PDA

View Full Version : I hate my job

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Does anyone else hate their job as much as I do? There are only a couple things that keep me sane. Star Wars of course is one, and more importantly being with my family.
I work in the medical field. I have a desk job. I sit in front of a computer for 8 and a half hours a day. Sounds good, doesnt it?
Well it is terrible. I answer phones, schedule appointments, and work on Doctors' schedules.
That part is fine and well, but when you factor in the general attitudes of the people that call, the mean and angry doctors, the secretaries, your boss, etc, it makes for a stressful situation.
Basically I just wanted to ask if anyone out there is like me.
Do you hate your job with a passion? Do you feel like your life is passing you by while you suffer in your workplace? Do you feel like you want to blow up like Anakin at a Tusken Raider settlement? How do you feel?
If you are like me and the only escape you can get is Star Wars, let me know how you feel. I know I cannot be the only one.

Lord Malakite
02-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Perhaps you should find a better job. :D

master jedi
02-11-2002, 02:12 PM
If you hate your job that much then I should refer you to customerssuck.com

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Perhaps you should find a better job. :D
I am moving in late July/early August of this year. I will be changing jobs then. I was just curious to see if anyone else was in the same situation.
Guess not.

Rollo Tomassi
02-11-2002, 05:08 PM
I don't think you should take crap from MDs. I think you should give it. If they don't like it, say " if you don't like it, maybe you should find a new profession." MDs suck.

I work at a movie theatre. I like my job.

2-1B
02-11-2002, 05:20 PM
I finished college last May and never moved on to a new job - I still work for the same company I did while in school. But now I'm thinking about grad school, so that could be cool. Do I hate my job? Sometimes . . . but I guess as long as it's a "mean to an end" I'm happy to stay where I am.

SWAFMAN
02-11-2002, 06:28 PM
jango,
Just try to keep some perspective. Even a lousy job is better than no job. Especially right now when so many people have lost jobs in such a concentrated period of time. The competition for the precious few decent jobs that do pop up lately - the ones you can support a family on - is worse than the competition at the after Christmas sales in Macy's bargain basement. If you're making a change in jobs then remember the old Tarzan analogy, "don't let go of one vine before you have a solid grip on the next."

Short of being totally unemployed, from your description of your job, I'm sure you realize how many worse jobs you could be stuck with. I'll bet you aren't on the list of people who have to respond if a "code brown" is announced in one of the exam rooms. And when those egomaniacal M.D.'s start attituding all over the place, just try to picture them draining their next patient's pus-engorged, infected, rotting, reeking rectal boils, or doing a pelvic exam on a 67 year old muttering, alcoholic bag-lady who hasn't bathed since the Carter administration. Then, just smile sweetly at them and say, "Have a nice day."

(Then, go key their fuggin' Mercedes! :D )

Emperor Howdy
02-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Just so you know, Jango......I often hate my job....but I don't think it's hating the job, actually...it's the PEOPLE I hate. For example, JUST TODAY I had to drop off a bid to an old lady to take down two 50' pine trees. I bid her at $800 ($400 a pine....which, incidently, would've been $100 more per tree if I didn't know her through a friend). About 20 minutes after I dropped it off, she calls me on my cellphone to tell me how 30 years ago she had the same thing done at another house for $200. I said, "Yes ma'am, but that was 30 years ago, and the price I gave you was more than fair......for 2002, ya freakin' old biddy!!" Actually, I left the "2002, ya freakin' old biddy" part out....but it's what I was thinking. A lot (not all) of old people have no concept of today's business and prices. They can't get over the "I used to pay Billy, the neighbor's boy, $5 to mow the grass!" I can't wait until she picks up the phone, calls another landscaping co., or tree-removal co. and gets a $2000 bid. When she calls back, I'm sending over a kid with a tiny hatchet and saying "Here's Billy, he'll do it for $10 and a Coke".........have fun, bluehead.

So yes......I'm hatin' it from time to time.....but like I said...it's the PEOPLE dude, not so much the job.

"You car dealers are crooks!! My husband, God bless his soul, bought our Cheverolet brand new, with all the accessories, for $600 cash!....$19, 500??? Ridiculous!"

TeeEye7
02-12-2002, 06:20 AM
I think Howdy and SWAFMAN are right. It's all in the perspective. Especially when you are dealing with people.

Many years ago, I worked for American Airlines. My training officer gave me the best advice for that job which can be applied to any job:

"Always be nice. But you don't have to mean it."

Worked for me then. Works for me now. I liked the job with AA, but hated seeing the jerky, demanding business traveler approach my line (he's the bread-and-butter for the airlines...not the pleasure traveler). They were almost always rude because they knew we depended on their flying dollar. Hated the jerks, but other aspects of the job were really cool. Since then, I've applied that advice with my career in law enforecement. I maintain a professional attitude even with the the murderers, child molesters, rapists, and all other scum and villiany I must contend with. I'm civil to them....but I certainly don't mean it. It's part of the job.

Perspective: that's the ticket!

JetsAndHeels
02-12-2002, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. I often need to vent because I don't usually show my frustration while in the workplace.
Like I said before I will be moving and changing jobs in August, so that helps me get through the rough times.
I know that alot of people are not happy with their jobs, and feel the same way I do. There really isnt a perfect job out there (unless SSG hired me).
Anyway thanks again everyone.
MTFBWY

jeddah
02-12-2002, 04:55 PM
"Hate" is a very naughty word to use :D

jeddah

Obi-Don
02-12-2002, 07:36 PM
I have been on the 3rd shift for 6 1/2 years working in a plant. I work as a lead setup now and run my section on the 3rd. Most of the time I feel like I'm babysitting. Well I really can't say that now because I have some really good people now. It seems that all I do is the same thing every night and that life just goes by faster and faster. But I do think about the ones who don't have a job or ones that doesn't pay that well and think I'm lucky. I think the ones who are really lucky in life are the ones who make a living doing what they love. Now that would be great. But when it comes down to it . My life is not my job. I have always told people at work that this is not my life. My life is at home in bed asleep. Yes most jobs suck.That why work is a four letter word,but you have to think about the reason you are working for and not so much on the job its self. It makes the job a little more easier to take. Make your life outside of the work place. You just might be a little more happier and your job a little more bearable.

mrhat
02-12-2002, 09:56 PM
I wish i had a big important job like you all, then again i am only 17, i work at a Chick-Fil-A in a mall, it is stressful, anger inducing, and annoying. I work 2 days a week, if i get lucky, plus i only make 5.65 an hour, so that just makes matters worse, my paychecks are the saddest thing i have ever seen, now that i am trying to save money for an bi-annual Sci-Fi convention (StarFest) i will roll in just enough to cover my planned purchases. The paycheck is the only thing that keeps me going into that place.

bibfortuna
02-12-2002, 10:31 PM
I hate my job right now.

I'm testifying AGAINST the president of the company in a sexual harassment suit against him. So things are a bit, uh, awkward at work right now.

Basically, I'm being watched VERY closely - any screw-ups and they will be all over me. The company is not very big, so I see the pres. of the company all the time. He hasn't spoken a word to me in months (well, I guess THAT part's kind of nice).

I'm currently looking for a new job, but the way things have been lately, it's hard to find work.

Technically it's illegal for them to retaliate against me for testifying against him, but then, it was also illegal for him to do what he did to her...

I figure they'll lay low for a while - it wouldn't do their case much good to fire a witness against them. But, when the case is all over, one way or the other, they'll make sure I'm out of there.

<sigh> and it used to be a pretty good job...

vulcantouch
02-12-2002, 11:23 PM
but don't Just beeyotch; seek cinematic salve for your beeyotch eeyotch, namely in posts 1, 67 and 87 of the hump (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216&perpage=40=40&display=&pagenumber=1), ya hump :cool:

AmanaMatt
02-13-2002, 01:50 PM
I can relate. I work in the Auto insurance field. 'nuff said!

JetsAndHeels
02-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Why can't we all be lucky enough to have jobs like SirSteve has?
I am going to school for computer programming/info systems, but I know I am nowhere close to being able to do something like this.
Hopefully it will all pay off someday.
Until then we all have Star Wars and each other to fall back on.

orion
02-13-2002, 07:01 PM
So much frustration in our lives . . . why is that?

What is the source of frustration?

Frustration is not a characteristic. It is a feeling.

Therefore:

People (such as co-workers or customers) cannot be frustrating.
A job or work environment cannot be frustrating.
Scedules, tasks, life events . . . no, not frustrating.

If something brings us FRUSTRATION it is not because it is frustrating.

It is because we are FRUSTRATED.

So . . .

We cannot hate our jobs.
We cannot hate the people associated with our jobs.
We certainly cannot hate ourselves.

Frustration comes from within, and it is with this understanding, that we are able to remove it.

The awareness that our lives are somewhat inconsistant with our personal goals and dreams should not cause stress and anger.
Rather we must convert this awareness from frustration into a determination to make necessary changes.

Determination will produce accomplishment.

Some of us may envy SirSteve for the job that he has. It seems obvious that his work falls in line with one of his biggest passions.
But, do not fool yourself into thinking that he is more fortunate than us. He is not lucky. His success in life can be attributed to his willingness to chase his goals and achieve the purpose he has created for himself.

Credit belongs to the person responsible - luck is never responsible when it comes to achieving dreams.

Strive to live the life you love, and you will have more love towards the life you live.

I used to have two roommates who both hated their jobs.
But - As long as they could drink beer and watch T.V. when they got home, they could make it through the work day.

We have an interesting ability to adapt to most anything that life throws at us.
Sometimes this ability is a quality that helps us survive.
Sometimes it is a weakness that only helps people accept the destruction of their own spirit.

Those who feel confused, misplaced, or directionless are often given "assurances" from those who have adapted to lifestyles which guarantee almost no personal growth or lasting fulfillment.
It is very disappointing that such advice is meant, and then received, as comfort instead of what it really is - denial.

It is more disappointing when those who are on the verge of understanding true purpose and direction begin to doubt themselves and justify an unsatisfying life rather than confronting life's challenges.

They will say:

"Times are tough. Better hold on to what I've got."

"May not be what I want, but it pays the bills."

"As long as I have _______, I can put up with _______."

"I should be happy with what I have. Many people have less."

The above words represent just a handful of the excuses which prevail today.

Excuses should not comfort us.
Instead, such words should make us fear the ease with which we surrender our true passions and desires - fear the ease with which we replace the meaning in our lives with meaningless things like social praise, material desires, and serving the expectations of others.

To those who honestly appreciate their jobs:
That's wonderful. Congratulations.

To those who honestly can't stand their jobs:
Try to refrain from making your job easier to accept. If you really feel that you are in an invisible prison, hold onto that feeling - you will be more likely to break out.

-Orion