PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of TAC - wave 1

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 03:13 PM
We'll start off the "best figure of 2007" poll series with its natural beginning...

Which figure do you consider the best from TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) basic wave 1?

You can use whatever criteria you wish, it's entirely up to you. Maybe you just like the coin, or you were glad to find it, or its articulation was perfect, or you found one painted flawlessly. Whatever makes it the best in your book is fair game.

When we get to the end of the line, we'll put the winners up against each other.

jedi master sal
11-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Even though the Galactic marine can still easily be found, it shouldn't detract from the fact that it's an excellent figure.

It benefits from Super articulation. Not to mention the battle damage/dirt applied was by hand, therefore giving it some serious variance. I've never liked battle damage on figures before this one.

That it has a removable helmet is a cool bonus feature.

So that's my vote for this wave.

Thanks to JT for taking my idea and running with it.
That's sinceere too, not jesting.

-Sal

TheRealDubya
11-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks to JT for taking my idea and running with it.
That's sinceere too, not jesting.

Props to both JT and Sal. This will be a fun poll.

Neuroleptic
11-30-2007, 06:14 PM
I had to go with the Air Borne Trooper. I would have gone with the Galactic Marien, but a snow trooper would have just clashed with the rest of my figures on my book shelf. Though I didn't know its helmet came off too. I may have to think about getting one now.

Anyway, I went with the Air borne trooper for the same reasons you went for the galactic marine, only I like the desighn of the Air borne trooper more. Close call though, since the GM was done well.

DarkArtist
11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I cast my vote for the McStormie - while the Marine was a great figure, I'm a huge art fan and McQuarrie fan so McStormie is the one for me.

Tycho
11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Galactic Marine.

So how many days before each new poll is up? There are 8 waves or "8 1/2" plus battle packs, comic packs, etc?

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm doing staggered polls every 3 days, the polls run 6 days, so what'll happen is I'll unstick this thread when wave 2 goes up, when wave 3 goes up this poll will close. My only concern is that once wave 8 goes up, there will be a 6-day gap of polls until the winners poll goes up, and that'd be on the 30th so we wouldn't have a true winner until the first week of '08.

With the gap, I could start wave 1 with the losers poll (I may not do the losers in waves, but cherry-pick them from either personal tastes or the results on these polls).

With the end-date of the whole shebang though, that's another problem, and the only way I can think of to address it is starting polls every 2 days instead of 3, but that to me might be overkill. Even if I don't include wave 7.5 in the poll (since they're all crappy repaints and there's no McQuarrie), every 3 days would still end the poll the day after new year's.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mr Burns
11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
:thumbsup:Keep it as it is, as I think it'll be overkill if you do them that often. Theres no rush

Kidhuman
11-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I went with the Galactic Marine. It is a really nice figure. Good articulation and worth it. Too bad I didnt need alot of them(4 only) for the death to Ki-Adi scene.

Battle Droid
11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Super Battle Droid

bigbarada
11-30-2007, 10:15 PM
I picked the Airborne Trooper. My favorite variation of the Ep3 Clonetrooper armor and an extremely well made figure (this figure temporarily makes me forget how much I dislike the prequels).

The Galactic Marine loses out for me because his "skirt" is so rigid and tightly fitting that it effectively cancels out his leg articulation, he's a salt shaker.

Tycho
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I went with the Galactic Marine. It is a really nice figure. Good articulation and worth it. Too bad I didnt need alot of them(4 only) for the death to Ki-Adi scene.

That's exactly what I used, to. Notice how sometimes (for those of us who do scenes and need to buy multiples) it's not usually the really great figures that we get to buy multiples of?

Back in the day, I found like 6 or 7 Ephant Mons, but only kept 2 of them for my personal use in my collection.

I got 2 Darth Vaders with Removeable Helmets (I'm talking about the 1998 Freeze Frame - my preference for this figure) and one I have just because I wanted another and I use him with his helmet ON as I would any regular Darth.

pegger
11-30-2007, 10:24 PM
I voted Galatic Marine. Airborne lost out to me, because his helmet doesn't fit properly. The Marine was neutal posed, helmet fit nicely, and was an all-around solid fig.

figrin bran
12-01-2007, 02:09 AM
The ridiculous number of Galactic Marines I own compelled me to vote for them :p

jedi master sal
12-01-2007, 03:20 AM
I have to agree that the Airborne trooper is a superior figure. Were the helmet to have fit better AND were it not for the fact that it technically came out first in the Mace Windu squad battle pack as a purple commander, I would have voted for it. Well those and that the battle damage is the same from Airborne trooper to Airborne trooper.

Still it's a close second for me. And that reflects in the poll as well.

JT, please keep the repaint wave in. I don't expect it to win the overall poll for the year, but I'd still like to see how people vote for their favorite from this wave.

Thanks everyone for participating so far and please keep doing so.

-Sal

jedi master sal
12-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Oh and one thing that gets me is how the current top two are pegwarmers.

It shows that Hasbro just packed way to many of them. The are indeed great figures.

I have about 14 Airborne and 2 dozen Marines. So I did my part in building them...lol.

If there would have been more in the movie, I would have bought even more of them.

JediTricks
12-01-2007, 03:24 AM
It was a tough call, but I decided to give it to the Concept Trooper because I think the new paint really delivered where the original came up short. The Galactic Marine was my other choice, it's got great detail and sculpting all around, though it's true that the skirt is very limiting. I like the Airborne Trooper too but the helmet doesn't fit that well and can leave the guy's chin exposed - plus, he has a purse. :p

obi-dad
12-01-2007, 04:10 AM
I actually went with the lava miner, as I am simply done with clones... I thought the miner just looked cool and captured the character. I didn't go with McStormie probably because it was just a repaint, but still an awesome figure.

I take full responsibility for all clones that are clogging the pegs. :D

sebillba
12-01-2007, 10:03 AM
It's been a while since I've posted, but I love a good poll, so thought I would join in. Not sure how long for though, as I'm only up to wave 5, and have had to put those away for Christmas.

I'm not really a clone fan, but the GM is a great looking figure, with good articulation. It beats the AT for me, not only because I think it looks cooler, but my AT has loose wrist joints and has trouble holding his guns, so loses points there. I almost went for the Lava Miner, but it's a little too pre-posed, and I had difficulty getting him to hold his accessory. So GM takes it.

Jaff
12-01-2007, 10:09 AM
The Airborne trooper for me. I really like the R2-D2 of this wave though. It's a great prop, and used with two battle droids it looks even better. The Galactic Marine was up there too.

Snowtrooper
12-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Its the Galactic Marine for me. This was one I was looking forward to for a long time, ever since I saw it in ROTS. Its got great detailing, from the head down to the boots and great articulation. I just wish they would have packed it with the Airborne's rifle.

Wave 1: From favorite to least

1. Galactic Marine
2. Airborne Trooper
3. Super Battle Droid
4. McQuarrie Stormtrooper
5. Lava Miner
6. Mace Windu
7. R2-D2
8. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Desfiy
12-01-2007, 07:01 PM
My vote was easy its the only one I got out of these, and the only one I wanted to get out of these.

McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper

Ji'dai
12-02-2007, 02:30 PM
My vote was easy its the only one I got out of these, and the only one I wanted to get out of these.

McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper Ditto. The Concept Stormtrooper was the only figure I bought from the first wave so it gets my vote. I originally intended to pass on that one too since it was a repaint and only has basic articulation. Now I have seven, including the three I bought in 2003.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Super Battle Droid - it's just so much better than the other versions.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Super Battle Droid

dido... the best figure in the wave easy.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2007, 05:21 PM
This was a tough vote. In retrospect, these figures don't impress me as much. I was probably most interested in the clones, however I was a bit frustrated with the figures. I had trouble getting the Marine to stand on his own. The skirt made manipulating his legs difficult. The Airborne Trooper was a pretty good figure, but the helmet had trouble staying down. Having the strap from the pack around his neck added to this problem.

The Lava Miner has some nice detail and articulation, but his leg being out to the side without having the foot flat on the ground also made for standing issues. Putting him on a stand means the one leg is not going to be on the stand.

Obi-Wan is basically a repack with a new head sculpt and accessories. I was never a fan of the wide stance legs.

Mace Windu is all right when compared to previous Mace's. The arms are a bit blocky, but that is covered up by the cloak. However, the cloak kind of interferes with adjusting his arms.

I like the concept Stormtrooper. It was nice to have this hard to find figure reissued and to have the whole McQuarrie line of figures. However, lack of leg articulation holds this one back a bit.

So, it comes down to R2 and Super Battle Droid. It's hard to vote for yet another R2, but it does have the type of middle leg that I prefer. Given my dislike of previous SBD figures, I'm kind of biased against this one as well. However, it is quite an improvement, at least in terms of articulation. It looks best when used in conjunction with R2 and the fire attachments.

So, I somewhat reluctantly voted for the Super Battle Droid.

jediguy
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
the airborne trooper
I voted for him because of the articulation and the accessories

(it's called a satchel, not a purse) :)
I do admit I am disappointed with the size of his helmet, but the satchel with the pistol inside and the larger barrel of the rifle are what tripped my trigger to vote for him
the GM was a close second, but his rifle is the skinny one, and that was all he came with

waboritas
12-02-2007, 08:36 PM
McStormie for me. Never got it the first time around, so I bought two of them. Brought me down the path of collecting a sub-line (the McFigs) for the first time since '96 when I started collecting again and only bought Han Solo figures. The Han Solo figure deal didn't last long and my collection grew pretty quick and continues to grow now (I need a bigger house with a finished basement). Only if I was kid again - I just hope my 9 month old likes Star Wars as much as I do....

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
That skinny rifle the GM came with was a real frustration, but I must confess it wasn't one of the criteria that kept it from being my vote.

I've never collected an MOMC sub-line before, these McQuarries are my first and I kinda hate it. :p

Uki
12-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I went with McStormie. I love that whole subset, and stormtroopers are my favorite troopers anyway. I'm a bit cloned out by now. ..I mean, I still buy them all, but...it's a sickness.

JediTricks
12-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Well, it's officially the Galactic Marine for the win!

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 02:19 AM
No justice at all.... Just a glorified purple Snowtrooper. Even with the ill-fitting helmet, the Airborne Trooper is vastly superior.

I move that we recount, and take into account all hanging chads in the state of Florida.

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 03:10 AM
It's not exactly a close call here. :p