PDA

View Full Version : Masters of the Universe 2009

scruffziller
12-08-2007, 02:10 PM
He-Man Returning to the Big Screen

Source: Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117965714.html?categoryid=13&cs=1)
May 24, 2007

Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5736#) are working with Mattel to turn "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" into a live-action film, reports Variety. Justin Marks is set to write the script. Silver will produce.

He-Man (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5736#) was born as a Mattel action figure, and the toymaker created an animated series in hopes of selling dolls. The series became a cult favorite, but the brand was hardly helped by its first big screen incarnation, the campy 1987 flop Masters of the Universe that starred Dolph Lundgren as the title character and Frank Langella as his nemesis Skeletor.

The franchise has been reimagined by the producer and the writers and pitched to Mattel as a classic good vs. evil battle, using the kind of visual effects strategy employed in 300. A warrior is touted as the last hope of a magical land called Eternia, which is being ravaged by technology and the evil Skeletor.

Many of the characters will be informed by the mythology created in the four different cartoon series done since the 1980s.

JediTricks
12-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Come on writer's strike, kill this project dead!

El Chuxter
12-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Many of the characters will be informed by the mythology created in the four different cartoon series done since the 1980s.

1) The original
4) The wonderful relaunch that failed because Mattel shot the toyline straight to hell in a handbasket

That would make the really craptastic attempt at a revival from the late 80s either #2 or #3. Would the other be She-Ra?

JimJamBonds
12-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Wow its cool that this is coming out 20 years ago when I was 10.

Jayspawn
12-11-2007, 12:07 PM
It would be great in the style of 300. As long as it has MerMan I'm happy -haha.

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Wow its cool that this is coming out 20 years ago when I was 10.
Nicely done!

scruffziller
12-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok, what is the deal haters?:confused: Do you just not like MOTU or the really bad movie that came out in 1987. The original cartoon was corny but could have been better with more production which was realized in 2002 with the series that came out that Chux mentioned. If you have never seen it, it will certainly change your mind about the franchise.

El Chuxter
12-22-2007, 11:22 PM
And it's finally coming to DVD in early March. :thumbsup:

I already pre-ordered my copy.

Neuroleptic
12-22-2007, 11:31 PM
I caught the first few episodes of the latest cartoon when it first aired, but that was it since it came on at a time that I was simply too busy during the day to watch, and lived in a house with 7 people all wanting to watch a different thing.

What I saw of it was awsome though.

I don't know about a live action movie. Sounds too much like they are trying to get in with the transformers re launch. But then, we got Joe, star wars, care bears, my little poney, teenage mutant ninja turtles . . . damn near everything except ghost busters has made a come back in the last 10 years or so. So why not He-man?

It is discourageing to see that the best they can make these days is re launches of old lines that are 20 and 30 years old. Some are actually pulled off rather well, but I'd like to see them make something NEW.

El Chuxter
12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
They do make new series, and they're mostly not very good. Stuff like Pokemon and Power Rangers.

Lord Malakite
12-23-2007, 02:01 AM
damn near everything except ghost busters has made a come back in the last 10 years or so.
The did try to bring back Ghost Busters. It was called Ghost Busters Extreme or something like that. All they did though was make a bunch of people mad with that show though. Can't say I blame them. Every Ghost Buster was a newbie made just for that show. The only vet Ghost Buster in it was Egon, but that didn't help much as they decided to make him into a wheel chair bound quadraparaplegic. :upset:

They do make new series, and they're mostly not very good. Stuff like Pokemon and Power Rangers.
I resent that. Power Rangers may not be all that when compared to typical primetime adult shows (LOST, Heroes, etc.) or cartoons oriented torwards adult audiences (Bruce Timm's animated DC universe), but as far as kid's shows go its probably the closest thing (besides maybe the current TMNT toon) still airing that has that vibe of what made 80's shows (like He-man, Thundercats, Transformers, etc.) so memorable while providing the classic charms that made the Godzilla movie franchise a cult hit in American society. You just have to go into watching it with an open mind is all (and realize that it will be written with a kids audience in mind).

JediTricks
12-24-2007, 04:37 AM
I'm just burned out on a-hole studio execs calling old '80s properties up for new cinematic embarrassments, and MOTU seems awfully challenging to get right in live-action. Plus, Mattel ran a very promising modern MOTU line into the ground in an unpleasantly short time.

Lord Malakite
12-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Plus, Mattel ran a very promising modern MOTU line into the ground in an unpleasantly short time.
Which kind of a shame really. The modern MOTU cartoon was relatively decent to watch until we got into that "vs. the snake-men" garbage.

JediTricks
12-25-2007, 01:59 AM
The cartoon kinda petered out when they went there, and the toy line didn't even make it, and the cartoon only went there because of Mattel's changing the toy line. They're doofuses for sure. Plus, letting the cartoon flounder on Cartoon Network was a terrible idea.

scruffziller
12-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Plus, letting the cartoon flounder on Cartoon Network was a terrible idea.

Agreed. As great as it was, it needed a more stable distribution medium.
It is too bad that it went away because the 3rd season was going to be centered around Skeletor: the Emperor of Eternia. He had successfully taken Castle Greyskull and defeated the forces of good.
A commentator said it best of the new 2002 series.

"This new series is like what Justice League is to the SuperFriends, as it was to the original MOTU series."

El Chuxter
12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Wasn't the third season also supposed to deal with Hordak's return?

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 01:46 AM
I cannot think of a single successful cartoon that aired exclusively on Cartoon Network for older kid action. For all their mighty power, I notice the network pretty much puts the hate on anything themed at pre-teen boys - the closest they have is Ben 10 which isn't saying much. But Justice League they buried, all the Transformers series they've had have had horrible scheduling, MOTU, Gundam, Megas XLR, Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, even eventually Samurai Jack.

Lord Malakite
12-29-2007, 03:30 AM
I cannot think of a single successful cartoon that aired exclusively on Cartoon Network for older kid action. For all their mighty power, I notice the network pretty much puts the hate on anything themed at pre-teen boys - the closest they have is Ben 10 which isn't saying much. But Justice League they buried, all the Transformers series they've had have had horrible scheduling, MOTU, Gundam, Megas XLR, Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, even eventually Samurai Jack.
Indeed, given Cartoon Network's track record I fear things won't bode so well for an upcoming show I've been interested in seeing when it debuts - Kamen Rider Dragon Knight (Steve and Michael Wang's American adaptation of Kamen Rider Ryuki). The Kamen Rider series is generally considered one of Japan's darker tokusatsu series (in other words if Sentai [the tokusatsu series used for Power Rangers] is considered SuperFriends, then Kamen Rider would be Justice League).

Oh well, even if Cartoon Network does manage to screw things up, it shouldn't be all bad. Kamen Rider Dragon Knight is supposed to get a theatrical movie. ;) I also don't think the Wangs can bungle up the show worse than what happened with Masked Rider (Saban's toned down "child friendly" American adaption of Kamen Rider Black RX that starred Verne Troyer as the precusor to Furby toys - Ferbus). :D

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Kamen Rider is going to Cartoon Network? That doesn't exactly make sense, isn't it live-action? I think that's one of those series that's hard to translate for American kid audiences because it requires a level of maturity and sticktoitiviness that they generally don't show. Is CN going to air it during Adult Swim or something?

Lord Malakite
12-29-2007, 04:45 AM
It is indeed coming to Cartoon Network JT, and it is live-action. All the details (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0937403/) about its airing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Dragon_Knight) haven't been released as of yet so I can't give you much. All I can say for certain is that it'll start airing sometime in March 2008.

El Chuxter
12-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Given how popular Adult Swim is, maybe the shows on at 9 and 10 should appeal to adults. I'd tune in early for my Futurama fix (for a few more days, at least) if He-Man was the lead-in instead of Teen Titans or Naruto.

JediTricks
12-30-2007, 04:01 PM
They used to do that, JLU and MOTU were on before Adult Swim, but the problem is that kids aren't watching at 10pm so it doesn't sell them toys, and since it's not selling them toys, the toy companies aren't interested in paying for part of the production.

DarthQuack
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM
They've got 5 months left to get this out.