PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch figure line?

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 06:42 PM
If you say collecting is for kids, why did you sell out the license for 12 inch figures to Sideshow, which makes it impossible for kids to collect them?

Did you think kids didn't want to play with 12 inch figures?

Is that what you polls told you?

bigbarada
11-24-2007, 07:04 PM
That's what the 12" figure sales told them.

Like I mentioned in the playsets thread, Hasbro doesn't necessarily interpret a failure at retail like they should. Hasbro's 12" line was a joke in terms of quality. It failed because a vast majority of the figures just looked awful. However, Hasbro sees the failure as lack of interest in 12" figures not as "we need to improve the quality of these figures if we want to remain competitive."

Plus the stigma of 12" figures with removable clothing is too close to being a "doll" for a boy's toy line. Father's don't like their kids playing with Star Wars 'dolls.' Star Wars 'action figures' has less of a feminine connotation, thus it's more acceptable.

It's should be no surprise, the 12" line failed in the vintage days also, for many of the same reasons.

Exhaust Port
11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
It's a double edged sword. The pre-Sideshow figures were well priced but most suffered from awful sculpting and scale. The collectors complained that they wanted a more accurate figure especially since the 12" scale lends itself to great detail. Well we got it but the attractive pricing of the previous figures was shot and we now have high priced/highly detailed figures. The new figures are amazing but the price does keep a number of collectors away, myself being one of them. I almost exclusively collected the 12" line until the line was revamped by Sideshow. I love the new figures but the price has kept me from buying any. One of these days I'll treat myself to one if I see a "must have" figure but until then I'll remain an online window-shopper.

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 09:57 AM
It's a double edged sword. The pre-Sideshow figures were well priced but most suffered from awful sculpting and scale. The collectors complained that they wanted a more accurate figure especially since the 12" scale lends itself to great detail. Well we got it but the attractive pricing of the previous figures was shot and we now have high priced/highly detailed figures. The new figures are amazing but the price does keep a number of collectors away, myself being one of them. I almost exclusively collected the 12" line until the line was revamped by Sideshow. I love the new figures but the price has kept me from buying any. One of these days I'll treat myself to one if I see a "must have" figure but until then I'll remain an online window-shopper.

I agree with you here. I have one and only one SSC figure so far. I'm not a fan of any of their human sculpts. The whole exclusive portion of the figures also turned me off. While these look nice is superb packaging, IMO these figures should not stay in the packaging forever. If they do, then they are no better than statues and might as well have NO articulation. At least that way, more attention to detail COULD be placed on sculpt and costume.

I bought the Hasbro figures for fun. Detail while not great was acceptable for the majority of figs to me. The price was reasonable.

Exhaust Port
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
So true, 12" figures must be out of the box when displayed. That's another result of highly priced "exclusive" figures is that it leads to more being kept MIB since so much money was spent on them in the first place.

JON9000
11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
There were a couple of Hasbro 12" figs that really were pretty awesome. I think the Gamorrean guard was my favorite. VOTC Luke and Boba were good, too, and the Speederbike with Scout was completely incredible. If those couldn't sell, then obviously 12" is an adult market and therefore needs to sell at a collectible price point in order to make money on smaller numbers. So, I guess my answer to the first post is, yeah, that's about right.

The good news is Hasbro put out a bunch before hanging it up, and they are mostly quite resonable on ebay.

Exhaust Port
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
There were a number of really great 12" figures put out by Hasbro for sure. I felt they were really turning the line around up to the point they stopped making them. The hits were a lot more than the misses for sure.

pkalan70
11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
For everyone who complains about Hasbro, simply think of the 12 inch bounty hunter lineup. Bossk, IG-88, Boba Fett, Zuckuss and the rest. Do you think Sideshow will put out any of these, its been 3 years and still no Fett, do you honestly think they will make Bossk?? Would you rather have 10 or 12 detailed expensive fragile exclusive missing piece mail order pre order figures that kids could not collect ever. Or, above average versions of hundreds of different characters for everyone to collect? Me, I'll stick with Hasbro on this one.

bigbarada
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM
For everyone who complains about Hasbro, simply think of the 12 inch bounty hunter lineup. Bossk, IG-88, Boba Fett, Zuckuss and the rest. Do you think Sideshow will put out any of these, its been 3 years and still no Fett, do you honestly think they will make Bossk?? Would you rather have 10 or 12 detailed expensive fragile exclusive missing piece mail order pre order figures that kids could not collect ever. Or, above average versions of hundreds of different characters for everyone to collect? Me, I'll stick with Hasbro on this one.

I'm sure all six of the ESB bounty hunters are near the top of Sideshow's "to do" list. I would love to see their take on Bossk.

I really just wish that Sideshow would stick to ONE collectible line. They have the 12" figures, the 18" figures, the life-size decapitated heads, etc. If they would just focus on 12" figures that would be best.

JediTricks
12-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Yeah, let's sit back and think a minute about Hasbro's 12" Dengar and Boba Fett. Those were real triumphs. Nothing at all wrong with either of those entries whatsoever. :rolleyes:

And as good as Bossk is, he's still stuck on that stupid tapered GI Joe body like the rest where the upper body is larger in scale than the lower half.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I also loved the IG-88, the Zam Wessell, the darth maul on his sith speeder, The Emperor, Han and Luke as Storm Troopers, Chewbacca, yeah the one with the real fur on it, that one was my favorite. Hasbro has done a great job on the 12" line, and it's sad you can't go to retail and get a star wars 12" figure, but we got a great run out of them before hasbro folded.

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Zam Wesell? That figure had a huge head and a doll body. That's another Bounty Hunter on the list I'd say is bad.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Ugh, the Zam figure was Barbi in SW clothes. By far the worst female figure they ever produced....and sadly I have one.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I liked Zam, and compared to her other offerings (which is one of the things i based it off of) that was the nest figure hasbro made of the second tier villian. And come on who doesn't think Barbie as a bounty hunter is kind hot!:love:

I thought the Greedo was the worst one they ever produced...nasty figure. I wasn't a huge fan of the first Luke either, though the POTJ ultimate Luke was a great idea for a figure, just a little costly.