PDA

View Full Version : All right... ENOUGH WITH THE DARTH VADERS!!!

El Chuxter
11-25-2007, 01:39 AM
We all love Darth Vader. He is possibly the greatest film villain ever.

That said, GIVE US A DAMNED BREAK!!!

Right now, I can easily travel to four Targets, two KBs, six Wal-Marts, two K-Marts, two TRU's, and various other assorted stores that sell SW figures (such as the three Kohls and bazillion drugstores).

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that not only is Vader a major pegwarmer at each stores, but he's a pegwarmer in EIGHT different versions.

Okay, that's packaging versions. I'm sick of even looking at Vader, so I've not checked to see if the figures are all the same ROTS sculpt, which they probably are.

I can easily find a few dozen of:
1) TAC Coin Album Vader
2) TAC Vader with Obi-Wan's cape
3) Legends Vader 1
4) Legends Vader 2
(I'm not even sure what the hell the difference is in the two Legends Vaders. I just know they're on different cards.)
5) Tantive IV Battlepack
6) Betrayal on Bespin Battlepack
7) Comic 2-pack Vader with Rebel Trooper
8) Comic 2-pack Infinities Vader with Leia

This is not even counting the umpteen gazillion Anakin figures that are technically Darth Vader. Just the ones wearing the armor.

Nor is it counting the K-Mart tins that just started showing up and which are destined to pegwarm. Nor the several holdovers from 2006 (and even as far back as 2005 in a few of the stores).

In fact, the only Darth Vader who hasn't pegwarmed in the last few years is the McQuarrie Vader, whom you were kind enough to shortpack despite his having variant heads and (IIRC) being part of the latest Ultimate Galactic Hunt gimmick.

Don't even think of us. Think of the casual collectors, like little Billy. He will see three different carded Vaders at once! It's confusing. Plus, Vader is in the majority of the multipacks that don't sell quickly. The poor kid will be so overwhelmed, he's likely to pick up a Barbie doll instead by mistake.

Come on. Vader's the main character. But he's only one guy. We collectors aren't going to buy the same figure over and over again, and a lot of us are sick of Vader altogether and won't buy any new sculpt until you find a way to give us one with a two-stage removable helmet. And Billy only needs a grand total of one.

There are other major characters, you know. How about showing some love for some of them that you've ignored lately? Leia's been overlooked in the last year; it's been years since we got a new Qui-Gon or any Jar Jar or TPM Anakin; and there are still several dozen possible Padmes left to produce.

Otherwise, we're looking at a repeat of the hundreds of stores nationwide with full aisles of Squid Head back in 1984, and we're looking at it a lot sooner than any of us would like.

bigbarada
11-25-2007, 01:48 AM
McQuarrie Vader is pegwarming over here. In fact, he's the only McQuarrie figure that doesn't sell out consistently.

I remember the good old days when Star War was about a wide-eyed farmboy who embarked on a hero's quest.

Now it's just about some whiny brat in a black leather suit who slaughters children with a laser sword.

decadentdave
11-25-2007, 01:50 AM
And enough with the damned Snake Eyes already! No, seriously! :D

El Chuxter
11-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Since decadentdave brought it up, if you're not going to slow down on Snake Eyes, can you at least re-enlist Larry Hama (or anyone who's ever even just cracked open a book on Japanese history and the martial arts) to make sure they're not ridiculously stupid? Logically, neither Snake Eyes nor Storm Shadow (or any other character, minus maybe that retard Budo) would wear samurai armor. Given that the Sigma Six figures appear to have an anime influence, you might want to consider that your target audience probably knows more about ninjas and samurai than you do, and not pander to them.

2-1B
11-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Far too many Kwinn the Eskimo figures as well, Hasbro, please cut back...

Sinscia Fat'o
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
In my area, wal mart has four pegs of nothing but bespin Saga vaders cloggin up the pegs. It's sad to see them raping vader so badly. It's also sad that other characters like leia, jar-jar, Padmae, and ETC can't get more or even needed figures.

Kidhuman
11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
In my area, wal mart has four pegs of nothing but bespin Saga vaders cloggin up the pegs. It's sad to see them raping vader so badly. It's also sad that other characters like leia, jar-jar, Padmae, and ETC can't get more or even needed figures.

The old Princeton WM eh? Was there yesterday and couldn't believe they reproduced more while on the pegs

2-1B
11-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Cell division.

DarkArtist
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
while I agree with the Stop the Darth Vader thread, I must point out that Lucas has stated that the entire Saga revolves around the Anakin / Vader / Skywalker storyline. I mean I would love for Hasbro to perhaps maybe only give us 1 Vader, 1 Luke etc per year but that's not in the cards.

El Chuxter
11-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm not even saying it has to only be one per year.

But nine (again, only counting the armored ones!) on the shelves at one time is a bit excessive. Especially when some of them are in multipacks that probably would have more widespread appeal if they were without Vader.

A Vader on the pegs at all times isn't a bad idea. But consider also that not only are there nine versions out there, easily available right now, but Hasbro is still currently shipping eight of them.

Also consider that, in the grand scheme of the Skywalker story, Padme and Shmi are pretty damned important, since they're the reason Vader turns naughty. Yet we're lucky to get one or two Padmes per year, and the only Shmi we got (which is pretty outdated now) was six years ago.

Devo
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't call the Shmi figure outdated. I can't see them doing any better now in fact. A ball-joint neck would inevitably suck and softgoods, the only other different thing they could do with Shmi, would by no means be guaranteed to look good.

On the issue of Vader though, yes it is ridiculous. By all means keep him out there but 9 different ones at once is ever so slightly absurd.

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
The Vader collection is growing on me. After Holiday Vader I thought it would be neat to see Vader in a different suit for every occasion. We need a camoflauge Vader for Endor ground assault, Vader in all-white armor for Hoth stealth attack, neon day-glo Vader for aquatic deep sea missions on Calamar, metallic-blue anti-Force Vader armor that is impervious to Force attacks, grid-iron armor Vader with holographic imaging properties that refract light and can transform his appearance at will. The possibilities are endless. Hasbro need look no further than their old Batman line for inspiration.

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I almost forgot...

Solar Shield Vader - Orange armor that harnesses solar rays and creates an energy shield around him.

Blaster Deflector Vader - Reflective chrome armor alloy that deflects blaster attacks.

Sky Attack Vader - Anti-Gravity repulsor pack for aerial assault.

There may be others...

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 01:11 PM
How about:

Techno Virus Vader - Vader as a computer virus that infects Rebel network computers

Sith Training Vader - Vader in minimal training gear for combat practice.

Kaiburr Armor Vader - Crystalline armor for volcanic environment missions.

Alright, I know... don't give them any ideas!

Battle Droid
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Only new Vader I want is a new ROTS burnt Vader with non-covered removable mechanical legs w/ medical capsule.

Engineernerd
12-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Only new Vader I want is a new ROTS burnt Vader with non-covered removable mechanical legs w/ medical capsule.

I'd even take a Legends version of the ROTS Crispy Anakin/Vader. I've only ever seen one and it was in somebody elses hands already at a comic book store. That's what shoud be in the Legends line, not the other Vader retreads.

Blue2th
12-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I thought I read somewhere we might be getting a Funeral Pyre Vader. You know with marmalade flames.
Then of course there's the ripped to shreds one we're getting for the video game.

2-1B
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
They did Torture Rack Han, so now they should do Torture Rack Shmi.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Okay, that's packaging versions. I'm sick of even looking at Vader, so I've not checked to see if the figures are all the same ROTS sculpt, which they probably are.

I can easily find a few dozen of:
1) TAC Coin Album Vader
2) TAC Vader with Obi-Wan's cape
3) Legends Vader 1
4) Legends Vader 2
(I'm not even sure what the hell the difference is in the two Legends Vaders. I just know they're on different cards.)
5) Tantive IV Battlepack
6) Betrayal on Bespin Battlepack
7) Comic 2-pack Vader with Rebel Trooper
8) Comic 2-pack Infinities Vader with LeiaI think there is only one Legends Vader in the suit. The other Vader in the Legends line is Anakin.

Devo
12-07-2007, 09:39 AM
This whole Vader obsession of Hasbros only started with Revenge of the Sith if memory serves. I remember a time not so long ago when Vader didn't have to be in every third basic figure wave and almost every multipack. Someone should actually do this research - find out how much of an increase in Vaders there has been and exactly when it can be said to have started. Hasbro really jumped on Lucas' ''its the story of Darth Vader'' bandwagon. Like someone said there are other main characters many of them every bit as iconic and Star Wars as Darth f'ing Vader.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
To start with, in the entire POTF2 line, I think there were only two basic Vaders. The first hulk one, then the removable helmet one. Actually, I guess we had two more with the Flashback and Commtech one, but that is still not quite one a year. There were some others in that time though, such as the one with Xizor, Complete Galaxy, the one that came with Stormtrooper Luke in that one game, and the ones in the cinema scenes. Still, that is nothing compared to today.

bigbarada
12-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Vintage Vaders:
1977:
Standard figure

POTF2 Vaders:
1995:
POTF2 standard figure

1996:
SOTE Vader vs. Xizor 2-pack
Electronic F/X Vader

1998:
POTF2 Removable Helmet Vader
Final Jedi Duel Cinema Scene
Complete Galaxy Vader
Gunner Station Vader
Flashback Vader
Epic Force Vader

1999:
POTF2 Commtech Vader

POTJ Vaders:
2000:
Dagobah Vader
Masters of the Darkside Vader/Maul 2-pack

2001:
Emperor's Wrath Vader

2002:
25th Anniversary Vader vs. Ben 2-pack

Saga Vaders:
2002:
Bespin Duel Vader
Unleashed Vader

2003:
Throne Room Duel Vader
HOF Vader
Unleashed Vader Unmasked

OTC Vaders:
2004:
ANH Vader
ESB Vader
ROTJ Vader
Vintage Vader
Darth Vader's TIE Fighter pack-in
Hunt for the Millenium Falcon Multi-Pack Vader

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 03:00 AM
The Escape the Death Star (1998?) game had a unique Vader, similar to the removable helmet version but with only the dome being removable.

bigbarada
12-08-2007, 01:31 PM
We had the 500th Vader released around 2004 or 2005 as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-08-2007, 01:42 PM
We had the 500th Vader released around 2004 or 2005 as well.
It sure seems like there have been 500 of him.

bigbarada
12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I believe it was 2004 when I started to feel that Hasbro was milking the whole Vader thing.

Jargo
01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WiloZd1H4ow&feature=related

bigbarada
01-12-2008, 07:06 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WiloZd1H4ow&feature=related

:D I want a figure of that chipmunk before I want another Vader figure.

Jargo
01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
darth prairie dog.

jjreason
01-13-2008, 03:22 PM
That list is pretty close, but you don't get the full effect of the oversaturation without going into the nasty re-release details.

We must have had at least 100 opportunities to buy Darth Vader in some form (not including EPIII Anis, either) since 1995. Gunner Stations, Packed in with his TIE Fighter in the OTC, the OTC repaint for Hoth, the TRU 4 pack Imp set.... it goes on forever.

Not very often you see him sitting on the pegs, however.... :thinking: