PDA

View Full Version : ANH Han Solo....

jedibear
12-07-2007, 01:55 AM
A great last announcement for this anniversary year!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=4067&source=120607news

decadentdave
12-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Would look better if they repainted his eyes a darker hazel and his hair should be a lighter shade of brown. The preview picture makes him look like John Travolta.

plasticfetish
12-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Great... but sucks that I'll be at work when they go on sale. :(

I'm still a little gun-shy from the last Han though, so maybe I'll wait to see this one in person before I decide.

Would look better if they repainted his eyes a darker hazel and his hair should be a lighter shade of brown. The preview picture makes him look like John Travolta.Yeah, I can see a little Barbarino in there. But who knows what the final version will end up looking like.

AmanaMatt
12-07-2007, 08:08 AM
The likeness is a little off, which is a real concern. This is the ultimate Han for me...

sergiurusu
12-07-2007, 11:22 AM
He looks ok imho. Not the best but ok

Deoxyribonucleic
12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
A great last announcement for this anniversary year!

Agreed. Plus, now we have a player for the Dejarik chess table :thumbsup:

jedibear
12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Don't forget how often we've seen proto pics that vary from production...yes, the eyes are too light and the hair too dark (but knowing the SS track record on hair color, it may stay that way) but one PPO pic is not enough to really judge him on...really looking forward to the whole collection of shots that arrive at PPO time....

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 12:55 AM
The Luke Bespin proto was way inferior to the production version, so I'm hoping this is more of the same.

That said, I think the paint is ruining this prototype and needs to be seriously addressed. The eyes are off in size or something, the lipstick isn't helping, and the face being shadowed only in the middle makes the sides look very flat and fat.

That said, I think this sculpt is way closer than Bespin Han's was, that was a chipmunk-cheeked mess and this is nearly there, just a fat lip and a chin that's not quite locked down. Also, I think this sculpt will work better from ANY other angle than the one chosen for this shot.

jedibear
12-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I have to agree here...the paintjob and photography on this proto are NOT showing this figure in the best light (literally)...that's why I'm anxiously awaiting the ones we get on PPO day...

I'm more concerned about the outfit...hoping it's not another too-snug fitting affair, and the shirt looks like it needs some work...needs to be off-white and open more at the neck. We'll see...

Jayspawn
12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Nice but I'm a little weary after the Bespin Han too. The likeness on the ANH sculpt IS off. If the final looks better I'll get one because this is the definative Han for me.

Jayspawn
12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Note: I didnt get the Dejarik table because nobody would be able to play it. I suppose Luke, Obi-Wan and Leia could.

Jaff
12-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I was a little dissappointed in this announcement. After Commander Prajji, and now Han I'm looking for something less bland. Where's Chewie, Nute Gunray, and all the other interesting sculpts. This Han could have been released later IMO.

jedibear
12-11-2007, 11:44 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/

Well, have a look at the unpainted sculpt over at Sideshow's Production blog...

I think it's safe to say Trevor nailed it....now here's hoping that the paint apps match the quality of the sculpt....

decadentdave
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Yes the sculpt is much better than the preview pics but I still don't think he quite nailed it. I think he overdid it a bit on the hair, especially the wings on the sides. Needs to be a little closer cropped. Paint will make or break this figure. It's a shame they can't ramp up their factory paints to deliver the kind of quality these sculpts demand.

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Nice but I'm a little weary after the Bespin Han too. The likeness on the ANH sculpt IS off. No, the sculpt is clearly not the "off" part, once you take a look at the paintless prototype, you'll be astounded: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?p=4104

I think it's safe to say that SSC's paint department needs to get with the damn program, that unpainted version is freaky accurate IMO and the paint isn't holding up its end of the bargain.

plasticfetish
12-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah, the sculpt looks amazing in those shots. I can't imagine much better from something this scale. Very nice.

About the paint, what was it they said at the Q&A at CIV? something about how no matter what kind of job they do on the prototype, they're always limited by what the factory can do. Something about how the paint they use is roughly akin in quality to automotive paint.

I'm curious to know if maybe they're trying to dummy down these prototypes to reflect that. Promise less, deliver more?

AmanaMatt
12-13-2007, 01:55 AM
The new SS gallery has reassured me that this is going to be a great figure.

Speaking for myself only, this is the MUST HAVE version of Han - just makes me a giddy kid again. Overall, great looking figure with great accessories and exclusive. Gotta love the gloved hands!

Now, if we can just get the Chewie to go with him!:thumbsup:

jedibear
12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Now, if we can just get the Chewie to go with him!:thumbsup:

Don't hold your breath on that on unfortunately...you'll go from blue to black before it happens.

The gallery pics do look real good...

AmanaMatt
12-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Don't hold your breath on that on unfortunately...you'll go from blue to black before it happens.

The gallery pics do look real good...

Tell me about it. I am hoping that little voice that told SS to make a $350 Jabba and Throne set tells them to make a $125-$150 1:6 Chewie! Sounds good to me!

Bosskman
12-14-2007, 05:02 AM
Hopefully there will be some left when I get home from work. (at 5:30, 2.5 hrs into the PPO) I don't care about the exclusive though

Jayspawn
12-14-2007, 12:37 PM
What is the exclusive?

Yes, its the paint job that is clearly off, now that they've shown the unpainted sculpt.

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Dang, that went remarkably easy this time. Good job with the streamlined PPO. Kinda overpriced though considering how few accessories he has, and that exclusive, I dunno where they pulled that out of, I'm gonna need to see confirmation on that.

The exclusive is a second blaster pistol that was supposedly used in the cantina scene. Even if accurate, I think they have some f'ing nerve going this way with it, usually we get something at least different from what we already have. I would have taken the Millennium Falcon's dice over this.

About the paint, what was it they said at the Q&A at CIV? something about how no matter what kind of job they do on the prototype, they're always limited by what the factory can do. Something about how the paint they use is roughly akin in quality to automotive paint.

I'm curious to know if maybe they're trying to dummy down these prototypes to reflect that. Promise less, deliver more?Yeah, that's basically the jist of what they said. They do use something very similar to auto paint on the final versions, which is why it "bites" into the material.

They said at SDCC that they're trying to get the process so by the PPOs we are getting something very much closer to what the factory will produce, but honestly, I think a prototype's always going to look like a prototype.

I think cut & sew isn't quite "there" yet on the shirt & vest, the vest is a little too closed at the top and the shirt doesn't seem to open quite as far down as it's supposed to. And the sleeves look too tight now that I think about it. Still, way better than Bespin Han already.

Jayspawn
12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Got my order placed as well. Very easy -wasnt expecting that.

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Uh oh, here we are an hour and a half into the PPO and it's still not sold through. Is it the higher price or lame accessory, or are people just wearing thin on this line?

Darth Cruel
12-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Uh oh, here we are an hour and a half into the PPO and it's still not sold through. Is it the higher price or lame accessory, or are people just wearing thin on this line?

LOL, JT - I bet you meant for this post to be in the ANH Han thread, didn't you?

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 03:05 PM
That's not true, that's impossible!!!

Yeah, I moved them to the right one. Damnit.

So Han SE has made it out past noon without selling through, yikes! That's non-PPO time, right?

Darth Cruel
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I think this is the first Exclusive to make it to the general pre-order. I am somewhat surprised considering which character, and particularly which version of the character, it is.

Edit - Did Hell freeze over? Did the world start spinning backwards on it's axis? nearly 20 minutes in to the open pre-order and not even a low quantity alert.

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
It's the second or third, I think - Bib was one that made it out as well, took him all day to sell through the SE. I don't remember another, but I get the feeling there was one.

I was just about to post the same thing, it's a quarter to 1pm and still no low-quantity warning. RS and Yakface are claiming it's sold out, but it's obviously not. Is this an f'up or are they just slippin'?

Darth Cruel
12-14-2007, 04:36 PM
It's the second or third, I think - Bib was one that made it out as well, took him all day to sell through the SE. I don't remember another, but I get the feeling there was one.

I was just about to post the same thing, it's a quarter to 1pm and still no low-quantity warning. RS and Yakface are claiming it's sold out, but it's obviously not. Is this an f'up or are they just slippin'?

I seem to remember now that Qui-Gon made it out as well. Or was it Leia Boushh?

Anyway...I saw at 1:30 PM PST that the low quantity alert is showing 70 left.

AmanaMatt
12-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok, maybe I am crazy, but I would rather have a unique blaster than dice. JT - you are nuts sometimes :razz:

I love the exclusive - way better than the Obi Wan one where we get some malformed 'Leia'

3.5 hours was the time it took this to sell out - the $10 extra price must have freaked out the scalpers that put these on EBAY!

I cannot wait to get this, personally!

plasticfetish
12-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Ehhh. So I got home from work a little after noon, passed out for a while, and forgot about this 'til around three. Looks like I could have probably had the exclusive after all. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't have bothered to order him at all, but I decided to use my points to knock off the shipping costs.

jedibear
12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
...3.5 hours was the time it took this to sell out - the $10 extra price must have freaked out the scalpers that put these on EBAY!

I cannot wait to get this, personally!

I'm looking forward to this one too...

As for the, ahem, slow sell-out time for the exclusive version...well, I'd hardly call a little over three hours slow unless comparing it to some of the earlier releases, but a couple of factors may be in play...first and foremost, AmanaMatt may be onto something in one regard...the secondary market for these figures is pretty soft, with only Jedi Luke really fetching anything worthwhile, so that may have spooked the ebay hounds a bit, along with that increased price (sure glad I had some rewards points to throw at him) and...it is a little tighter for folks out there right now than it was when this line started...
Add to that idea that this is a repeat character in the collection (granted the more iconic version) but some folks are only wanting one version of a character. Also, there's been a lot of chatter floating around the boards about the exclusive being a little underwhelming (I like it...it is unique to the character and has a little BTS lore to go with it) might have made it a little slower to move than some expected.
Finally, while I don't know if, as JT comments, people may be "wearing thin" on the line, there definitely more negative chatter across the boards regarding QC issues and some disappointment with the final results with some figures that may be making folks "wait it out" until the figure hits and more folks have it in hand to photograph and comment on....it's hard to really say.

But...the bottom line to Sideshow is...it sold out. (And kudos to them for the new "streamline process"...way better than server meltdown nightmares of the past!)

Jayspawn
12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm on the fence about keeping my preorder. I just want the figure really but its almost $75 which on principal is WAY TOO MUCH for a 12" figure. Maybe if I got to shake Harrison Ford's hand but that'd be it.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I seem to remember now that Qui-Gon made it out as well. Or was it Leia Boushh?

Anyway...I saw at 1:30 PM PST that the low quantity alert is showing 70 left.I thought Leia Boushh as well so looked her up in the forums, and she didn't make it out, took her about an hour 20.

QGJ I remembered was the fastest to sell through, 33 mins, but then had among the slowest times to sell through on the Regular Edition version, several weeks.

Thanks for the time on Han's LQ alert, I gave up checking around 1pm.

Ok, maybe I am crazy, but I would rather have a unique blaster than dice. JT - you are nuts sometimes :razz:I would say the same about you! :D A "unique" blaster? It's gonna be like 90% identical to the regular Han ANH blaster. Nobody complained that Luke ROTJ didn't come with both versions of his lightsaber and those were WAY more different than these 2 blasters (Luke's stunt saber in ROTJ is a modified ANH Obi-Wan saber prop).

I love the exclusive - way better than the Obi Wan one where we get some malformed 'Leia'You love it? You haven't even seen the difference between it and the regular one. Do you know what the differences even are? I don't. Even Master Replicas didn't exploit the difference there, and that's ALL they did with their LE line! :p

Oh, and something I just thought of unrelated to the SE issue, is anybody else annoyed that $65 Han here comes with a Stormtrooper blaster but not the Stormtrooper belt he was wearing when he was using said blaster? I mean, this Han is $15 more than the previous Han and that one's SE came with a friggin' Mynock!

AmanaMatt
12-17-2007, 12:00 AM
You love it? You haven't even seen the difference between it and the regular one. Do you know what the differences even are? I don't. Even Master Replicas didn't exploit the difference there, and that's ALL they did with their LE line! :p

I must confess to not being aware of two guns - someone posted pics - barrels seem different, but DUDE, its two different guns!!!! :thumbsup:

Seriously, the exclusive being a Stormie belt would have been pretty awesome - the exclusives lately are pretty lame. The Mynock is my fav thus far as far as 'cool' goes, but the Jango head with Mace is pretty close!

JediTricks
12-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Leia should have had her cuffs standard, but I can see why they went with the exclusive there - nothing else they could think of to include with her. The Boushh exclusive flat out sucked, left field much? I kinda like geezer Obi-Wan's holo Leia, makes sense to me. Luke Bespin, that tourniquet seemed like it should be a non-exclusive accessory it's important enough IMO, but what do I know? Same with Asajj's second head, a non-exclusive for sure. Yeah, they don't really have the knack right now with exclusives, do they? We're just working for a sticker.

decadentdave
12-20-2007, 02:12 PM
I agree that Leia's cuffs were a weak exclusive but I thought the Ubeese blaster for Boushh was a great exclusive. She never uses it in the film so it's not really a must-have but it's a great design so worth getting for hard-core fans. Bespin Luke's tourniquet was an awesome exclusive. What else would you have given him? The Dagobah training backpack? Asajj's second head was meh but it's nice to have an option to go with. I like the white-eyes head but what else were you going to give a character who was only seen in animated form based on a rejected concept design? Her robes? So far Plo Koon has had the best exclusive accessory with the lightsaber gauntlet. It's too bad they didn't use it in the films.

As for a Stormtrooper belt for Han, I'll be using the vinyl belt from the Hasblo Stormtrooper. I knew those old crappy Hasblo figures were good for something.

JediTricks
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM
That's the thing about the Ubese blaster, it's a total left turn at Albuquerque. Not only did she not use it in the film, but where was this design coming from at all? It doesn't even match the costume's design, it's just some weird Hasbro-esque made-up thing from the looks of it.

I would have given Bespin Luke um... a weather vane? A box to throw at him? No, those wouldn't fit... OH CRAP, I DO KNOW! His meal kit on Dagobah, the one that the Hasbro X-wing came with. The training backpack is actually a great idea, but too big, it'd probably tack another $10 onto the set.

Good idea on that belt, let us know how that works out. The Hasbro bodies were kinda wasp-waisted but they were bulkier in general so it just might pan out.

decadentdave
12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
That's the thing about the Ubese blaster, it's a total left turn at Albuquerque. Not only did she not use it in the film, but where was this design coming from at all? It doesn't even match the costume's design, it's just some weird Hasbro-esque made-up thing from the looks of it.

As a matter of fact, there's a picture of the actual built prop of the Ubese blaster in the Star Wars Chronicles book. It's not a made up Hasbro thing.

I would have given Bespin Luke um... a weather vane? A box to throw at him? No, those wouldn't fit... OH CRAP, I DO KNOW! His meal kit on Dagobah, the one that the Hasbro X-wing came with. The training backpack is actually a great idea, but too big, it'd probably tack another $10 onto the set.
I ended up getting 3 Bespin Lukes: 1 repainted completely battle-damage, 1 with mild weathering pre-Vader duel, and one for Dagobah training. I took the Hasbro backpack and Yoda and put them on and it works great. I'm very happy I got the Bacta tourniquet exclusive for my battle damaged Luke.

Good idea on that belt, let us know how that works out. The Hasbro bodies were kinda wasp-waisted but they were bulkier in general so it just might pan out.I'm removing the blaster holder with an exacto blade and replacing it with my own piece using some styrene. Should look pretty close when it's done.

JediTricks
12-24-2007, 04:52 AM
I've got the SW Chronicles, never noticed it. They didn't use it for a reason though. :p

Sounds like some great Bespin Lukes, gonna show us pics when they're done?

Photo of the belt too would be cool.

JediTricks
06-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Han Solo is either at my mailbox place now or will be tomorrow. The price tag is still a stunner though, $80 and change.

jedibear
06-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Give us your first impressions tomorrow when you get him JT...

AmanaMatt
06-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Han Solo is either at my mailbox place now or will be tomorrow. The price tag is still a stunner though, $80 and change.

Be gentle with your review. I'm fragile! (and I really want to love this one)!!!!

JediTricks
06-26-2008, 01:12 AM
So is his damned gunbelt. I'm sure this is an accurate design, but Sideshow really didn't think the toyetics of this thing through, at this scale the leg part is overpowering the belt part so posing Han knocks the front buckle out of alignment, usually losing the right side's 2 pegs (which I strongly suspect are meant to be glued in).

Ok, so my first impressions...

What's bad:
- The aforementioned gunbelt doesn't work or play well with posing;
- the long Buck body arms;
- the regular hands don't match the forearms for crap;
- the shirt has the long sleeves, unimpressive collar, and is made of thin and slightly see-through material;
- the vest is tailored so it wants to remain closed towards the top, it requires a lot of futzing to get it the way you'd want, and it doesn't wanna stay;
- the figure is way way WAY overpriced at $65 plus tax and shipping, barely any accessories to be had;
- the pistols don't fit that well in the holster, pretty much the same issue as Luke Bespin but the exclusive pistol is a little bigger and doesn't want to work out at all;
- the regular pistol doesn't get much paint love, and the drink with blue something is even less impressive;
- the head and hands seem a tiny bit big for the body;
- the hips suck in the pants yet again;
- the bio is pretty underwhelming.

What's good:
- The exclusive and non-exclusive pistols are quite different from each other in design, there's a lot of different things going on and each has a part to play;
- the belt has a really cool look, even if it doesn't stay on that well;
- the gloved hands look really nifty;
- the vest, inner belt, and pants are nicely-done (although that bloodstripe design is not at all what I expected, it works in a somewhat clever way and may be accurate);
- always good to have another stormtrooper rifle, still nifty;
- oh boy, another droid caller;
- Han's boots are very shiny and pliable, some of the best boots they've ever done;
- anything else? Hmm, let's see... boots, pistol, vest, droid caller... nope, guess that's it... except the likeness!!! The head sculpt is damned good and the paint is much better than the prototype photos. There's only 1 angle where if you stare too long it loses the look, then you change the angle little and it's WHAMMO! Han Solo likeness is so there. The paint, I'm not sure what they did, his eyes are a little bigger and from about arm's length it looks a little intense, but closer and further the figure nails it. There's an unusual redness around the eyes, very subtle, that at first seems weird but the figure seems lost without it.

All in all, I can't afford many more figures from this line, it's getting downright out of control at $77 and change for a figure with just half a dozen accessories and the crappy buck body, but this is a really good Han Solo figure.

jedibear
06-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Thanks for your comments, JT. Lookin' forward to seeing this figure for myself next week when he makes it up to my neck of the woods...

I gotta agree with you about the buck body, but at least there's some hope on the horizon. I think Luke (and the SDCC Aayla) are the only figures left coming that are on the bucks....there is supposed to be a switch to the new Prometheus body after that. We'll see....

jonthejedi
06-26-2008, 05:39 AM
...got my ship notice today...7/1 ETA.

AmanaMatt
06-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Jt. Seems pretty accurate. For myself, the portrait is the make or break - the shirt does seem a tad too low quality for the price point, and this should have come on the new body. Damn bucks!

JediTricks
06-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Sure thing. I just scoped the production pics on Sideshow, very few of 'em, and only 1 or 2 really captures the figure well, there's one where they found the very single angle I was talking about where the likeness is a little screwed on funny and shot that.

Darth Cruel
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
So is his damned gunbelt. I'm sure this is an accurate design, but Sideshow really didn't think the toyetics of this thing through, at this scale the leg part is overpowering the belt part so posing Han knocks the front buckle out of alignment, usually losing the right side's 2 pegs (which I strongly suspect are meant to be glued in).

Ok, so my first impressions...

What's bad:
- The aforementioned gunbelt doesn't work or play well with posing;
- the long Buck body arms;
- the regular hands don't match the forearms for crap;
- the shirt has the long sleeves, unimpressive collar, and is made of thin and slightly see-through material;
- the vest is tailored so it wants to remain closed towards the top, it requires a lot of futzing to get it the way you'd want, and it doesn't wanna stay;
- the figure is way way WAY overpriced at $65 plus tax and shipping, barely any accessories to be had;
- the pistols don't fit that well in the holster, pretty much the same issue as Luke Bespin but the exclusive pistol is a little bigger and doesn't want to work out at all;
- the regular pistol doesn't get much paint love, and the drink with blue something is even less impressive;
- the head and hands seem a tiny bit big for the body;
- the hips suck in the pants yet again;

What's good:
- The exclusive and non-exclusive pistols are quite different from each other in design, there's a lot of different things going on and each has a part to play;
- the belt has a really cool look, even if it doesn't stay on that well;
- the gloved hands look really nifty;
- the vest, inner belt, and pants are nicely-done (although that bloodstripe design is not at all what I expected, it works in a somewhat clever way and may be accurate);
- always good to have another stormtrooper rifle, still nifty;
- oh boy, another droid caller;
- Han's boots are very shiny and pliable, some of the best boots they've ever done;
- anything else? Hmm, let's see... boots, pistol, vest, droid caller... nope, guess that's it... except the likeness!!! The head sculpt is damned good and the paint is much better than the prototype photos. There's only 1 angle where if you stare too long it loses the look, then you change the angle little and it's WHAMMO! Han Solo likeness is so there. The paint, I'm not sure what they did, his eyes are a little bigger and from about arm's length it looks a little intense, but closer and further the figure nails it. There's an unusual redness around the eyes, very subtle, that at first seems weird but the figure seems lost without it.

All in all, I can't afford many more figures from this line, it's getting downright out of control at $77 and change for a figure with just half a dozen accessories and the crappy buck body, but this is a really good Han Solo figure.

OW! That review even hurt ME! I like the figure a lot. I do not have the issues with the holster, nor the belt. I have not had a lot of time to give Han a good pose. But I will eventually get to it.

JediTricks
07-01-2008, 03:01 AM
Move the leg a little and you'll see what I'm getting at. The fat straps overwhelm the belt, and knocks the buckle and belt halves out of alignment, sometimes popping the buckle out completely. Anyway, I gave it a fair review I think, and the positives were heavy stuff.

AmanaMatt
07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I rec mine yesterday, and while I had to futz with the holster a bit, it works for me. I have his reg gun holstered while posed with the Cantina one...ok, was there really two guns in the movie for Han? Its cool to have both, but I was not aware of that - if the case?

I honestly feel this is a $65 fig, with the only real issue being the buck body...since he has a lot of clothes, you cannot really tell, though.

I snapped one pic in natural light, with minimal futzing!

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/sshan001.jpg

What's bad:

People read those things? :)

jonthejedi
07-01-2008, 10:56 AM
...at least you guys got yours. I had a delivery date of today. When I checked for local info...it states on UPS.com my pkg. had an exception of "adverse weather", and some twit at cust. service says it was a problem at the other end in Cerritos, CA. So, why no updated info for 3-4 days if it didn't ship. There was a departure scan, just no arrival info.

Jayspawn
07-01-2008, 11:27 AM
You know, this figure still doesnt look right. The final sculpt and paint apps dont work, and that stark-white shirt is WAY to bright and clean.

Given that, I dont regret cancelling this figure for a minute. Cant see the ball? Its on the floor because Sideshow dropped it. :whip:

AmanaMatt
07-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Sorry you feel that way, Jayspawn!

JediTricks
07-02-2008, 01:37 AM
People read those things? :)First thing I do is I read the blurb, then the bio, then I pull out the figure, then the accessories, then I put it all back.

You know, this figure still doesnt look right. The final sculpt and paint apps dont work, and that stark-white shirt is WAY to bright and clean.

Given that, I dont regret cancelling this figure for a minute. Cant see the ball? Its on the floor because Sideshow dropped it. :whip:What are you basing that on? Matt's 1 "in the wild" pic? It's not a true representation (except of the shirt), the natural lighting picked up too much of the paint in the digital camera sensor (the flash would have washed it out), it's not that strong. And I think the sculpt is pretty decent.

AmanaMatt
07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
And here I liked my one pic!!! :sad:

:thumbsup::razz:

JediTricks
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
It's not a bad pic, I'm just pointing out that it's not a fair representation of the head because of the limits of photography.

Darth Cruel
07-03-2008, 12:34 AM
There are pics of the sculpt without paint on Sideshow's site. Hell, the unpainted sculpt looks more like Harrison Ford than the finished product does. And I think the finished product is great! Not perfect, but great!The resemblance to Harrison Ford not being dead on can most certainly not be blamed on the sculpt.

Edit - I mention it a lot. But I will say once again that I am really glad that I don't care if the figure looks like the actor. Saves me a lot of heartache when the figure gets to me.

JediTricks
07-03-2008, 04:48 AM
I think they did a really good job getting beyond the prototype's paint problems to get the head looking as good as it does, and it doesn't do much disservice to the sculpt (which is a fine sculpt, as pointed out). It just doesn't photograph well.

AmanaMatt
07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I was just giving you a hard time, JT!!! Well, I was futzing with the holster and tried to pull the gun out and the scope broke off!!! Great....

Called Sideshow, and they are being cool - she said they would check on options....

I agree on the unpainted pics; they look dead on Harrison, so any issues are to be blamed on the paint - I think its the eyes. They look good, but seem to be throwing the likeness off somehow.

Darth Cruel
07-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I was just giving you a hard time, JT!!! Well, I was futzing with the holster and tried to pull the gun out and the scope broke off!!! Great....

Called Sideshow, and they are being cool - she said they would check on options....

I agree on the unpainted pics; they look dead on Harrison, so any issues are to be blamed on the paint - I think its the eyes. They look good, but seem to be throwing the likeness off somehow.

If they give you a new one. I would like to get the broken one. I may be able to use if for a custome I am working on.

AmanaMatt
07-04-2008, 03:00 AM
I'll let you know!

jedibear
07-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Well. Han Solo finally arrived at my end of the galaxy today and I gotta say...I'm pretty impressed. I was really expecting the worst after all the comments I've read around the boards, but I think he's a pretty solid figure and a great representation of the smuggler as he appeared in ANH.

Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to the Buck's retirement, but the sculpt and the outfit are pretty well done...

Here's a first shot of him with more to come over the weekend...

jonthejedi
07-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Mine showed up 2 days late, due to "adverse weather," and was waiting for me when my family got back from the shore, intact. I have to agree with jedibear, overall I really like it, and is lightyears beyond anything Hasbro ever did. I had minor issues with the front belt buckle popping when sliding down over his hips...but nothing major. Great sculpt right down to the scar.

JediTricks
07-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I was just giving you a hard time, JT!!! I know. :p

Well, I was futzing with the holster and tried to pull the gun out and the scope broke off!!! Great....

Called Sideshow, and they are being cool - she said they would check on options....Ugh, that suuuuucks! I let out an audible groan when I read that. At least it wasn't the muzzle busted off in the holster though, I figure that is the biggest risk.

I agree on the unpainted pics; they look dead on Harrison, so any issues are to be blamed on the paint - I think its the eyes. They look good, but seem to be throwing the likeness off somehow.Actually, I think it's the eyebrows, and they're a lot better than the proto so it's just something they still need to work on.
When I see the eyes and the whole fig in this pic, it says "there it is": http://mwctoys.com/images/review_anhhansolo_6.jpg
(from this review: http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_070208a.htm )

AmanaMatt
07-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Ugh, that suuuuucks! I let out an audible groan when I read that. At least it wasn't the muzzle busted off in the holster though, I figure that is the biggest risk....

Actually, I think it's the eyebrows, and they're a lot better than the proto so it's just something they still need to work on.

Thanks, JT! It appears that the scope is a separate piece simply glued on, so everyone be careful with yours; hold it from the grip itself! Sideshow already sent me an email saying the replacement accessories are available, and they asked for a pic of my broken one, and they wanted to verify which gun! So, I should get the new one sooner than later. Sideshow has always been good about this kind of thing!

As for the eyebrows, I agree - I may try to 'trim' mine down a bit.

There is a pic of a repaint on the Sideshow collectors forum:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21833&page=19

The sculpt is clearly there, as this repaint looks pretty incredible to me!

jedibear
07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I think he's just fine. As for MC's review...I think he's a little harsh, but I guess when you handle every 1:6 scale from every manufacturer in succession, clear favorites come out and not every figure can rise to the top.

I tend to look at these figures one at a time and admittedly, I don't have access to every figure by every company so...I like what I like, what can I say? :)

AmanaMatt
07-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Cool pic, Jedibear. What Chewie is that again?

jedibear
07-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks!

It's the Gentle Giant Minibust

AmanaMatt
07-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Very cool. I sure hope we get a SS version in the next couple years. My Han needs his co-pilot!

jedibear
07-06-2008, 01:44 AM
In the meantime, a certain crime lord catches up with him to remind him of his debt...

I'm having a good time with this one....can't wait til Luke gets here!

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Hmm, something's needed in that photo... but, what? Oh, I know!
Jabba's dais, Jabba's dais
ohhhh, Jabba's dais!
(Jabba's dais, Jabba's dais)*

*- sung to the tune of "Dr. Zais" from "Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off"

That repaint is really good, but something seems a little off about the eye color, that immediately hit me in the shots. Still, a nice piece of repainting, quite ambitious.

jedibear
07-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks JT...

Just got a new camera today....here's a couple more snaps of this guy.
I know some folks have some issues, but the more I snap shots of this guy, the more I really like him...

AmanaMatt
07-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Nice pics! I like the lighting in yours! I was tempted to 'trim' the eyebrows in my Han, but lost my nerve!

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Yay for a new camera, congrats!

The eyes in the second pic have a little manic quality about them, but I think it's just the lighting or angle. The first pic is so cool, simple but really speaks. I still think everybody needs to shrug up that shirt to shorten the sleeves though.

Shatner's Basoon
07-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi there! may I ask if all you fo9lks who have han are Exclusive PPO's? I'm waiting for this sucker, but I can only afford a regular version, and have to wait the time for it to be imported on top of that......
Have any regular ones shipped yet?

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 07:18 AM
All the ones I know about are exclusives.

You do know that exclusives and regulars cost EXACTLY the same, right?

Shatner's Basoon
07-08-2008, 07:49 AM
I didnt know that! it's news to me. But the major factor for me was having no idea if Sideshow ships overseas or not. Once you add the shipping, its cheaper for me to buy from a Uk retailer. I'm on a really tight budget and even the shipping cost would put it out of my price range, hell I can't even afford them now, but you know those things that you just HAVE to have....

although Hanging on for an import does mean waiting....and waiting...and waiting.......

jedibear
07-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Although you probably can get it cheaper from a retailer over there...shop around and see.

Can't wait for Luke to show up now and display with Han and Leia....

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 12:32 AM
JB, something's wonky with that attachment, it won't open for me. Great thumbnail though. :D

I didnt know that! it's news to me. But the major factor for me was having no idea if Sideshow ships overseas or not. Once you add the shipping, its cheaper for me to buy from a Uk retailer. I'm on a really tight budget and even the shipping cost would put it out of my price range, hell I can't even afford them now, but you know those things that you just HAVE to have....

although Hanging on for an import does mean waiting....and waiting...and waiting.......They have an EU warehouse, but I dunno how that works for something that sells out so fast such as Han here. But check into it, maybe send them an email and ask their customer service how that all works.

jedibear
07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
That's weird JT...it was working yesterday. Let's try again...just did. Still not working. Oh well...don't know what that's about. Noticed that some of my earlier ones aren't working here now either.

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 10:24 PM
It's working now. Slight database issue turned out to be the culprit. Looks very cool.

Jayspawn
07-11-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm trying to find a reason to get this figure but....man, that wrong shirt and FACE is ticking me off.

Maybe I can get one on sale laster on and modify it.

JediTricks
07-11-2008, 02:34 AM
I don't understand how someone could not dig that head sculpt and even the paint works pretty good. I can understand the shirt, but it's not like a huge difference or a detailed shirt in the movie, just shorter sleeves really. I especially can't understand how anybody could dog that likeness after the turkey that was ESB Han. :p

Jayspawn
07-11-2008, 03:32 AM
The sculpt is wrong. Han looks dumbfounded and confused. Sideshow should have scaned their PF Han -which is FAR better.

JediTricks
07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Not seeing it. His eyes are a little open, and his eyebrows a little high, but not in a "confused" way. Here he looks neither: http://mwctoys.com/images/review_anhhansolo_6.jpg

And I'd argue that this sculpt is much better than the PF version.

jedibear
07-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Wow Jay...I'm not getting that "confused" vibe from the sculpt at all...the more I look at this figure the more I like it.

Check out my shot of him with Leia on post #79...I don't see any "confusion" there...but I do see Han/Ford...

AmanaMatt
08-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Wanted to share a pic of my repainted ANH Han from a gent by the name of Josh on the Sideshow Collector boards

Tell me that doesnt look like Ford!

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
It's creepy at that distance from the lens, I think the spherical nature of the glass is giving it a fish-eye appearance, and as such, it looks a little cartoony. Think you could shoot it from further away but use the zoom to get that shot? Then we could judge a little better.

AmanaMatt
08-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Hmm, here is another shot, at another angle - further back..I dunno, i love the other pic, but lord knows I am no photographer...lol

Argh, I used natural light only, but waited until too late in the day; gave the pics that soft light look. In person, it looks pretty darn nice

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Weird about the small pics, none of them reach the system limits on size or filesize, so it didn't shrink them. Check the source pics, maybe you used thumbnail versions? I dunno, that's so odd.

The first pic is from further away, and does have more to its look. But the second and third pics seem cartoony still, especially the nose and mouth.

Jayspawn
08-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Still havn't picked up this figure. I've looked at the best possible pictures and am still not sold on the likeness. But Sieshow definatly nailed the Raiders Indy 12".

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I still really like this Han, it's very ANH though, so you won't find a lot of ESB or ROTJ in the face, and the shirt is pure ANH.

AmanaMatt
08-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Tough crowd :D

jedibear
08-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Indeed it is, sir! :)

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 05:11 PM
If we weren't a tough crowd, we'd still be forced to collect Hasbro's 12" line. :p

jedibear
08-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Ah, good point :) (although ol' Hasbro did have their moments)...

Nice repaint, AmanaMatt...but I'm still okay with the factory job on this one...

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Ah, good point :) (although ol' Hasbro did have their moments)...Name 3. :p

jedibear
08-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Name 3. :p

Han Solo & Tauntaun

Bossk

Boba Fett (the second one)

These are three I still display and I think stand up pretty well with the higher-end stuff...

(BTW...I know you were just kiddin' w/ me...)

Jayspawn
08-29-2009, 09:16 AM
I gotta agree with ya there jedibear. Those 3 were slam dunks for Hasbro. Count Dooku is a good runner up.

jedibear
08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
yes, Dooku is a good one. With Sideshow producing a PF figure of him. I'm sure a sixth-scale one isn't too far behind. As good as the Hasbro one is, I'm ready for one with a great tailored outfit, a properly scaled lightsaber and hopefully a fine portrait sculpt...and Sideshow has shown many times they really handle the old guys really well...