PDA

View Full Version : AOTC doesn't fail because it's a love story...

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 04:35 AM
I can't recall if I've brought this up before or not.

Most (not all) of us will agree AOTC is the weakest of the six films. TPM has just as many flaws, but it at least feels like Star Wars. ROTS suffers more due to the failings of the PT as a whole, which leave a rushed, imperfect movie to tell the entire story, which leaves it disjointed and without the necessary character development; though it's probably the best of the three from a technical standpoint and even from its general "Star Wars feel," it disappoints more because it was the last chance to save this mess.

The excuse I see often for why AOTC is so weak is that it's a love story. I've seen prequel bashers and defenders alike use this rationale, and even Lucas has stated it.

Think about it for a minute. Think about all the romantic plot threads in the entire saga.

People, ESB is every bit as much a love story as AOTC. Moreso, in fact, because it works. And I'm sure 90% or more of us will agree that's the best film of the six.

AOTC needed another script revision or two. That's its problem. Trim some fat, explain more things, tone down the heavy-handed pseudo-romantic dialogue, even play up the political intrigues.

2-1B
12-08-2007, 04:43 AM
TPM is weaker than AOTC because...well, it's TPM.

AOTC is weaker than ROTS because of the absence of 2-1B. We all know what he did in ESB and his cameo in ROTJ was comforting.

Droid
12-08-2007, 04:49 PM
I saw AOTC on the IMAX screen and they had to cut out about 20 minutes and my friend and I agreed it was a much better film.

Many of the scenes with Anakin and Padme are just plain unwatchable.

However, I think I most hated 3P0 and the battle droid head switch and R2 flying. The entire droid factory sequence was most like a video game than anything else in the Saga. I hated it.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 11:51 PM
They should've taken the IMAX cut, restored the Senate scenes, added in the cut scenes from the Senate (which shouldn't have been cut even from the regular version), and the movie would've been 1000% better.

Still the weakest of the six, though.

Blue2th
12-09-2007, 01:26 AM
I agree. AOTC is the weakest of the six. The beginning Coruscant scenes right up to the Naboo parts are almost unbearable.
I thought if I hear those words "Ma Lady" one more time I was going to shoot myself.
They should have breezed through the love story. I don't think the Padme gets to know Anakin part of the story needed to be told in such a long drawn out way.
We would've all been happier with them meeting for the first time in ten years, and ready to jump each others bones with just a certain look of instant attraction.
I also hated the Droid Factory.
Funny I have no problem sitting through most of TPM and ROTS though.
ESB is my favorite, with ANH a close second.

decadentdave
12-09-2007, 01:46 AM
TPM is the weakest of the 6. It's Romper Room for the kiddies. I was waiting for Mr. Snuffleupagus and Elmo to join the party. AOTC ain't no picnic either but the Clone Wars was pretty badass though.

JediTricks
12-09-2007, 02:42 AM
I challenge you to find even a small consensus claiming that AOTC was weak because it was a love story. I haven't seen this. I've seen people saying it's weak because it's love story is incredibly poorly developed, but not merely because there's a romantic angle to it.

And I feel like ROTS is the worst of the lot because it has the least Star Wars feel to it, it's just angry and rushed, and even the strength of the Obi-Wan story found in AOTC isn't really coming through in ROTS.

decadentdave
12-09-2007, 02:53 AM
I challenge you to find even a small consensus claiming that AOTC was weak because it was a love story. I haven't seen this. I've seen people saying it's weak because it's love story is incredibly poorly developed, but not merely because there's a romantic angle to it.
The love story is weak with asinine dialogue. Their is no emotional chemistry between Padme and Annie. The picnic scene had me cringing, so did the fireplace scene. I never believed for a second that Padme suddenly decides she loves this guy before they are about to be executed in the arena. It's too bad they couldn't have made the love story more incidental to what was going on amidst the backdrop of the Clone Wars ala Gone With The Wind. Instead, we just get Beverly Hills 1138.

And I feel like ROTS is the worst of the lot because it has the least Star Wars feel to it, it's just angry and rushed, and even the strength of the Obi-Wan story found in AOTC isn't really coming through in ROTS.ROTS is the MOST Star Wars-ian of the Prequels. It really felt like old times again watching it. Of course it's supposed to be rushed and angry. It's the turning point of the ENTIRE saga. In AOTC Obi-Wan is off on some boring Dick Tracy detective spree. In ROTS he lays the smack down with Anakin. Obi-Wan has never been stronger or as defined as he is in ROTS. He has so much Guiness in him that I no longer see a difference between them when I watch ANH. The two actors have simply merged their portrayals of the character into one.

Droid
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Ewan McGregor was probably the best thing about the prequels. I thought he was a great Obi-wan and now can't imagine anyone else playing young Obi-wan.

jedi master sal
12-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Ewan McGregor was probably the best thing about the prequels. I thought he was a great Obi-wan and now can't imagine anyone else playing young Obi-wan.

And yet the durse of Obi-wan persists. Now HE hates the fact that he was in Star Wars. Following in the footsteps of Sir Guiness.

Devo
12-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't recall he ever said he hated that he'd been in them - just that they're the worst films he's been in...which is probably accurate.

I'd argue that none of the prequels captured Star Wars but if i was to pick one I'd actually pick TPM. It has a certain adventuresque, upbeatedness to it. Its probably because of the score which was the best of all the prequel scores. And I rate TPM as a film above ROTS. What Chuxter said about how it was the most 'dissappointing' because it failed as the last chance to fix the whole mess. I'd also add that, with all the same flaws of the previous two, it comes across as even more inept as it attempts to handle darker material - with all these flaws being lugged along like dead weight - crap acting, crap dialogue, unbelievable character motivations, CGI overload, childish humour, superfluous characters. The wrongs of the previous two films compromised ROTS too badly that it couldn't possibly recover. Its nonsense for Lucas to say that 90% (or whatever high percentage he said) of the story was always going to be the third film. It by no means had to be that way.

2-1B
05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Roeper liked it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pkUA8BmI764&feature=related

And Chux, you said TPM was mediocre and AOTC was good...why are you slagging it here.

I don't recall he ever said he hated that he'd been in them - just that they're the worst films he's been in...which is probably accurate.

Not anymore, now that he made Deception.

InsaneJediGirl
05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
TPM was the worst of all six films hands down. If I had to hear "Yipee!" one more time on screen I would have went insane(r).

I think AOTC is merely "ok", if the love story had been developed more without the cheesy dialouge and such, it would have made the film more enjoyable. While the arguement is that two people in love say cheesy/stupid things.....not that much. Its just sickening.:)

El Chuxter
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I changed my mind. Re-watching a movie without the initial "holy crap, it's a new Star Wars flick!" can do that.

AOTC is the weakest of the bunch. ROTS is in the middle. As corny and lame as TPM is, it's the best put-together of the prequels.

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 04:49 PM
IMO, AOTC is the only one with any semblance of an engaging plot thread - Obi-Wan's story until it peters out when he hits Geonosis got me. So AOTC is my middle choice, TPM is the most pretense of SW magic so it's #1, and ROTS even with all its darkness and action just feels painful to me.

El Chuxter
05-09-2008, 04:52 PM
AOTC loses extra points for having the most boring car chase in film history and also for having the most moronic ground battle. ("Hey, look at me! I can swirl my lightsaber like a baton!")

2-1B
05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
But Chux, AOTC has all those silly EU characters that you enjoy so much.

El Chuxter
05-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Kit Fisto cannot help what movie he appeared in with the correct head.

2-1B
05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
did Aayla Secura give the correct head in AOTC ? I couldn't tell the difference between that and ROTS...they really blew it.