PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your non-SW hobby...

Exhaust Port
12-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Just curious what the folks here do to entertain themselves when they aren't dusting their SW figures. Sports? Crafts? Hunting?

My recent hobby has become geocaching. I say recent but it's been almost 2 years since I started. For those that aren't aware of geocaching, it's simply finding hidden containers in the woods/cities/parks/etc. using nothing more than provided coordinates and a handheld GPS. I'll admit that on paper it seems a bit absurd but we've come to enjoy the time outdoors that it provides us.

My wife and I came across this hobby after our first date. We lived 2+ hours apart and were looking for something to do in her neck of the woods when I was going to drive up there for the first time. I can't quite remember what brought it to our attention but since my dad had a GPS we could borrow we thought we'd give it a shot. We were hooked right away. It turned out to be a great way to explore an area, no matter how familiar. Over the course of a few days we had hiked through the 4 corners of her town and beyond, even going to places she never even knew existed. Next time she visited me we tried it in my area and once again we had a great time. Having lived here for 30 years I thought I had seen it all but even now we're still being pointed to parks I never new existed.

Geocaching turned out to be a great date idea. Beyond the initial GPS purchase it only cost us batteries occasionally and gas for the car. Another aspect we like is that the database of geocaches is made up of "caches" created by the folks who do this as a hobby. Anyone involved can create a cache by placing a container of any size out in the world and posting the coordinates online for others to find. Some of the geocaches are quite entertaining as they'll take you to a historical or famous location which being a little bit of a history nerd I rather like. For example, there is a cache hidden at the memorial for the May 4th shootings at Kent State. Man, I even went to school there and never once went to the memorial until we found that placed cache.

In the ultimate geocaching nerd move I created a cache to propose to my wife. One morning I woke her to tell her that a new cache had been placed in the park near our house that we've enjoyed hiking through. I thought we should give it a try so we jumped in the car and headed out. So deep in the woods she found the camouflaged container but rather than there being a logbook inside she found my marriage proposal. She got a real kick out of that. Soon after that we published the coordinates online so others could find our engagement cache. Friends and family have enjoyed find it as well.

Well that sums up my major non-SW hobby. Now I'm starting to get an itch for woodworking. Thanks to home improvement requirements I've got a rather nice collection of tools which are suited for trying to build something new rather than fix something old. We'll see where that goes.

What things do you enjoy?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
That sounds pretty cool, and this was a good thread idea.

I'd like to say filmmaking, but I don't get enough time or good ideas or, in many cases, enough drive to do it.

A major one is drumming, which I have been doing for a little over a year now. I take lessons and occasionally listen to songs to transcribe the drum beats to play them. I think I'm pretty good, but it's more difficult than most people would probably think. In the same vein I try to play guitar, and I wouldn't call myself great by any stretch of the imagination but I know a few things.

mabudonicus
12-02-2007, 10:46 AM
As most of my friends here know, I am something of a musician and like to play and jam and come up with new tunes and sometimes actually record stuff even.

My MAIN hobby is growing Carnivorous plants from around the world. I have like 50+ species from I think 10 different Geni (whatever the plural is). I have bug eating plants in every room BUT the washroom, as well as a swamp outside.

I think the geo-caching thing is nifty, but I only ride my bicycle and I doubt I could find much of anything in our crummy town.

A good thread idea to be sure!!
:beard: Iso & Baws

TeeEye7
12-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah...and some people across the border have been known to get caught up in your passion for carnivorous plants and give it a go themselves ;)! (Thanks to a lot of coaching from the Master).

It's definitely a non-SW hobby worth pursuing! :thumbsup:

LusiferSam
12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
I do a lot of camping. I try and go out at least once a month for matter what the weather. At one point I was spending more than 30 days of each year out. This last year I've been out in 100 plus and -30 below weather. I'm not sure how eager I am to do either of those extremes again real soon.

I'm also a pretty avid cross-country skier. I try and to do every weekend during the ski season. Generally I prefer back country skiing, but not telemarking. I'll likely go out today and see how the snow is. It's still early in the season so I don't know how good it will be.

My other major hobby is building WWII airplanes. They are 1:48 scale. I like the subject of WWII a lot and the planes are fascinating. Biplanes to jet fighters. Right now I'm working on three planes (I try and keep it to three), a Spitfire Mk IX, MiG-3, and Me 262 A-1. The Spitfire is being painted, so I about three fourth done with it. The other two I still working on the cockpits.

I think geocaching is dumb. The not active, that's a lot of fun. The word is dumb. Call it what it really is.

JimJamBonds
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
My MAIN hobby is growing Carnivorous plants from around the world. I have like 50+ species from I think 10 different Geni (whatever the plural is). I have bug eating plants in every room BUT the washroom, as well as a swamp outside.

AWESOME!!!

CaptainSolo1138
12-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm a ridiculously ginormous NHL fan.

jjreason
12-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I think geocaching is dumb. The not active, that's a lot of fun. The word is dumb. Call it what it really is.

:confused:

I thought it sounded pretty cool.

My other hobbies are collecting comics, which is basically the same as collecting star wars - it's the "getting stuff" that turns me on, as well as the crossing whatever I got off my list of "needed" items.

Other than collecting, I really like to play ice hockey and softball which I do in their respective seasons. I also enjoy coaching sports, though I haven't been involved in that since our family move last fall.

I've been thinking lately that I might like to get into reffing football games - not only is it outdoors and active, you get paid a little bit for your time.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I make lists. It seems like a joke, but I really do enjoy cataloging, archiving, compiling, contrasting, etc.

I am addicted to reading, but sadly it's only during times of the year when my teaching is less busy. Surprise: I have a list of all the books I've ever read, at least as many as I can recall or verify.

I used to be in a fantasy football league, but gave that up a couple years back. I still mentally calculate fantasy points when I see scores and stats on the TV. Surprise: I have lists of stats from the 5 years I was in that league.

I write, mainly short stories and poems, although not as often as I'd like to do. I have a few ideas for books, and even began an outline of one. Oddly enough, not many lists of these (although I have transferred almost all my work over the years to electronic versions, too).

I have been the organizer of our department's literary journal the last three years, printing and structuring any writings they've done into a bound color-cover compilation.

BountyHunterScum
12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Diecast models, I go after M3's, 69 Camaro's, Mustang's, R8's, Camaro Concepts and then some movie/tv cars. I have quite a few M3 diecasts.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2007, 08:54 PM
I ran track & cross country competitively in high school and college. I've run less and less since then, but I've still been running at least once a week most weeks. I really need to get back to running more regularly.

I also have a bit of a football helmet collection. I don't have the money or space to do the full size or even the mini helmets, so I go with the tiny ones. When I was five, I got a complete set for Christmas of the kind you find in the gumball machines. Sears had the sets back then and they came with goal posts to display them on. I played with them so much that the decals faded. I got another set in 5th or 6th grade. Years later I was looking for info on them on the internet when I came across a helmet club on the internet. So, I am on a mailing list that discusses all sorts of helmet related topics. I then discovered the Pocket Pro helmets made by Riddell that are much more realistic than the old gumball style ones. I have quite a few sets of those that include current and throwback NFL helmets, and several different college conferences. I also got some newer sets of the gumball helmets that look a lot more like the Pocket Pros than the old style gumball helmets.

I have an internet radio station called Mad Slanted Powers. It's kind of fun to create a station with the music I like and to see that people actually tune in to listen. It's nothing too fancy. Just a playlist that repeats itself, but I change a block of songs every few days. I've been slacking a bit on it lately though and only changing about once a week.

Neuroleptic
12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I do some sketching, drawing, painting, writing, model kit biulding (some star wars but not always) resurch on random topics, reading, take care of several aquariums and two cats, and I like to wander Ebay, though I rarely actualy buy something. I also like some Anime (though a lot of it is absolutely garbage). I'v never been athleatic, but when I lived in Hawaii I loved to go snorkaling or go for long walks around the island. Kansas is too cold to do either of those things though, so my out door hobbies are preaty much dead. Good thing I do a lot of walking, standing and lifting in my job, otherwise, I'd never get exercise.

I suppose all of my hobbies could involve star wars now that I think about it, but the only hobbie I have that focuses exclusively on star wars is figure collecting.

Kidhuman
12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I work alot lately

BountyHunterScum
12-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I also have a Star Trek "hobby" as some of you have seen.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2007, 11:12 AM

I think you meant to write "Not the activity, that's a lot of fun". I agree. "Looking for garbage hidden in the woods" is too long of a name. :) Any suggestions?

My other big non-SW hobby which has been dormant for a few years now is my interest in old buses. I get the occasional book about them but I'm lying in wait until I fix up my house. My job in college was driving transit and charter buses which is where this whole thing started. The company I worked for went out of business and they sold off/got rid of their stuff so being close to the managers there I ended up with a lot of memorabilia. The largest pieces I have are 2 transit buses. a 1956 and 1972. While they both run my dream is to fix them up to as close to "new" condition as my pocketbook/wife will allow. First I need to build a garage then the fun will begin.

Blue2th
12-03-2007, 11:54 AM
What used to be a hobby, turned into a source of income.
I learned to play Bass at a young age, and everybody was always looking for a Bassist, so I was always playing for someone.
Then as a hobby, I learned guitar, got good, now I make money doing that.

Recently I have been learning keyboards/ synthesizer. This is a real challenge but I have been learning it by using chord charts and having a good ear. The programming side of it (splits-layers-sounds) is another part of it also, and a little more difficult, but I have been making progress.

Let's see, I used to snorkle alot when I lived in Florida. Then I used to ski every weekend in winter when I lived near the Colorado border. Those things tapered off or were eliminated altogether with my location now (Albuquerque)

I collect alot of other things like: GI Joes, Ultimate Soldier, Johnny Lightnings, Greenlights, Military memorabilia, Old guitar effects, Tube amps, Star Trek etc.

I recently got a metal detector as a gift, so I'm thinking about looking for meteorites, coins, and things from the past. Seems like it could turn into a fun hobby.

LusiferSam
12-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I think you meant to write "Not the activity, that's a lot of fun". I agree. "Looking for garbage hidden in the woods" is too long of a name. :) Any suggestions?

Oh, your right. :rolleyes: The dyslexia really been hitting me bad this week. Hopefully I don't mess this post up too.

Any little kid could tell you would your doing. You've got a map with X marks the spot on it. I don't know what you'd call it (well I guess I do), but I know what I'd call it.

Kidhuman
12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
I call it site seeing.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I'd call it treasure hunting.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Any other questions check out the official website.

http://www.geocaching.com/

darthvyn
12-03-2007, 09:00 PM
i'm with jj - comics are my big passion. bigger than star wars for me. spider-man is probably 50% of my habit, but there are others that are nearly as important.

select toys of comic and movie characters are another hobby.

i went to school for illustration, but to date it's been nothing more than a hobby as well. i have used my graphic design training in more lucrative ways.

other than that, web design is another hobby, which is cool as it's my livelihood as well. i've combined passions by creating websites dedicated to my comic book hobby (www.WallCrawlersWeb.com, Invincible.Comics-Database.com (http://invincible.comics-database.com)) and my art hobby (dailyscribble.vynsane.com (http://dailyscribble.vynsane.com)).

DarthQuack
12-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I collected comics, baseball cards when I was a kid....and even ventured into the Frank Costanza hobby of collecting TV Guides for a few years....I still have them in plastic bags in my dads attic....I had 400-500 of them I think? Including a few year runs....it was kind of cool at the time....just fell outta it, and the bigger magazines didn't make it as fun.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2007, 09:59 PM
other than that, web design is another hobby, which is cool as it's my livelihood as well. i've combined passions by creating websites dedicated to my comic book hobby (www.WallCrawlersWeb.com (http://www.WallCrawlersWeb.com), Invincible.Comics-Database.com (http://invincible.comics-database.com)) and my art hobby (dailyscribble.vynsane.com (http://dailyscribble.vynsane.com)).

Wow, your art stuff is really good, keep it up. My brother is quite the artist but doesn't do it professionally. His job took him away from it for quite awhile but he's back into it and taking up painting. Artists seem to be at their happiest when they are still dabbling into art in their free time.

I kind of forgot that I collected Venom comics years (and years?) ago. They are somewhere in my house or my parents house still neatly wrapped in their plastic sleeves. I should probably dig those out and sell them to someone with a bit more interest in them.

Kidhuman
12-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I used to collect comics and baseball cards also. I worked in a comic/baseball card sop when I was 13-17, so I had a ton of stuff. I got rid of all my cards sans a few of them and 95% of my comics.

star Wars is my main hobby right now, dont really venture into much other stuff.

darthvyn
12-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Wow, your art stuff is really good, keep it up.

thanks, man!

My brother is quite the artist but doesn't do it professionally. His job took him away from it for quite awhile but he's back into it and taking up painting. Artists seem to be at their happiest when they are still dabbling into art in their free time.

yeah, i would love to draw comics for a living, but i'd hate for it to become "just a job". so far i've not had that happen with web design, but it's always a lingering fear...

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Im really into photography. Mostly I like old things; old buildings, old machinery. I take a lot out where my great grandparents used to live. If anyone cares to see anything, theres a link to my site in my sig.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I collected basketball cards rather than baseball cards. I remember the 1979-80 packs were in the stores for a long time, the ones with 1978-1979 stats on the back. I got some from the 1981-82 set as well. I got back into it in college when the market became saturated with sports cards and sports card shops. My college roommate and I would take the bus to the card shop and buy a box of packs. He'd get baseball, and I would get basketball. I did get a few football ones and maybe one complete set of baseball cards.

Now I'm starting to get an itch for woodworking. Thanks to home improvement requirements I've got a rather nice collection of tools which are suited for trying to build something new rather than fix something old. We'll see where that goes.I work for a company that sells woodworking and metalworking machines, tools and accessories. I don't know much about it though, as I work in the accounting department. While I got an A- in high school woodshop, I broke a band saw during class one time. The teacher replaced it and then said, "you break this one, I break you."

Exhaust Port
12-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Im really into photography. Mostly I like old things; old buildings, old machinery. I take a lot out where my great grandparents used to live. If anyone cares to see anything, theres a link to my site in my sig.

Nice pictures. Are you 100% digital or do you still use film? How much work do you do for each picture in photo editing software?

I like your signature quote too. I've met a few folks who think a fancy SLR = better pictures. I enjoy taking pictures but have only used small digital cameras which I still don't think I have fully explored. I would love to get a digital SLR but I figure until I fully understand f-stop, exposure, ISO, etc. in a smaller version getting a nicer/bigger camera won't make my pictures any better, possibly worse. Right now I'm just working on my picture compositions then start playing with f-stops. A friend of ours had a new SLR at our wedding and took a ton of pictures for us (in addition to the professional) and was surprised that maybe only 10 pictures turned out. Obviously the learning curve is really high from a point and shoot to SLR.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Nice pictures. Are you 100% digital or do you still use film? How much work do you do for each picture in photo editing software?

I like your signature quote too. I've met a few folks who think a fancy SLR = better pictures. I enjoy taking pictures but have only used small digital cameras which I still don't think I have fully explored. I would love to get a digital SLR but I figure until I fully understand f-stop, exposure, ISO, etc. in a smaller version getting a nicer/bigger camera won't make my pictures any better, possibly worse. Right now I'm just working on my picture compositions then start playing with f-stops. A friend of ours had a new SLR at our wedding and took a ton of pictures for us (in addition to the professional) and was surprised that maybe only 10 pictures turned out. Obviously the learning curve is really high from a point and shoot to SLR.

100% digital. Until I have my own darkrrom and am able to develope my own film, I wont touch it. Im very excited to though.

I do very minor touch-up. I would say on average less then 10 minutes per pic.

About half of the stuff on my site was taken with a Kodak point and shoot that had the PASM functions, and was only 4.0 MP. I think it cost me a whopping $300. You dont need the latest and greatest, sometimes the extra functions help, but if you know what you are doing, just about anything will work.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words:thumbsup:

LusiferSam
12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
While I got an A- in high school woodshop, I broke a band saw during class one time. The teacher replaced it and then said, "you break this one, I break you."

That reminds me, I never got credit for the woodshop class I took in high school. I went to a pretty alternative school, so this type of thing happened. :rolleyes: One my friends dad taught the class. He repaired and restored vintage wood pieces for a living. I don't think he would have flipped out if I had broken one of his band saws, he's a super easy going guy. But my friend would have, she runs a like hot like me.

DarthQuack
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I also am/are/was a big Nintendo collector. I've been over at NintendoAge (http://www.nintendoage.com) for a little while and it's pretty fun over there. It's 2nd behind my Star Wars collecting.

Lord Malakite
12-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Any other questions check out the official website.

http://www.geocaching.com/
What is your username on that site Exhaust?

Exhaust Port
12-05-2007, 11:40 AM
It's "152Driver".

jedi master sal
12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm now a big Halo fan. Played all three games, collect the minis and some of the figs and will collect most of the new line of regular figures come next year when they are released.

Big fan of Firefly/Serenity

I'm become a quasi-gamer. I game a big, just not online.

Huge Steelers and Penguins fan (being from Pittsburgh it makes sense)

CaptainSolo1138
12-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Huge...Penguins fan (being from Pittsburgh it makes sense)That's much easier these days, isn't it? :)

jedi master sal
12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
That's much easier these days, isn't it? :)

It's ALWAYS been easy for me. I became a fan when we picked up Lemieux. It's been all good since. We got Jagr in the 90s, now Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

We may have always been contenders for the cup, but I love watching them play regardless. So it's never been hard to root for them.

CaptainSolo1138
12-05-2007, 01:33 PM
It's ALWAYS been easy for me. I became a fan when we picked up Lemieux. It's been all good since. We got Jagr in the 90s, now Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

We may have always been contenders for the cup, but I love watching them play regardless. So it's never been hard to root for them.Things were quite lean in the post-Jagr/pre-Crosby days.

Good to see a "true" Pens fan and not someone else who didn't know the club existed before Evgeni Malkin! :D

mtriv73
12-05-2007, 01:56 PM
My wife and I make wine once or twice a year. I used to do a lot of woodworking, I built a bar (huge with racks for 72 bottles of wine,) a nice rosewood/poplar bench for the foot of the bed, our entertainment center, and a cabinet to hide the recycling bin. I'm also very active with the Jaycees still spending an average of 10 hours a week doing community service work around Maryland. We also use to camp/hike pretty often, but since my son was born in August we haven't had time for much of anything. I really miss getting to the gym to lift, but I'd rather get home and play with him.

Looking out the window reminded me of skiing which we do 2-3 times a winter as well.

Old Fossil
12-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Back in the late 80's-early 90's, I was heavily involved in fantasy role-playing, particularly MERP (Middle-earth role playing). For about a decade that hobby was almost forgotten, as players moved away and everyone involved became caught up in marriages, kids, homes, jobs, college, etc.

For the past year I've been reassembling a collection of the old gaming modules published by Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE), before they lost their Middle-earth license to Tolkien Enterprises. They are truly wonderful, beautifully illustrated sourcebooks detailing places like Moria, Mount Gundabad, Minas Tirith, and dozens of other sites. The fold-out color maps they included, done by Pete Fenlon, are astonishingly detailed works of art. Many of those modules command high prices on the secondary market: the modules for the Grey Mountains, Dol Guldur, and the Northern Waste all can easily fetch $100 or more. Those values have declined somewhat as the hype from the LotR films fades, but there remains a dedicated worldwide market for those adventure guidebooks that keeps them somewhat difficult to obtain.

At the same time, I've been cobbling together a very small group of player characters for small gaming sessions. We strive for a kind of real-world saturation, far removed from simple pillaging of dungeons; players must be very well-versed in the history of Middle-earth, so that they recognize the significance of certain items or individuals they may come across, and understand the relevance of their race to the geopolitical situations they may find themselves in. Getting even the small group together for a 4-5 hour gaming session is very hard to do, what with everyone's obligations to work and family, but it has been very rewarding for all parties so far and I hope to continue gaming with this small cadre of player characters indefinitely.

Tycho
12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I have a lot of things I do:

Before my aneurysm:

surfing
jet skiing (I bought my first wave runner in 1997)
weight lifting (it never really showed, but I wasn't flabby)
karate - I even did tournament fighting and was pretty good

besides Star Wars (today):

writing - I'm finishing a major novel
internet posting - I love political debates, also being a troll sometimes, hobby surveys, 2
movie collecting - I probably like the same stuff all you guys like
TV on DVD collecting (The Shield, Smallville, Miami Vice, A-Team, Young Indy)
Star Trek Video collecting - all series, though I favor DS9
political followings - I love the news, watching governments work (or not)

Toys from Star Trek: Playmates, ArtAsylum/Diamond
Toys from Terminator: McFarlane T1-T3
Toys from Transformers: Alternators, Masterpieces, 2007 movie line

Heavy Metal - I like music with lyrics that mean something, angry guitars, and a lot of passion poured into the music, but clear, good vocals - like Queensryche. I'll fly to some different cities where I have friends to see that band and sort of follow them when I can. I also like Metallica, Rob Zombie, Linkin Park, Saliva, Disturbed, old Skid Row, old Def Leppard, and the list goes on.

But my writing is really important to me. Instead of being just a "fan boy" of what others create, I am doing something for myself.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Huge Steelers and Penguins fan (being from Pittsburgh it makes sense)What, no Pirates, sal? They've been a franchise longer than the other two, have won championships, have some awesome Hall of Fame players. Where's the love for the squad that hasn't had a +.500 record in over a decade-and-a-half? :( :pleased: