hasbro attempted were for the Ep1 and 2 lines and those flopped. So we haven't seen a serious attempt at a traditional playset for about 5 years now. If you look at the playsets made for the PT, they are pretty much on the same level of quality as the vintage playsets.

Even the Carbon Freeze Chamber from the POTJ line (one of my all-time favorite Star Wars playsets), wasn't a great seller from what I understand (even though I never saw one at retail) and generally disliked by fans.

It's really easy to just blame this all on Hasbro, but I think it's more complicated than that. Collectors want playsets that are large and accurate, but that puts a lot of cost on Hasbro's shoulders that gets passed on to the consumer. Kid's would only be interested in playsets that seem to be fun to play with. Thus, requiring a heavy dependence on gimmicky action features that collectors tend to loathe. Of course, parents want something inexpensive. So large, expensive playsets that don't seem very fun to their kids aren't going to be very appealing.

I think the only solution would be for a third party to just manufacture collector-friendly playsets with the 4" action figures in mind.

jedi master sal
11-25-2007, 02:19 AM
BB, honestly, I post regularly on four sites, semi-reg on two and rare on a couple of others, but in all cases I do notice a trend of collectors wanting playsets. If I had to average them I'd say there's a good couple dozen per site.

Now if this is the average (and again we're talking about people who are dedicated to that particular site and not site hoppers like myself) then consider how many collecting sites for SW there are. True enough that doesn't add up to thousands, but the same can be said for clones or army builders, yet (with the exception of Legends) they sold like hotcakes.

Beyond those of us who are very vocal about playsets, then consider those who like the idea but may only make a casual comment, or those who like the idea, but just don't post.

Hasbro has got to give it one more go. Agreed that the pre-quel sets were poor. Again a really goo Death Star set is wanted by the majority of those being vocal about wanting playsets. The small DS sets of the 90s didn't cut it either. they were barely playsets and in no way connected cohesively together.

BTW, BB, I have a degree in Industrial Design as well as one in Graphic Design and work for a Marketing department for a major University. I think I have a pretty good bead on market research. Not to mention the now 3 decades of collecting and the more than 10 years of posting on the net (regarding collecting SW).

However, it doesn't even take a genuis or highly educated person though to figure out that fans have been begging for playsets for years now.

Oh and pkalan70, I think you have a point there about Batman. That really tall batcave was awesome. And there have been several batcaves over the last few years. Other than the Geonosian Arena (now more than 5 years old) I can't recall a big playset and most certainly not one that was off good quality AND play value.

El Chuxter
11-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Mustafar and the arena dueling thingies.

Before that, Geonosis.

Before that, the two really crappy TPM Naboo playsets.

Before that, the cardboard Cantina.

Before that, all the Complete Galaxies.

Before that, the Millennium Falcon bridge that came with the CD-ROM.

Before that, the Death Star corridor.

I think the only ones in the modern line that haven't gone on clearance have been Hoth (which was tough to find) and the cardboard Jabba's Palace (which didn't ship in very large numbers).

Mind you, I'm only saying that they have gone on clearance. I think it's far more indicative of the ones we have sucking so badly rather than a lack of interest in good playsets.

bigbarada
11-25-2007, 02:37 AM
BB, honestly, I post regularly on four sites, semi-reg on two and rare on a couple of others, but in all cases I do notice a trend of collectors wanting playsets. If I had to average them I'd say there's a good couple dozen per site.

Now if this is the average (and again we're talking about people who are dedicated to that particular site and not site hoppers like myself) then consider how many collecting sites for SW there are. True enough that doesn't add up to thousands, but the same can be said for clones or army builders, yet (with the exception of Legends) they sold like hotcakes.

Beyond those of us who are very vocal about playsets, then consider those who like the idea but may only make a casual comment, or those who like the idea, but just don't post.

Hasbro has got to give it one more go. Agreed that the pre-quel sets were poor. Again a really goo Death Star set is wanted by the majority of those being vocal about wanting playsets. The small DS sets of the 90s didn't cut it either. they were barely playsets and in no way connected cohesively together.

BTW, BB, I have a degree in Industrial Design as well as one in Graphic Design and work for a Marketing department for a major University. I think I have a pretty good bead on market research. Not to mention the now 3 decades of collecting and the more than 10 years of posting on the net (regarding collecting SW).

However, it doesn't even take a genuis or highly educated person though to figure out that fans have been begging for playsets for years now.

Oh and pkalan70, I think you have a point there about Batman. That really tall batcave was awesome. And there have been several batcaves over the last few years. Other than the Geonosian Arena (now more than 5 years old) I can't recall a big playset and most certainly not one that was off good quality AND play value.

I agree with you and I didn't intend my post as an insult to your intelligence.

The thing is this, Hasbro can make cheap, crappy figures and collectors still buy them. They can make cheap, crappy vehicles and those still sell fairly well. But a cheap, crappy playset isn't really appealing to anybody and will just rot on the shelves.

Hasbro is in the business of making toys and, honestly, they don't really need us. Even if all the collectors managed to band together (which would NEVER happen) and boycott the line. Hasbro would just kill the Star Wars line and continue making money hand over fist with their Transformers and GI Joe lines, among others.

We can say all we want with our mouths and keyboards, but unless we speak with our wallets, Hasbro really doesn't care (no matter how much they try to pretend that's not the case). So the fact that playsets failed consistently for over seven years is pretty much the nail in the coffin for SW playsets.

jedi master sal
11-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I agree with you and I didn't intend my post as an insult to your intelligence.

The thing is this, Hasbro can make cheap, crappy figures and collectors still buy them. They can make cheap, crappy vehicles and those still sell fairly well. But a cheap, crappy playset isn't really appealing to anybody and will just rot on the shelves.

Hasbro is in the business of making toys and, honestly, they don't really need us. Even if all the collectors managed to band together (which would NEVER happen) and boycott the line. Hasbro would just kill the Star Wars line and continue making money hand over fist with their Transformers and GI Joe lines, among others.

We can say all we want with our mouths and keyboards, but unless we speak with our wallets, Hasbro really doesn't care (no matter how much they try to pretend that's not the case). So the fact that playsets failed consistently for over seven years is pretty much the nail in the coffin for SW playsets.

Yeah, you're pretty much right there.
I think if the license fees weren't so much we would see more in this line. So in part it's LFL to blame.

No worries, BB.

pkalan70
11-25-2007, 10:10 PM
First of all, how sad that we all consider the falcon cockpit that came with the CD-ROM a playset? What does that say about the inadequate playsets issued? The prequel playsets failed, because they were horrible. The door on Geonosis was TOO SMALL for the creatures to fit through, besides that not bad. Or wait, weren't there THREE pillars the heroes were tied to?? Do the people who make the playsets watch the movie?? Also, (sorry prequel lovers) original trilogy playsets sell better. I bet those won't go clearance.

stillakid
11-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Sigh. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The BEST way to sell playsets is to make them LOOK like they actually came from the movie on the outside and give them playability on the inside. The Millenium Falcon is probably the best example of success in this regard.

The original Death Star was cool in that it offered MULTIPLE areas of play so that the purchaser (mom and dad) felt like they were giving Jr. (the player) something worth the larger cash outlay.

When you look at something like the Geonesis playset, it's lame anyway you look at it. It is a few pieces of plastic that look like any wall of the Grand Canyon. The Endor set was little more than doors and a frame. The old Dagobah set was kind of cool, but difficult to play with because it was hard to get inside the tree trunk. The Ewok tree set was cool, but still lacked versatility like the Death Star or Falcon did. The old Star Destroyer lacked versatile playability as well as lacked exterior familiarity.

I think that ultimate problem is that we've got anal "collectors" who continually ask for ultra detailed "pieces" which aren't playsets at all. On the other side is Hasbro churning out virtually nothing, but when they do, it tends to just be very simplistic efforts which resemble little from the movie with little real playability.

So, we know that Hasbro would be daft to make those silly modular plastic boxes that some collectors keep harping on about because by definition, they aren't really "playsets." The viable consumer market for those is far too small to make them worthwhile expenditures.

And making NOTHING obviously results in zero sales.

So, there must be some kind of compromise in between.

The next step is to look seriously at the environments within the Star Wars films that would make viable playsets. There really aren't many when you think about it. The Death Star, the Falcon, the Ewok Treehouse, Dagobah, the Cantina, the Hoth base, the Star Destroyer, Bespin, Jabba's Palace.... that pretty much covers the bulk of environments in the OT that could make decent playsets that could please collectors and kids who actually want to play with their toys. Some have already been done and some should be done better, like the Cantina and the Star Destroyer. But when it comes down to it, there really isn't a lot to do when it comes to playsets and when you look at the Prequels, the pickings really seem to get worse.

Not much on Tatooine itself really in terms of something with fun rooms to play in. There's the Jedi Temple room and the Senate maybe. Kamino could be interesting in a lot of ways if done well. Maybe something on the Lava planet, but even that is kinda reaching for a variety of playability.

Star Wars has a lot of exteriors, a few interiors, and a lot of spaceships. On the whole, Hasbro has almost done most of it already.

jedi master sal
11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
SK, you know I'll continue to disagree with on the modular pieces. So rather than consume this board with that argument yet again, let's take a look at possible prequel playsets (as the OT ones have been covered in discussion at this point).

TPM:
Theed Palace/hangar bay: Again plenty of scenes here. The ones done previously were ok, just not enough. a big set with an exterior of the palace on one side, then on the other side a hallway, the walkways with the glowing cylinders that ran through them, the force field room with at least two "working" force fields in the form of red translucent plastic, and finally the end round room of Qui-Gon's demise.
A Hangar bay set could be done and big enough to hole at least two Naboo starfighters. Again this is the scene of a major ground battle in the movie. It could also substitute for the Queen's ship hangar.

AOTC:

ROTS:
Greivous Flagship: tons of scenes here. The main one that I'd expect as a playset would be the bridge. This had some very cool elements to it and would give a place to put several figures in.
Including:
Obi-wan
Anakin
Greivous
Nemoidian pilots
Battle Droid pilots and security Droids
Magna Droids
Palpatine
R2-D2
It's the site of a major action sequence. Main characters, and troops clash. All the ingredients needed for a successful playset.

Grrr, I'll have to finish this post later as my fiancee is growling at me to hurry up so we can go shopping....(So I'll be half a day, lol) But at the least with the three examples so far given, there is potential and they are all-in-one playsets for their scenes.

-Sal

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Hasbro hasn't even put out a SW playset that you couldn't hold in one hand in years, all we ever get (or what we used to get) are pieces.
I seriously think that collectors would buy a good playset. Every playset they've done in the last 12 years I've seen go on clearance - Death Star bridge and cellblock, Endor, Hoth, Ep 1 Naboo Hangar, Ep 1 Naboo Power Generator (which I think might have sold if it had Maul), Ep 2 Geonosis which dropped in price $10 at retail before clearance and still didn't sell, and Ep 3 Volcano Mountain. Nobody responds to these things anymore, partly because Hasbro makes lame playsets and partly because not many people have room for an "environment" toy anymore.

Even the Carbon Freeze Chamber from the POTJ line (one of my all-time favorite Star Wars playsets), wasn't a great seller from what I understand (even though I never saw one at retail) and generally disliked by fans.You never saw it at retail because it was exclusive to the Fan Club.

stillakid
11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I think that a playset/ship that would be a surefire sell is a Star Destroyer on the scale of those aircraft carrier toys I've seen at KBToys. Something that large could house several "rooms" and other storage for accessories. The exterior in the vein of the Falcon and the Queen's Naboo silver ship would lend the familiarity that adults (with the nostalgia and cash) would be looking for.

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 10:59 PM
The Queen's Royal Starship didn't sell very well though, even after Hasbro slashed the MSRP in half (which amused me to no end since I did buy it at the full $100), so it's an example of why they wouldn't.

stillakid
11-28-2007, 02:06 AM
The Queen's Royal Starship didn't sell very well though, even after Hasbro slashed the MSRP in half (which amused me to no end since I did buy it at the full $100), so it's an example of why they wouldn't.

Right, but as I've suggested before, I think the reason for lower sales is that the ship came from a movie that wasn't impressing most people. The Star Destroyer, however, is well recognized by people in our generation and by the young. OT characters and vehicles will always sell better than Prequel stuff.

I seriously believe that if the Star Destroyer I've previously proposed showed up on shelves at Xmas time, adults out shopping for cool presents would barely hesitate at picking it up, either for themselves or as a gift. The Queen's ship? Eh.

El Chuxter
11-28-2007, 02:38 AM
The toy did rock like no Star Wars toy before and very few since.

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
The toy did rock like no Star Wars toy before and very few since.

Chux, do you mean the Queen's ship?

I think it was an EXCELLENT ship/playset. Big, lots of features. As mentioned though, it came from a movie that people considered subpar. So it already had that standing in it's way of being a huge success.

Kidhuman
11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
I just added a question in the ask Hasbro thrread for playsets and I think it could be a good idea to et some of the stuff we have been asking for. Please vote for it. Thanks fellas and JJL

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I just added a question in the ask Hasbro thrread for playsets and I think it could be a good idea to et some of the stuff we have been asking for. Please vote for it. Thanks fellas and JJL

Ooh, I'll go looking for this right now.

We really need Hasbro to pony up and give us a GOOD playset. (Not give, of course we'll pay for them...lol)

stillakid
11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I just had an idea. Really. Just now. Don't know if it's any good or even possible, but....

What about some kind of all-in-one playset for each movie. What I mean is some kind of fold out playset that somehow encompasses all of the major environments of ANH. And another one for ESB and so on...

Obviously these wouldn't be highly detailed like the much ballyhooed modular thingies that diaroma builders want or even somewhat detailed "one environment" playsets. But in terms of uniqueness and some kind of gimmicky thing that might attract attention from Christmas shoppers in search of the gift that keeps on giving, such an item could keep Star Wars alive in the non-collector community and give collectors a fairly unique way to display a variety of their action figures in a relatively compact space.

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I just had an idea. Really. Just now. Don't know if it's any good or even possible, but....

What about some kind of all-in-one playset for each movie. What I mean is some kind of fold out playset that somehow encompasses all of the major environments of ANH. And another one for ESB and so on...

Obviously these wouldn't be highly detailed like the much ballyhooed modular thingies that diaroma builders want or even somewhat detailed "one environment" playsets. But in terms of uniqueness and some kind of gimmicky thing that might attract attention from Christmas shoppers in search of the gift that keeps on giving, such an item could keep Star Wars alive in the non-collector community and give collectors a fairly unique way to display a variety of their action figures in a relatively compact space.

So it's a Transformer playset...could work.

Like I've said, I just want SOMETHING. At least an option to buy a playset.

stillakid
11-28-2007, 01:51 PM
So it's a Transformer playset...could work.

Well, I'd hate to categorize it with that terminology. "Transformer" brings along a lot of baggage that isn't necessarily beneficial to the purpose. I don't want my playset to fold up into some kind of ridiculous looking robot or anything.

They did that R2-D2 playset thing a while back that had AOTC stuff in it I think. It was rather unremarkable but it came with the first "rolling" Destroyer Droid so I bought it. Otherwise, the playset aspect was poor to less than poor.

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Well, I'd hate to categorize it with that terminology. "Transformer" brings along a lot of baggage that isn't necessarily beneficial to the purpose. I don't want my playset to fold up into some kind of ridiculous looking robot or anything.

They did that R2-D2 playset thing a while back that had AOTC stuff in it I think. It was rather unremarkable but it came with the first "rolling" Destroyer Droid so I bought it. Otherwise, the playset aspect was poor to less than poor.

Heh I didn't mean it would be a robot otherwise. just that it would transform from something (on the exterior into a playset on the interior.

heck the Death Star would work for SW
Either a Snow Mountain, Super Star Destroyer or Cloud Cit could work for ESB
Jabba's Palace for ROTJ

Theed for TPM
Geonosian Spire for AOTC
Jedi Temple for ROTS

Just some ideas.

At least they would look the part from the outside.

stillakid
11-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Theed for TPM
Geonosian Spire for AOTC
Jedi Temple for ROTS

Just some ideas.

At least they would look the part from the outside.

Well, to save more money, they could just make the exteriors of the Prequel sets look like big piles of crap! :thumbsup:

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, to save more money, they could just make the exteriors of the Prequel sets look like big piles of crap! :thumbsup:

Or there's that.

You're such an optimist SK. lol

stillakid
11-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Or there's that.

You're such an optimist SK. lol

Thanks! I like to think so. Unfortunately, the downside of being an optimist is that I'm also frequently disappointed. :( Some also call me cynical, but I prefer to call it being realistic. :)

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Some also call me cynical...

Sure that's not clinical....heh heh. J/K

decadentdave
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm afraid Hasbro's answers about playsets are the same thing over and over, they can't find enough buyers to make a profit so it's not gonna happen. It stinks, but considering the last 12 years of Hasbro SW playsets, I'm not surprised they can't find those buyers, there hasn't been a good one in the bunch.

Case-in-point that sad excuse for a playset that was the Carbon Freeze Chamber. What the heck was that? It's a shame they can't just do a 3 3/4" scale version of the Carbon Freeze Chamber from the old Microworld playsets. I would love to see some interlocking large scale sections that can be assembled into a mega playset. Even Hoth World was pretty impressive with Echo Base built into the Ion Cannon and connecting Wampa cave and Turret and trenches. Of course there was Death Star World and an abandoned Jabba's Palace. Imagine what these old playsets could be like transformed into larger scale. Come on Hasbro, the designs are already there, just enlarge them. If you are worried about distribution make them an online exclusive or something.

mabudonicus
11-29-2007, 04:46 PM
the REAL trick with simply scaling up designs is the cost of the actual molds. The designs, once actually completed, are all well and good, but the amount of expensive tooling and expensive steel required to actually make the molds themselves is MADNESS, especially when you're talking about large single-section- the number of injector pins and crap is mind boggling.

One thing I don't recall anyone bringing up (and this might just be obvious to me up here in Canada, as we have different ads on TV) but one thing that TOTALLY made me "need" SW toys as a kid were them crappy but F-in BRILLIANT commercials. Those damn toys were given fantastic powers of awesomeness-inducing. Somehow seeing them damn kids having such fun with a toy that I did NOT have drove me bananas- I didn't necessarily want everything, but every time a commercial with some new SW stuff it it aired, I'd be ading a few things to my "must have" list

So I think one reason there's no market for playsets is the fact that Hasbro is NOT doing the same kind of advertising. I really think that such a campaign would be a boost to the line and bring more possibility of playsets in the future
:beard: Iso & Baws

I had Land of the Jawas, then when ESB came out, I got the "Ice Planet Hoth"- I was excitied til I figured out they were friggin identical besides the plastic colour and the shape of the damn carboard cutout - and what was with the "crapping ATAT" anyways ???

pkalan70
11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Scaling up the old micro playsets is a great idea
so is stealing the molds from sideshow & reproducing them in plastic
Oh wait, am I trying to save Kenner money???
Because they are so concerned with my budget??
Putting out a $8 clone repaint.
Kenner has been ripping us off for a long time.
They OWE us a playset.
If they want to scale up or scale down, I guess that would be ok.
But why are we, as collectors, willing to give them the easy out??
What happened to the consumer is right?
We should be dictating the market, and not worrying about how much it would cost Kenner.
How much do you think it costs to produce a figure?
3/4 of a cent I would imagine.

stillakid
11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
We should be dictating the market, and not worrying about how much it would cost Kenner.
How much do you think it costs to produce a figure?

Well, technically, it doesn't cost Kenner a dime. :yes:

decadentdave
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I remember walking into K-Mart one day and seeing the Land of the Jawas playset and I got so excited I was jumping up and down and I ran through the store and found my Dad and begged him to get it for me. He did. One of my happy childhood days. I really wanted the Escape Pod most of all. Seeing that old Kenner toy commercial really got me jazzed up for it.

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Right, but as I've suggested before, I think the reason for lower sales is that the ship came from a movie that wasn't impressing most people.That's supposition though, the set sold terribly even by Ep 1 standards.

The Star Destroyer, however, is well recognized by people in our generation and by the young. OT characters and vehicles will always sell better than Prequel stuff.But it's further out of scale with the figures than the Falcon or Queen's Royal Starship sets.

Obviously these wouldn't be highly detailed like the much ballyhooed modular thingies that diaroma builders want or even somewhat detailed "one environment" playsets. But in terms of uniqueness and some kind of gimmicky thing that might attract attention from Christmas shoppers in search of the gift that keeps on giving, such an item could keep Star Wars alive in the non-collector community and give collectors a fairly unique way to display a variety of their action figures in a relatively compact space.Cute idea, though it fits Action Fleet or Micro Machines better than 3.75" figures. I think it'd have to be pretty entertaining to get that audience going. I've seen those fold-out Matchbox playsets though, very plain-looking I think.

Case-in-point that sad excuse for a playset that was the Carbon Freeze Chamber. What the heck was that?My guess is someone had a cute idea for the gimmick and built that playset around it, then it got scaled down over and over until it was the lame little thing we got... oh, I forgot, they also had to attach a 12" GI Joe missile-firing weapon to it for "play sake". Idiots.

It's a shame they can't just do a 3 3/4" scale version of the Carbon Freeze Chamber from the old Microworld playsets. I would love to see some interlocking large scale sections that can be assembled into a mega playset. Even Hoth World was pretty impressive with Echo Base built into the Ion Cannon and connecting Wampa cave and Turret and trenches. Of course there was Death Star World and an abandoned Jabba's Palace. Imagine what these old playsets could be like transformed into larger scale. Come on Hasbro, the designs are already there, just enlarge them. If you are worried about distribution make them an online exclusive or something.Scaling up isn't so easy, it's a complex process and even then often the details end up much softer because they're not meant to be seen at that level. Plus, they'd be HUGE sets at that point. But I must admit, Hoth World was amazing, the big doors on Echo Base, the ion cannon, the blast-off panel, the Wampa cave, they really do need to do something at that level for these figures.

One thing I don't recall anyone bringing up (and this might just be obvious to me up here in Canada, as we have different ads on TV) but one thing that TOTALLY made me "need" SW toys as a kid were them crappy but F-in BRILLIANT commercials. Those damn toys were given fantastic powers of awesomeness-inducing. Somehow seeing them damn kids having such fun with a toy that I did NOT have drove me bananas- I didn't necessarily want everything, but every time a commercial with some new SW stuff it it aired, I'd be ading a few things to my "must have" listYeah, Hasbro's never supported advertising this line right, they got it running through collector word of mouth and figured they'd promote it from a "cool" perspective rather than simply showing the toys being enjoyed in nifty play patterns. Then again, a lot of those commercials didn't highlight the playsets that well, the kids had the awesome figures in the grass and dirt and it was good enough.

So I think one reason there's no market for playsets is the fact that Hasbro is NOT doing the same kind of advertising. I really think that such a campaign would be a boost to the line and bring more possibility of playsets in the futureIn the US, federal regulations have changed a lot since the '80s in terms of what you can and can't do and show in these sorts of ads. No more moving on their own or fantasy environments or anything that makes the kid thing they're getting more than they really are. It's kinda stupid IMO because it sells the audience short.

stillakid
11-30-2007, 08:56 AM
That's supposition though, the set sold terribly even by Ep 1 standards.Yes, that's why led that sentence with "I think."

But it's further out of scale with the figures than the Falcon or Queen's Royal Starship sets.So what? I wasn't suggesting that the thing be "to scale." That would be ridiculous. All I'm saying is that if there was a Star Destroyer designed around the concept they used for the Falcon, where the exterior actually looks like the ship from the movie and the interior has multiple play areas, then it would make a more attractive item even if it did cost more. Toss in the familiarity from a POPULAR and well loved set of movies and it has a far better chance at retail success than the Episode I ship ever had.

pkalan70
11-30-2007, 11:34 AM
ok ok hasbro
like it matters

Gothiczartan
12-12-2007, 08:12 PM
bespin duel playset for luke and darth vader?

DS2 duel for luke, darth vader and emperor?