PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of TAC - wave 4

JediTricks
12-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Continuing with our "best figure of 2007" poll series...

Which figure do you consider the best from TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) basic wave 4?

Remember, you can use whatever criteria you wish, it's entirely up to you. Maybe you just like the coin, or you were glad to find it, or its articulation was perfect, or you found one painted flawlessly. Whatever makes it the best in your book is fair game.

When we get to the end of the line, we'll put the winners up against each other.

And if you haven't voted in the Wave 3 poll (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36669) yet, it'll be open until the 12th.

JediTricks
12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
For me, this was a real turkey of a wave. 3 background nobodies, 1 background somebody, 1 dubious retool, 1 very frustrating Luke that should have been what we had been asking for yet wasn't, and a McQuarrie figure that just didn't seem to stand out as well as it should. My choice was down to Concept Vader, CZ-4, and Umpass, but all of them have their foibles: CZ-4 is a little goofy and awkward and has paint issues; Umpass is too pre-posed and his clothes get in the way too much; and Vader's kinda bland, has a WAY oversized saber hilt, neither helmet is exactly right, and the cape attaches all wrong. All that said, I chose Concept Vader because he does have the most going for him with sculpt, articulation, and accessories. But it's tragic that this wave was such a melt-down considering how much trouble it's been, first to find and then to watch pegwarm.

bigbarada
12-09-2007, 04:18 PM
This is a tough one for me; but I eventually just had to go with CZ-4. I remember him in the Sandcrawler as the "seizure droid" as a kid, so he's always stuck out in my mind. And please spare me the explanations of how this is actually a droid from Jabba's Palace, because I don't care. He'll always be the spastic, Sandcrawler droid to me.:p

The figure itself is another great example of what Hasbro can do when they put their minds to it. With his only real flaw being the lack of ball-joint shoulders. I will admit that it was really tough to find one with a decent paint app, but with patience I was able to and he's a great figure.

Umpass-Stay was really awesome, but SE characters just don't resonate with me the way OT characters do. Plus I was slightly annoyed with Hasbro taking so many liberties with the alien design.

McVader is another great figure, but just another Vader when it comes right down to it. If he had been the only "man in black" that we had gotten this year, he would have won my vote easily.

Animated Fett, I really like him, but wish that Hasbro had gone with the animated style helmet on the prototype and not just a repaint of the VOTC helmet.

Cantina Aliens - I honestly don't care enough about these guys to differentiate between the two. I'm officially bored with the ANH Cantina.

Jedi Luke - Like JT said, should have been the figure that we've all been asking for, but ended up failing on EVERY level. A disappointing waste.

Just a quick question: Where is the vintage-style figure poll going to fit into this? Because I had completed the VTAC collection before I saw a single figure from wave 4.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-09-2007, 04:43 PM
This is kind of a tough choice this round.
Umpass-Stay is a big figure with some nice detail and a large accessory, but I don't like his pose.

I'll rule out Luke because he doesn't have much new to offer, and I don't like the way that soft goods "thing" is done. Hasbro did throw us a bone though.

The cantina aliens are decent figures with the curved pieces to complete the bar. M'iiyoom's skirt limits her leg articulation so it's kind of hard for her to sit down. Elis's design almost allows him to sit down while still standing up. His stance kind of leaves one foot sort of at an angle, so I don't like that, but overall a decent figure.

I'll agree with bigbarada about Vader. Too many Vaders to make this one special, but an okay figure with an alternate helmet.

CZ-4 is a good figure. Some decent articulation for a protocol droid. Plus, if they don't ever make the other CZ droids, I can get multiples to stand in for them.

At first I wasn't going to consider Boba Fett because I thought the knees were swivel and not ball-jointed. I thought the same thing with M'iiyoom until I was looking at the Rebelscum diagrams. I started to bend one of his knees once and it looked like it wasn't meant to bend. Now that I see that he has that articulation, that's a few more points to him. So I guess that is my choice.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Is it just me or do these keep getting tougher?

But at first i had to go with Fett, because it's a great figure cool weapon, cool soft goods and it was the Fett i always wanted until i got the VOTC...But it was just another Fett...i wanted to and have been trying to vote toward what i thought was the best figure of the wave...not my favorite. And with that in mind i have to give my vote to CZ-4. Other than his shoulders he's perfect, a real testament to what can be done with droids and star wars figures in general. I tell everyone that if they want what is one of if not the best figure in the TAC collection it's CZ-4.

The Luke i liked but it was just another Luke, no one has said nothing i can do nothing but agree with on Vader (Both positve and Negative), but in the end yes it's just Vader, though a very cool Vader. Herlot and his companion for the bar sequence are very cool espically Herlot i've always wanted him just because he looks so cool for a alien in star wars. Umpass wasn't a good figure and i hate this thing, reminds me of old POTF2 days...bad flashbacks, but a cool drum piece if i dont say so myself. All in all a good wave, and the only one that really peg warms around here is Umpass, though Fett isn't to far behind.

Kidhuman
12-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I oted for Umpass Stay. I know e is preposed and all, but he fits in the Cantina diorama perfectly on one of the seats.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-09-2007, 05:24 PM
I chose Boba. He just looks weird and cool.

It seemed like all the other characters were "close, but no cigar." M'iiyoom needs to be able to sit; her and Elis's bar pieces aren't perfect; CZ-4 has wonky legs, is too dirty for my tastes, and constantly feels like he's going to break; Vader's helmets are both wrong; Umpass-Stay is pretty good but I would've preferred more articulation; Luke . . . I don't know why they made the Luke, he's OK-looking I suppose but the dickie is off-putting and I would've rather had a DSII one.

Neuroleptic
12-09-2007, 05:33 PM
I voted for CZ-4. I don't associate him with the ROTJ one that is sitting in peaces (by the way, the action figure can be taken apart at the waist. It's a nifty little feture). He will always be the one wandering around the street in mos esely in episode 4.

He is one of those figures I had been waiting my entire life for, ever since I was old enough to want an action figure, and now I got him.

And my wife likes him too ^_^

Battle Droid
12-09-2007, 05:57 PM
CZ-4 got my vote.

Tycho
12-09-2007, 06:07 PM
I voted for Elis Helrot, the Givin.

He was another figure that we at SSG selected from the Never-Made-Before group and he turned out great.

The Fett might actually be better, but I never asked for him, nor did most people I know.

Umpass-Stay continues to be a very impressive sculpt in his details. Would he have been more articulated...

We also asked for CZ-4 and Myoom Onith, but the latter doesn't really interest me, just serves to help fill the cantina which is of importance. Having a new OT droid sculpt is very cool though.

DarthBrandon
12-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Concept Vader

obi-dad
12-09-2007, 06:34 PM
I went with CZ-4 since I've always wanted one and love the sculpt. I don't nessarily like the paint app, though.

M'iiyoom Onith doesn't interest me at all and easily could have been one of the last Cantina aliens done. Elis Helrot was a close 2nd for me, but that bar piece made me so mad, I rather Hasbro had not made it. The paint apps don't match the straight pieces and the curve is so tight, a center bar piece, if ever completed, won't fit in without using a straight piece in between the two curved pieces... and that's just wrong too. Is hate too strong of word for a plastic accessory???

I actually hadn't noticed Vader's masks not being accurate to the original drawings... I'll have to check that out, but overall, Vader and Helrot were a close 2nd.

I won't even comment on Luke... I refuse to buy another craptacular Jaba's palace/DSII poser. After sucking up 10 more years of our money and 3-5 more failed attempts, I assume Hasbro will finally give us what we are asking for, but until then, I refuse to buy another one.

Actually, and maybe half of it is that great drum accessory, Umpass-Stay was near the top for me too, but like many others, I don't like the pose.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
I voted for Elis Helrot! A figure I've wanted for a LONG time! It's great to see him in plastic finally. And what a great last name :evil:

jedibear
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I went with CZ-4...I think he's pretty cool looking, although i do associate him more from the sandcrawler and the streets of Mos Eisley in ANH more than in chunks in EV-9D9's workshop or in the extreme background of Jabba's throne room...

The jedi-scarf Luke is not so hot...

I like the McVader...but this has been a Vader-heavy collection (along with Legends) so while he's unique, he's....Vader.

I'm always pleased to see more cantina aliens and these two are pretty good...

The ani-Fett is just an excuse to repaint the figure...

Umpass is...okay, but frustrating. I would've enjoyed a more articulated and neutral pose instead of the frozen strain we got...

JT is so right about it being frustrating about initially finding this wave only to see it become the biggest pegwarmer of the year...

dindae
12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
I thought this was a great wave. It checked off several holes in collection so it is hard for me to choose but since I had too.

M'iiyoom Onith & Elis Helrot - I like these figure and am always happy to add more cantina patrons. I was slighty upset about the bar being less than perfect after asking for it for so long. Both of these characters were not strong desires though but solid choices done well enough for me.

Boba Fett (animated debut) - I was surprised by how much I liked this figure considering I had never thought of wanting one and the fact that it is essentially a repaint.

Luke Skywalker (ROTJ) - This is probably my least favorite figure of the TAC. The only value it has to me is the shot hand and that is **** poor.

Umpass-Stay - I really like the detail of this figure and the drum accessory. If they would have given him decent articulation he would have be a shoe in for best figure.

Concept Darth Vader - I am so tired of Vader this figure never stood a chance of being my favorite but that is more of a personal issue than a fault of the figure. His snout is a little off but other than that he is a decent figure.

CZ-4 - This figure shocked me by how good it was. Maybe my expectations were low because of past protocol droids being so hit and miss or maybe it's because I wasn't dying for the figure. But the articulation is very well done and well more than expected.

pegger
12-09-2007, 09:14 PM
I voted CZ-4. It ws the most neutral, and like others here, it's a figure I always associated with Mos Eisley/Sandcrawler. In fact, he is in my ANH display case...

Elis was a close second - more neutral posing would have put him over the top for me.

Snowtrooper
12-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I picked CZ-4. Its one that I've wanted for a long time and Hasbro really delivered on this one. Its got great detailing throughout the whole figure and great articulation. I like the haggard look that the paint job gives the figure, even though its not movie accurate. I also like that you can break him apart at the waist. I was surprised that it took this long for the figure to get made, but it was worth the wait.

1. CZ-4
2. McQuarrie Vader-I really liked this figure too, but it just wasn't different enough from the other Vaders to make it my fave.
3. Animated Fett-A good repaint of a great figure. I also like the prod that comes with it.
4. Miiyoom Onith-Another welcome Cantina alien. Pretty nice figure albeit a little bland in color
5. Elis Helrot-I like this figure, but would have liked it more without the wide stance.
6. Umpass Stay-Nice detail & color on the figure and nice accessory, but a bit preposed
7. Luke ROTJ-There are some good things about it, but it is far from the figure it should have been.

I really liked most of the figures from this wave, so it was hard for me to pick.

El Chuxter
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Elris was a close runner-up, but CZ-4 stole it for me.

sebillba
12-10-2007, 07:17 AM
This already looks like a one horse race, but I will always pick aliens over droids. Normally I would vote for any Cantina alien, but these two are low on my list, and as far as I'm concerned they've just delayed Bom Vimdin or Saurin getting made for at least another year. In the end, I plumped for Umpass - I'm not keen on the pre-pose, but he looks great in the Jabba dio. A very colourful alien, with nice detailing. I like that his hood is removable.

Old Fossil
12-10-2007, 09:46 AM
I went with Fett, though CZ-4 was a close second.

jedi master sal
12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
This was another wave I have to give a couple of minutes to think about which I liked the most.
Ultimately I chose CZ-4.

Here they are in order of my preference:
CZ-4: Long desired droid, potential for repaints.
Concept Darth Vader: Decent Concept figure, bonus for having two helmets
Umpass-Stay: Great sculpt, but the pre-pose ruined it's chances of taking the top spot. Though the drum half was a great addition and subsequently got me to purchase two. (You just KNOW Hasbro is going to reissue the drum with the other drummer, however, like the cantina bar sets, it prolly won't match up paint wise-so I got two of them now so they would)
M'iiyoom Onith/Elis Helrot: Tied! Nice background character additions for the Cantina scene
Boba Fett (animated debut): Didn't really want yet another repaint. Got it soley for the coin. (I stil haven't bought the Mandolorian multipack sets either. Just not into these repaints)
Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)-For a figure that had potential, this one was a stinker. Only thing I did like about it was the sculpt for the head. Otherwise it's a bland boring figure and I hated the execution of the soft goods with this one.

Again, good job JT on keeping these polls going!
So far I'm 3 for 4 of what SSGers think is the best from respective waves.

-Sal

obi-dad
12-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Umpass-Stay: Great sculpt, but the pre-pose ruined it's chances of taking the top spot. Though the drum half was a great addition and subsequently got me to purchase two. (You just KNOW Hasbro is going to reissue the drum with the other drummer, however, like the cantina bar sets, it prolly won't match up paint wise-so I got two of them now so they would)
-Sal

Great point! D@mn!!! didn't think of that. Guess I'm going to have to buy a 2nd one too, just in case. But now watch the half that comes with Ak-Rev have a far superior paint ap, so I'll have to buy 2 of him to have the better drum.

Devo
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
A turkey of a wave JT? It sounds like you're bemoaning the presence of previously unmade characters by virtue of their 'nobody' status. Don't most collectors want these nobodies as relief from the perpetual onslaught of Vaders and clones? I voted for Elis Helrot. A nobody who looks really cool in my cantina, and long may Hasbro continue to make these nobodies. A wave comprising only nobodies would be most welcome by me.

I thought this was a great wave - I probably would've swapped umpass stay for a non-special edition alien and the Luke figure was possibly the worst we've ever gotten relatively speaking. Sure 1995 he-man Luke was crap but it was consistent with the (lack of) quality of every other figure of the time. This can't be said for TAC jedi Luke.

bigbarada
12-10-2007, 02:04 PM

I did the same thing, because I was a little worried with the way Hasbro has starting using words like "hopefully" when talking about Ak-Rev's release next year. Plus, there are enough removable clothing items on Umpass that the extra figure can almost stand in for a different Klatooinian in Jabba's palace.

I'm starting to regret not voting for Umpass.:cry:

But then again, if we get a new Barada or Kithaba in the next year or two, then I'll likely forget all about Umpass.

I won't forget about CZ-4.

obi-dad
12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
A turkey of a wave JT? It sounds like you're bemoaning the presence of previously unmade characters by virtue of their 'nobody' status. Don't most collectors want these nobodies as relief from the perpetual onslaught of Vaders and clones? I voted for Elis Helrot. A nobody who looks really cool in my cantina, and long may Hasbro continue to make these nobodies. A wave comprising only nobodies would be most welcome by me.

I thought this was a great wave - I probably would've swapped umpass stay for a non-special edition alien and the Luke figure was possibly the worst we've ever gotten relatively speaking. Sure 1995 he-man Luke was crap but it was consistent with the (lack of) quality of every other figure of the time. This can't be said for TAC jedi Luke.

Glad someone else said that. Read my mind. Couldn't stand Luke, but other than that I really like this wave. Just wish Hasbro would have picked Brainiac, Bom Vadim or some other exciting Cantina alien other than My'nooth or however you spell her name.

jedi master sal
12-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Great point! D@mn!!! didn't think of that. Guess I'm going to have to buy a 2nd one too, just in case. But now watch the half that comes with Ak-Rev have a far superior paint ap, so I'll have to buy 2 of him to have the better drum.

yeah, I counted on that too. So I'll be fine with two drums. I'll just put one of them in some other diorama. Maybe Gungan diorama or something like that. Ooh, or better yet, Watto's "nest" in his shop. (See the incredible cross section picture for this. It's not the same, but it would do just fine for my purposes.)

So it won't be a travesty for me to have two drums.

Jaff
12-10-2007, 10:46 PM
1. CZ-4 - I've wanted this droid for a long time. He looks good.
2. Elis Helrot- Elis stands out great, but his pose has something to be desired.
3. Miiyoom Onith- An OK fig. The bar curve was the prize for me. It's nice to have Filterpern's counterpart, but all in all this is one of the least interesting, or eye catching cantina figure made IMO.
4. McQuarrie Vader- I love the McQuarrie's, but this one doesn't compare to many of them. It does, in the end, look much like the final version, thus it looses some appeal, unlike the others.
5. Animated Fett - Another Fett, except this one wasn't in the movie. I passed on it, no big deal to me.
6. Luke ROTJ- UGH, and I don't mean something to hunt for. This fig could have offered something different if they tried.
7. Umpass Stay - This figure reminds me of the Saga line. A statue in all senses. I like the drum though.

TheRealDubya
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
You know, I blew it and voted for Boba; CZ was definitely my favorite of this Wave. But I really like the Boba, so cest la vie. I don't mind the Luke at all; I actually really liked the head sculpt. Umpass had the most amazing sculpt, but those preposed legs killed the figure for me (as Big B knows, since he got mine!)

Tycho
12-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I was tempted to vote for Boba myself. I like the figure. It's not exactly a repaint. The gun holster belt and certain elements are different from the standard Fett - but I never asked for this figure, so I'm not going to vote that it's all that impressive. At the end of the day, it was unnecessary. Nice, but unnecessary.

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Who would have thought the goofy-eyed loser droid would be the pace-setter for this poll?

Tycho
12-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Who would have thought the goofy-eyed loser droid would be the pace-setter for this poll?

CZ-4 was also one of our never-made-before poll winners. Star Wars sets itself aside from say GI Joe because it has aliens and droids.

We have had plenty of different aliens over the years, but droids have largely been repaints of many an existing sculpt. CZ-4 is all-new.

I like him a lot myself, but I think he was molded in weaker, rubbery plastic that too easily comes apart where he's articulated, and I thought the Givin (also one of our poll winners) was more interesting to look at.

plasticfetish
12-12-2007, 02:01 AM
This was a great wave as far as I'm concerned. We had all sorts of new OT figures, cool concept figures, and even something (probably the only thing ever) from the Holiday Special. After being stuck in a big clone rut for so long, this one was a treat.

The only figure I skipped from this wave was Luke. The rest are brilliant, but my top two are CZ-4 and Concept Vader. I'd have given it to CZ-4, but after having bought Concept Luke at CIV, it was entirely too cool to be able to match him up with Vader (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=25424). Completely accurate or not, he looks super cool, and best of all... it's fun to play with.

JediCole
12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
This was the toughest wave to vote on as it was one of the waves from which I wanted all but one of the figures for my collection (which is now the case). With the exception of Luke this is an exceptional wave. I am silly for Cantina denizens (given that we got only four back when I started my collection almost 30 years ago) but the animated Boba Fett is undeniably cool, as are any of the McQuarrie figures! In the end I settled on Elis Helrot as I love the design and the accuracy of at least the on-screen portion of his costume was perfect! I really loved how the rigid lines of his anatomy were extrapolated on this figure by giving him sandals to reveal the same look to the feet. A clever touch.

Cane_Adiss
12-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Sorry JT, but I have to disagree with you. This wave was one of the best waves Hasbro has come out with ever! It was a close call between Elis Helrot and CZ-4, but my vote ultimately went to the droid.

1. CZ-4 ~ I've waited a long time for this one! Perfectly done.
2. Elis Helrot ~ Not at the top of my want list for Cantina but he's an
amazing figure! Actually thought he'd be one of the last done.
3. M'iyoom Onith ~ Great figure, but she can't sit at her stool! Nicely done
otherwise.
4. Umpass Stay ~ Another great alien from Jabba's Palace. The stubby, pre- posed legs kinda suck tho.
5. Boba Fett ~ A decent take on the cartoon design. This was the
first figure I bought from this wave along with CZ-4.
6. Concept Vader ~ With there being so many Vaders on the pegs, I almost
passed on this one. Overall he wasn't that great a figure.
7. Luke Skywalker ~ The biggest pegwarmer of the group, I still haven't
picked him up. He doesn't look that exciting tho. We need a Rancor to go with him!

Of all the figures in the wave, I was most excited about the cantina aliens. But I had to vote for who I felt was the best figure and that was definitely CZ-4. Would have rathered Hasbro done a third cantina alien instead of Luke or Umpass like Dice Ibegon, Bom Vimdin, Leesub Sirln or Melas tho.

Ji'dai
12-13-2007, 08:07 AM
My vote goes to Cantina alien Elis Helrot. His skull-like visage is hella cool.

I bought nearly all of Wave 4 (sans Luke) so this was definitely a set of figures that appealed to me.

I would've went with Umpass-stay as my favorite if the figure had articulated knees. I bought two Umpass to make a complete drum and I display both figures on either side of it in my Jabba's Palace diorama. The squatting pose really sucks though.

CZ-4 would be my third choice. Always good to see more droids that aren't repaints of astromechs and 3PO body styles.

M'iiyoom & McQuarrie Vader rank fourth. Nice figures to have, but not really all that exciting. I suppose if Hasbro had released McQuarrie Luke in the basic line like they should've done, I could recreate the famous airlock duel painting and my opinion of Vader would be higher. But standing there alone on the shelf he's just another Vader.

I was disappointed in the Animated Fett, but I still bought two of him. Had Hasbro sculpted Fett in the cartoon style, he would've easily been my favorite of the bunch. I've wanted a DROIDS Boba Fett since the mid-80s. Kenner pretty much repacked the old ESB Fett in the DROIDS line in 1985, and Hasbro let me down again 22 years later.