PDA

View Full Version : Wyland: One of my favorite artists

Tycho
11-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Besides Star Wars artists Jan Duursema, and cover artist Dave Dorman, I love Wyland's work. He has several studios in Southern California and as a scuba diving enthusiast, he paints the beauty in nature that he sees.

And he sculpts it, too.

While I collect Star Wars stuff that costs from $7 a figure to maybe $400 for a SideShow Jabba The Hutt sculpt with all his throne enviornment and its accessories, if I had REAL money (and a house) I'd be all over Wyland's art.

Check out some of these! (http://www.wylandgalleries.com/)

There is a glass table that's presently in his studio which is upheld by sculptures of dolphins breaking through the table like its the surface of the ocean. Price = $36,000 supposedly! I might pay a few thousand for it if I were bidding what I thought should go into it, (had I completed the work and been the artist myself, I'd probably want at least maybe $5,000 to twice that for it) but the darn stuff is so awesome.

Sharks, sea turtles, whales, fish, mermaids, dolphins, sea otters, seals, killer whales, polar bears - all beautiful sculpts or seaside paintings that just immacuately capture the light.

Check out his site and post what you think.

There ARE other things to collect besides SW, but it would not be easy.

Harrison Ford is one of his customers that commissions original art pieces for $300,000 or more. There is an autographed picture of Wyland and Ford (with girlfriend Callista Flockheart) in Wyland's studio down here. (He actually has studios for his art internationally located, and resides in Hawaii a good part of every year).

Dude: I admire this guy!

Attached is an image of a desk, "Wyland Style." It's currently $30,256!

I can't ever complain about SideShow or Master Replicas prices, now.

bobafrett
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I thought you were talking of Scott from STP now Velvet Revolver fame. Which reminds me, Slash of GNR and now Velvet Revolver is supposed to be at Borders bookstore one town over from where I live tonight.

I do love artwork like that Tycho!

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
This one is my favorite.

Tycho
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Chux, who is that guy? He looks like a game show host.

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 04:46 PM
You're joking, right?

You don't recognize the genius behind Tek Jansen? Who announced his candidacy to run as a Democrat in South Carolina (after planning to run on both tickets, but found out the filing fee was a lot cheaper for Democratic candidates)? The guy who challenged Sean Penn to a metaphor-off? Who won the battle of the Ben & Jerry's celebrity ice creams against Willie Nelson (and then jammed with him)?

You sadden me, Tycho. I thought you'd appreciate his brand of political humor. Turn on your TV to Comedy Central at 11:30 tonight. He's been in re-runs since the strike started, but it'll be new to you. :D

Tycho
11-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh, that's that Colbert guy, right?