PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite 3 3/4 figure to date, see thread for criteria

jedi master sal
02-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Okay first this is only for POTJ.

1)AGAIN only POTJ figs.
2)This is NOT about the card, only the figure.
3)NOT about accessories either.
4)Not just about sculpt. (I like some even though their scuplt isn't as good as
some others.
5)ONLY ONE.
6)No lists of figs please.
7)Give your reasons as to why you like this SPECIFIC figure the best.
ie: paint job, articulation, sculpt, uniqueness, scale accuracy, etc....
8)Only give your answer based on figures you currently own, not ones you plan on getting or have on order.
9)You can however elude to a figure you most desire that is currently in production but that you do not have. (Again, no lists)
10)Can be a deluxe fig

Okay, now that I have that fairly well taken care of..... My pick is:
FX-7

Great detail and articulation is out of this world. Finall someone to go with 21B and looks great with Deluxe Luke w/bacta tank. Okay, I'm sure you have your favs...let's here them.

Rollo Tomassi
02-11-2002, 09:52 AM
FX-7 was good, but my choice is...

MECHANIC CHEWBACCA.

The detailing was excellent and it's the first time the wookster was TO SCALE with the other figures! I've got 3-PO in a net on his back and an Imperial blaster in his hairy paws. It's the coolest figure in th POTJ line up.

Wolfwood319
02-11-2002, 10:07 AM
My fave is Amanaman.

I've wanted an Amanaman since my dog took a chunk out of my original one. Great sculpt, accurate scale, and just plain cool.

jedi master sal
02-11-2002, 10:09 AM
I'll agree with the both of you. This was a hard choice for me. I loved MC chewie because of the scale and Amanaman because of the detail, but I did say only one.

dr_evazan22
02-11-2002, 10:25 AM
This is a really tough choice, but to narrow it down to one figure I'm going to say... the Sandtrooper!
He's got an improved sculpt over the POTF2, in that he doesn't look like He-Man, he has a fantastic paint job, the arm articulation is great, and I love the accessories.

Darkross
02-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
This is a really tough choice, but to narrow it down to one figure I'm going to say... the Sandtrooper!
He's got an improved sculpt over the POTF2, in that he doesn't look like He-Man, he has a fantastic paint job, the arm articulation is great, and I love the accessories.

FX-7 gets my vote. I love the detail and all of the arms on this guy. Chewbacca Mechanic...looks funny. I'm not sure if I agree with the scale of him with the others...especially with Bespin Leia. I still think that Chewbacca - Boushh's Bounty is the best Chewbacca to date!

InsaneJediGirl
02-11-2002, 12:37 PM
My vote would have to be for :
Luke Skywalker w/ Bacta Tank.

Why?Because even though Luke can't really move,he wasnt
meant to and the detail is rather nice.I've always wanted
a Bacta Tank and it has lived up to my expectations.

mark2d2
02-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Hate to be boring and predictable, but . . .

FX-7

Everything about this figure is flat-out flawless. Hasbro was ridiculously precise in the copying even the tiniest of details. It looks exactly like the prop in my visual dictionary. The paint job is beyond precise, even down to the occasional red detailing on some of the arms. And those arms! Never again will we see such articulation. (Seriously what other figure could even require so much?) Truly mind boggling. What could be improved? He even comes with the best accessory -- granted it costs extra, but Luke Bacta Tank is clearly the companion piece for FX-7, not the other way around . . .

Darkross
02-12-2002, 07:28 AM
I have to reiterate my choice for FX-7. He has the most articulation in the history of the POTJ line.

Amanamike
02-12-2002, 11:40 PM
FX7 is one hell of a nice figure, but my favorite is still Admiral Motti, he looks good

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 04:18 PM
Admiral Motti is a POTF2 figure not a POTJ figure.

My favorite would have to be Plo-Koon. I love the detail, plus he is just a cool looking figure.

sith_killer_99
02-15-2002, 08:53 PM
I still have to stick with Dagobah Vader Spirit.

A unique figure with a cool feature...DECAPITATION. Plus the removable faceplate that reveals Luke's face. The semi-translucent black plastic just adds to the coolness of this figure.:cool:

Detailed sculpt, accurate size and proportion, highly detailed lightsaber, 3 points of articulation in each arm. WOW

Don't get me wrong, FX-7 and Amanaman are great figure that we have eagerly awaited. But they are re-sculpts from the vintage line. Dagobah Vader is completly new and original.:D

Rollo Tomassi
02-16-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Admiral Motti is a POTF2 figure not a POTJ figure.

My favorite would have to be Plo-Koon. I love the detail, plus he is just a cool looking figure.

Did you cut open Plo Koon's robe LIKE EVERY COLLECTOR SHOULD?!?! Him and Saesee Tiin both!!! Open those robes people!!!

Paid for by the People for the opening of Jedi robes Campaign

Battle Droid
02-16-2002, 12:12 AM
Security Battle Droid

Why? For one they're my fav. Droid of any SW's film, it was the first BD figure to have a perfect sculp, I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

JEDIpartner
02-16-2002, 11:29 AM
I know most of you out there hate the whole EU thing, but I really believe this was a fantastic figure. The detailing on it was awesome and, in spite of the missing padawan braid, the head sculpt was one of the most "Ewan"-like of all previous and subsequent Obi-Wan figures before AOTC was released.

Sidiously Darth
02-16-2002, 11:47 AM
Did you cut open Plo Koon's robe LIKE EVERY COLLECTOR SHOULD?!?! Him and Saesee Tiin both!!! Open those robes people!!!

Now we've got jedi running around flashing the other toys.:D Rollo, you're figures are going to get arrested.

My fav. POTJ fig is..........Actually, I don't have one. I like them all for different reasons.:)

mabudonicus
02-16-2002, 12:29 PM
Then I'll have to say tie for 1st- Jek porkins and Old Ben. Porkins totally rules- I liked biggs, but jek is just THAT much better- the detali's so crisp, and his face looks like a real guy, not som disney-esque "every-white-hero" kind of face. Old ben is great just because he is the only figure of ben that doesn't have 6 or 7 extra joints between his feet and his waist (which would have been okay for a Ditko character, not so good when representing an actual person)
I might have said fx7, but I haven't even seen him anywheres yet

Deoxyribonucleic
02-16-2002, 12:45 PM
AMANAMAN

first, because the original was so elusive and although very cool, just a tad too plastic looking - so that goes to the new one having a wonderful sculp, very accurate to the character in the movie plus he comes with skeletons and if you get two of the deluxe Amanamans, you can repaint the skeletons and pretend they are uncle owen and aunt beru and make a cool cool diarama
hehe

Second and last, he's just a great character to be thought up! I mean darn somebody had a great imagination!!!!!

Deoxyribonucleic
02-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

Hey Rollo, couldya tell me the best way to do it? Sounds like there's some good treasures (details) underneath? No my mind is not in the gutter! :eek:

And Jedi Sal...sorry to post this here but I have to know how to cut open those robes! :)

jedi-cpa
03-05-2002, 12:44 PM
AWESOME FIG!!!

hairless chewie
03-05-2002, 01:30 PM
Boss Nass is the best IMHO. Not the most detail of the whole line but probably the most accurate. He's big like he should be with that big @#!% eating grin!:D

fourtwo
03-05-2002, 02:51 PM
i liked 300th fett alot. it was a really neat pose and probably one of the better done figs i've seen, although i haven't had all the figs so i can't say for sure.

the ones i haven't seen that i think are great are fx-7, dejarik chewie, and that new ewok, tee-bo i tihnk.

amanaman and luke bacta didn't really seem to fit in to this as they;re deluxe figs, not POTJ, but for the record i love them both, they;re the only 2 deluxe figs i've picked up.

evenflow
03-05-2002, 04:38 PM
If I can only pick one, then it is really tough.

As a whole, with everything included with the figure I have to go with Luke w/ Bacta Tank.

Amanaman and Mechanic Chewie are right there with it though. :)

Dar' Argol
03-05-2002, 06:28 PM
I would have to say my favorite is Qui-Gon Jinn in Jedi training Gear. Its not the best sculp of Liam but its so nice to see a Jedi in something other then beige and brown flowing robes! The costume is a great look and I think it would have looked good in the movie IF they could have done it in a way that fit into the movie.

Dryanta
03-05-2002, 07:29 PM
Dagobah Vader.Just an awesome figure.I still can't get over how well the mask fits on over a very well sculpted Luke face.
Mech Chewie is a very close second for likeness and scale(also he's is my favorite Character):D

Turbowars
03-05-2002, 09:59 PM
Man, I can't just name one, so I wont! K-3PO- great paint job and detail, That white paint sure makes him stand out and I love the blue splatter on his chest. I also like..... Ok I'll play by the rules :crazed:

Lord Tenebrous
03-05-2002, 10:38 PM
I've had the most fun with Plo Koon, having been on several customizing rounds. I only have pictures of Plo, so first...

Saesee Tiin is easily cut along the groove of his robes. Inside you have the bottom of his robe and a belt the same color as his first vest. The belt have a red line and a gold buckle. The legs and bottom of the robes are one piece, divided in two for articulation. The pieces on mine don't line up evenly.

Plo's robes are also a cut along the groove. Plo has simple greenish-brown pants and a simple belt of the same color. With a little work, you can get his shirt and arms the same color. It's kind of drab, so I painted him black and added a cloth piece to his robe. It fell apart on me (too much glue/paint), so I'm going to try again.

Lord Tenebrous
03-05-2002, 10:39 PM
And the back side...

Rollo Tomassi
03-06-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

Hey Rollo, couldya tell me the best way to do it? Sounds like there's some good treasures (details) underneath? No my mind is not in the gutter! :eek:

And Jedi Sal...sorry to post this here but I have to know how to cut open those robes! :)

As Lord Tenebrous pointed out above, cut along the crease of their robes. I used a sharpie/exacto knife and a steady hand. Saesee's robe is a little thicker and the crease is a little odd, so be careful. Plo's was a straight and relatively simple cut. At first I was horrified at the idea of molesting my figures, but after I did it, I don't know how I could have gone with them wearing their robes shut.

I also want to give a shout out to Old Ben as runner up coolest POTJ figure. I put the soft goods cloak from the Episode 1 Tatooine accesory pack on him and he is the coolest Ben Kenobi figure to date.

Darkross
03-06-2002, 06:26 AM
If you want to see total customizing techniques for 3 3/4" figures...check out the diorama section on:

www.niubniubsuniverse.com.

This guy cuts the legs off of figures to get them to sit in a chair. He then uses super sculpey to mold a new robe and mold the legs into sitting positions. Best diorama site I've ever seen. This guy is really, really talented.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-06-2002, 03:19 PM

As Lord Tenebrous pointed out above, cut along the crease of their robes. I used a sharpie/exacto knife and a steady hand. Saesee's robe is a little thicker and the crease is a little odd, so be careful. Plo's was a straight and relatively simple cut. At first I was horrified at the idea of molesting my figures, but after I did it, I don't know how I could have gone with them wearing their robes shut.

Thanks so much Rollo, I really appreciate it. Like you, I am appalled at altering my figures but those Jedi Masters look so much better and more fun if you can take their robes off that I'm going to do it! I'll use my scalpal(sp?) that my nurse friend gave to me, it also comes in handy for opening carded figures very nicely so that you can put them back in and still display them like they are unopened. It's eerily sharp! Everyone should invest in a scalpal! They are magical lil tools for us figure nuts!

Thanks Again :)

bigbarada
03-08-2002, 03:09 PM
Getting back to the topic of best POTJ figure:

Mechanic Chewie! Finally a correctly scaled version (for you doubters out there, just look at any photo of Carrie Fisher standing next to Chewbacca to see that she IS tiny compared to him) and the best sculpt yet for the big Wookie.

Like Rollo, I too display him with Threepio on his back and one of the Imperial Officer blasters in his huge paws. I guess great minds do think alike.

I know that there are other choices out there for best figure; but I remember all those days of being disgusted with the vintage version as a kid and wondering why Kenner would never resculpt him. When I saw Mechanic Chewie I nearly jumped for joy when I saw how perfect he was.

iguanabytes
03-10-2002, 02:15 PM
I did cut Plo Koons robe, but Saesee Tiin... they did that old split-molded tunic thing that looks wrong. I would need to give him a new lower torso( which is in the works). My vote is for FX-7, too

SithDroid
03-10-2002, 03:02 PM

No I haven't opened his robe. Plus I must also say that since I recently found FX-7 that he would have to tie as my favorite. He is just too cool with all those arms that move and also fold down.

humsup
03-11-2002, 08:59 PM
After all the recent releases, I still maintain my favourite fig till date is POTJ's Jek Porkins. It'll be perfect if he can come with a blaster or something :D

haggis
03-11-2002, 11:45 PM
My fave: "Pimp Daddy" Lando.
Cloth cape...nuff said. A certain Vintage charm.

Dishonorable mention: His somewhat floppy blaster