PDA

View Full Version : Woah, woah, woah, hold up... Wicket talks?

BanthaPoodoo
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
OK, I was given a gift of the Star Wars Ewoks Battle For Endor movie.

I had never seen this before so I was excited to watch it.

Not even 4 minutes into the film Wicket was talking in English?? WTF is what I thought. Where did this come from? Was this a joke? Audio dubbing mistake? What gives?

So I did some research.

According to Wookiepedia, this movie takes place in 3 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin), the same time the Rebel base on Hoth is invaded and destroyed by Imperial forces, Boba Fett collects Jabba the Hutt's bounty on Han Solo after delivering Solo encased in carbonite, Luke Skywalker begins training under Yoda, etc., etc.

So this happens before the events in Return Of The Jedi, which takes place in 4 ABY.

What I want to know is, if this movie was written by George Lucas thus making this movie CANON, even though precedent was set that Wicket speaks Ewok in ROTJ in 1983, why in the world did they ever arrive at the fact that now mysteriously in 1985 he can speak English, even though this is supposed to take place before ROTJ in the timeline?

Someone please explain this to me! I just don't get it!

Is there a reasonable explanation for this? Was Wicket just messing with Leia's head? Could he speak English the whole time?

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 03:27 PM
They're not speaking English, but it was translated into English for the benefit of audiences. That's the official stance, dumb as it sounds. But it does make sense.

It could explain why, given how paranoid the other Ewoks were about humans, Wicket immediately bonded with a lone wounded female.

BTW, the timeline on Wookieepedia is a little screwy. If you go over it closely, you'll see some major contradictions. I believe the official date of Battle for Endor puts it right around the same time as ANH or shortly afterward.

I assume, of course, that you are now a card-carrying member of the TEEEEEEEEEEK!! Fan Club.

BanthaPoodoo
12-11-2007, 03:40 PM
I guess I can go along with that reasoning, even though it sounds like a way to cover their rear ends.

Teek was awesome.

I was like dang that guy can move FASSSSSTTTTTT!!!

Interesting movie to say the least. Not to high on the whole magic ring transforming raven witch thing though, that was a little odd & not very "Star Warsy"

Droid
12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Those movies were terrible and I don't care who wrote them they are NOT canon.

Isn't one of the characters even from Earth?

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 04:00 PM
No one is from Earth. And these movies rock. They're better than the Prequels by far, Star Warsy or not.

BanthaPoodoo, you need to flip the disc and watch Caravan of Courage. It takes place first and isn't nearly as good, but you'll get to meet Chuka-Trokh, the bad-a**est Ewok to ever live. If he and Teek had been in ROTJ, well, the Rebels would've arrived and said, "Dude, where's the Death Star? Oh, you two destroyed it and completely eliminated the Empire all by yourselves? Cool! Let's just skip to the celebration scene."

bigbarada
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I think after ROTJ Lucas was getting desperate to try to turn the Ewoks into the next mass-market craze. Having Wicket speak in the Ewok films was probably a way to endear him to audiences more, since it would be ratings suicide to have a TV movie where the main character speaks in an alien language, especially in 1986.

I believe it was more about caving in to television conventions than making a story that would fit in the film continuity.

The most logical explanation is that Wicket had a stroke shortly before ROTJ which would explain his loss of memory and hitting himself in the head with rocks during the Battle of Endor.:yes:

Rocketboy
12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Wicket said "No!" in Jedi.
You couldn't understand him in the rest of the movie because his mouth was full of the crackers that Leia gave him.

stillakid
12-11-2007, 07:51 PM
If you go over it closely, you'll see some major contradictions.

Well, that doesn't sound at all like Star Wars.... :grin:

2-1B
12-12-2007, 12:46 AM
I don't mind him speaking English, I mind the transforming ring. Ditto the magic lake where the ugly kid gets trapped.

decadentdave
12-12-2007, 12:55 AM
No one is from Earth. And these movies rock. They're better than the Prequels by far, Star Warsy or not.

I'd rather watch repeated viewing strapped in a straight jacket with my eyelids wired open of Phantom Menace before I ever see one of those ****** Ewok movies ever again. Those are about as much fun as slitting your wrists and dying a slow, cold death.

El Chuxter
12-12-2007, 10:27 AM
At least Kaink doesn't fart on Noa while Teek is stepping in blurrrg poop and Chuka-Trokh kicks Widdle in the crotch and says, "Exqueeze me? Are you brain dead?"

The retroactive explanation for the ring, which makes a little sense, is that Charal is a Dathomirian Nightsister who escaped Dathomir and somehow wound up with the Marauders. The Nightsisters were the descendants of Force-sensitive prisoners sent to Dathomir who, over the period of hundreds of years, interbred with the local tribes. By the time you get to the present, their descendants still have powers, but think they're magic and require spells and talismans. In other words, Charal would be able to turn back into a person if she wasn't so misinformed about the nature of her powers.

I say screw the explanations and enjoy. That's what Noa does. And if Noa does it, it's the right thing to do! Now eat your oatmeal so you don't get diabetus.

2-1B
12-12-2007, 09:36 PM
So she's basically Zam Wessell in a fright wig.

Got it.