PDA

View Full Version : mcquarrie vehicles??

pkalan70
11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
the figures are selling
would anyone buy the vehicles??

curious is all

i would
the falcon especially looks awesome

bigbarada
11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Didn't they try this once back in 1998? Didn't seem to do well at all, even though I still really like the concept Snowspeeder.

I don't actually believe that McQuarrie was responsible for many of the vehicle designs. I think that was more Joe Johnston's department.

I really love most of the concepts for the ESB Scout Walker. Those would be awesome as toys.

While we're at it, what about beasts? I would love to get a concept Jabba, maybe even a figure of the human "stand-in" for Jabba from ANH. He's be a pretty cool action figure.

Then there's the rat-like early TaunTauns or the Ewok's beast of burden.

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 03:00 PM
As loathe as I am to suggest a re-release of stuff that went on clearance, it might be a good idea. They should probably re-release the concept Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon from a few years ago, too.

Concept TaunTaun would be sweet. What about the Rancor with the tentacles? Or the little furball Ewoks? Or "extremely elegant" Lando?

stillakid
11-27-2007, 03:19 PM
the figures are selling
would anyone buy the vehicles??

curious is all

i would
the falcon especially looks awesome

If it's a 3 3/4" toy and has the Star Wars logo attached, I'm in. :)

Jayspawn
11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
The EU Airspeeder w/ pilot they did back in the day was a McQuarrie design. I think its a neat toy and if they re-released it under the McQ Signature Series line it would probably sell.

jedi master sal
11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
The EU Airspeeder w/ pilot they did back in the day was a McQuarrie design. I think its a neat toy and if they re-released it under the McQ Signature Series line it would probably sell.

Yeah but why do that when you can get the set for $10 shipped? I know, because I just did this with the Airspeeder and speeder bike sets. Just need the Hoth one and I'm good on those.

decadentdave
11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Galoob did these with the Action Fleet. I never bought them as I wasn't into AF but I always thought they were really cool looking. I was a big fan of the Snowspeeder/Cloud Car that Hasbro put out in the POTJ line. I know these sold very poorly but I think with a good repaint and repackaged under the McQuarrie subline these could do better. Who wouldn't want a McQuarrie AT-AT or TIE Fighter or X-Wing to go with them?

JON9000
11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah but why do that when you can get the set for $10 shipped?

Ex-freaking-actly.

While we're at it, what about beasts? I would love to get a concept Jabba.

I actually like this idea more. There were some really awesome concept Jabbas. One really did look like Sydney Greenstreet, complete with fez hat.

mabudonicus
11-29-2007, 04:25 PM
That's funny about the stand-in Jabba, just a few days ago I was joking about how there should be a PERFECTLY movie-accurate Jabba complete with the cutout back and all them dudes inside with the TVs etc- kinda like my idea to include little sticks with the new 'Deuce to make him exactly "out of shot" accurate :D

:beard: Iso & Baws

That'd be F-ing SWEET

Sinscia Fat'o
11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I really don't think the vechiles would do well, since most vechiles that are out now are shelf warmers (at least in my area) i don't think even adding concept or any artists name would help the sells of these things, even though i thought the concept cloud car and speeder were cool toys they where clearence fodder within a few monthes and still sat on the shelves around here, but i think a concept Jabba would be a cool toy, hell i think a figure of any Jabba would be cool to have out again.

pkalan70
11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
The vehicles are clearance fodder because how many times can you buy a jedi starfighter, no matter whos name and color it is?
All repaints, all the time.
Unfair to compare repaints with new molds of vehicles that we have seen pictures of since 1977.
As far as action fleet releasing concept vehicles, they did not sell when they gave us a small concept with a regular size repaint, but they did sell when the concept vehicles were back to action fleet size.
By the way, how could you not collect action fleet vehicles? They did a ton of them, and if anyone bothered to open them, and look at them, they were filled with hidden accessories not even mentioned on the packaging. Hidden panels, tons of stuff, awesome.

bigbarada
11-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes, if the $20 vehicles being released were X-Wings, A-Wings, AT-STs, Skiffs and other high-profile OT vehicles, they would be moving a lot faster. Instead of the umpteenth repaint of the Ep2 or Ep3 Jedi Starfighter.

decadentdave
11-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Look on the bright side, at least we are getting the Jedi Starfighters with Hyperspace Rings next year. :thumbsup:

pkalan70
11-30-2007, 10:33 PM
tell me you are kidding
im going to have to buy them all AGAIN???

pkalan70
11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes, if the $20 vehicles being released were X-Wings, A-Wings, AT-STs, Skiffs and other high-profile OT vehicles, they would be moving a lot faster. Instead of the umpteenth repaint of the Ep2 or Ep3 Jedi Starfighter.

or a BESPIN CLOUD CAR!!!!!!
c'mon already hasbro
please

bigbarada
12-01-2007, 12:46 AM
or a BESPIN CLOUD CAR!!!!!!
c'mon already hasbro
please

Hasbro says that they don't have the original molds anymore and casting from a vintage toy would produce results that were below even Hasbro's low standards (considering the TAC Spirit Anakin, that's saying a lot).

So, the only option would be to start from scratch and Hasbro feels that the appeal of the vehicle is just not enough to warrant the effort.:rolleyes:

decadentdave
12-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Hasbro's incessant excuses about cost issues to produce vehicles is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. How come they can produce large vehicles like the ARC-170 and Republic Gunship and they can't just make a new friggin Cloud Car? That's a load of B.S. Heck, they even gave us that lame excuse for a Sith Infiltrator this year which is below even Hasbro's standards so what's stopping them from giving us a Cloud Car? I think they are deliberatly holding back so that they have something to make as the line continues to exhaust itself and need something to reinvigorate the line with. They can't keep giving us endless repaints of Jedi Starfighters for the next 10 years.

jedi master sal
12-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Hasbro's incessant excuses about cost issues to produce vehicles is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. How come they can produce large vehicles like the ARC-170 and Republic Gunship and they can't just make a new friggin Cloud Car? That's a load of B.S. Heck, they even gave us that lame excuse for a Sith Infiltrator this year which is below even Hasbro's standards...

You're right Dave. And here's another thought to this, while the Infiltrator might be deemed the iconic ship of TPM:
1) There is ONLY one of them, no reason to repaint to sell more.
2) TPM sucked for most people, so the appeal for the vehicle isn't there as much
3) Cloud cars were seen several times on screen (More than one at times), giving us reason to purchase more than one of this mold
4) We already have pilots for the cloud card and they need a ship to man.

Etc. etc.

this old shoulld be so freakin' easy to make since it's basically the same on each half. With exception to the gun holes the hull of each pod IS the same. So just insert the cross bar piece and BAM you're done.

Granted I'm over simplifying this, but still..

decadentdave
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
What they are really telling us is "We're not in the business of making new toys, we're in the business of recycling everything we have already made so that we don't have to spend a dime on R&D or production costs and can reap the profits of all of our past labors."

bigbarada
12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
What they are really telling us is "We're not in the business of making new toys, we're in the business of recycling everything we have already made so that we don't have to spend a dime on R&D or production costs and can reap the profits of all of our past labors."

Translation: "We're a business, not a charity, what did you expect?"