PDA

View Full Version : Watching Star Wars at home

stillakid
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
This is in the TV section because it's about watching Star Wars movies ON your TV and what it's like.

For the longest time, most of us had the standard 2:3 NTSC television to watch VHS or DVDs on. Likely, the screen sizes for most people ranged from 20 inches to around 35 inches.

But now, with HD taking hold, we're able to watch the movies at home in the aspect ratio the movies were shot in with larger and better quality screens.

Earlier this year, my 32" Sony Vivitron finally conked out so I replaced it with a 46" Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD. Of course the picture is incredible, but I began noticing details that had escaped me before.

Specifically, I remember the first time I watched A New Hope (DVD) on the new television. The scene that really startled me was Luke's discovery of his smoking homestead. For years, in order to see the smoking skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, I had to strain to see anything more than blurs and smoke. But now, with this new large screen at a relatively close distance, the gruesomeness of the tragedy becomes even more clear. It's difficult to remember seeing this scene in movie theaters, but I don't recall even seeing that level of detail then. Movie screens are large, but so is the distance our eyes are from it. With an HD television roughly ten to twelve feet away, even the smallest items become sharp.

So, is there anything new that you've seen or something old that you've rediscovered while you've watched Star Wars movies on your TV at home?

2-1B
12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
2-1B working on that Tauntaun in the background of the Hoth base. With widescreen DVD and a widescreen TV I find stuff like that to be much more noticeable. I love those little details.

Jayspawn
12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I watch the Trilogy on my "47 Vizio! It rocks EVERY time!

bobafrett
12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I was watching Star Wars ANH while putting up my Christmas tree the other day, but seeing as I have only a small screen tv, I really didn't notice to much. I hope I'll be able to afford the newer tech stuff, but until then I will contiue to watch on my 12 inch black and white television.

Neuroleptic
12-05-2007, 03:39 PM
The TIE Bomber in the docking bay in Return of the Jedi. Its visibile in several shots of the docking bay when Darth Vader lands. I thought that was preaty cool. Don't know why I never noticed it before.

JON9000
12-05-2007, 07:26 PM
For the longest time, most of us had the standard 2:3 NTSC television to watch VHS or DVDs on. Likely, the screen sizes for most people ranged from 20 inches to around 35 inches.

Of all people I cannot believe that a dude in your position has held out so long! Congratulations, watching Star Wars on a widescreen HD television with a nice upconverting dvd player and some HDMI cables is nothing short of a revelation.

for me, it was the colors. But then, I have a plasma. You are going to have a good time watching your old faves. It's like watching them for the first time!

What's really fun is watching Goldfinger and seeing Sean Connery's make-up laden acne!

stillakid
12-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Of all people I cannot believe that a dude in your position has held out so long! Congratulations, watching Star Wars on a widescreen HD television with a nice upconverting dvd player and some HDMI cables is nothing short of a revelation.

I don't really watch a lot of TV or even go to the theater very often. Mainly because I just don't often have time. When someone is working on a movie, it's generally five or six day weeks, minimum of thirteen hours a day at work plus commute time. Doesn't leave much time for anything else.