PDA

View Full Version : What's with stores not requiring signatures on credit card transactions?

El Chuxter
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
This is something that really, really bothers me.

I went to Best Buy today to get Bender's Big Score (with the exclusive disc). I get to the register, hand the cashier the movie, and swipe my credit card. Next thing I know, she's handing me a receipt.

"Uh, don't I need to sign for this?"

"Nope," she says, cheerily.

"I don't think you understand. That's not a good thing."

I'm noticing more and more places just not checking anything if the transaction amount is under a certain figure, and it's usually $25 or $50. Is this supposed to be for the sake of convenience? Am I supposed to be pleased as punch that I saved all of three seconds? Is it supposed to be a major plus that no one verifies that I am the owner of the card?

This lady didn't look at my card or ID at all. Worse, I bought some stuff in Home Depot one time using the self-checkout, and didn't have to sign. Call me crazy, but isn't that carte blanche for any credit card thief to just go and buy some lumber?

I have three cards I pay off every month, and which earn me points and cash back. I use them instead of cash, since I get said points and cash back.

So, should my peace of mind be penalized because stores seemingly think it's really cool to not make me verify I am who I say I am and want what I say I want?

I've had a card stolen before, and used at a gas station. Luckily, it was only used at one station, and was easily corrected. But, damn, if any idiot who got his hands on my wallet could go happy-go-lucky at every store in town before I can contact the card issuer, that's a lot of those annoying affadavits to fill out.

Kidhuman
11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree with you Chux. Its absurd. I prefer the electric one you do yourself say at WM or Target. At Sheetz, they have the under $25 limit and it bugs me. Thankfully its the only place around here that does it.

stillakid
11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
What's your card account number, Chux? I'll give the company a call and find out what's going on. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-28-2007, 06:34 PM
This brings us to the more important question: Best Buy has an exclusive disc with Bender's Big Score? What's on it?

Bacta Beast
11-28-2007, 07:34 PM
It's because they're getting ready for the mark of the beast. They won't have to check I.D.s when you have to scan the back of your hand!!!:eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I do not like this as well. No sir; I don't like it. I usually flip out my ID Star Trek communicator-style even if they don't ask. I'd like to say that it's because I've shopped at that store previously and the computer recognizes me, but I'm not that naive.

Speaking of which...

What's your card account number, [name]? I'll give the company a call and find out what's going on. :DMine is 5432123456789101112, Stilla.

Mike Troxell
11-28-2007, 08:34 PM
This brings us to the more important question: Best Buy has an exclusive disc with Bender's Big Score? What's on it?

Storyboard Animatic For Bender's Big Score (part 1)
Layout Animatic for Bender's Big Score (part 1)
Sneak Peek at the next Futurama Feature-Length Adventure The Beast with a Billion Backs

Nothing terribly exciting.

El Chuxter
11-28-2007, 09:59 PM
What's your card account number, Chux? I'll give the company a call and find out what's going on. :D

Hey, thanks! The number is 8675309. :crazed:

stillakid
11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey, thanks! The number is 8675309. :crazed:

I'll let somebody else hit that one off the tee.

Blue2th
11-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't like this new development either.
That's why I got a buddy named cash, and it ain't Johnny.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I'll let somebody else hit that one off the tee.Who can I turn to? :shankright:

plasticfetish
11-30-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm noticing more and more places just not checking anything if the transaction amount is under a certain figure, and it's usually $25 or $50. Is this supposed to be for the sake of convenience? Am I supposed to be pleased as punch that I saved all of three seconds? Is it supposed to be a major plus that no one verifies that I am the owner of the card?This isn't exactly a new thing, as a number of places have been doing it for a few years now.

There's really two separate but related ideas here.

Firstly, about the signature, and how it pertains to the store: For the most part, you sign the slip to agree that you'll pay for your item. You're saying that you won't turn around, deny that you bought an item and stiff the store. In this way, it's largely for their benefit, and is probably more of a requirement based on their theft/fraud insurance, etc. A lot of larger companies pay into services that allow them to instantly verify that your card is a low risk card, and based on what you've been buying, where and how much, they'll know if it's good. They're probably insured against fraud for up to that certain amount.

If your card is stolen, in most cases you won't be responsible for any charges you didn't make. It'll suck that you need to deal with the fraud, but you're already boned if you lost your card, so...

Second point: There's this idea of your signature as a way of verifying your identity. While I'll admit that this whole "no signature" thing makes me a little uncomfortable also, I'm pretty much aware that unless a place is willing to check ID for each and every credit card transaction (and very few to none are), my signature alone isn't worth much. Any idiot can look at the back of my VISA and fake my signature well enough to fool a clerk at Best Buy.

If you're really concerned, you can write "please check ID" on the back of your card, or better yet, set something up with your bank, where your card will always require an ID check. I'll guarantee though, that you'll get pretty sick of it after just a little while.

stillakid
12-01-2007, 12:45 AM
your card will always require an ID check. I'll guarantee though, that you'll get pretty sick of it after just a little while.

I always hand them my driver's license with the credit card whether they ask or not.

2-1B
12-01-2007, 04:09 AM
I'm with PF, I don't see the big deal about it...if it's any type of normal credit card you have protection. I always check my financial stuff online to make sure there's nothing suspicious going on. :)

I don't really see the point in handing your driver's license over automatically with your credit card, what's the point? You're not at risk of fraud being committed by yourself. ;)

plasticfetish
12-01-2007, 04:49 AM
I always check my financial stuff online to make sure there's nothing suspicious going on.That's really where it's at. Most theives are counting on a person not knowing that they're being ripped off for a while. If you check your balance often, you'll probably catch things before they even clear.

It's funny, but I was just thinking about all of the times over the last few years that I've rolled through a gas station, and bought gas without showing ID. The most I've ever had to do was enter my zipcode at the pump. (Never understood the point of that.)

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
The most I've ever had to do was enter my zipcode at the pump. (Never understood the point of that.)I guess it's a simple way to "prevent" CC theft (I'm sure that buying gas is a common misuse of stolen cards, as companies mention that seeing the cities bought allows them to track where the thief went). Also, stations can see where their customers are coming from.

2-1B
12-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I never had to give my zip code at a gas pump. Here you just swipe it and go.

What about Debit cards? That's something to be more careful with...once the money is gone, it's harder to get back from your bank than it is to contest a fraudulent credit card charge.

I think Debit cards should have MANDATORY use of PIN codes, now that's something I feel it necessary. The fact that a Debit card can be swiped and run through as a credit card does trouble me.

plasticfetish
12-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I guess it's a simple way to "prevent" CC theftSure, but maybe too simple. Anyone that's stolen your card has probably also got the rest of your wallet/purse, or they took it from your mail box, and know your zip code. I've always seen it as being pointless.

...and if the gas station wants info about their customers, they can pay to get it from the card companies. (Not that the gas companies really give a cr** about who's paying $3+ for gas at their pumps.)

I never had to give my zip code at a gas pump. Here you just swipe it and go.It's not all of them, just some. Can't remember which ones. Doesn't matter for me anymore though, as you're not allowed to pump your own gas in this state anyway. I hand the guy my card, and he puts it in... no questions asked.

What about Debit cards? That's something to be more careful with...once the money is gone, it's harder to get back from your bank than it is to contest a fraudulent credit card charge.If it's a cedit/debit card, then it can be run both ways. If it's run as debit, then yes, it'll need a pin number. If they run it as credit, then they'll more than likely eat the loss if your card is used when stolen... if they don't check ID, etc.

I may be wrong, but depending on the bank, it's not all that hard to get them to reverse fraudulent charges on an ATM credit card. Should work the same way as any other Master Card, etc. That's the whole point of having that logo on there.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 02:42 AM
The whole gas station thing with the zip code is silly, and for one reason: when you enter your zip, it's there in plain sight! They could at least use asterisks, like computers do with passwords. :rolleyes:

The thing that bothers me especially badly is stores and restaurants that have terminals for you to scan your own card, then don't require a signature or even look at the card. I don't know how many of you have had cards stolen, but it's easy for thieves to use them at gas stations, and now at a lot of other places. At least at gas stations there is usually (supposedly) video surveillance that can pretty clearly identify a culprit.

I had a card stolen about a year ago, and used at a gas station about ten miles from here before I could contact the card issuer. (Strangely, they weren't open on weekends, or on weekdays past 5 PM EST, which is another issue and why that card got cancelled pretty quickly.) Between notarizing affadavits that neither me or Mrs E had made the transactions and sending it via certified mail, it actually ended up costing twice as much to take care of the fraudulent transaction as the transaction itself had been.

I'd glady enter my zip code, show ID, or take the three seconds to sign a sheet of paper to avoid going through that rigamarole again.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I was in a retail establishment recently (let's say it rhymes with 'Macies'), and not only did they ask to see my ID but required me to take it out of its holder. The clerk apologized and I was like, "that's okay. I'd like, totally prefer to have to do this and stuff then have like, bad stuff happen. Know what I'm sayin'?" I was impressed and pleased. :impressed: :pleased: