PDA

View Full Version : Zardoz

Lord Malakite
11-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Has anyone seen this 1974 movie, and if so, what is your opinion on it? Is it worth watching, owning, avoiding, etc.?

I saw the theatrical trailer for this on a DVD and while it doesn't seem like it would be up there with say the likes of Wizard of Oz, Its a Wonderful Life, etc., it does seem like it might be an interesting "cult followed" film (like the the Evil Dead trilogy).

The trailer showed a giant floating stone head, Sean Connery in a red diaper, and the taglines "Beyond 1984, Beyond 2001, Beyond Love, Beyond Death", "I have seen the future and it doesn't work" and "Into a world of eternal life, he brought the gift of death" among other things. Connery in a diaper killing a giant god head seems cult worthy, right? :D

TeeEye7
11-29-2007, 03:16 AM
Never saw the movie, but did see the pictoral "Playboy" magazine ran on it, back in the ol' college days of '74 :lipsrsealed:

decadentdave
11-29-2007, 04:51 AM
First of all, Zardoz is a brilliant film. Absolutely ingenius. That said, I'm going to be brutally honest. You will (probably) hate it.

The first time I watched Zardoz I hated it. I wondered what kind of whacked out drugs John Boorman was taking when he made the film. Sean Connery running around bare chested with a gun leading savages who worship a floating head that commands: "The gun is good, the penis is bad" while giving them guns and ammo to kill each other off. I thought it was the most outlandish rubbish I had ever seen.

But something happened. I couldn't stop thinking about it. It was so bizarre that I couldn't understand how such a great filmmaker who had made Excalibur could have coherently made a film as preposterous as Zardoz. So I went back and watched it again and studied it and what happened was revelatory. I got it. I understood the brilliance that was inscribed underneath a veneer of outrageousness. It is one of the most brilliantly conceived allegories of science fiction I have ever seen. If you get it, good for you. Most people will not and simply shrug it off as one of the dumbest films they've ever seen but if you are one of the few who understand its message and can appreciate literary metaphors then you are in for a unique treat.

Vi Cit Tecum
11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Its been awhile since I've seen it. Ive actually seen it twice from the same point( I missed the first half hour both times) but I remember liking it. It was sort of like A Boy And His Dog. Its funny that you mention Wizard of Oz in this it had something to do with the movie ZARDOZ = wiZARD of OZ.

decadentdave
11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Way to go and spoil it for those that haven't seen it. :thumbsup: You might want to consider editing your post.

Lord Malakite
11-30-2007, 03:57 AM
First of all, Zardoz is a brilliant film. Absolutely ingenius. That said, I'm going to be brutally honest. You will (probably) hate it.
You'd be suprised at what the things I can find enjoyable that most people I know seem to hate or consider crap for being too "bizarre" or "out there". Donnie Darko, Old Boy, Battle Royale, and Cemetery Man are a few that I can think of. Well those and Power Rangers. :D

Its funny that you mention Wizard of Oz in this it had something to do with the movie ZARDOZ = wiZARD of OZ.
Seems to make enough sense to me. Giant floating heads appear in both movies. :yes: There goes my theory that the Zardoz head is really Power Rangers' Zordon during his troubled teenage years though. :(

Since you guys seem to consider it a brilliant film I'm intrigued enough to look this up for a rental at the library now. With any luck they'll have a copy. :thumbsup: