PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Star Wars COLLECTOR? Why? What determines what you'll buy?

Tycho
12-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I participate in the hobby to build dioramas.

In 1995 I was thrilled to see what was then the most realistic renderings of the Star Wars characters in plastic (that R2D2 is still fantastic!) and there were only 9 different ones.

I had the opportunity to buy to recreate the movie scenes and gather together the appropriate number of Stormtroopers to outnumber 6 good guys (if you count the droids).

Then of course it just blossomed from there in terms of both what Hasbro was producing and what I decided to buy.

I never decided to "collect" in order to have everything they made though. The first figures I consciously remember passing on were the "All New Likenesses" of Luke and Leia, as I already had these characters and THEN (in 1998!) started resenting Hasbro making minor improvements to characters I already owned, so as to try and entice folks to buy the same guys all over again (and Luke Tatooine kept being rolled out there, as he was even this year in Phil Collins disguise).

But I never set out to be a "collector" in the proper use of the term. It's the best "most general way" to describe what I do to non-participants in this hobby, but I NEVER was a completist.

Each non-movie year I might scale way back just how much I buy. But with about every conceiveable army building opportunity done (aside from Expanded Universe Yuuzhan Vong warriors), I don't forsee myself chasing all these little product changes like a blue-coat Han Hoth in a giant, deluxe Target battle pack (honestly, I don't even want that).

So where are you in terms of what you're buying or want to buy (wish list)?

stillakid
12-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I buy stuff that catches my interest. Mainly, I get everything that has to do with 3 3/4" scale figures including vehicles, playsets, etc... Why? Don't really know. They look cool, I guess. It's a holdover hobby from childhood. Reasons like that I suppose. Nothing specific like having a need to create dioramas or anything. I just get it. :)

Other than that, it really is about what catches my interest enough. I have a couple of Don Post Deluxe helmets (Vader, Biker Scout) as well as a few other odds and ends that just looked good or whatever. Again, no specific reasons beyond just wanting some things when they catch my eye.

Thunderbird
12-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I try and get everything I can get my hands on. If it has the Star Wars logo on it I want it:yes:.

Now with that being said with so much stuff out now it's impossible to keep up with every thing. So the main collection it everything in the Hasbro line. I alway pick up two of each figure (one loose, one carded) and any varitation I find out about. Muti packs are usually two of each,(same as above), vehicles I get just one to open, but keep boxes(I don't have room to store a sealed one) This goes for all the sub-lines (Transformers, GH, Unleashed, deluxe figures, Micro Machines etc...)

Everything else (Cards, books, stickers, seasonal items, etc...) I pick up when I see it and have the cash for it. I love store displays and Promo Items, and pick them up any chance I get.

I'll never army build. I have a hard time finding the time or the room set up the figures and everything else that I have. Right know the SW Room is too full and I need to start taking stuff down to the storage I had to get last year for the over flow. This has been a heck of a good year:)

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Pretty much, I ask myself three questions:

1) Is this something I have already, or is it a marked improvement over an earlier version?

2) Does it suck?

3) Would I display it on a shelf, or will it end up in a box?

More and more, I find most merchandise doesn't fit those three pretty simple criteria.

Luuuuuuke
12-09-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't consider myself a STar Wars collector in the classic sense because I only collect the basic figures, and I'm not even close to being a completist. To me, a "Star Wars collector" pretty much collects anything Star Wars, or at least, stuff from different lines. I never have. Not even close.

To be honest, I'm not a Star Wars fanatic. I liked the original trilogy quite a bit, but I was never a fanboy about it. When people mention obscure characters they want made into action figures, I'm clueless about 90% of the time. I don't read the EU books or any of that either. I don't go to conventions, etc. I don't wear Star Wars shirts or any of that.

My interest in Star Wars is relatively narrow.

Neuroleptic
12-09-2007, 12:39 AM
I used to collect two of every figure back when the line re started in 1995. Then about the time they started the SOTE I quit that.

Then I went to whatever I truly liked. THen I stopped for a while. Then I sold nearly everything on Ebay to buy an Aquarium. Then my friend got me a shutle tyderium for the target exclusive, and found an old 1980s At-At here in town for a rediculously cheep price and restored it.

Had to have figures for it and the B-wing (only thing I kept aside for a handfull of droids).

So now I army biuld. I'm up to 8 storm troopers for the shuttle and At-At, and a whole heap of droids. (turns out I had a few more than I thought when I moved that were hideing in a box in my closet).

Since my space is limited to one book shelf, I wont be doing that forever.

I also like to buy the loose original figures, find repro or original weapons (wichever I can afford or find) and re make the packageing on my own. It's a lot of fun doing the resurch to make it accurate.

JediTricks
12-09-2007, 03:36 AM
I collect what I like, and I like a lot of what's out there for Star Wars so I get it. However, it's starting to ablate as time wears on, my interest in SW LEGO is nearly gone, and Hasbro feels nearly out of gas.

Jayspawn
12-09-2007, 10:35 AM
In the beginning (1995 for me) I started collecting EVERYTHING that had the Star Wars name on it. Unfortunatly, after that and having worked for the SW Fan Club for many years -I massed a HUGE, mountainous collection. I realized about a year ago that it was out of control as it literally took over my parents entire basement, a seperate apartment and a storage unit!

I also realizd about the time that the beast -known as Hasbro will NEVER DIE! They will make SW toys long after I die! And i dont want to be collecting them for that long. So I pretty much gave up with the exception of select figures ie: McQuarrie, Boba Fett, VOTC and those of select coolness.

I switched to high-end only ie: prop replicas, minibusts, statues, autographs and idealistically they make me more happy than YEARS of collecting figures ever did.

DarkArtist
12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
my overall goal is to have at least one of every figure loose. I have been collecting since '78 and haven't stopped. Still missing a few of the vintage as well as some of the most recent but I hopeful to get them all before the line ends.

JON9000
12-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't buy vehicles anymore.

I don't buy prequel figures anymore

I don't buy repacks for cardbacks or coins/slides/holos

I don't buy boring figures I know I'll be able to get for $1 next year, like Major Derlin, or figures I have absolutely no interest in.

I don't buy goofy astrodroid repaints, or remakes of figures that are not significantly better (Imperial Gunner)

I don't buy big sets of figures from EE, like the death star briefing

I don't buy EU stuff.

I do buy a lot of figures from OT.

I do buy rehashes if they are a significant improvement over what is already out there (VOTC and just about any update of early potf2 figure, gunner excepted). I love articulation.

I do buy anything from Tatooine in general-Mos Eisley, Droid sale, the cantina or Jabba's palace.

I do buy OT troops, but not to an insane degree- 12 Stormies, 3 Biker scouts...

I do buy the occasional supersweet sideshow or GG item. I have two.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I buy different characters, Droids, Aliens, ETC...

I don't buy new versions of characters that are rehashed. (For example: Why buy another Han Solo Smuggler figure when the VOTC is standing on my shelf? Same with Chewie, Greedo, Tusken Raiders ETC)

I do buy PT stuff, but mainly AOTC Clones, and 501st Clone from ROTS, other than that my PT army building is slight to say the least.

I buy anything EU from Hasbro, because i like the books better than i do the movies.

I would buy Side Show 12 inch figures if there was a place to purchase them, where i could get alot of the ones i missed, but then again i find it really hard to pay 60 bucks for a figure i have no real intrest in...(Endor Troops by side show...Palapatine, ETC)

I mainly collect just because it's one of the few fond memories i have from my child hood is star wars, it's my comfort zone, and well even being 27 years old, i still need that "ahh it's going to be all right..." when i look over at my book shelf and see Boba Fett, and crew. Some people eat chocolate or go on binges, I collect star wars figures and then go on binges. :)

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I quit buying new stuff to focus more on the vintage, but after completing the entire set as well as the 12'' line I have been at a bit of a standstill. I have passed on nearly all of TAC. Some of them look great, but they just dont do it for me anymore. I restarted collecting around the time of green card w/holo and stopped at about the 25% mark of POTJ. I restarted pretty heavy with OTC because OT will always have the biggest spot it my heart. The first run of VOTC was the best. I skipped all of AOTC/Saga. I did ROTS pretty well, but have gotten rid of nearly of that. I have just about gotten rid of all new items, the only thing I am trying to complete is the McQ line.

New stuff is cool, but really, all those clones? Scalper and secondary prices are absurd. eBay is just as bad. Distribution is always a problem. When I was younger I was concerned with value, but I was only 10-12 and not that well off, so it was nice to have something that was "supposedly" worth more than I paid. Now I find it difficult to believe any modern items are worth the retail price on them. I remember seeing steroid Luke at a card shop for like $32 and thinking I would never own one.......because of price of course.......

Now I just follow because its interesting. I always say "Oh sweet I need one of those, and those, and those......" and I never get any of them. I didnt even get Hermi, and I was so excited for a new OT character. SW got me through some of the toughest times as a child; parents messy divorce, not having a lot of money, not meeting certain expectations in school and sports, and not having a lot of friends. It was hard, but knowing what a good person can accomplish in life got me this far. I mean, Luke turned Anakin back from the dark side. And he was only a farmboy........

Ill continue to follow Hasbro, but have my eyes set on things like GG, SS, or MR. And of course Kenner.

bigbarada
12-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I collect for a few different reasons:

1. I buy cool figures of characters that I like. Guys like Bossk, Barada, Chewie, Artoo, TIE Pilots, etc. However, when I feel that I've finally gotten the definitive version of that character, then I don't buy other versions unless Hasbro just does something amazing with a new version.

For example, there's no way Hasbro could possibly improve upon the VTAC Bossk, so I think I'm done with Bossk figures.

Once I have a definitive version, previous versions become disposable in my mind (with the exception of vintage figures, of course). So I will usually toss them in a box and eventually give them to a my nephews or one of my friend's kids.

I've never had any interest in amassing a huge collection that takes up an entire room. So, when my collection gets too big, I begin to resent it and start making HUGE cutbacks. However, if an outdated figure has built up a certain amount of nostalgia in my mind, then I will keep it around. For instance, the 1997 POTF2 Bossk and the 1995 POTF2 Chewie.

2. Great action figures of characters that I'm not super interested in. Like, R1-G4, FX-7, Dagobah Luke, Amanaman, Ephant Mon, IG-88, CZ-4 etc. These are what I consider to be benchmarks in Hasbro's Star Wars line, in terms of detail, articulation and paint apps.

3. I buy great figures of characters that provide a link to my childhood. This group would include Artoo, Chewie and Bossk again, along with Ewoks, Jabba's Palace denizens, Darth Vader and Han Solo (not so much with these two recently), Threepio, Rebel Pilots, Jawas, etc.

4. Impulse buys that I regret later. It's not all bad though, because some impulse buys turn out to be surprisingly great figures so they end up in category #2.

2-1B
12-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I like to get Star Wars autographs at one or two conventions every summer and then I also like to get some of the documentary books (none of the fiction).

I have a handful of toys that I got over the years that have sentimental value...but I wish I never bought 95% of the stuff I have bought. That's probably why I liquidated a ton if it. lol

stillakid
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
That's probably why I liquidated a ton if it. lol

Like a Star Wars smoothie? :sur:

2-1B
12-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah, a Greedo-flavored drink prepared by Wuher. ;)

Slicker
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I try to collect almost everything 3 3/4". It's becoming tougher though since no stores over in Japan sell Star Wars figures that I can easily get to. I'm in the Brian's Toys One of Every Figure Club but so far I've only gotten Wave 5...

Tycho
12-09-2007, 08:07 PM
but so far I've only gotten Wave 5...

You're kind of up-to-date almost.

Wave 6 you mostly won't like. I know there's the "collecting aspect" of trying to get it all - and I don't doubt you will - but there's nothing to be excited about there (in wave 6). Wave 5 is the single-best wave of this year probably.

Wave 7 (Ewoks, Tycho, R2 w. Net, etc.) is still just hitting but not saturated here in the US.

The 7.5 repaint wave isn't much of anything exciting unless you always wanted a "blue Greedo."

Wave 8 (Jango, Clones, Padme, Voolif, etc.) just showed up as a trickle. So I'd say you're doing fine and will get everything. Wave 8 will be repeated next year in the first case assortment anyway - though maybe without the coins.

JetsAndHeels
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
In 1995-96 when the line came back I bought just about everything. Every figure, every vehicle, whatever there was.

I did the same with EP1, POTJ, and the saga collection. Once the EP3 figs and the lines after that began to hit, I changed my ways and was saved from being a completist. I looked back through my collection and realized how many figures I had purchased that were the exact same, minus the card or some additional accessory.

Now with the current anniversary collection I have been only buying figures I have interest in. I bought the Boba Fett, the McFett, the animated Fett, some clones, etc...but currently I am hunting the new Jango. Everything else I can pretty much skip, unless I see something new that catches my eye.

Darkross
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I had 8 vintage figures as a kid...

2 - Hoth Luke
1 - Hoth Leia
1 - Bespin Guard
1 - Hoth Soldier
1 - Luke (Tatooine)
1 - Boba Fett (Painted)
1 - C3P0 (Painted)

1 - Speederbike
1 - AT-ST
1 - X-Wing (Missing canopy and 1 gun)

Soas you can see...nothing too exciting. I remember as a kid wishing for a Millenium Falcon or dozens of stormtroopers...but never getting them. Then when the 1995 POTF2 line came out...I remember saying that I would not collect them for fear of never being able to get everthing. That Christmas...my wife bought me Darth Vader. That started it all...I had to get Luke, Han, Chewie, R2-D2 and C3P0...etc.. Then I limited my collection to only figures. Then saw the dioramas people were making on the web with vehicles...then I was convinced to buy the vehicles too. Trying to limit my purchases to only vehicles that I really wanted or that were properly scaled. So far...my favorite ships have been the Imperial Shuttle and Tie Fighters (Big Wings). I love the Tie Bombers, Tie Interceptors and the X-Wings that have come out also. I am a core character collector as well as an army builder. The majority of my collection includes mainly imperial troops. The magic number is 12. 12 Death Star Gunners, Stormtroopers, Scout Troopers etc...I mainly want to do a Deathstar hangar diorama with even ranks of troops. Plus...most armies are even numbered and look cooler. I usually try to buy two ships of each kind also...with a few exceptions...1 Sandcrawler, 1 Tie Advanced, etc...

I don't consider myself a completist by any means...as I don't collect the PT figures (except for droids) nor the PT ships....nor do I collect everything...although the clones and the gunships are totally cool. I open everything that I do collect...with a few exceptions like the UGH Vintage Bikerscout. Until I get my basement finished and the cabinets built for my collection...(3/4 of my stuff is opened and the other 1/4 will remain boxed / carded) will be stored until then. I love collecting, parusing the toy aisles to see what is new and what I will pass one. It's my hobbie and gives me great pleasure in knowing that I have found that "unicorn" or diamond in the rough. What a great sense of satisfaction at the end of the day.

Kidhuman
12-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I have been collecting since back in 78. I bought a piece here and there after 84-85 when I saw them in a store.

In 95 I started buying them again. I havent stopped much, but have cut way back on repacks and rehashes of characters we have already. I have passed on more stuff this year than in past years combined. I am a casual army builder. I purchase vehicles based on ow much I like them. I have mostly OT ehicles, havent bought one JSF in any color, they dont appeal to me.

I also collect the GH and titanium line. I did Legos for a few years but have no room to display them. I have about 3 sets sitting in my closet with no room to put them if they were together. I will buy a set if I see it on clearance. I never got into SS or GG stuff or even MR. The higher end stuff doesnt interest me all that much.

bigbarada
12-10-2007, 02:39 AM
When it comes to vintage figures, things get a little wierd for me.

I've never been a diorama builder, but I've been getting this crazy inkling to try to recreate the Rebel Hangar scene from ROTJ using only vintage figures and vehicles.

That would require several vehicles:
1x Millenium Falcon
1x Imperial Shuttle
3x A-Wings
1x B-Wing
4x X-Wings
1x Y-Wing

Of those, however, all I have is the vintage Shuttle, one vintage A-Wing, two POTF2 A-Wings, one vintage Y-Wing, and the POTJ B-Wing. The modern vehicles don't really count, but would serve as placeholders until I could get all the required vintage versions.

For figures, it would require (the ones I'm missing are in red):
Luke Battle Poncho
Leia Combat Poncho
Han Trenchcoat
Chewbacca
Artoo
Threepio
Lando General
Nein Numb
Admiral Ackbar
General Madine
Pruneface
Rebel Commando
Luke X-Wing (for a generic X-Wing Pilot)
A-Wing Pilot
B-Wing Pilot
2-1B
FX-7

(I know there is no evidence that Ackbar, Madine, 2-1B or FX-7 were in the hangar, but they would help fill out the scene.)

Honestly though, that would take up a crazy amount of space to get everything positioned properly so I might just have to scale it down a little.

Again, I'm not a diorama builder or a completist, this is just one thing that I think would be cool to do.

Dark Marble
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I started collecting Star Wars when my mother got cancer. I had the Falcon and a few figures at that point but didn't really start buying until then to take my mind of things. I never set out to collect it all just vehicles and pilots. Later Jedi and Sith got added, then Jabba's Palace, and then Cantina Aliens. Throw in the new movies and things got heavy.

Later it turned into trying to get everything, army building like a mad man, and building a fleet for all 6 movies. After almost 13 years of collecting my attitude has changed a lot and I am down to trying to get one of each unique figure and one of each vehicle as long as it is unique. Now I am stuck with hundreds of loose figures and a few extra vehicles that I believe I will eventually give away.

But I do it now because it makes me happy and I love collecting Star Wars. Starting in 2008 I think vehicles will have to go...

BanthaPoodoo
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I buy stuff that catches my interest. Mainly, I get everything that has to do with 3 3/4" scale figures including vehicles, playsets, etc... Why? Don't really know. They look cool, I guess. It's a holdover hobby from childhood. Reasons like that I suppose. Nothing specific like having a need to create dioramas or anything. I just get it. :)

That describes me to a T!

Since 1995 I said I was wanting to do what I couldnt do as a little kid, get every Star Wars toy possible (I want the ENTIRE set)

So if its 3/4" scale figures including vehicles, playsets (as long as it has a figure with it, thats where I draw the line) I want to get it!

I am a completist as far as having every 3 3/4" figure. Playsets without em dont really interest me, even though I have seen some cool looking ones.

Oh and LEGOS!!!! I must have every OT Lego set. The PT sets don't really interest me, but the OT are just awesome & I love em!

waboritas
12-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Got my first figure - Darth Vader in 1978. Best Christmas stocking ever had Jawa and Tusken Raider figures (cards folded). Got the Death Star Playset and Milenium Falcon that same Christmas. Collected the Kenner line through '84 and the last figs I got were Endor Han and Wicket. GI Joe really screwed up my Star Wars collecting as I tried to do both lines. My parents bought us both, but my focus was really on GI Joe. I got back into SW with the Hallmark Ornaments in 95 or 96 and have every single one of them to date. In '96 I picked up the 3 3/4" Han and 12" Han and decided I was going to collect Han Solo figures exclusively. Caldor went out of business and clearanced stuff in March '97 and the rest is history.

I am not a completist and like many of you, I do not need a dozen Han Solo in smugler outfits, etc. and I have more Darth Vaders than I will ever need. I bought sporadically during POTJ, mainly on ebay. Never got into the OTC or VOTC in 2003/4? My intent 10 years ago was to start a collection for my children and now I have a 10 month old son who will get the collection I have amassed over the years. My collection is all Hasbro 3 3/4" figures, vehicles and playsets, Galactic Heroes and Hallmark Ornaments (no I do not have them displayed all year long). This fall I started buying the Master Replicas scaled replicas as they went on clearance. My plan for this stuff is to do a Star Wars themed room for my son and display the replicas on shelves, etc. I hope to finish a basement and build large playsets of various planets (Hoth, Tatooine and Endor) for him to play with.

My wife is really hell bent on me giving up this hobby and I keep pushing back. Space is a big problem as 99% of my collection is unopened.

bobafrett
12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I collected some stuff from the early days, but my parents would not support my habit. I had to work for every figure I owned, and my parents put my priorities for me, saving for a car, extra's I wanted in school, like a class ring or a year book, Star Wars was what I spent any remaining money on.

Then came the dark ages. There was a big lull in merchandise, and I found interest in women, and rock concerts.

In 1995, they started it up again, the big machine that has been reaping our harvest of cash for little plastic collectibles.

I collect what I like. My intersts have always been with the 3 3/4 inch figures, but I also collected the large unleashed line, lego's, model kits, the 12 inch Hasbro figures. Lately I find my tastes changing toward the Gentle Giant busts. I have some, but would like more. I look around my empire of toys, bigger than some collections, puny compared to Steve Sansweet's. Since getting engaged, I have found myself packing up more and more of my collection, to make room for the inevitable getting married.

Tycho
12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
I had to work for every figure I owned
This was mostly true for me, too. I got plenty as gifts, including big things like the Millennium Falcon, the Death Star, and the AT-AT, but I mowed lawns, washed cars, and such for all the neighbors to amount up the cash I needed to buy almost everything, including not only the figures, but the smaller ships like the TIE Fighters and what not. I was too young in those days to even work with a permit. But it was good in the sense that having paid for much of the stuff myself, while I opened it to play with, I took super-good care of it.

saving for a car, extra's I wanted in school, like a class ring or a year book,

I hear the car part. For me, it was also having nice clothes. I was well-dressed and paid for that myself. The class ring and yearbooks were never an interest for me, so I skipped out on those expenses. However, when I was too young to drive, I did hire transportation for myself and my dates so that my parents wouldn't embarass me.

I found interest in women, and rock concerts.

Oh yeah! I went to my first rock concert when I'd barely become a teenager (Def Leppard I think) and the Queensryche thing started about then and hasn't stopped to this day - I'm holding 3 tickets for their shows in February and unless they start doing Cyndi Lauper covers, they're not likely going to get rid of me!

In 1995, they started it up again, the big machine that has been reaping our harvest of cash for little plastic collectibles.

I remember telling myself, "It's only 9 figures, and I'll get 5 stormtroopers, so that'll be 13 in total (counting one of the troops in the original 9)."

Then Lando came out and he needed Stormtroopers to fight and another Chewie figure to join him. Han Hoth needed a Chewie figure to go with him as well. Boba Fett needed another Lando and Darth Vader to help threaten him...

It had started!

Oh, and the vehicles of course:

The landspeeder required extra Luke, Ben, and the Droids.
The AT-ST required another Stormtrooper (until they made the Driver figure).

So when there were 16 figures released, I already had 27 or more in my collection, and it was growing. The capture of Princess Leia for example...more stormtroopers, another Vader, another Leia...:rolleyes:

I collect what I like. My intersts have always been with the 3 3/4 inch figures, but I also collected the large unleashed line, the 12 inch Hasbro figures. Yup. And now add the SideShow figures to the list - at least if Hasbro never made the characters or there is such a tremendous improvement like ROTS Anakin.

Since getting engaged, I have found myself packing up more and more of my collection, to make room for the inevitable getting married.

I always asked myself if getting married would ever really make me happy over the long run and then it struck me that it's better to pack up the girl than the collection! :twisted:

Cane_Adiss
12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Since I started getting SW figures in '96 I've mostly focused on the aliens and droids. My first SW action figures were the POTF2 Han in Carbonite (which was destroyed somehow) and Momaw Nadon. Momaw is still my favorite figure for sentimental reasons.

I still mostly focus on alien and droid figures but I will pick up the occasional jedi, trooper, vehicle or Human officer if they are really good. Been getting all the McQ figures for their cool factor.

The only time I really focused on "collecting them all" was the ROTS line which was a really slick line IMHO. I managed to snag all of the basic figures and most of the deluxe at my local stores. (Had to order Passel Argente on Amazon) But I probably won't "collect em all" again for budget reasons.

I'm in this hobby just for the fun of it. I'm not super serious into Star Wars, but I love the figures and when Hasbro comes out with a new Jabba's palace figure or Cantina alien I go nuts. I tend to like the OT better, tho there are some things from the

Cane_Adiss
12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Since I started getting SW figures in '96 I've mostly focused on the aliens and droids. My first SW action figures were the POTF2 Han in Carbonite (which was destroyed somehow) and Momaw Nadon. Momaw is still my favorite figure for sentimental reasons.

I still mostly focus on alien and droid figures but I will pick up the occasional jedi, trooper, vehicle or Human officer if they are really good. Been getting all the McQ figures for their cool factor.

The only time I really focused on "collecting them all" was the ROTS line which was a really slick line IMHO. I managed to snag all of the basic figures and most of the deluxe at my local stores. (Had to order Passel Argente on Amazon) But I probably won't "collect em all" again for budget reasons.

I'm in this hobby just for the fun of it. I'm not super serious into Star Wars, but I love the figures and when Hasbro comes out with a new Jabba's palace figure or Cantina alien I go nuts. I tend to like the OT better, tho there are some things from the Prequels I would really love (Mon Cal Dancer!)

TheRealDubya
12-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Got in on the ground floor in 1978-79; went whole hog around ESB as I had one big Christmas that gave me the Death Star, two Tauntauns, a Cloud Car, Dewback and Snowspeeder, as well as two 6-packs of figures. ROTJ was a huge event and I got many of those, but GI Joe had started to creep in around '83. In 1985, when the POTF line hit, I got back into them for a summer and picked up probably 10 of the last 17 (it was the Luke Stormie that pulled me back.) Then I got into girls and sports and toys went away.

POTF2 got me back (was in a drug store and saw a Han Solo figure and nearly crapped my pants) in 1995. Bought one of each to have carded up until 1999, and a couple of vehicles, thinking it might be an investment. That didn't work out. Enjoyed the Special Editions, was dissappointed with the first two prequels.

When the VOTC figures came out, I couldn't resist. Bought them all, but nothing else. Loved the Clone Wars cartoons and ROTS, and it reignited my interest in the series. Still didn't buy any figures though.

In 2006 I sold off all of my POTF2 stuff, cleaned up/completed the Vintage I had left and bought a case of the VTSC. I got half of the case graded and just had the other half sitting around; since I wanted to get the Lucas Trooper, I opened them. First figures I had opened in...21 years. Got HOOKED.

Started looking at SSG & Jedi Temple Archives image galleries (I had lurked on SSG for a few years) and was impressed by many of the post-POTJ offerings, and decided I would buy the best "definitive" version of each character, and open them. I am only a completist this year in the basic line, for the coins. I'd say I have around 250 loose modern and 70 or so loose vintage. I also completed a loose set of Super Powers and Indiana Jones figures since getting back in last year.

I don't display these guys much (I have a few on a shelf in a closet, a handful of vintage and the bigger modern guys, like Ephant and Hermie); I just really enjoy the craftsmanship and the figures. I love having figs we never had in the Vintage line (Rebel Sentry, CZ-4) and am nuts for the McQ's.

I am under no delusions that these will ever be worth much. I'd say it's 70% nostalgia, 20% geek factor and 10% OCD. Since I am also way into the new vintage style Joes, I would say that I'm primarily reliving some chunk of a very happy childhood.

AmanaMatt
12-13-2007, 02:25 AM
Cool subject -

I am like many: I collected the Vintage as a kid, stopped in '83 - saw the POTF in '85 but passed. Then '95 rolls around and I go nuts - bought two of everything. Around the time of EP I, then EP II, I scaled back - donated many of my extras and kinda settled into a healthy collecting style.

I buy mainly Original Trilogy, but dig Clones and some Prequel stuff. I buy Vintage ships only: have the Imperial ships, the super cool Xwing and the like

Hard to believe I have been recollecting since '95 - here it is almost 2008! I donated at least 15 figures, sets, or ships every year during the Holiday - helps keep the collection managable.

I have one room in my house where I store all of it! I refuse to let it escape out!

Jaff
12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I started as a kid in 78 with the 12 back figs, and when they returned in 1995 my nostalgia demanded I gather them once again. I basically returned to collecting to get one of every character, and vehicle in the films. This grew into collecting extra figs (stormies snowtroopers, rebels) for display reasons, and now I like the idea of dioramas. Since I have all the vehicles and over 600 figs I only collect new FILM figs only, or any substantially improved figure that was priviously made. Sometimes I'll buy an extra stormtrooper, jawa, or army builder, but I try to stray from that.

What I really want now is for Hasbro to step up to the plate and diliver accessories for us to create better dioramas. Yoda's house, cantina tables, the maintenance equiptment and so on. I want playsets more than anything. At Hasbro's current production choices I will be out of the game by 2010, but they can keep me spending if they throw an accessory to me once in a while. I mean I bought the HOTH battle pack just for the Turret!

Ji'dai
12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Started collecting SW in 1978 and only stopped when they quit making them. I couldn't afford to get all the POTF and EWOKS figures so my vintage collection is incomplete. Back then I collected everything - cards, books, magazines, toys, posters, fast food premiums, cereal, dixie cups - anything with SW on it.

Began collecting books, comics, and cards again in the early 90s when Timothy Zahn's books revitalized interest in SW. But when the first toys hit (Galoob's MicroMachines & Kenner's ActionMasters in '93-'94 and then the action figures in '95), I dropped cards & comics to concentrate on collecting the toys. Although the vehicles used vintage molds and weren't always compatible with the new figures, I still got them all. I collected the 12" figures I liked until Sideshow got the license. Began collecting SW LEGO from the get-go in '99.

My enthusiasm waned after Episode I, and I stopped collecting PT beasts & vehicles, but I still bought all the 3.75" figures.

I bought all the Playskool toys though I stopped collecting that line after the Galactic Heroes name change. I bought die-cast (Titaniums) up until the recent price increase.

It was only after the price hike in 2005 that I began to stop buying many of my beloved action figures. Fortunately, with all the repacks and repaints it's not really that big a deal, although a part of me still feels some regret.

Since '05 I concentrate primarily on 3.75" OT figures, but will buy prequel figures if they look cool or can be used in an OT diorama.

TheRealDubya
12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
This grew into collecting extra figs (stormies snowtroopers, rebels) for display reasons, and now I like the idea of dioramas.

Since '05 I concentrate primarily on 3.75" OT figures, but will buy prequel figures if they look cool or can be used in an OT diorama.

Do any of you guys have pics of your dioramas up on SSG? I'd love to take a look at what you've done.

tagmac
12-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I started colecting on my 6th birthday back in '82, so my parents had to backtrack, but I managed to get nearly every vintage figure, until POTJ came along. By then, my parents were telling me I couldn't buy SW figs anymore because it was "old," and I should be getting more popular stuff. Still, I managed to get my hands on more than half of those figures, including Amanaman and Carbonite Han, in those days the toughest to find and the cream of my collection. If not for my parents ignorance (and my lack of funds, being under the age of 10, of course), I would have had them all, since I had seen Romba, Imp. Dignitary, EV-9D9, Imp. Gunner, and Stormtrooper Luke (the rarest after Han and Yak Face, and the only one of those missing I plunked $130 down for 6 years ago).

Being angry/frustrated at my parents for this, when the new figures came around in '95, I swore I was gonna get every single figure, although the idiotic rarity of Leia, 3-PO, and Lando brought out the toy scalpers in droves (the likes of which hadn't realy been seen since the days of Transformers), which, made collecting quite frustrating. More than half the figures I bought from '95 - '2000 came from dealers and those same scalpers for up to twice the price because I couldn't find them anywhere, and you couldn't exactly order figures online quite so easily back then (a Hasbro rep had the nerve to tell me that Leia and Lando were discontinued!) Since I never had most of the vehicles, I bought all of them, too.

The 12" came out, and I passed at first, until I started working at KB for the holidays, and the asst. manager, who heard that I was a SW fan, asked if I'd want to buy the last yellow-haired Luke before the pink-hair version took over. I did, got lucky that a manager at TRU cracked a case for me so I could get Obi-Wan, and ended up buying every one of those as well. Paid $250 and $200 for Luke/Wampa and Han/Tauntaun respectively, thanks to the garbage that was going on with those figs in those days, from those same scalpers - boy was I dumb in my college days when it came to collecting! got lucky to get hooked up with the KB exclusives, and got to FAO early enough to sign up and get all of their exclusives, too. Never missed a 12" until the Ewoks were impossible to find, save for bloated prices online which I refused to pay as I got older and wiser with my $$ in 2002 and beyond.

With the vehicles, I was all set to buy the Shuttle, then canceled my order at the last minute when I realized I didn't have the space and needed the money. Since then, I've stopped getting vehicles, unless one comes along that really intrigues me.

In the last few years, I've also stopped being a completist with the figures, as I don't need different packaged versions, skipped out on the holo figs, and plan to skip out on the the new VG figs as well. As for 12", I bought Sideshow's Bespin Han, Ep. III Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul because I thought they looked cool, but barring a Chewbacca or Bespin Leia figure, I'm done with these. Getting married next year, and realizing that I'll never be able to display my whole collection in a room, it's time to cut back to where I'm only buying the individual figs, the occasional comic pack, and only really special collectibles that catch my eye (like the Anakin and Maul MR Sabers I got a few years back)..

Ji'dai
12-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Do any of you guys have pics of your dioramas up on SSG? I'd love to take a look at what you've done. Unfortunately no, I've never been happy at how the pics turned out and then I accidentally stepped on my camera and broke the lens last fall. I'm still shopping around for a new digicam; I just can't make up my mind, but I definitely want a SLR this time around.

dindae
12-14-2007, 01:35 AM
I collected as a kid in 78 to 83. I almost all of the ANH and ESB figures. I lost interest in the toys because GI Joe articulation was so superior. In 95 I resisted buying the figures because I know my OCD tendencies. However a thoughtless friend who collected at the time decided he would buy me Han and Chewie. That started it all back again. I slowly picked up the rest of the line. I kept them carded because I was more interested in them as a collectible then as a toy. Plus my roomate had bought some as well and he had opened them so I had the best of both worlds. I started collecting variations when I found a Long Sabered Luke at a comic shop for $7 which was cheap at the time. From then on I started collecting any carded variation sans things like the Saelt Marie spelling error, collection changes, etc. After the green cards a lot of figures went on sale so I started to pick up loose figures as well. At the height I was collecting carded figures, loose figures, Legos, the collectible card game, books, comics, Galactic Heroes, Titanium, Collectible figure game, some trading card set, the occasional unleashed figure, video games, and autographs. I always wanted to display my collection so when I could no longer display my carded figures in one room I sold them. I stopped the card game and the figure game as I never really played them and they were such a huge money sucker. Lego went away last year when the line up was mainly a bunch of rehashes of vehicles I already had. So now I down to loose figures, titaniums, comics, and galactic heroes. I'm am thinking of making another cutback. I had always thought I would ride the line out getting every figure. I just never thought that would mean at a rate of 100 figures (including comic packs, ee packs, Legends variants, etc) a year two years after the final movie. I am thinking of cutting back again but I will wait to see what 2008 holds.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-14-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm strictly an OT buyer of SW merchandise. Definitely 3 3/4" figures but like many said before, I don't go for alot of the repaints/repacks. I always dig it when there's new sculpts of characters already done and especially new sculpts of characters never done!

I had lots of fun this year collecting and went crazy with the TAC stormies and SL Biker Scouts and Sandies. And I really love the McQuarrie line.

I get some GG busts, MR and SSC stuff when it catches my eye.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE most of the star wars 'coffee table' like books, and always make room for those and I love to read the OT EU stuff but don't really need figures based on EU characters, although I was happy to see Mara and Fel this year and I'm glad for all the Eu fans out there getting figures of their fav characters.

I have all of the vintage figs and vehicles and playsets from my kidhood, some played with some in the package and my most recent endeavor has been getting mint versions of the orginal 12 kenner figs as they are super uper duper played with, just need to find a mint Luke Skywalker now. However, I would NEVER get rid of my 'played' ones as they are the one thing that has the closest connection to my Mom. She really fed my star wars habit up until the end! A Mom of Mom's if you will!

I also have a lot of random vintage star wars stuff that is just uncategorized like dixie cups, combs, soap, etc.

Last, I love to play star wars video games on PC!

And then there's all the random SW stuff that friends and family get for you cuz it says 'Star Wars' on it. I always love that stuff because you know they really know you when they get star wars stuff for ya, even though you are old :yes:

Tycho
12-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Unfortunately no, I've never been happy at how the pics turned out and then I accidentally stepped on my camera and broke the lens last fall. I'm still shopping around for a new digicam; I just can't make up my mind, but I definitely want a SLR this time around.

I don't know what a SLR is, but I am very happy with a Panasonic that I got for my trip to Louisiana. I spent about $250 all things considered (that included the extra accessories I picked up like an additional memory card, etc.)

Unfortunately, my dioramas were all taken down when I finally got the camera, but one day everything will be set up again.

mark2d2
12-15-2007, 03:51 AM
Like many of you, I grew up with Star Wars. And now, while I have slowed down tremendously as far as collecting goes --- just have wayyyyyy too many toys after all the years and years --- I still pick up the figures and vehicles that I simply HAVE TO HAVE. This year, my purchases included all the 2007 VINTAGE figs, about ten regular figs, and the Y-WING.

My focus is heavily OT. That said, just today I picked up an R2-B1. Yes, I am a sucker for droids, what can I say? My favorite purchases of the year all involved droids. CZ-4, Jawa with LIN Droid, and the Y-Wing with its awesome R5.

I also can't say no to any Cantina Aliens.

Looking ahead, I hope the Padme Evolutions rumours are true. As well as the WED-15 "Septoid 2." And the ROTS 2-1B looks awesome. . . I do hope that we see a decent Cantina playset one of these days. . .

bobafrett
12-15-2007, 04:22 PM
I also have a lot of random vintage star wars stuff that is just uncategorized like dixie cups, combs, soap, etc.:

I have a lot of that stuff, my mom would buy it on clearance after she found that I could not be turned from my collecting habits, I have erasers, pencil sharpeners, calculators, tooth brushes, etc.

And then there's all the random SW stuff that friends and family get for you cuz it says 'Star Wars' on it. I always love that stuff because you know they really know you when they get star wars stuff for ya, even though you are old :yes:

I've had friends drop by with stuff that they used to own, but just got tired of it, or there parents were going to throw it out. I got a carrying case from a friend with a bunch of loose figures in it. I enjoy these suprises, and when I get figures in the mail from friends, who don't even ask for payment.:D

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Tycho, an SLR is a camera known as a "single-lens reflex", and generally this is the higher-quality camera (especially in digital, where you cannot get a DSLR for under $500, and that usually doesn't include a lens). SLRs have interchangeable lenses and the gimmick is that there is a mirror between the lens and the shutter which displays exactly what the lens is seeing into the eyepiece.

Ji'dai
12-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't know what a SLR is, but I am very happy with a Panasonic that I got for my trip to Louisiana. I spent about $250 all things considered (that included the extra accessories I picked up like an additional memory card, etc.) Basically what JT said. In SLRs, the viewfinder and shutter lens are synchronized to display the same image. I also like the flexibility that interchangeable lenses offer. These cameras are more expensive, but I think it'll pay off in the long run as my photography needs and skills grow.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Samsung right now has a great DSLR for under $400 ($350 on Amazon right now), the GX-1S, it even comes with a Schneider 18-55mm lens at that price, and it's actually a partnership with Pentax so it takes all Pentax lenses. My stepdad got one not too long ago and seems to prefer it over his Canon EOS-20D which cost over twice as much.

stillakid
12-16-2007, 08:00 PM
the viewfinder and shutter lens are synchronized to display the same image.

:confused: Sorry, but that made very little sense. What's a "shutter lens"?

The only thing that is "synchronized" is when the mirror flips up out of the way as the shutter opens to let light onto the film (or light sensing chip). When the shutter closes again, the mirror drops back down into place. That's the reason your viewfinder goes dark while the photo is being taken.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera5.htm

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I think my previous post explaining what an SLR was made sense.

As for the terminology:

"Reflex" in this case is using the definition of reflecting light (it's in the dictionary, but most folks aren't familiar with this use).

"Single-lens" is important because in the first half of the 20th century, superior cameras had 2 lenses, one for the film and the other for the viewfinder, which was large, awkward, and clumsy to use.

Ji'dai
12-18-2007, 09:57 AM
:confused: Sorry, but that made very little sense. What's a "shutter lens"? Yep, poor word choice on my part.

Getting back on topic, after looking at RS's rumor list for '08, I may be cutting back significantly next year. I'm an OT toy collector first and foremost, and just a very casual PT toy collector.

And it looks like '08 is going to offer mostly prequel stuff, tons of multi-hued Clone Troopers, and other product based on the new video game and TV show. No wonder all those Clone figures won the fans' choice polls; Hasbro is making more of that crap already.

Plus with the price increase, I may just focus only on Indy stuff, which I'm more excited about than SW any more anyway.

TheRealDubya
12-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I may just focus only on Indy stuff, which I'm more excited about than SW any more anyway.

That's my plan -- Indy and GI Joe in 2008, with the odd OT figure, here and there. No vehicles next year for me, unless that Falcon rumors pan out.