PDA

View Full Version : Probe Droid or Probot?

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I never understood where that term "probot" came from, but apparently it's official even though it wasn't used in the film. It's a little like Destroyer Droid / Droideka, except "probot" doesn't have the commonality associated with those terms. It's also not an elegant word, either spoken or written, there's something off about it to me.

That said, I've been on the wrong side of those things before, "boosh" vs "bowsh" pronunciations, so maybe there are fans of this term as well.

So, which do you think of it as, "Probe Droid" or "Probot"?

figrin bran
11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I've always called it a "probot".

El Chuxter
11-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Dave Grohl says Probot. When in doubt, I always side with Mr Grohl.

stillakid
11-28-2007, 01:08 AM
I don't mind either term really. But reading this made me realize that ESB brought us the PROBOT and LOBOT. Coincidence?

Mad Slanted Powers
11-28-2007, 01:32 AM
The movie says Imperial Probe Droid. I always referred to it as a probe droid. I guess the vintage toys said Probot, but I never saw that back then. TPM referred to Destroyer Droids as both Droidekas and Destroyers. I didn't understand what Nute was saying though, and the script just said destroyer droids in both instances. I'm not sure if I've seen any toys refer to them as anything other than destroyer droids.

El Chuxter
11-28-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure either Nute or Rune refers to Droidekas, and pronounces it "Drah-DAY-kah."

Tonysmo
11-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Probe Droid sounds so.. invasive..

decadentdave
11-28-2007, 02:36 AM
I've always called it a "probot".

Leia calls it an "Imperial Probe Droid."

"Probot" is never mentioned in the film.

I agree though that it sounds cooler like the old Kenner Turret and Probot playset.

Of course, there's the whole Lay-yah/Lee-uh debate as well. :D

stillakid
11-28-2007, 10:27 AM

Well, she's got me on my knees....I beggin' darlin' please....

JON9000
11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Leia calls it an "Imperial Probe Droid."

I say IMPERIAL PROBE DROID.

On the whole Lee-uh/Lay-uh business, only Dodonna calls her Lee-uh as I recall, so I can discount that, much as I discount Luke calling her Carrie.

Did 3po call her Lee-uh? I cannot remember.

Kidhuman
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I say Imperial Proe Droid. Never heard Probot until POTF2.

decadentdave
11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I say IMPERIAL PROBE DROID.

On the whole Lee-uh/Lay-uh business, only Dodonna calls her Lee-uh as I recall, so I can discount that, much as I discount Luke calling her Carrie.

Did 3po call her Lee-uh? I cannot remember.

In ANH Threepio refers to her as Lee-uh. Governor Tarkin refers to her as Lee-uh, "Princess Lee-uh, before your execution, I would like you to be my guest at a ceremony that will make this battlestation operational." It wasn't until ESB that she was first referred to as Lay-yah. Threepio then suddenly calls her Mistress Lay-yah. She is never again referred to as Lee-uh by anyone post ANH.

Mike Troxell
11-28-2007, 06:33 PM
What about Han? Hahn versus Haan?

decadentdave
11-28-2007, 06:37 PM
What about Han? Hahn versus Haan?

"There's still a chance to save Haan... at the east (gasp) platform."

Lando referred to him as Haan and Threepio says "It sounds like Haan."

Apparently in the Star Wars universe there appears to be alternating dialects depending on which system you're in.

Slicker
11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
I think I've always called it a Probot.

It kinda makes sense. It's just a shortened version of Probe Robot. Try saying that 5 times fast and you end up saying probot anyways.

stillakid
11-28-2007, 08:45 PM

It kinda makes sense. It's just a shortened version of Probe Robot. Try saying that 5 times fast and you end up saying probot anyways.

I made it to seven times.

DarthQuack
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I was waiting for an anal probe joke to come....but I guess not.....I say probe droid.....Probot sounds like Lobot's lover.

decadentdave
11-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Which brings us to the question of Lobot himself. Just what the hell is a Lobot anyway? Is that supposed to be short for some kind of low-tech robot? After all, he's only a cyborg. Perhaps the big cranial wrap-around disco headphones he wears is the product of being Lobotomized so they just call him Lobot for short.

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 04:16 AM
I've always called it a "probot".I don't believe you. :D

I don't mind either term really. But reading this made me realize that ESB brought us the PROBOT and LOBOT. Coincidence?Yeah, Lucasfilm came up with Probot and Kenner came up with Lobot.

It kinda makes sense. It's just a shortened version of Probe Robot. Try saying that 5 times fast and you end up saying probot anyways.It depends on how drunk you are, I think. ;) I just said it 9 times ("nine times?" - Ed Rooney) and then out came "probobot" which was unexpected but way better than "probot".

decadentdave
11-30-2007, 04:29 AM
Yeah, Lucasfilm came up with Probot and Kenner came up with Lobot.

And Steve Jobs came up with that thing he wears on his head... a LoPod.

mtriv73
11-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Perhaps the big cranial wrap-around disco headphones he wears is the product of being Lobotomized so they just call him Lobot for short.

Yes, that's where the name came from. There's an EU story (so it doesn't really count:razz:) about how he was some villian who was lobotomized and got himself turned into a cyborg to attone for his transgressions. (Or something like that, I didn't waste my time reading it.)

At any rate, I'm going to side with KH and call it a "Proe droid." His typo makes it sound more professional and less like something a doctor would use to explore Uranus.

CaptainSolo1138
11-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Dave Grohl says Probot. When in doubt, I always side with Mr Grohl.
F you, thought stealer.

I prefer the N64 "Rogue Squadron" pronunciation of it: "Pobe Doids!"

Slicker
11-30-2007, 10:02 AM
It depends on how drunk you are, I think. ;) I just said it 9 times ("nine times?" - Ed Rooney) and then out came "probobot" which was unexpected but way better than "probot".In case you forget I'm about 16 hours ahead of you so it was about 8 in the morning here and I was at work. I wasn't drunk (at least not yet ;)) and I STILL came out with probot!!! :p

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
In case you forget I'm about 16 hours ahead of you so it was about 8 in the morning here and I was at work. I wasn't drunk (at least not yet ;)) and I STILL came out with probot!!! :p
What, you guys aren't drunk on duty 24/7? But there's rice wine and homemade hard cider to get ripped on! Then you can probobot yourselves into a party. ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
When it comes to pronunciations, I wouldn't necessarily trust Lucas. I don't recall if it was DVD commentary or an interview, but he pronounced Dooku more than one way, but usually not the way it was pronounced in the movie. I think he said DOUGH-koo, dough-KOO and doo-KOO.

mabudonicus
12-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Just listen to all the pronunciations of "Corkoshentay" in TPM and you'll have a good idea of how much Luca$ cares about how his creations names are pronounced :D
:beard: Iso & Baws

Seriously, EVERY time it's said TOTALLY differently, some versions can't even be reproduced here since the censor would kill them ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Brought to you by RoncoTM the makers of the Pocket FishermanTM (the PockermanTM in Star Wars markets) comes the next great invention in espionage and tracking: the ProbotTM ! It slices (with its arms), it dices (with its lasers), look at that tomato! You could even cut a tin can (with its lasers, again) with it, but you wouldn't want toooooooooo...

Seriously, I think ProbotTM and DroidekaTM are the SW universe's versions of brand names. Like CokeTM (for soda or cola), KleenexTM (for facial tissue), RollerbladesTM (for in-line skates), etc. So, you could go to any .99 Credits Only Stores and get a "destroyer droid" or "probe droid," but if you want the real thing, you'll have to pay more.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Just listen to all the pronunciations of "Corkoshentay" in TPM and you'll have a good idea of how much Luca$ cares about how his creations names are pronounced :D

Seriously, EVERY time it's said TOTALLY differently, some versions can't even be reproduced here since the censor would kill them ;)What the heck is "Corkoshentay"? Are you referring to Coruscant? I don't recall much variation in that. I do recall listening to the Dark Empire audio dramatization and I think they pronounced it "CORE-uhs-Cant".

mabudonicus
12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
It didn't get QUITE as bad as corkoshuntay but pretty close- chorus-kant, corush shunt, chorus-sent, I swear it's different every time you hear it which just strikes me as odd- like our capital, Ottawa, you hear slight variations based on dialect I suppose but nothing quite like that
The buddy who first uttered "Corkoshentay" (with a wacky fake Spanish accent, try it you'll like it) is coming over later today, good times :D

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Actually, I did watch a scene from AOTC yesterday and Dooku say CORE-uh-sant. I don't recall anyone in the prequels saying the last syllable with a K sound though. The first syllable has been core, cur or coor, and the last syllable has been ant or ahnt. I know up in Canada they like to say Mazda so that it rhymes with spaz, but down here we usually say it so that is rhymes with cause.

Mike Troxell
12-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't care what "proof" exists--there is no way my obsessive-compulsive mind can pronounce AT-AT anything other than "ay-tee-ay-tee." It is not "at at!" If it were, how would we pronounce the AT-ST or the AT-PT? It would be chaos!

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't care what "proof" exists--there is no way my obsessive-compulsive mind can pronounce AT-AT anything other than "ay-tee-ay-tee." It is not "at at!" If it were, how would we pronounce the AT-ST or the AT-PT? It would be chaos!
I pronounced AT-AT as "Imperial Walker". :)

stillakid
12-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I pronounced AT-AT as "Imperial Walker". :)

I pronounced it as "Mom! I want that for Christmas!" :)

JediTricks
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
"at-at" is how I've always heard it said, and "Aye-tee-ess-tee" for the others because 8080 sounds funny, but didn't we blast that one to pieces in another thread?

PROBOTS IN DISGUISE!

decadentdave
12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Actually, I did watch a scene from AOTC yesterday and Dooku say CORE-uh-sant. I don't recall anyone in the prequels saying the last syllable with a K sound though. The first syllable has been core, cur or coor, and the last syllable has been ant or ahnt. I know up in Canada they like to say Mazda so that it rhymes with spaz, but down here we usually say it so that is rhymes with cause.

I think you can get one of those for breakfast at MACDonald's. Either that or Mickey D's.:D

decadentdave
12-02-2007, 06:25 PM
PROBOTS IN DISGUISE!

Disguised as what? An Imperial Probe Droid?

JimJamBonds
12-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Personally I say probe droid.

CaptainSolo1138
12-03-2007, 06:57 AM
"at-at" is how I've always heard it said, and "Aye-tee-ess-tee" for the others because 8080 sounds funny, but didn't we blast that one to pieces in another thread?

Yeah, that was a whole separate thread. Which was it? That was fun.

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
It was the pronunciation thread, and I don't have the link right now because I'm lazy.

Domo arigato, mister Proboto.

So, in ESB we have this probe droid/probot which is like 8 feet tall and has a hyperdrive shell, and in TPM we have "probe droids" that basically a flying basketball. Granted, they're both droids and they're both probes, but how could they call them the same thing?

decadentdave
12-03-2007, 03:08 PM
In ANH we have the probe/cam droids in Mos Eisley and in the Prequels we have the senate cam droids. We also have that little scurrier mouse droid that Chewbacca howls out on the Death Star.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-03-2007, 09:42 PM
It was the pronunciation thread, and I don't have the link right now because I'm lazy.

Domo arigato, mister Proboto.

So, in ESB we have this probe droid/probot which is like 8 feet tall and has a hyperdrive shell, and in TPM we have "probe droids" that basically a flying basketball. Granted, they're both droids and they're both probes, but how could they call them the same thing?Sprint cars at the dirt track and formula 1 cars are both racecars. An MD-80 and a Boeing 777 are both passenger planes. I'm sure that the probe droids have different designations that that can be used to distinguish them if necessary.

decadentdave
12-03-2007, 09:52 PM
We also have Senate Cam Droids which are very similar to the floating Cam Droids in Mos Eisley.

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Just because I drive milk home from the store doesn't make my car a milk delivery truck. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Just because I drive milk home from the store doesn't make my car a milk delivery truck. :pIt's a personal milk delivery truck. You must be special to have one of those!

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Who delivers the blue milk on Tatooine? It's just a moisture farm. Does blue milk come from Bantha udders?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Who delivers the blue milk on Tatooine? It's just a moisture farm. Does blue milk come from Bantha udders?

Maybe it comes from Max Rebo's kind, Ortolans. Or maybe when you pull Aayla Secura's lekku.

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 01:12 AM
Maybe it comes from Max Rebo's kind, Ortolans. Or maybe when you pull Aayla Secura's lekku.

I like the second answer better! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 01:33 AM
I like the second answer better! :thumbsup:
Even after I pointed out that twi'lek lekku are phallic?

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Even after I pointed out that twi'lek lekku are phallic?

Aayla ain't no tranny!

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Hey, if you want to get your blue milk squirted from phallic-shaped tendrils, that's your business.

Pervert.

;)

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 01:44 AM
Hey, if you want to get your blue milk squirted from phallic-shaped tendrils, that's your business.

Pervert.

;)

Nah, those are just some long sagging udders

Twink.

CaptainSolo1138
12-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I like MSP's idea that they have to milk Max Rebo to get blue milk. I bet he wakes up at 6:00am every day and milks himself so his family can have breakfast then he grabs his lunch pail and heads off to "the office" for the day.

Rocketboy
12-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I think Max Rebo milks himself.