PDA

View Full Version : Expanding play pattern

skystreak
11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Preface: I'm not even going to try to deny that I dig Galactic Heroes quite a bit. I got out of SW toy collecting a number of years ago, but started picking up Playskool Star Wars when my wife was pregnant, and have gotten every Galactic Heroes set since. I enjoy the hell out of finding them and looking at them and playing with them, but make no mistake; They are for my son. Each and every box will be opened, and it is my hope that these toys look as bad (translation: loved) as my Kenner figures did back in the day.

That being said, I think there are a couple of figures that need to be made for this line to expand the play pattern of these Star Wars toys.

Here are the two most important figures that need to be released:

1. Jedi Padawan Anakin (as seen in the celebration scene at teh end of Episode 1)

2. Ceremonial Luke (as seen in the ceremony scene at the end of A New Hope).

Not only will these figures appeal to collectors, they will also allow kids to do more than re-create scenes from the movies; it will allow them to use their imaginations to 'fill in the blanks' between Episodes I and II, and ANH and ESB with movie accurate costumes for the main protagonists.

As far as I can see, it is a win/win situation.

bigbarada
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Preface: I'm not even going to try to deny that I dig Galactic Heroes quite a bit. I got out of SW toy collecting a number of years ago, but started picking up Playskool Star Wars when my wife was pregnant, and have gotten every Galactic Heroes set since. I enjoy the hell out of finding them and looking at them and playing with them, but make no mistake; They are for my son. Each and every box will be opened, and it is my hope that these toys look as bad (translation: loved) as my Kenner figures did back in the day.

That being said, I think there are a couple of figures that need to be made for this line to expand the play pattern of these Star Wars toys.

Here are the two most important figures that need to be released:

1. Jedi Padawan Anakin (as seen in the celebration scene at teh end of Episode 1)

2. Ceremonial Luke (as seen in the ceremony scene at the end of A New Hope).

Not only will these figures appeal to collectors, they will also allow kids to do more than re-create scenes from the movies; it will allow them to use their imaginations to 'fill in the blanks' between Episodes I and II, and ANH and ESB with movie accurate costumes for the main protagonists.

As far as I can see, it is a win/win situation.

Both of those would be cool figures for the line. I'm actually surprised we don't see more Ep1 Anakin figures as Galactic Heroes. Ceremonial Luke is probably the last OT Luke figure for Hasbro to make as a GH, so I'm sure we'll see him pretty soon, too.

Plus, I wholeheartedly agree with you, the purpose of action figures isn't to just endlessly recreate movie scenes or build static, dust-collecting dioramas. The purpose of action figures is to act as a springboard for kids' imaginations and to allow their minds to expand upon the concepts of the films.

That was why I always gravitated towards the figures that most modern collectors would consider "background filler." I liked that fact that many of the toys were 'blank slates,' because it allowed me to fill in my own details and come up with my own backstory for each figure.