PDA

View Full Version : K-Mart price increase (AKA "Why do they bother?")

Kidhuman
08-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I was in a K-Mart today and they were resetting a toy aisle for action figures. The SW figs were bare, but the sticker said 8.49 for a figure. WTF? That is outrageous. I know where I wont be buying any figs if they all go that high.

Blue2th
08-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I can't believe you actually found a K-Mart that even attempted some kind of organizing of it's toy isle. Talk about a cluster-!@#*. And then when you find anything it's way overpriced. K-Mark sucks.

Beast
08-11-2007, 10:07 PM
They must be jacking up the price to pay workers to organize the aisles.

BWAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, I couldn't say that with a straight face either.

K-Mart has sucked for a long time. But sometimes there's a gem to be found.

But cripes, $8.49 for the figures? That's insane to the extreme. I didn't mind having to pay $10.99 ($9.99 MSRP) for the Sentinel/Wolverine SHS pack... since they're hard to find. But no way I would make regular purchases at K-Marts.

Old Fossil
08-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I was in a K-Mart today and they were resetting a toy aisle for action figures. The SW figs were bare, but the sticker said 8.49 for a figure. WTF? That is outrageous. I know where I wont be buying any figs if they all go that high.

I hope that's not a sign of things to come elsewhere. Talk about driving the line to quick extinction...

Blue2th
08-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Haven't you heard? K-Mart collects action figures for display. My local K-Mart still has a couple of ROTS Mas Ameedas with stickers on them saying something like $7.49
Man if I ran K-Mart's toy department from the corporate level major heads would roll.

Kidhuman
08-12-2007, 12:04 AM
They are a disaster. I meet the kids Dad there so I checked it out. I couldnt believe the price tag. The toy aisles are usually a mess no matter where they are. I usually never see more than 5 employees in a Kmart at a given time

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2007, 12:16 AM
I haven't checked there in a while. They rarely have much. Before ROTS, I used to find something there once in a while, and it was usually only 50 cents more at most I think. When all the other stores first got the ROTS figures, they were MIA from K-Mart.

DarkArtist
08-12-2007, 09:23 AM
K-mart is a hit or miss for me. I usually check it when I am in the East Brunswick / Milltown area but haven't had the urge in the urge. That pricetag is insane though, and as far as the toy aisles are concerned, the last time I checked they still have Saga Palpatine sitting on the pegs. The only time I made out good at K-Mart was the day after the midnight release for AOTC and ROTS. was able to find some of the harder to find figures like AOTC Anakin with battle damage, Red Royal Guard from ROTS and the deluxe Anakin into Vader set.

El Chuxter
08-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I found my McChewie at K-Mart for $6.99.

That was the first toy I'd found there in about two years of visiting regularly, though. They just got in the last Toybiz wave of Marvel Legends.

Ji'dai
08-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I found my McChewie at K-Mart back in mid-June for 6.99 too. Didn't see that figure at Wal-Mart until this past week.

If this price change is national, I won't be buying any more figures at K-Mart. If this trend carries over to TRU and Wal-Mart, I'll stop collecting Hasbro Star Wars.

El Chuxter
08-12-2007, 02:27 PM
If this trend carries over to TRU and Wal-Mart, I'll stop collecting Hasbro Star Wars.

I hadn't even considered that. A $9/figure for SW is too much. Period.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2007, 02:52 PM
I was just noticing in my database how much I paid for the first figures I got when I started collecting in 1999. I was at the mall and decided I would get the Episode I figures. I got some at Target for $6.79, and the rest at KB Toys for $8.99.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2007, 04:59 PM
I noticed a few weeks ago that the Kmart figures were over $8, but they didn't have anything aside from old TSC junk. They had the first wave of TAC first, but have gotten nothing in since then. No wonder they closed down so many stores a few years ago; it's just a miserable place.

Val Da Car
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
I just found a ROTS Clone 3pack (white) there and I am not sure what to think..

TheDarthVader
08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
In the words of the Rainman...K-MART SUCKS!

tagmac
08-20-2007, 08:49 PM
It's actually kinda' funny, but I found a McChewie at two different K-Marts, one yesterday and one today. Since I'd already gotten one at TRU back in June, I left them both.

El Chuxter
12-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I stopped by the Big K tonight. They had some new figures.

However, when I picked one up, I saw a price tag for $8.49. :eek: I thought it was an error, and scanned it. It was no error. The comic packs had gone up, too, to $12.99.

I know there are other large retailers who overcharge. Kohl's has figures at $9.99. However, Kohl's has almost perpetual sales on all toys.

K-Mart is now a full $2 more than the Wal-Mart across the street. It's even considerably more than KB, for God's sake!

Seriously, why do they bother anymore? I used to love K-Mart, and would like to see them make a comeback, but charging 30% more than the competition? They may as well just give up.

Beast
12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I noticed this the other day. I had a $5.00 coupon for K-Mart, so I stopped there to pick up Live Free and Die Hard. It was $24.99, so I had to buy something else. I ended up checking toys, and saw the Concept Snowtrooper. Since I was actually collecting the concept figures, I grabbed one and headed for checkout. Didn't even consider to check the price, as most stores are pretty close to the same. Didn't find out til later that it was $8.49 and my eyes popped out.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Noticed this as well the last time i was there...thats way to much cash to be asked for a action figure...espically a star wars figure. I imagine k-mart is trying to get cash how ever they can to stay alive, since their business is going out like the dinosaurs just a little slower.

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Last night, I had to get a tree stand. Turns out the Christmas tree we bought is monstrously wide for its size. Home Depot and Wal-Mart only had the normal stands, for $8 and $7.50, respectively.

So I went to the dreaded K-Mart. They had the normal stands for $16. Unfortunately, they also had the large ones, but for $30. Sad thing is, the next store that might've been opened at 8:30 is 20 miles away, so I had to get it, even knowing it would've probably been $16 if one of the other stores had had it.

I wonder if they don't realize that charging this much more for items (in this case, probably twice as much) makes them look really, really bad.

It looks like both Sears and K-Mart are getting the worse of the merger. K-Mart now is a discount store with Sears' pricing. And the Searses around here, which used to be fairly nice, are crowded, disorganized messes that look like large K-Marts.

A joining of forces to beat Wal-Mart was a good idea on paper. But it only works if you keep the better qualities of both stores, not the worst.

TheRealDubya
12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Dang, $8.50 is a stiff price. We don't even have any K-Mart's left around here. Used to love that joint as a kid.

However, $8.50 might be a look into the near future of 4" figure collecting. I have read multiple reports that the MSRP for the Indy figs is $7.50, and that the Star Wars line is expected to hit a price increase in '08 as well (around the Clone Wars, perhaps.) Ever increasing petroleum prices and safety tests, thanks to Mattel's blunder. I bet we'll be up around $10 by 2012 for 4" figs.

decadentdave
12-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I haven't bought anything at K-mart in a LONG time. Most of their stores around here closed a few years ago so there are only a couple of them left. I go there maybe once or twice a year just to see if they have anything and they usually don't. Their toy aisle always looks like yesterday's garbage. I always thought they were more expensive than Target or Wal-Mart but higher than Kay-Bee?!?!? Forget it. I will NEVER buy from them again. I hope they do go out of business for good. As long as Big Red stays competitive with Wally then it should help control the prices. I don't think K-mart has ever had any impact on their prices because they don't even see them as a threat to business anymore. There is only one Kay-Bee left in our state now and they don't ever have anything good anyways. I'm still surprised they are even in business. I made a prediction that they would close by the end of the year. I don't know how they can stay open because when I go to the mall they are always DEAD. It's probably costing them more to keep the lights on and pay the one lackey they have minding the store then what they make per day. It will be sad to see all the Kay-Bees close because I remember when they were Circus World but like Lionel Playworld and Children's Palace, times have changed and they are all relics of the past.

Blue2th
12-11-2007, 02:20 PM
They should let me run the K-Mart toy department. Heads would roll right on up to the top if I had my way. I'll bet anyone here with a passion for toys could turn it into a competitive money making venture able to compete with the big three.
Of course, any former burger flipper or minimum wager with any sense could run it better than now.

TheRealDubya
12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I'll bet anyone here with a passion for toys could turn it into a competitive money making venture able to compete with the big three.

I think you nailed it -- how nice would it be if there were some store that had an expert who actually gave a care about their stock, how the aisle looked and made connections with regular customers? That used to be the norm, not the rare exception. If they paid more than $2.00 an hour I might consider doing it myself.

Kidhuman
12-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Me thinks you are a bit late with this thread. :D Merged

El Chuxter
12-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Interesting. Given that JJL's post was in August, they must've been slow telling the local K-Mart about the increase. They were still at $6.99 the last time I was there, about a month ago.

jamesbondo07
12-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I don't understand the price increase either. They just increased the price at my local K-Mart but the price dropped at both Target and Wal-Mart. How do they expect to compete with stores that are $2-$3 cheaper?

Ric Olie
12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
The rumor about a $7.50 retail price for the Indiana Jones basic action figures is disturbing. I was planning to stop collecting Star Wars period next year and focus only on Indy. If Hasbro plans a price point that high I'll only be buying a couple of them.

Bacta Beast
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm afraid we'll see price increase at Wal-Mart and Target after the first of the year. These may influence me to quit collecting Star Wars altogether. I already thought thy were fleecing us buy charging the same for the Lagands line as the new stuff.

Kidhuman
12-18-2007, 07:49 AM
I was in Kmart on Friday night and found a TC-14, only time I really ever saw her. I was debating on paying the 8.50 for it, and said WTF, its been ?F and looking for one for 7 years. When I got to the register, it rang up 6.99 and there were no sales tages around. Maybe its just the shelf tags that are wrong.

Ji'dai
12-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I think K-Mart is running a sale this week on all Hasbro SW stuff, Buy 2 get 1 Free or something like that. My local store still has figures at $6.99, but the only ones they have are Vaders and Clones. I guess people are cloned out here.

TheDarthVader
12-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Do you know what is strange? K-Mart is now scalping. I went into my K Mart yesterday, and they had basic figures for $6.99 (fair enough), but I spotted two UGH gold coin figures: Biggs and Vader. I already have them so I don't need them, but I noticed that K-Mart had marked these two for $9.99. ??????? K-Mart is the worst retail store EVER! I hate K-Mart.

El Chuxter
01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Two observations about a trip to K-Mart tonight:

1) As far as I can tell, Saga Legends are $6.99. TAC are $8.49.

2) They had a bunch of cheap videogames before Christmas. I mean a BUNCH. They still have them, since they're mostly crap games. However, they've marked them up. That's logical. No one bought these for Christmas, and we're stuck with them, so we'll try to get rid of them by marking them all up by $5? Huh?

Captain-DC
01-03-2008, 05:46 AM
K-Mart has been high on prices since they started to close over Half of their K-Mart stores. That was done even before they Bought Sears.

Some say the price increases was due to all those K-Mart stores closing they had to raise their costs to cover all the money they would of got from those stores if they had just left them open.

But back before that you were also able to go any morning when they first opened up and be at the store when they had new stock in and collectors/scalpers were all their to get any new stock figures or even Hot Wheels soon as they opened back in those days. But since they closed all those stores they also quit getting in the new stock as they used to and they no longer seem to stock hardly anything and nothing in the mornings as they used to. These days the stores are dead. And they don't get much stock now. That may be another reason why they try to sell them for more now? Who Knows.

All i know if they keep this up they might as well close the rest of the K-Mart stores also. Because at those price's they can keep them.

I did find last week some 30th Anniversary collector Tins with the 4 Figures in them. Their were three different sets and they said they were K-Mart Exclusives! So i got those in that case. But the prices were 29.99 each! That is just Crazy! They may be Exclusives but still that is uncalled for them to charge that price for those even.

Otherwise i'll just go to Wal-Mart or Target or something. He! He!

By: Captain-DC
01/03/2008