PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the TF exclusive Vader fig--jerks.

vayoma
02-11-2002, 02:55 AM
As a die-hard Vader collector, I was more than a little bit chagrinned to learn that Hasbro had concocted a Vader silver anniversary fig exclusive to Toy Fair. I hate it when companies do stuff like this to collectors. This promises to be the SW equivalent of the 1701 Series of figs in the Playmates Star Trek TNG line.

Of course, I like the look of it, and I really want one, but given that I (like most collectors nationwide) don't live in New York City, I guess I can look forward to paying hundreds of dollars for this piece on ebay. Thanks Hasbro. You affirm my exceedingly low opinion of you and your collective regard for collectors on an almost daily basis. This is but a crowning achievement.

If the Hasbrokers were going to pull something like this with one of the core collectible characters, why couldn't they have released it at Celebration II instead. At least then a lot more collectors from across the country would have had a crack at getting one for less than $300-500 (or whatever they'll end up costing on ebay).

mark2d2
02-11-2002, 03:26 AM
I've read in several various threads that there are SERIOUS rumours about this EXCLUSIVE later being available through the fan club. And I can definitely see that happening. All is not lost --- yet.

PS --- I agree, this is very interesting figure . . . AND the packaging!!! Dang, that Black sure is sharp. It'd have been an amazing idea to do the entire ATOC line with Black Cards? Maybe for Episode III . . .

evenflow
02-11-2002, 07:02 AM
I agree that it sucks. I live 10 min. away from the city and I still can't get one because I can't get into toyfair. They better release it through the fan club.

vayoma
02-11-2002, 08:29 AM
I certainly hope that the rumors regarding fan club distribution are accurate. I'd gladly pay Fan Club prices for a couple of these. I appreciate the info.

Rollo Tomassi
02-11-2002, 10:58 AM
The costs of R&D, making a mold, setting up the presses at the factory, designing the card back, etc. virtually assures mass production of these things. They aren't going to go to all that trouble if only to make 500 or 1000 of these. It's not cost effective. They have to produce on the order of ten thousands or even higher to justify making one. So you'll get one at a reasonable price if you want one.

dr_evazan22
02-11-2002, 11:29 AM
It does say on the OS that a limited number will be available thru the Fan Club... I think the Fan Club sucks since WOTC took it over, but that's another matter entirely!

InsaneJediGirl
02-11-2002, 01:16 PM
I agree with all of you,especially vayoma.I,a Vader Collector too,
am rather disapointed that they just didnt mass-market this
in stores,with the 25th Anni packs.As long as its avaible
thru the FanClub,I'll be somewhat happy.

:stupid:

vayoma
02-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Anyone heard the rumor that the packaging will be different for the FC version of this fig? That would make a degree of sense. Hopefully it will be the same basic packaging design sans the Toy Fair sticker on the bubble.

Actually, one just popped up on ebay, and I thought for the heck of it that I'd help things along. I'm the current high bidder at $303.77, and the reserve hasn't even been met yet. Let the games begin.

LTBasker
02-12-2002, 05:22 AM
Woah, 303.77 for that? Hasbro just took Flashback Vader and painted it. Well I guess if you've got the money and are willing to spend it....

Beast
02-12-2002, 05:45 AM
Well, I just checked the ebay auction. With 6+ days remaining, its already had 22 bids, and the high bid currently stands at 750.00!!:crazed: That's just insane, I don't care how limited a figure it is. I hope it's avaliable thru the fan club later, all I want is the figure. Infact If I had one, I would open it. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
02-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Orginally Posted by JarJarBinks
I hope it's avaliable thru the fan club later, all I want is the figure. Infact If I had one, I would open it. :D

I'd open mine too,display it with my other figures.

:happy:

good shot jansen
02-12-2002, 01:27 PM
which i'm sure it won't:frus:

back at the 97 toy fair, galoob issued a special version of the action fleet x-wing exclusive to toy fair. It was a slimed up x-wing ala dagobah.

it was also a more acurate version of the x-wing, as it included the center striping on the fusalage which was lacking on the retail version.

several months later, the star wars insider was selling it through jawa trader (which is how i got mine).

now being that i collect only galoob, i'm not familiar with any history of this sort regarding hasbro lines.

but i'm pretty sure that if it's offered at toy fair, it will prolly surface through the insider at the very least.

of course i'v been known to make mistakes.......from time to time.......

JediTricks
02-13-2002, 05:53 AM
Oh just win Steve's! :D

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=13&show_article=1760

As pointed out on the official site, there WILL be some available from the Fan Club, so even guys like me - who stay up 23 hours straight just to work 11 hours on the first day and then 14 on the 2nd and 5 on the third (hey, that's today!) just to help SSG can have decent Toy Fair coverage - can now get one.

LTBasker
02-13-2002, 10:21 AM
People are crazy...just for a repainted peg-warmer that doesn't even have complete packaging for the rest of it's lightsaber. :p At least they have an excuse for the AOTC figures, they're new and stuff, people are known to be really stupid when it comes to new things, but peg-warmers? That's funny. I dunno which is more ridiculous, the people putting them on ebay or the people buying them. Probably both I guess. I don't care if someone puts one on ebay so other collectors to have a chance at one, if they want collectors to have a chance at one, wait until the Fan Club offers them and then buy a reasonable amount and put them on ebay with a buy it now of the regular price and a 1 per ebay member limit.

JEDIpartner
02-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Why pay those jacked up prices on eBay when we can pay the SLIGHTLY jacked up prices at the fan club. I'll probably pick up this little guy along with the Stormie 4-pack. That's all the business they are getting from me! ;)

SirSteve
02-13-2002, 12:00 PM
I agree. I thought it would sell for at the most about $50 (and I thought THAT was high!).

DahrJin
02-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Let's see....$750.00 for a figure.....

That's a little over 1/2 my house payment, 2 1/4 truck payments, 20 electricity payments, 15 gas payments, 4 grocery bills and enough money to buy almost all the new AOTC toys that are being released on April 23 rd. :sur: NO THANKS! I'll take my chances with trying to get one through the FC or if possible being lucky enough to win Sir Steves giveaway. If not I guess it's just another figure I will only dream about adding to my Vader collection one day.

Why is it that we, as collectors and toy buyers, are the ones who always get screwed?

Jedi Dan
02-13-2002, 04:31 PM
OK, sir steve how can you report

"This is certainly going to be quite the rarity, a great collector's item... for those who can get their hands on one."

then put it up for an auction and say "I thought it would sell for at the most about $50 (and I thought THAT was high!)."

now if you've been under a rock or maybe slightly retarded I'd buy that. But anyone who knows anything about starwars figures know that rare figures = mucho moolah on ebay. I mean you couldnt have missed $200 AOTC figures the past couple weeks could you? and thes eare figures that are rare now but come april 23rd will be $6!

Your credibillty has been destroyed I'm sorry to say. Only people that think you are the only site out here would be the only ones not to stumble upon threads about this. The whole buying batteries thing was exceptionally funny, trying to recoup the $250 in bargain batteries by selling a rarity that you only expected to get $50 for? So is this person you are selling it for your cousin? Yes, google revealed some things we found interesting.

Most peopel are in it to collect to collect, it's apparent you are in it to fleece the fans. You are here to take the mantle away from Supershadow for least liked star wars website. Greedy people like you destroyed Comic book collecting and baseball card collecting....if you want to make a buck sell stocks not toys.

Jedi Dan
02-13-2002, 04:36 PM
OK, before you ban me because to quote Jack "you can't handle the truth!"

If you are giving the $ to charity, I think for one that it is newsworthy enough to post on the front page of the site, because that is a noble thing to do....and you better make sure you post a copy of your charitable deduction because no one will believe it went to charity and I believe saying something is going to charity then it doesn't constitiutes fraud.....so peoel will check up on it.

Dryanta
02-13-2002, 06:03 PM
sounds to me like Jedi Dan is angry about something other than a Vader figure.

Beast
02-13-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta
sounds to me like Jedi Dan is angry about something other than a Vader figure.

Yeah, he has "issues". :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dryanta
02-13-2002, 06:14 PM
you don't need to a Jedi to "sense' That:D

El Chuxter
02-13-2002, 06:31 PM
This is certainly going to be quite the rarity, a great collector's item... for those who can get their hands on one.

I believe that news article was written by JediTricks, not by SirSteve. And there's a difference between an item that's not been released and one that's been released, but not yet in mass quantities. I'd expect there are people who want to be "first on the block" (so to speak) to get the AOTC figures and will pay any price to get them. I know I for one wouldn't expect the Vader to go for more than $100.

SirSteve
02-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Look at who reported it and stop jumping to conclusions.

Originally posted by Jedi Dan
OK, sir steve how can you report

"This is certainly going to be quite the rarity, a great collector's item... for those who can get their hands on one."

then put it up for an auction and say "I thought it would sell for at the most about $50 (and I thought THAT was high!)."

now if you've been under a rock or maybe slightly retarded I'd buy that. But anyone who knows anything about starwars figures know that rare figures = mucho moolah on ebay. I mean you couldnt have missed $200 AOTC figures the past couple weeks could you? and thes eare figures that are rare now but come april 23rd will be $6!

Your credibillty has been destroyed I'm sorry to say. Only people that think you are the only site out here would be the only ones not to stumble upon threads about this. The whole buying batteries thing was exceptionally funny, trying to recoup the $250 in bargain batteries by selling a rarity that you only expected to get $50 for? So is this person you are selling it for your cousin? Yes, google revealed some things we found interesting.

Most peopel are in it to collect to collect, it's apparent you are in it to fleece the fans. You are here to take the mantle away from Supershadow for least liked star wars website. Greedy people like you destroyed Comic book collecting and baseball card collecting....if you want to make a buck sell stocks not toys.

LTBasker
02-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Steve if you wanted to make money off of it for charity, maybe a raffle would've been better? Just charge around 7-8 for a raffle ticket on the figure which would heavily attract more people. *shrugs*

SirSteve
02-14-2002, 01:57 AM
Again, *I* didn't want to make money off of it PERIOD. I just posted the auction for someone and when everyone started saying I was scalping it, we decided to give the money to the relief fund.

Sidiously Darth
02-14-2002, 04:54 AM
One thing I have noticed about this whole ebay auction deal, the majority of people *****in' up a storm have just a few posts. Are they new or is this someone who created a new username just so they could complain?

SS, you're not going to get clear of this b/c you can't make everyone happy. The angry ones are acting like this b/c they don't feel it's fair that you have an opportunity they don't.

I think you're doing the right thing, so do alot of other people here. Forget the rest of them. There's plenty of other sites where they "can go home and cry to mama!" They'll just do the same thing to that site operator when something doesn't go they way they perceive it should.:rolleyes:

delvec
02-14-2002, 06:18 AM
Um- No because when people complain on other sites they just hear well why dont you go tell him on HIS forums so I am again......

So Steve, If you selling selling this for a friend then why did YOU make the decision and not him? What? I said Why did YOU make the decision instead of him? I'd be pretty ****ed if I was your friend. Or is this friend really your conscience??? Or the little martian from the Flintstones? What's his name Gazooo or something?:frus:

Jedi Dan
02-14-2002, 08:35 AM
It's probably his "cousin" again. People like me do research before they start complaining. Other people follow blindly. Oh well.

if you want further info where to go is the google search engine check the 'Scum and jawa boards for further info. I don't have time to paste al the details.

Wel the thing is that the guys that complain have few posts because
1) the person is being banned after speaking the truth, that happened to a buddy of mine
2) They are signing up on many boards to spread the word trying to educate the uneducated.

It's not the fact the piece is auctioned it's the fact that people lie defacing the hobby for soem purists.

remeber if your in it for a profit you are not a collector so don't pass yourself off as one.

Sidiously Darth
02-14-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Dan
if you want further info where to go is the google search engine check the 'Scum and jawa boards for further info. I don't have time to paste al the details.

Uh, No!

I don't have the time, nor do I want to go digging up crap on SS or anyone. I could probably find out less than superb details about you(all I need is your name), if I wanted to take the time and look, but what is that going to do for me...Nothing!

What SS has done or will do is out of my control. To this point, he has done nothing to harm me or keep me from collecting Star Wars items. Until that time comes, which I'm sure it will not, I am not going to pass judgement on him. (Incredible side note, I just decided what to give up for lent, all be it a day late. I hereby give up passing judgement on SirSteve!):happy:

Anyway, think what you will...But when it comes down to it, none of the scalpers or so called "bad people for the hobby" have really kept me from eventually, repeat eventually, getting what I want. May take a little longer, but I usually get it at retail price. In reality, it's just a way for us to vent frustration at not being able to get the stuff fast enough.

In conclusion, I am done with this "bash the provider" thread that has proliferated throughout the forums. SS provides a good service and I'm sure he has a few skeletons just like the rest of us.

BTW, Happy V Day everyone!:D

Wolfwood319
02-14-2002, 10:58 AM
Why is everyone mad at SirSteve?

He didn't purposely set the price on eBay so high for the Vader fig. The bidding started at $1 if I remember correctly, its the bidders who drove it up that high, not SS. When SS and his friend realized that it was getting so high, then his friend decided to donate the money to charity.

Why do these people care anyway? They come to these boards for the first time just to ***** and complain about something that does not involve or concern them at all.

That's all I'm gonna say on the subject, if anyone else continues to argue about something as trivial as this, I think the least of your concerns are how much some guy is getting for a Star Wars figure.

Its sad and pathetic.

DahrJin
02-14-2002, 11:09 AM
All the people who have expressed their opinions on the matter are people who want what SS has. They don't have the figure and since SS didn't give it to them, he is a bad guy. After all, it belongs to his friend, and what, said friend, does with his PERSONAL PROPERTY is his own buisness. There are more auctions for this figure on e-bay than just this one, so why aren't people screaming at the people who they belong to? Why complain about the bid being so high, it's not like SS is bidding on the auction. It's the collectors with pockets that are way too deep and have too much extra money, that are responsible for the dramatic, over inflated price. So why not jump in their buisness, they are to blame here. IMHO no one would have made an issue out of this if the D@MNED thing sold for $1.50.

This figure being sold at auction is not keeping me from having one, seeing how it hasn't even been offered to the general collecting population as of yet, so why complain. It's not like it was taken from my collection to be sold at auction. I'd like to have this figure, but oh well if I never do. I don't have one now, so it's not like I'm going to miss it.

I have only two words for people who complain about said Vader auction, CRY BABIES!

Sir Steve, keep up the good work and try not to let all the cry babies get you down.

DarhJin

delvec
02-14-2002, 11:32 AM
First of all I am not jealous-
I have the figure too.

Second the issue is not that its on Ebay
but HE who is supposed to represent and lookout for collectors went and put something on Ebay for the highest bidder. Then when the price went up he posted that it was being released through the Fan Club, something we knew on Sunday, then added the don't pay high prices on Ebay crap, yet he has an auction. Hmmmmmm

Its just not right!

InsaneJediGirl
02-14-2002, 12:12 PM
Lets all just stop and do a reality check.SirSteve did nothing wrong,in fact,If I had one or two of those Vaders,I would do
the exact same thing.

vayoma
02-14-2002, 01:22 PM
I hesitate to try to reinsert myself into this firestorm, but since I'm the one who originally started this thread, I'll offer my two cents.

As suggested by the title of my original message, the real villain here, in my opinion, is Hasbro. They should have never pulled something like this in the first place, at least not without first announcing that the figure would be generally available through the Fan Club in the same packaging within X amount of time after Toy Fair.

I personally don't think SS is a villain in this instance, particularly. From a public relations standpoint, he probably could have handled it and explained himself better initially, but I for one am too realistic be jump on the militant anti-scalper bandwagon. When it comes right down to it, market forces dictate in this hobby to a large extent. If Hasbro decided not to make these generally available, there would be certainly be a handful of people out there (perhaps myself included) who would pay fairly obscene prices for the piece. But that's their prerogative. And if that happened, the principal blame would lay at Hasbro's doorstep. It knows (or at least should know) how many people out there still want to avidly collect this stuff, and knows that it will **** people off if it severely limits the availability of something like this. Indeed, Hasbro should learn from the disaster that Playmates experienced in the wake of the Star Trek 1701 series (don't they own Playmates now?). Stunts like this can severely alienate a company's collector base. If Hasbro is so lunk-headed to pull something like this notwithstanding all of that, then they are the ones to blame, not individual collectors who may try to maximize a profit made available by the conjoining of Hasbro's actions and the widespread popularity of both SW in general, and Vader in particular.

To be perfectly honest, if I were in a position where I acquired some ultra-rare Fett fig in a situation like this, I would immediately try to maximize as much profit from the piece as I could, to help fund the expansion of my Vader and Yoda collections. And that would be my prerogative. So I don't see how the situation is any different here, with respect to SirSteve. I may not be terrible happy that he had access to a couple of these figures, while I didn't, but I don't fault him for trying to unload one of them, because, again, the fault lies with Hasbro for creating at least the perception of extreme scarcity of this piece in the first place.

Oh well, just my opinion.

DahrJin
02-14-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by delvec
First of all I am not jealous-
I have the figure too.

Its just not right!

Well consider yourself one of those lucky enough to have one.

Let it go....:rolleyes:

Sidiously Darth
02-14-2002, 01:41 PM
Okay, I said I was done with this but now I'm really mad.:mad:

I'm personally calling delvec out on this one.

I think you should shut the **** up!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Here you are waving this flag of anti-scalping, Salem Witch Hunting, burn SirSteve at the stake bull$$$$ and turn around and wave the fact that you already have one of these figures in everyones face. I hope the damn thing melts in your hand!:mad:

You have the gall to perpetuate this crap and then rub it in other's faces that you have one. If you ever put that thing on ebay, I hope you get negative bids! I don't care if the money would save your dog's, cat's, fish's or what ever pet you may have, life. (Notice I said pet b/c if was a loved one, you better sell the darn thing!:eek: )

I hate b/s like this and you just shut the door on your own argument. Go away and stare at your exclusive so we can get back to talking about SW!:happy:

Dryanta
02-14-2002, 02:16 PM
thank you Sidiously Darth,Well said.SS keep it up and ignore them,They'll go away

InsaneJediGirl
02-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Bravo Sidiously Darth.:D I totally agree with you!

JetsAndHeels
02-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Sidiously Darth is layin the smack down on his candy ***$!!

delvec
02-14-2002, 03:30 PM
I am not waving it in everyone's face. Just explaining to the person who said that I was jealous that in fact I have no need to be envious that I had one. And mine is being given away!

What I have been saying all along is that for someone to represent "the collectors" like Sir Steve, he should not have turned right to the cash cow of ebay to turn a profit and instead of expressing my feelings in other forums, I had the ****s to come and confront him on his own turf. If you guys can't see the wrong in this, then maybe you all deserve each other.
But I for can not stand when someone gets one for free, puts it up on ebay to make a quick buck(Do not try and say this thing would only go for $50!) while hiding the news this was going to be released through the Fan Club later. Then tries to cover his *** by saying its a friends but then HE not the friend decides to donate the $$ to charity after everyone and their mother w/half a conscience calls him on it.
Maybe you guys should think about that for a second instead of being a bunch of Alice the Goons with your "I love Sir Steve, I love Sir Steve..." he does no wrong and see my point. But I guess its a lost cause with guys I just don't buy his crap!!!!

So smackdown that!!!!!

Jedi Dan
02-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Its funny contradicting things from other site forums.....
On the other many boards 99% of the peopel are in agreement over here in the Hutt's Palace its reversed...funny.

I like the guy who backed up sirsteve on the 'scum board and kinda contradicts steves own post. I mean hell at least try to make the lies jive. Mr. Comenbozo....

and an FYI do not buy batteries in New York, they can range from $60-$200 for the same battery....amazing!

Collect to collect not collect to invest, scalpers....

I wonder how many people from Scalper Central (here) will be selling figures on ebay April 23rd? While us real collectors with lives have to hunt to get the figures, that we want because >gasp< we liek them and don't care what the value is!

SirCheeses Guide: the Moral low of star wars collectors....

Hopefully I'll meet some of you in Indy....

you'll be the ones loging on your notebooks to quickly sell the Celebration 2 figure on Ebay

Note to SirSleaze: get batteries and have them charged BEFORE you go to Indy.

lets get back to talking about Star Wars ...well THIS IS STAR WARS, this is the STATE of THE HOBBY! Peopel out to make a buck at the expense of others.....hopefully you steve-o lovers have the nards to check out post son other boards, thejawa, rebelscum, theforce,net...you'll see who is in the minirity....

We will not go away because we are in it because we like collecting, most of you all will probably hit the road after the market gets quashed....and your stockpile of figures isn't worth anything....the true fans won't care, the scalpers will (it'll cut into their cheetoh fund)

DahrJin
02-14-2002, 04:01 PM
It's good to see that you are giving yours away. Your more honorable than others. Me, I'd hold on to it if it were mine.

My point was, if indeed the figure belonged to a SS or a friend of his, the figure was theirs and they can do what they like with it. It's not like they had the only versions of this figure ever to be produced.

Like it was stated in another post, it's the bidders fault that the price was so inflated, not holder of the auction. No one forced the bidder to pay that amount for it, they did it of their own free will. They are the ones that will have to pay for it, not the collectors or fans.

Personally I have never used e-bay and I don't agree with how the prices of figures get inflated there, but that's another can of worms.

Bottom line is: We are FREE to do what ever we like to with our own property. If indeed SS wanted to make a quick buck...more power to him. If he wasn't a webmaster of a SW site, nobody would have thought twice about it.

I guess we all deal with things in our own ways........::crazed:

BTW: I do collect to collect. I could care less what a figure is worth, b/c I plan to never sell my collection. I don't buy from on-line toy dealers or scalpers. I rely on the collecting community for trades and what not, as well as HUNTING TOYS. I enjoy my hobby of choice and MY collection. After all it is MINE!!!!!

Rollo Tomassi
02-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Okay, this bozo has gone on long enough...

Originally not thought through very well by Jedi Dan
Its funny contradicting things from other site forums.....
On the other many boards 99% of the peopel are in agreement over here in the Hutt's Palace its reversed...funny.[b]

WHO CARES WHAT OTHER SITES HAVE TO SAY. DOES ONE SITE HAVE MORE INSIGHT OR AUTHORITY ABOUT THE STATE OF STAR WARS FANDOM THAN THE OTHERS? Nooooo.

[b]I like the guy who backed up sirsteve on the 'scum board and kinda contradicts steves own post. I mean hell at least try to make the lies jive. Mr. Comenbozo....

Can we stick to the topic at hand?

and an FYI do not buy batteries in New York, they can range from $60-$200 for the same battery....amazing!

Ditto. I'm not even sure what this has to do with anything.

Collect to collect not collect to invest, scalpers....

Who is this directed at, exactly? Do you presume to tell me if I frequent SirSteves, then I must be a scalper? How much wronger can you get? The lack of logic in that statement is staggering. It makes you look like an imbecile of gargantuan proportions. I don't even understand how you CAME to that conclusion.

I wonder how many people from Scalper Central (here) will be selling figures on ebay April 23rd? While us real collectors with lives have to hunt to get the figures, that we want because >gasp< we [SIC]liek them and don't care what the value is!

I would have to say: none of us. Figures will be abundant. And if you have trouble finding them it's because you're in your mom's basement doing...whatever... and not at Wal-Mart, Target, TRU, etc...

SirCheeses Guide: the Moral low of star wars collectors....

Hopefully I'll meet some of you in Indy....

Damn right, skippy. I'll be the one with the shirt that says Rollo Tomassi @ Sirstevesguide So all my SSG buddies can find me. I'm proud to be a forumite at the coolest SW site on the 'net.

you'll be the ones loging on your notebooks to quickly sell the Celebration 2 figure on Ebay

Note to SirSleaze: get batteries and have them charged BEFORE you go to Indy.

Note to JediDan: Thanks for posting all those pictures on YOUR website...oh. wait. never mind. Did your digital batteries go dead? or...wait. You DON'T HAVE YOUR OWN WEBSITE. So you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

lets get back to talking about Star Wars ...well THIS IS STAR WARS, this is the STATE of THE HOBBY! Peopel out to make a buck at the expense of others.....hopefully you steve-o lovers have the nards to check out post son other boards, thejawa, rebelscum, theforce,net...you'll see who is in the minirity....

Actually, I HAVE checked out the competition. That's why I'm here. If you want whiny foul mouthed fanboys, by all means, go somewhere else. If you want the cream of the fan crop, the wittiest, the most intelligent, you come to SSG.

We will not go away because we are in it because we like collecting, most of you all will probably hit the road after the market gets quashed....and your stockpile of figures isn't worth anything....the true fans won't care, the scalpers will (it'll cut into their cheetoh fund) :rolleyes:

I was going to tell you to take a hike, but I've decided to ask you to stick around. You make the rest of us look like geniuses by comparison.

But you don't get any baskets of duct tape...:evil:

Dryanta
02-14-2002, 05:49 PM
I'm new to all of this forum stuff and am surprised that any one who hides behind their computer and runs his mouth actually reffers to himself as "having the balls".I really don't care what other forums say I don't go there I go here.
And pal my guess is I'm alot older than you and have been collecting a long time and it's guys like you always leave once there's nothing left to ***** about.
I don't care what Sir Steve does with his property.I am grateful that he has this site up for people like me.I've been to other sites and looked around,Not impressed.
One last thought you might want to reconsider the idea about being glad to see people from these forums in Indy.You keep running your mouth and someone diggs around and finds out who you are they may want to "prove" you wrong on a few points(please don't go off on some tough guy tangient).
If we all deserve each other fine by me.can't thnk of better company

El Chuxter
02-14-2002, 05:53 PM
I don't particularly care if everyone agrees or disagrees with SirSteve or not, since it's really not my business, but the argument's getting out of hand. Given that there may very well be kids reading this, anyone who puts in their two cents needs to keep the potty talk to a minimum. It's possible to get across a point (and more effectively so, in fact) without resorting to profanity and borderline obscenities.

Dryanta
02-14-2002, 05:56 PM
agreed.I'm sorry if anything I said was out of line

Sidiously Darth
02-14-2002, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry, too. I used harsh language earlier. Can we still use symbols like in cartoons?:D

LTBasker
02-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Actually, I HAVE checked out the competition. That's why I'm here. If you want whiny foul mouthed fanboys, by all means, go somewhere else. If you want the cream of the fan crop, the wittiest, the most intelligent, you come to SSG.

Did you mean EVERYBODY at all the other sites? Or just certain people?

I gave up the scalper battles, they didn't work. Best thing I figure I can do is just not care about a scalper and just set the record straight when it's gotten too warped, if they don't get attention, they can't get customers, and if they can't get customers, well, theres go their purchasing income.

Granted anyone making even retail price profit on those Vader figures just cause they can is scalping.

I don't doubt Steve knew that these Vader figures would fetch more than $50, but if he wanted to put it on ebay, fine, not my problem, it's the idiots that are feeding this crap just so they can have that extra-elusive figure. Scalpers don't make scalpers, the greedy make scalpers, and I mean the greedy people trying to get stuff just to have things before others so they can act like they're the top of the town even if they don't actually collect the things.

These Vader figures are pretty boring, I mean they're just the Flashback Vaders in metallic paint with a new package that doesn't even house the whole lightsaber so it could easily get broken. If I ever get one, it'll probably be cause I'm a completionist or something, it's an ok display piece, but for anywhere above $3-5 which is probably what it cost to make is ridiculous.

If you want to be behind Steve, then do it, if you want to bash him, fine, but just remember this isn't a who likes who forum but a Star Wars forum where favorites are supposed to be in toy form. You don't like someone, fine, talk amongst friends or take it up with the staff or just ignore them. Personally I don't have that high of an opinion of Steve because I know some rather bad things about him, but I'm gonna go about talking in the topics that I came here for and keep my personal opinions to myself.

This is a STAR WARS board, not a damn WHO'S BETTER board.

2-1B
02-14-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

Personally I don't have that high of an opinion of Steve because I know some rather bad things about him, but I'm gonna go about talking in the topics that I came here for and keep my personal opinions to myself.

So . . . you don't have a high opinion of SirSteve yet you are not going to reveal your opinions ? ? ? ? ? :D

Wow, those complainers really came across as foolish. I thought scalping constituted taking items available at retail and jacking up the price? These Vaders are not currently available at retail . . .
even if they do eventually become available, where's the injustice? Unless SirSteve buys the vast majority of those available from WOTC and then sells them at auction, the point about scalping is invalid.

I may never get one of these Vaders, but at least I can come here to look at some nice pics of it whenever I want :)

SirSteve
02-14-2002, 08:32 PM
Well, I am back from NYC and I now have the time to deal with this... I guess I should start from the morning of the event in question.

I woke up.
I turned off the alarm clock.
I showered.
I brushed my teeth.
I got dressed.
I was on the computer for about 15 minutes cleaning up Toy Fair coverage.
I ate breakfast.
I...

what? Skip directly to the event? But everyone wants SPECIFIC details!

Ok then..

I just got a new camera 2 days before the event and didn't get a chance to use it. It came with 1 EN-EL 1 battery. My friend wanted me to shoot some other toy lines for him but I said I need more batteries if I were to do that. He said he would buy them. He bought 3 of them at $80.00 each + tax (would you like to see a scan of the receipt?). I did the Hasbro showroom and we got our ONE figure each. Since my friend is not a Star Wars collector, he asked if it would get anything on ebay. I said probably about $50.00 (seeing as the exclusive C-3PO from the UK show was going around this). He then asked if I would ebay it along with a few other exclusives to help pay for the expensives (no, he doesn't have an account nor a credit card). I didn't think much about it other than giving a fan the opportunity to own one so I agreed and put it up on ebay the next night. I searched prior and could not find any listed... the following day, the auction jumped to over $200 and I knew this was going to be a problem. I changed the home page back to our news system (it was pulling nothing but Toy Fair coverage up) and then immediately made a news post regarding the Darth Vader will be available through the Fan Club in the near future. I also added this to the auction description. So, I am giving MINE away and my friend decided to donate the earnings from the auction to the World Trade Center Relief Fund (WE decided this was the best solution).

As for the past, I am not getting into that again.... I believe my ebay feedback shows I am a good person to deal with. 164 positive feedbacks and NO negatives!

I hope this clears things up... probably not though, and there are always going to be those few that just like to cause problems for whatever reason and I cannot help that...

I also forgot to mention that one of the persons that keeps pressing this issue e-mailed me prior to Toy Fair asking for me to get him a Darth Vader. I don't know him from the next person and told him I couldn't. After he seen I had put one on e-bay, he flipped out and started this. But it's funny in his e-mail he said I could have asked him first as he would have bought it...

Sidiously Darth
02-14-2002, 08:39 PM
And I think that should be an end to that. SS, can you put a cap on this thread. I think we've all had our say. Time to move along...:)

SirSteve
02-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

Wow, those complainers really came across as foolish. I thought scalping constituted taking items available at retail and jacking up the price? These Vaders are not currently available at retail . . .
even if they do eventually become available, where's the injustice? Unless SirSteve buys the vast majority of those available from WOTC and then sells them at auction, the point about scalping is invalid.

scalper
\Scalper\ (sk[a^]lp"[~e]r), n.
1. One who engages in the reselling of something, such as tickets, at a price higher than the established value.

I started the auction at $1.00 with no reserve.

2-1B
02-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Sure, you could always cap the thread but I doubt it will be necessary . . . I'm sure the complainers lack the stamina to cleverly recycle their whiny posts. :)

SirSteve
02-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
And I think that should be an end to that. SS, can you put a cap on this thread. I think we've all had our say. Time to move along...:)

I'll leave it open but I will not reply any more...

2-1B
02-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve

scalper
\Scalper\ (sk[a^]lp"[~e]r), n.
1. One who engages in the reselling of something, such as tickets, at a price higher than the established value.

I started the auction at $1.00 with no reserve.

The issue of an auction is noteworthy. The established value is whatever the highest bidder is willing to go. If someone is willing to pay $200 for a figure with no established value, then what's the big deal? Unless someone is hoarding the things, the price a rare piece sells for at auction is it's established price.

I give credit to SirSteve and his friend for the generous donation. It disgusts me that people are immediately suspicious of a good deed. :)

Plus, I'm happy for the collector who got a rare piece he or she really wanted :)

Lord Malakite
02-14-2002, 08:59 PM
Perhaps you should scan the receipt SirSteve. I believe what your saying :), but I doubt anyone at thejawa.com will without the physical proof :(.

Dryanta
02-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the explaination SS.I have to admit I was begining to get curious about some of this stuff in the past.Human nature I guess.I believe your explaination and am no longer curious about the other stuff.I have no idea about anybody at the jawa.But i for one will take your word for it.
I do not find any scalping at all in this situation.There is no retail price to give away and the high bidder determines "worth" for lack of a better term

vulcantouch
02-18-2002, 02:32 PM
. . .and the valid points being made by delvec, jd & a few others here are being defensively, glibly dismissed & ignored by too many of you amateur philosophers.
refer to my definition & analysis of scalping (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=20&PID=1590) for clarification. otherwise, if you lack the willingness to give this issue the more careful consideration it deserves, your "two cents" about it is exactly that-
vt

Sidiously Darth
02-18-2002, 04:29 PM
VT, I think your logic is ill fitting in this situation. Your definition makes any collector who has sold an item by any means and made $0.01 profit a scalper. You're stereotyping most of the people on these forums. That's not right.

Here are the main points to the auction:

1. Said piece has no disernable SRP b/c it was given to those who attended TF.
2. The said item did not belong to SS, but it did belong to his noncollecting friend. He can do with it what he likes.
3. Item was auctioned at $1.00 thus leading to an end w/ an unknown conclusion. End value will be donated thus eliminating any monetary gain.
4. Said item will soon be offered through the Fan Club. This will give the item a known SRP. Any auctions at that point exempt SS's auction b/c it occurred before said Fan Club offer.

Scalpers usually profit. In this situation, no one has profitted but we all have suffered. I admit my mixed feelings at first but then I had an epiphany. What harm is this going to cause the collecting world or our society at large? None, just a lot of wasted typing.

vulcantouch
02-19-2002, 11:03 AM
sd: "Your definition makes any collector who has sold an item by any means and made $0.01 profit a scalper"
-correct :happy: if one doesn't draw the defining line at $0.01, where the hell Does one draw it?

"You're stereotyping most of the people on these forums. That's not right"
-to be more precise, i am "stereotyping" the attacks on delvec & jd in this thred. insofar as the attackers' actions & arguments live up to my "stereotyping", it Is right :evil:

"Said item will soon be offered through the Fan Club. This will give the item a known SRP. Any auctions at that point exempt SS's auction b/c it occurred before said Fan Club offer. . . Said piece has no disernable SRP b/c it was given to those who attended TF"
-in which case, the ethical recourse is to either trade it or Give it away, as ss is righteously doing with his spare :cool:

"said item did not belong to SS, but it did belong to his noncollecting friend"
-which made "friend" a scalper & ss a "scalpin accessory" :eek: that is, Until ss & friend thanfully decided to donate proceeds :)

"He can do with it what he likes"
-that's not in dispute. the issue ain't what one Can do, but what one Should do.
selling on ebay is a Public solicitation for $$, and the collector community has every right to publicly remark on public solicitations.

"Item was auctioned at $1.00 thus leading to an end w/ an unknown conclusion"
-unknown? let's get real: we all Know damn well that any auction for a rare item like this will fetch Much more than its srp or, in this case, its cost of acquistion. unless of course, seller were to specify a "buy it now" price of, say, $1 :D

"no one has profitted. . . End value will be donated thus eliminating any monetary gain"
-as the "beanie baby" clause of my analysis mentions, i do consider this an ethical outcome. however, this was not the original intent, but instead an ethical salvaging of the situation which resulted directly from the objections raised here.
by raising this issue, jd & delvec helped give rise to this ethical outcome, aarrrrr :Pirate:

"we all have suffered"
-not sure what you mean; after all, a lil arguin never hurt anyone :greedy:

"What harm is this going to cause the collecting world or our society at large? None, just a lot of wasted typing"
-not sure what you mean by "harm"; but are you saying that unless something significantly affects "society at large" it is unworthy of our attention? if so, what does this say about our interest in toys?
insofar as said typing helped give rise to either the situation's above-mentioned ethical salvaging or a clearer consideration of the issue of scalping, it wasn't "wasted" at all :)
vt

2-1B
02-19-2002, 12:11 PM
vulcantouch, I'm not convinced by your argument that one should trade to gain, not sell to gain.

If I got a free piece at Toy Fair, then anything I trade for is a profit. Sure, no monies exchange hands, but the end result is that I did profit. If I traded a Toy Fair Vader for . . . let's say 1 POTJ FX-7, I am still profiting $7 because it keeps that money in my pocket. Money that would have been spent at TRU/Wal-Mart etc. From a collector's standpoint, it's easy to make exceptions for trades, but in the end it is the same practice. :)

Sidiously Darth
02-19-2002, 12:57 PM
I did a search on ebay. There are 25+ auctions going on for this figure. All are going or will go well over $100. This is high demand w/ a lack of supply. I'm sure most of these people are out for pure profit or some maybe trying to recoup their costs to go to toyfair. Who really knows?

I know of one particular ebayer(above2b@aol.com) who is bidding on a few of them but he is also selling one of them. Now I find that rather curious. Maybe you should take your crusade to him/her.

I have considered this situation from both ends, and I have no problem w/ what SS did. What really irked me was the fact that one of those you defend already has one and made sure to tell us. So what's his issue. You have one and those of us who want one will probably wait for the fan club to sell them.

From the looks of it, the people bidding on these things don't seem to be hurting for money. Don't be angry or jealous of what others have. It leads to the dark side.;)

2-1B
02-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
What really irked me was the fact that one of those you defend already has one and made sure to tell us. So what's his issue.

Good point :) I think it's great to discuss scalperhood, but it's my impression that an individual came here from another website just to trash SirSteve. Clearly, he was bent over other issues which fueled his argument.

Lord Malakite
02-19-2002, 02:16 PM
The guy that was given SirSteve a hard time runs: www.thejawa.com
He got a Vader because he attended Toy Fair too.

vulcantouch
02-20-2002, 03:02 PM
"in the end it is the same practice"
-it is not, because the results are different.
as i use the terms "gain" and "profit" here, they are not interchangeable. the former's subjective, and determined by one's personal collecting priorities. the latter refers to the reduction of all these items to universally-quantifiable numbers- dollars and cents- often obscenely high numbers.
avoiding gain isn't the point. the point is minimizing the parasitic hypercommodification of what should remain good cheap fun. profit should go to those who've earned it. scalpers haven't.

"an individual came here from another website just to trash SirSteve"
-"motive? who cares about motive? humans, perhaps" -klingon ambassador, tng's "the mind's eye" :) what matters here is that delvec & jd have valid points that the rest of you were dismissing too quickly-
vt

2-1B
02-21-2002, 02:25 AM
"hey caesar, whatevah happened to yer cool psycho pumpjockey aVaTar? :("

It has returned (credit goes to Aerosmith for keeping me a little south of sanity) :)

You make a sound distinction between "gain" and "profit". I agree that scalpers have not earned their profits, just as collector/traders do earn their gains. In this specific case though, I do not see how a person could "scalp" a TF Vader when the public had no chance of purchasing it at or near retail price. Well, it now appears that they might, so . . . :confused:

I noticed Nietszche's name in your link . . . do you think he would lump SW collectors together into one of those content herds of the masses? That is, until one from the herd tries to break away to profit from scalpin' ? :greedy: :)

delvec
03-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

Good point :) I think it's great to discuss scalperhood, but it's my impression that an individual came here from another website just to trash SirSteve. Clearly, he was bent over other issues which fueled his argument.

Sorry to say Caesar your impression was wrong on both counts!
First, I did not come over here just to trash Sir Steve- I have been around here a long time. I questioned his ethics and he turned around and deleted my post!- With I thought he was hiding something. So rather than hide behind the website I work on(I do not own TheJawa.com) I came here to confront Steve himself. There are NO others issues -just this one and that's it!

And Sidiously, I only mentioned I have one myself becuase on numerous occasions it was said that I was jealous that I don't have one myself-thats it!

My arguement is not that it was auctioned. He knew it would end up at the FC and taking his excuse into account -once he accepted the Vader because he loaned someone $$- he basically obtained ownership of it then put it on ebay. If he thought it was only gonna fetch $50 why didnt he put a buy it now option on it? Then once the FC announced it was getting them- he was quick to post it would be in different packaging- which it wouldnt be- why? so people dont think they were swindled (which they were) and pull out. If hes the "Standard" for collecting, which based on his track record he very well may be, why is he selling out to ebay and even taking the risk.

So what you will about me, but I just think theres something wrong with that and won't hide behind my website(well the one I work at). I ain't afraid to call someone on something and based on the stumbling and keep changing story, I find it hard to believe. If you cant see the problem there- Oh well- guess Ill deal with it!

Dryanta
03-02-2002, 05:58 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going.I personally was tired of it two weeks ago.If you have valid points about Sir Steve,great.Sorry to hear that.But I will still visit this site.I've never been to Jawa.com and never will.I guess this whole thing smacks of a bit of jealousy and really have no interest in hearing about any one elses judgements of how Steves behaves.He provides me with the info I want in a format I like.I've been coming to this site for a long time now and have never been wronged in any way.If you have I'm sorry to hear that.If your stand is I (dryanta) have been wronged as a collector.Then maybe your right.I personally would like to be the judge of that.Steve maybe the biggest scalper thief in the world.I don't care. I don't buy stuff from him.I enjoy this site and that's it.I know nothing of you or your site and maybe that's a mistake on my part.But I have to say this whole thing has left a very bad taste in mouth.In my opinion your actions have harmed us all collectors and fans with what strikes me as petty at best.I will grant you the right to decide if you have been wronged or not.
The End(I hope)

Jedi Dan
03-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Hey Steve's lemmings! Got some reading for ya )of cours eI'll be called jealous or something...i call it moral, I don't crap on someones head and call it a hat.of course this thread will pull a claude rains ASAP.

well first , he needed to recoup $250 (or $150, depending when he tells the story) for batteries and made 969.76 from toyfair alone....how much went to charity?

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&userid=sirsteve@sirstevesguide.com&include=0&since=30&sort=3&rows=25

Here's anothe rcontradicitng thread form old steve-o's past:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl4206643592d&hl=en&selm=64ctp2%24ddi%241%4\
0charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Just click on "complete thread," and prepare yourself for some interesting
reading!

Steve: I AM NOT THIS ZOMAN (zoman@juno.com)......I am not stupid and I know how all of this works! Someone is out to get me and is doing quite a job with this one! Right after this post I am going to get to the bottom of it! I am not going to let this one go!

steve a few posts later: Well, I have found out what is going on.... He did his deals (which were all vintage)
on my PC and used my e-mail for it

So the bad trader was named Zoman, lived at Steves address was named steve, used Steves address, was steves cousin, but Steve had no clue til 4 days later it was his cousin? BWAHAHAHAHAH

Sir Steve-o Bin Laden has the bunch of ya fooled!!!!! How many peopel have hooke dhim up with stuff (hard to find, prototypes, etc) only to have it end up on ebay????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

Was it Steve or WC fields that said a sucker is born every minute?

All you fans/friends that can't to C2 ough tto ask steve to help you get a figure...nah, why do that when he can screw you on ebay?

Dryanta
03-07-2002, 05:36 PM
it was P.T. Barnum.
what exactly is your malfunction any way?
Give it up.No one is interested

El Chuxter
03-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Since this entire section is called "Dear Hasbro," I seriously think we need to stay on something at least resembling that subject. If anyone has a beef with anyone else, this isn't the place to air your complaints. I doubt any Hasbro representatives are particularly interested in reading collectors fight amongst themselves.

JediTricks
03-07-2002, 07:37 PM
Good point Chux, this thread is done, I'm closing it myself right now.