PDA

View Full Version : "Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-05-2007, 09:37 AM
The trailer is up. http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=1355&dl=14478175

I thought the first film was garbage, but I know some of you folks here enjoyed it, so I figured i'd pass along the trailer. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
12-05-2007, 08:58 PM
My brother sent me the link earlier....I liked the first one....I need to re-read it all, haven't read it since I was a kid, but I picked up the 4 disc release this past year or so, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Kidhuman
12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Looks real good. Cant wait for this and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

2-1B
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
I think it looks interesting, I didn't see the first one in the theater and thought it was okay on DVD...I might see this one on the big screen.

Will Mr. Tumnus be in it ? :D

Kidhuman
12-05-2007, 09:57 PM
No Tumnus for you

General_Grievous
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I liked the first one a lot. I'll definitely be checking this one out, but on the overall list of movies I'm looking forward to in '08, this falls behind "The Dark Knight", "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and "Iron Man".

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Wow.

I'm speechless.

But annoyed that Reepicheek isn't in the trailer. He's the bestest. Tumnus may have been dead for a millennia, but Reepy is a million times cooler.

scruffziller
12-08-2007, 03:21 PM
AWESOME!!!! It looks like just how the book goes too. Just like the previous movie. It has a more mature, loathing aura around it. Analogous to ESB and LOTR:TTT. Granted, the first one was no LOTR and even though I enjoyed it thoroughly, I yearned for more of a movie like what Prince Caspian will be.

Beast
12-08-2007, 05:45 PM
And even better, looks like Narnia actually going to get a decent toyline this time.

http://www.playalongtoys.com/narnia/sneakPrev.aspx

They have a preview up of one of the figures in the line, Asterius the Minotaur. :D

Looks like Big Bad Toy Store scooped Play Along Toys out of their big reveals.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=576&category=4276

figrin bran
12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I thought the Narnia figures that the Disney Store put out were pretty good. Anyhow, that Asterius looks pretty good as does the trailer for the movie itself.

bigbarada
12-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Awesome, thanks! :thumbsup:

I've read all of the Narnia books, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank on what Prince Caspian is about. Looks great though.

figrin bran
03-09-2008, 01:45 AM
PlayAlong's figure line is out in stores already as I saw them at two different TRU locations today.

For now I only bought the Aslan/Lucy/stone tablet set. Unfortunately, it looks like most, if not all of the figures have action gimmicks. Lucy has a lever on her back that moves one of her arms. However, she also has 08 Obi-Wan/Anakin style hip articulation that allows her to ride upon Aslan.

General_Grievous
05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
So I rewatched the first film again tonight. Got me pretty excited to see "Prince Caspian" on Friday. Here's a sneak preview of the movie, a scene featuring Caspian and Reepicheep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vROoHve-iU&NR=1
I'm digging what they did with Reepicheep. He seems like a good substitute for the beavers from "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe".

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-14-2008, 09:02 PM
So I rewatched the first film again tonight. Got me pretty excited to see "Prince Caspian" on Friday. Here's a sneak preview of the movie, a scene featuring Caspian and Reepicheep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vROoHve-iU&NR=1
I'm digging what they did with Reepicheep. He seems like a good substitute for the beavers from "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe".

Is that the mouse thign at the end? Kudos to Eddie Izzard for providing the voice. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Reepy!!!

That's all I can say.

Reepy kicks all sorts of arse. That's a really fine intro scene for him, too.

bigbarada
05-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Reepicheep was always one of my favorite characters as a kid. I think I even named a pet gerbil after him once. It's awesome that the movie appears to be treating him with the same level of dignity as the books.

General_Grievous
05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Just got back from seeing it. I was surprised at how much I liked this movie. "Prince Caspian" is one of three Narnia books that I've read, along with "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" and "The Magician's Nephew". I have to say, from what I remembered about the book, it was pretty faithful. The acting was pretty solid from the Pevensie kids and from the dwarves (I think Warwick Davis played one of them). The CGI was greatly improved from the first film, especially with Reepicheep, who stole the movie at points even though he didn't have an awful lot of screentime. The villain, King Miraz, wasn't as memorable as the White Witch was, but he had some cool armor, which made up for it. The battle scenes were much better this time around, too. Sort of like "Lord of the Rings" light, since it was a PG movie.

And I'd even say to those who are unsure about this movie that if you liked the first one, you're probably going to like this one as well.

And as far as summer movies go, I didn't enjoy it as much as "Iron Man", but it's better than many of the movies that came out last summer.

Beast
05-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Agreed. I think it was much better than the first one all around.

And yes, Reepicheep kicked all sorts of butt. :D

bigbarada
05-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I just watched it this evening, really good movie. Took some time to get started at the beginning because there was so much new stuff to set up, but it was well worth it in the end.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOLLOW!

I loved how the movie actually started in Narnia instead of trying to reestablish it in the same way. The audience should already be aware that Narnia exists, assuming they've seen the first movie, so no need to waste screen time trying to reintroduce Narnia to those who might have skipped the first film.

Overall, I think the performances were much better all around and the story is definitely a lot darker. The battle were very LOTR-esque, but you can really see that CG technology has come a long way in the last 5 years.

My favorite part of the film? REEPICHEEP! He stole the movie in every scene he was in and he wasn't in the movie nearly enough. They did a great job of developing him as a brutal, yet incredibly cute, little warrior. Just don't call him "cute" to his face or he'll slit your throat.:D

Hopefully, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is next because Reepicheep has a much bigger role in that story.

Kidhuman
05-17-2008, 06:36 AM
I havent seen the movie yet, but I dont remember the huge water dude in the books(he is on all the commercials). Is it me or is he an addiition to the movie?

And I hope VOTDT is next

General_Grievous
05-17-2008, 12:27 PM
"Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is indeed next, and it's slated for May 2010.

2-1B
05-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Oooooooookay, so this Reepicheep fella...he's the mouse guy?
The mouse who sounds like Eddie Izzard and runs as fast as Teek?
Hmm.

I like that skunk guy better.

Beast
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM
He's a Badger. :)

bigbarada
05-17-2008, 02:49 PM
"You'd think people would know a badger when they see one.":D

His name is Trufflehunter.

jonthejedi
05-19-2008, 05:40 AM
My family & I saw it yesterday, and yes...loved it. Even better than Narnia I. From what I read, they are making the movies in the published order, not the chronological order. The mouse stole the film, the action hardly let up once it started(loved the minotaur at the castle raid), Susan finally got to kick some butt ala Legolas, and the battle scenes & final duel were amazing. Two for two following Ironman. Hope Indy IV delivers as well.

Kidhuman
05-24-2008, 12:47 PM
I saw this movie last night and loved it. I thouht it out did the first one by a mile. I didnt mind that it deviated from the book alot because the book was kind of boring(in comparison with action and stuff). Reepicheep was great and lived up to every expectation I had from the books on him. I liked the "darker" side of the movie comparing it to the first. I will without a doubt attempt to get the action figures for this movie.

Snowtrooper
05-24-2008, 06:45 PM
My daughter and I really enjoyed the first one. We even liked it more than LOTR, so this sounds like a must see for us.

Banthaholic
06-08-2008, 11:39 AM
We saw it yesterday, and like others have noted it was enjoyable. Not sure if it was better than the first yet, but will get it on DVD when it comes out. It was inded a more darker film and I enjoyed seeing the White Witch again and seeing Edmund get his redemption of sorts. All in all I can't wait till # 3, err movie wise anyway...

Snowtrooper
06-08-2008, 01:26 PM
My daughter and I got to see this last friday. We both liked it really well, even as much as the first, although I didn't feel like there was as much suspense as in the first one. I liked seeing the White Witch again too.

The water creature at the river was an awesome effect, one of the best ever, IMO. It didn't seem cartoony like alot of CGI effects do.

I've never read the whole series. How many books are there and how many do they plan on making?

El Chuxter
06-08-2008, 03:02 PM
There's seven books. What order depends on whether you go by publication date or chronological order. They'll probably eliminate A Horse and His Boy, as it's pretty tangential to the story of the Pevensie kids. (And, compared to the rest, it's not that good.) The Magician's Nephew was sixth by publication date, but first chronologically, and not a lot happens; I assume it can be dealt with in flashbacks later on. (The new revelations about Narnia and who'd visited it prior to the Pevensies aren't really important until the last book.)

bigbarada
06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
In order of publication, the books go:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle

In chronological order, the books go:

1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

Personally, I prefer to read them in the order that they were published, because Magician's Nephew isn't really the strongest story to start the series off with.

Jek Porky 2002
07-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I finally got round to seeing it late last week and was not disappointed!! I have to ask though, why do all the telmarines talk with a Spanish accent? Was there anything in the book about them speaking with an accent or is it just something artistic that the director has brought to the film version?

Kidhuman
07-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I dont know wy they did, but I just figured because they were from the other side of the Country, they had accents.

Jek Porky 2002
07-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Well whatever the reason I thought it worked really well. Don't want people thinking that I'm complaining.

I have just been reading the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, nearly at the end but I just can't see how this would work on the screen. It doesn't seem to have a middle or an end, it just kind of keeps stopping and starting as they travel from island to island, anyone have any thoughts...?

Kidhuman
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I cant wait to see it on screen. I have looking forward to is one since TLTWATW

bigbarada
07-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Dawn Treader is my favorite of all the books, I'm looking forward to it more than anything else. I think as long as it keeps the same spirit of exploration and adventure from the book, then it should be an awesome film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Bad news for you Narnia fans as Disney has pulled out of making the third flick: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Head here to read about it: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51523

bigbarada
12-26-2008, 02:08 AM
That stinks.:(

bigbarada
12-26-2008, 02:25 PM
To be honest, though, this doesn't really surprise me. I've read all the books multiple times and Prince Caspian was always the least memorable of the series. Plus, I don't know what they were thinking releasing it in the summer up against Indiana Jones, Batman and Iron Man (although, to be fair, I don't think anyone thought Iron Man would be as successful as it was). This film would have done much better as a Christmas release.

Beast
12-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, they should have saved it for Christmas.

Especially when there was no big Family release for the Holidays this year.

Since Fox has the option, I'm betting they'll probably pick it up.

El Chuxter
12-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Why start producing a 7-book series as films if you don't plan to go all the way? Moronic.

Kidhuman
12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
They better make this one, I was so looking forward to it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

pbarnard
12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
To be honest, though, this doesn't really surprise me. I've read all the books multiple times and Prince Caspian was always the least memorable of the series. Plus, I don't know what they were thinking releasing it in the summer up against Indiana Jones, Batman and Iron Man (although, to be fair, I don't think anyone thought Iron Man would be as successful as it was). This film would have done much better as a Christmas release.

Plus they've also had more than a year between releases. When Prince Caspian wasn't out within 18 months of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, I knew there were problems.

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Fox is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Los Angeles (E! Online) – The Fox hath saved the Lion.

Weeks after Disney decided not to bankroll another sequel in The Chronicles of Narnia series due to spiraling costs, 20th Century Fox has swooped in and rescued the big-screen franchise from almost certain doom by agreeing to team up with Walden Media to cofinance, market and distribute the next installment, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

According to Variety, Fox had first dibs on Dawn Treader because it already markets and distributes Walden movies under its Fox Walden label.

Walden, which owns the rights to the seminal C.S. Lewis fantasy novels, needed a new partner after the Mouse House pulled out, citing "budgetary and logistical reasons."

The move came after the second in the series, Prince Caspian, took in $141 million domestically and $278 million worldwide. That was a far cry from the franshice launching The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, which grossed $292 million in North America and a whopping $453 million overseas.

Despite the diminishing returns, 20th Century Fox thinks it can do better. The studio sees Narnia kid-friendly franchise to compete with Warner Bros.' Harry Potter juggernaut.

With Fox coming aboard Dawn Treader, the good news is that all principal above-the-line talent will remain in place, including director Michael Apted and stars Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley as Caspian, Edmund and Lucy, respectively.

Filming on the sequel, which was supposed to get rolling this summer on the Fox-owned lot in Rosarito, Mexico, where Titanic was filmed, will now move to Fox's studio complex in Australia following a spate of drug-related kidnappings and killings in the Baja region.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is aiming to sail into theaters during the 2010 holiday season.

pbarnard
02-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Well maybe there might be hope.