PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of TAC - wave 2

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Moving on in our "best figure of 2007" poll series, it's the next logical step...

Which figure do you consider the best from TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) basic wave 2?

Remember, you can use whatever criteria you wish, it's entirely up to you. Maybe you just like the coin, or you were glad to find it, or its articulation was perfect, or you found one painted flawlessly. Whatever makes it the best in your book is fair game.

When we get to the end of the line, we'll put the winners up against each other.

And if you haven't voted in the Wave 1 poll (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36628) yet, it'll be open until the 6th.

Battle Droid
12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Concept Boba Fett

bigbarada
12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Easy choice for me: McFett. All the extra features, the interchangeable helmets, the articulation make for one of the best figures of the year. Easily the most notable figure made this year.

Luke, Han, Death Star Trooper, Biggs were all pretty substandard to me. The Rebel Honor Guard is a great figure of probably the most boring character in the SW universe.

Kidhuman
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
McFEtt, the rest of the wave basically sucked arse. I think I only got the Rebel Honor Guard and the DST from it.

dindae
12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I found this wave one of the most boring waves of the year. Considering only the Honor Guard and Fett were new figures it is no wonder most of these can still be found. I wanted to vote for the Honor Guard because I do like the figure and it is a good figure and new figure from the movies, but Fett is really an excellent figure I couldn't not vote for him.

Neuroleptic
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I voted for the deathstar trooper. It wins, but only by default.

Why? Not because it is necesarily the best or not. Mostly because it is the ONLY figure from wave two I have been able to actualy see in person. Kinda a lame reason I suppose, but it will have to do out of fairness.

sebillba
12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I can't get excited about any of these, but have voted for Concept Fett as the only one vaguely interesting.

bigbarada
12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Are we going to do a "worst of" poll? Or should we just list the figure we like the least from each wave in the discussion threads?

DarkArtist
12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Concept Fett - no question best figure of the wave

jediguy
12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
McFett

the honor guard was at second, death star trooper with the neutral pose third, and all of the others tied for last

happy
12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Anyone else think we might see many of the McQuarrie figures winning the polls?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I chose Concept Fett, with the Death Star Trooper a close second. As has been stated, this was a boring wave overall.

bigbarada
12-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Anyone else think we might see many of the McQuarrie figures winning the polls?

Not really, because aside from their scarcity, they aren't really overly remarkable figures (with the possible exception of McFett, IMHO). Wave 1 and 2 were probably the weakest waves this year, so it's no surprise that the McQuarrie figures stand out.

bigbarada
12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
I just realized that this wave had the Ceremonial Luke, not the Moisture Vaporator Luke.:o That's actually one of my favorite figures from this year, but he's still no match for Concept Boba. So, it doesn't change my vote.

DarthBrandon
12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Concept Fett - best figure of the wave.
Honor Guard - 2nd best figure of the wave.
Death Star Trooper - 3rd best of the wave.

The rest were carp.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Actually as much as i love some of the figures from this wave, i gotta give it to MC Fett. This figure is hands down the best figure of the wave if not the year. The Death Star Trooper is a really good figure, but it has a standing issue at least for me. Luke (Yavin) is one of my favorite figures here as well and it was hard to say this figure wasn't great, and the Honor Guard while a figure i've always wanted he is boring, but he's still a great figure. The rest was crap...poor Han.

OC47150
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but the Death Star trooper has been one of my favorite figures for the year. I've waited for this figure for a long time.

Old Fossil
12-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but the Death Star trooper has been one of my favorite figures for the year. I've waited for this figure for a long time.

Me, too! It was a real toss-up for me between the DST and the McFett, but I eventually went with the latter. Just a fun, cool figure overall!

figrin bran
12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I voted for Concept Fett as well.

Desfiy
12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
It was a tough for the ones I picked up, but I had to go for McFett.

plasticfetish
12-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Concept Boba Fett gets my vote also.

Tycho
12-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Death Star Trooper. One day I hope to build a playable environment in a custom Star Destroyer toy (about 7-9 ft long and obviously out of scale, but seriously...) I got 6 DSTs to help me eventually crew it.

If I ever build the darn thing and need more Imperials of various types, I don't think it will be that costly, especially in the way of comparison to what I have to put out for the custom Star Destroyer.

I also think I ruined it for everyone else at Hasbro Toy Shop. I ordered 6 (six) Death Star Troopers from them the exact day before they started a 2 per customer rule (and now I think it's 1 per customer of any given figure). But I only wanted 6 DSTs from this wave (there are other types of Imperials), so I got what I wanted from HTS.

I like Concept Fett. I don't buy every McQuarrie, but think I've purchased about half of the ones they offered. I did get 2 McFetts to help me make a custom Mandalorian squad to fight Count Dooku in a recreation of a scene from "Jango Fett: Open Season," the comic. I'm going to display one with each head type, a Jango, a Boba (as Jaster Mureel as the comic reveals that is where Boba got his armor) and the Holiday Special Fett. I think these guys put together look great and it saves me from ever needing the Entertainment Earth Mandalorian sets which I have no plans to buy.

mtriv73
12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
I voted for Biggs. Even though they used the tired old Dutch Vander mold, he was due for a resculpt. My concept Boba was too hard to find and falls apart at the waist joint if you look at it funny. I liked the death star trooper too, but the eyes just weren't painted to my liking on any of the samples. Ceremonial Luke was having a really bad hair day and his skin looked pale. I'm almost as sick of tweaks to Han Solo as I am with new Vaders. If the headset was removable, this would have been an easy win though (I don't know why, but I just feel that way.) The rebel honor guard was sufficient and that's the best I can say about it. The face sculpt reminded me of the rebel trooper on steroids from about 10 years ago.

Cane_Adiss
12-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Both waves 1 and 2 were pretty boring to me. I only picked up 3 figures between the two waves: McStormtrooper, Lava Miner and McFett. So obviously I voted for McFett this time around. I should probably pick up the Rebel Guard and Pilot Biggs as they are becoming scarcer around here and they are both great figures.

waboritas
12-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I voted McFett, but really like the Rebel Honor Guard as a very close second. Passed on Han and Luke. Didn't have a Biggs pilot and liked the Death Star Trooper as well.

jedibear
12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
This one's a no-brainer...Concept fett! It's even McQuarrie's favorite of the concept line (according to an interview a couple of issues back in Toyfare).

While the wave seemed lackluster, the pilot Biggs and Death Star Trooper were both decent updates and except for the WTF head, the yavin Luke was okay. The Honor Guard was a nice scene-filler...but the Han was a waste.

jedi master sal
12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
I kinda figured McFett would get all the love in this one.

However I didn't choose him first. While it's a very respectable figure, I went with my heart and chose the DST. Now thinking on that I prolly should have chosen McFett...

I've just been such a big DST fan for years even still liking the older POTF2 mold.

Both figures rank right up there to me, with the Rebel Honor Guard a semi-distant turd..er, third.

pegger
12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I also voted McFett. It was a tight race too with the DST. My only complaint on him is that his stance is a little too wide. (versus the WAY to wide stance of the Rebel Honor Guard).

Blue2th
12-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Gonna have to go with the flow on this. Concept Boba's the one.

Uki
12-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I went with McFett. He's a bad dude.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-04-2007, 08:40 PM
I voted for McFett. It's such a fantastic figure and when you compare it to the actual artwork, Hasbro really outdid themselves on this sculpt.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
This was a tough choice.

The Rebel Honor Guard was cool as it was a new figure, and one I could get more than one of for a bit of army building. I don't like the wide stance though. Also, the strap came loose when adjusting his head. It fits back into a notch, but it was a bit hard to get it back in there and keep it intact when I put the helmet back on.

Han is a decent figure, but a scene specific kit-bash.

Luke would contend for the best here if not for the odd head. I like this figure a lot better than the POTF2 version.

Death Star Trooper is a much needed update to the POTF2 version, and a great improvement it is.

Biggs is also a nice update with the Dutch Vander body and removable helmet.

Boba Fett is a great figure with the extra head, accessories and articulation. I've not take the band off the middle to see how that hatch thing works.

In the end, I went with the Death Star Trooper. Concept Fett may actually be better, but the Death Star Trooper was more needed since the POTF2 version was rather goofy looking with the pose and big gun.

Snowtrooper
12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Although I really liked the DST my vote went to McFett. Its just a really cool figure, no matter how you look at it. I really like that they made two heads for it, the one with the mouth guns being my favorite.

Wave 2 rankings:

1. McQuarrie Boba Fett
2. Death Star Trooper
3. Han Solo Gunner
4. Rebel Honor Guard-would have ranked higher with a narrower stance.
5. Luke Ceremonial-a better head would have made this perfect.
6. Biggs Pilot

bigbarada
12-05-2007, 01:58 AM
My prediction is that this will be the most lopsided poll of them all.

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Are we going to do a "worst of" poll? Or should we just list the figure we like the least from each wave in the discussion threads?There will be some sort of "worst of" poll towards the end, though I'm not sure how I'll do it, I may just cherrypick the absolute 10 worst from the whole wave (though I'm not sure if I'll bother with wave 7.5, too easy).

Anyone else think we might see many of the McQuarrie figures winning the polls?I thought that at first too, but the Galactic Marine is well in front on wave 1, and I don't think any other McQuarries are going to fare as well as Fett here, so unless McFett is the absolute best of 2007, I doubt we'll see that. But it may happen, it is an awesome figure.

I just realized that this wave had the Ceremonial Luke, not the Moisture Vaporator Luke.:o That's actually one of my favorite figures from this year, but he's still no match for Concept Boba. So, it doesn't change my vote.Which is why I put "(Yavin)" after his name. :p

Kidhuman
12-05-2007, 06:02 AM
My prediction is that this will be the most lopsided poll of them all.

I am wondering about wave 5 and Hermie Odle. That could be also.

Jaff
12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm the only one who voted for the Han Solo, but I like the fig. It's very detailed and I've been wanting this fig and luke for some time now. The Falcon Gunner fig was just terrible. I like the concept Fett, but EU stuff is easily discarded by me.

My order of faves would be
1. Han Solo Gunner
2. Luke Skywalker Yavin
3. Mcquarrie Boba Fett
4. Biggs Darklighter
5. Death Star Trooper
6. Rebel Honor Guard (couldn't they have made this one without spread legs and a trigger finger pose)

bigbarada
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Which is why I put "(Yavin)" after his name. :p

I'm glad I didn't make any comments about him coming with a Moisture Vaporator, or I would have looked quite silly.:o

Anyways, Yavin Luke would have been my pick of this wave if Concept Boba wasn't so awesome.

Tycho
12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm glad I didn't make any comments about him coming with a Moisture Vaporator, or I would have looked quite silly.:o

Yeah, Luke Yavin comes with terminal cancer.

Phil Collins comes with the Moisture Vaporator.

obi-dad
12-06-2007, 05:23 PM
McFett... hands down. I can't even believe the voting is as close as it is. But I do think DS Trooper & Yavin Luke are great figures.

Desfiy
12-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm the only one who voted for the Han Solo, but I like the fig. It's very detailed and I've been wanting this fig and luke for some time now. The Falcon Gunner fig was just terrible. I like the concept Fett, but EU stuff is easily discarded by me.

My order of faves would be
1. Han Solo Gunner
2. Luke Skywalker Yavin
3. Mcquarrie Boba Fett
4. Biggs Darklighter
5. Death Star Trooper
6. Rebel Honor Guard (couldn't they have made this one without spread legs and a trigger finger pose)

Actually the Han Solo is a good figure, the only problem with it is that has the headset molded to his head, if it was removable I would have voted him number 1 followed closely by Concept Boba Fett.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Fett by a mile. He's the only figure who didn't suck in this wave. Both the Han and Luke were vastly inferior to the ones from a full ten years ago.

obi-dad
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I guess I haven't checked enough forums or no one else cares enough to post if they agree with me, but does anyone think the helmet for the DST is just a little too big? I love the figure and bought multiples, but the helmet always bugs me.

Desfiy
12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I dont actually believe I am going to discus the size of someones helmet, but oh well here it goes.

The DST has the right size helmet for A New Hope. He doesnt have the right size helmet for ESB or ROTJ.

obi-dad
12-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I dont actually believe I am going to discus the size of someones helmet, but oh well here it goes.

The DST has the right size helmet for A New Hope. He doesnt have the right size helmet for ESB or ROTJ.

lol as filthy as my mind is, I am embarassed that I didn't take my question that way! lol

JediTricks
12-10-2007, 11:16 PM
You guys are sick. :D What bugs me is how low its sits on his head, looks like he's hiding from the cops or something.

Gee, I wonder who won this poll. :p

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 01:57 AM
It was, overall, the worst wave in a long time. Given the average quality of figures at any time, I'd say it may be the worst wave ever. McBoba is kinda an odd duck who got lumped in because they were sticking one McQuarrie figure in each wave.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-11-2007, 02:42 AM
It was, overall, the worst wave in a long time. Given the average quality of figures at any time, I'd say it may be the worst wave ever. McBoba is kinda an odd duck who got lumped in because they were sticking one McQuarrie figure in each wave.

Even worse than old POTF2 figures? Or are you talking about the choices within the wave? I look at my old potf2 figures and I want to take a dump in a department store ;)

obi-dad
12-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Even worse than old POTF2 figures? Or are you talking about the choices within the wave? I look at my old potf2 figures and I want to take a dump in a department store ;)

I think he's talking about compared to the figures during the same era. POTF2 figures suck now because there are better sculpts now.... well, actually, they sucked then too, but we bought them anyway. But, I totally have to disagree with Chuxter. I think Yavin Luke is much better than the previous version and although the helmet still bugs me (I'll have to watch ANH again) DST was a much needed resculpt. At least I bought every figure in this wave, which is a lot more than I can say about the others.

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
The only drawback in the original DST is that he's permanently running.

The only drawback in the new one is that he was found in a compromising position with a goat.

Yeah, DNA, I meant that, if you compare the overall quality at any time, this wave may be the worst. There were some bad POTF2 waves (notably the first few), but it wasn't like the figures outside those waves rocked; they sucked just as bad.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
The only drawback in the original DST is that he's permanently running.

The only drawback in the new one is that he was found in a compromising position with a goat.

Yeah, DNA, I meant that, if you compare the overall quality at any time, this wave may be the worst. There were some bad POTF2 waves (notably the first few), but it wasn't like the figures outside those waves rocked; they sucked just as bad.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. :lipsrsealed: For me, I think (and I know we aren't there yet) wave 8 is the worst for choices AND for how decent the figures were made. Padme looks HORRIBLE!

bigbarada
12-11-2007, 02:46 PM
I was excited about this wave, when it was supposed to be the last wave of Saga 2. But compared to the whole picture of TAC, this wave is really boring. Most likely because it's comprised of all human males. No female figures, no droids, no aliens.

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Padme looks HORRIBLE!

No, she doesn't.

That figure is the best likeness of Christopher Lambert ever produced!

Ji'dai
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Darn, the poll closed before I got around to vote. My choice for the best of wave 2 is McQuarrie Fett.

I only bought three figures from this wave: Rebel Honor Guard, Pilot Biggs, and McQuarrie Fett. In fact, the Honor Guard and Fett were the first figures from TAC that I bought, back on April 19. I didn't decide to get Biggs until October 3; and by that time he'd been re-released on a UGH card.