PDA

View Full Version : while we're at it, "Snowspeeder" is probably a misnomer, too.

2-1B
12-03-2007, 09:09 PM
I was thinking of the whole clonetrooper/stormtrooper thing and I realized Kenner got goofy with the term "snowspeeder" as well...they never called it that in the movie, they just called it a "speeder." On top of that, they were having trouble adapting them to the cold. Well, if it's called a SNOWspeeder :D , wouldn't they traditionally be adapted to cold? lol lol lol

I'm sure there's some EU out there that uses these vehicles in non-snow environments. Probably even some EU where the CPU of IG-88's "brain" is used to jury rig a Snowspeeder.

decadentdave
12-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Or how about a Skyhopper which was only referred to onscreen as a T-16?

JON9000
12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I thought based on the toy box that it is a speeder modified with heavy armor and adapted for cold weather. "Snowspeeder" might have simply been a bit of marketing for the toy.

Slicker
12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm sure there's some EU out there that uses these vehicles in non-snow environments. You've got it! I think the Decipher cards had a sandspeeder. They name them after the environment they're in apparently.

decadentdave
12-03-2007, 10:00 PM
They never refer to the AT-AT as an AT-AT onscreen or a Snow Walker. They just call them "Imperial Walkers" like Probot is only referred to as an "Imperial Probe Droid." :D

Exhaust Port
12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I always took it to mean it was fighter configured for snow fighting. No different than modern Night Fighters. The aircraft are essentially no different than their day fighter counterparts they just have a few extras better suited to their primary role.

decadentdave
12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Kinda like a Stealth AT-AT is a Night Walker? lol

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 01:40 AM
You forget, they're also referred to as the T-47.

Supposedly, snowspeeders not only aren't made for snow, they don't even have those blasters.

bigbarada
12-05-2007, 06:40 PM
The earliest designs for the snowspeeders depicted them as simply modified Y-Wing cockpits.

2-1B
12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
You forget, they're also referred to as the T-47.

Good call, JT !

And it was 2-1B who said it, to boot. :grin:

decadentdave
12-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Which makes no sense at all because 2-1b says "It will take quite awhile to evacuate the T-47's" and Luke's response is "Well forget the heavier transports..." thereby implying that the T-47's are NOT speeders.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
The speeders are used in a non-snow setting in the Rogue Squadron game.

JediTricks
12-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Which makes no sense at all because 2-1b says "It will take quite awhile to evacuate the T-47's" and Luke's response is "Well forget the heavier transports..." thereby implying that the T-47's are NOT speeders.
Actually, the exchange is:

MEDICAL DROID: Sir, it will take quite awhile to evacuate the T-forty-
sevens.

LUKE: Well, forget the heavy equipment....

I don't think that's contradictory at all.

decadentdave
12-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Actually, the exchange is:

MEDICAL DROID: Sir, it will take quite awhile to evacuate the T-forty-
sevens.

LUKE: Well, forget the heavy equipment....

I don't think that's contradictory at all.

Allow me to finish it then:

"...there's still plenty of time to get the smaller modules onto the transports."

"Take care, sir."

"Thanks."

Why would it take quite awhile to evacuate the T-47's when they are leading the assault on the AT-ATs'? They launch out of the Echo-Base hangar to defend the base WHILE it is being evacuated. They are the cover for the evacuees. After the retreat we see a few transports remaining to evacuate the pilots and soldiers who were defending the base.

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 02:40 AM
They're not using them all, just a small handful meant to distract the Empire while the bulk of the Rebellion escapes. They only have enough time to load up small equipment, they're going to have to write off the larger stuff. I don't see the confusion here, they have limited resources and don't expect to put up a real fight against the Imps, just enough to occupy the enemy while the rest of their guys get away.

darthvyn
12-11-2007, 01:33 PM
hrm... i never connected the "t-47" to the snow/speeder. i always thought it was some kind of medical equipment, since he's a medical droid. why the hell would the deuce be concerned with the speeders?

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 01:10 AM
We're stepping into the middle of their conversation, maybe it just naturally arrived there. Perhaps 2-1B is taking orders from the commander who is too busy to give them in person and is giving him feedback.