PDA

View Full Version : What is up with AFA graded figures on HasbroToyShop.com

jamesbondo07
12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I see they started selling the Mcquarre Obi and Yoda and the Pink R2 as AFA graded. I really do not like the idea of selling AFA graded figures on there website. It could make hard figures to find even harder just because they want in on the AFA money.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Wow, this is a double edged sword, AFA is cool for hardcore "my toys are going to be worth money some day people", but then there are those people who could care less about their service, i wonder why hasbro would stoop down to that level...but it's hasbro and nothing surprises me with them concerned.

BanthaPoodoo
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I think graded anything is totally rediculous.

waboritas
12-11-2007, 03:53 PM
They may be AFA graded prior to shipping, but anyone who knows HTS' shipping issues will know they may go out that way, but it is highly unlikely they will reach the consumer that way. Good luck. Oh, and why would anyone in their right mind pay $130 for a $7 figure that is already overpriced at $15/pop? The economy must be a lot better than it actually is....

Luuuuuuke
12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I just think it's a joke, an excuse to squeeze out even more money out of collectors. For a real laugh, look at what sites like Toywiz charge for AFA graded figures.

I could give a flip about "graded" toys. I barely care if they're mint on card.

I don't get people buying this stuff as an investment. I open 90% of what I buy and the rest, like McQuarrie figures, I'm perfectly happy to keep one of each in the card, as long as the card is okay looking.

jedi master sal
12-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I just think it's a joke, an excuse to squeeze out even more money out of collectors. For a real laugh, look at what sites like Toywiz charge for AFA graded figures.

I could give a flip about "graded" toys. I barely care if they're mint on card.

I don't get people buying this stuff as an investment. I open 90% of what I buy and the rest, like McQuarrie figures, I'm perfectly happy to keep one of each in the card, as long as the card is okay looking.

That about sums it up for me too. Most of my stuff is opened (albeit carefully catalogued). What minimal stuff I have left carded I take good care of and don't need to pay someone to tell me if it's mint or not.

I've been collecting just as long as those who run AFA, I think I've got a good bead on if my stuff is in good condition.

Besides, I don't ever plan on selling off my collection. A few scant extras here and there, but not the majority of it. That will only happen when I die, so it won't matter to me. And I don't want to give whomever gets my collection the added headache of trying to sell a graded figure when there really isn't a huge market for it.

Blue2th
12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Yup, Hasbro wants to sell AFA graded figures, yet everything I order from them comes damaged. Usually from the packing monkeys they have working for them putting in too many airpacks and the figures bubbles are crushed.
I've got some figures from Wave 8 arriving in a few days. I fully expect them damaged as usual. That's why I order them as extras to be opened.

How about just charging us maybe $1.00 extra so they can pay a supervisor in the shipping department.
HTS what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah? What's up with YOUR MOM?!?!?

Blue2th
12-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh yeah? What's up with YOUR MOM?!?!?
If your talking to me, she's DEAD Why?

TheRealDubya
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I like graded stuff. I plan on getting my McQ's cased up in 2008 sometime, and I have gotten all my VOTC/VTSC/VTAC cased, as well as some of my more valuable/beloved vintage loose pieces. My insurance provider certainly thought it was wise when I audited my collection with them.

But I don't like this "style" of cases (the so-called Clearview.) I prefer the Classic view.

I don't see any harm in HTS selling these for the collector who wants them, so long as they maintain a supply of the same items ungraded. I think they have given everyone more than enough time to get the Obi-Wan and Yoda ungraded. (I'll bet these don't post until after the HOLIDAY20 code expires.)

And yes, HTS needs to take some packing and shipping classes from UPS. Something tells me they will taken more care with premium items like these; keep in mind that these McQ's would normally ship in the "Star Cases" anyway.

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Woah, woah, woah. I wasn't talking to anyone in particular. I was just throwing out the childish response to any "What is up with _____?" statements. My apologies.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I've never had a problem with HTS shipping me damaged merchandise, i always thought they done a realtive good job, god knows i've seen alot worse.

Blue2th
12-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Woah, woah, woah. I wasn't talking to anyone in particular. I was just throwing out the childish response to any "What is up with _____?" statements. My apologies.

My apologies Chux.

K M Toydarian
12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Now, I don't know ANYTHING about how AFA works or the grading scale, but they have coming soon, Obi/Yoda graded 9.0 and 9.5. If they are the manufacturer, can't they produce a perfect 10 graded figure. If they can't, no one can. And since these come in a Star Case already, it can't be too hard to get a perfect one for almost 200 buck.:tired:

jamesbondo07
12-11-2007, 11:31 PM
The packing is horrible I had one package where they folded the card in half to get it in the box. It's a good thing I didn't want to keep that one on card.

Blue2th
12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Sorry again to all here at SSG for my over the top- jumping to conclusion- response to Chux's joke (sorry again too Chux)
I was having a bad day etc.

I noticed after this thread a while ago HTS stopped selling the AFA graded McQuarrie Ben & Yoda.
Maybe they sold out or?

Anyways I hope they at least do a better job at trying to pack our figures.

Other than that, It really is a good thing to be able to order SW figures from HTS when they are in stock, and I for one appreciate it.

BTW: McQuarrie Han is back in stock.

TheRealDubya
12-19-2007, 05:47 PM
These are back up on HTS, BTW, under the heading "Graded Collectibles." Let the flaming begin!

K M Toydarian
12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
I still think it's a little tacky to be selling a graded R2-KT figure for a markup. This was tied with a charitable cause, and unless the proceeds from the markup figures are going to Make-A-Wish, I am way turned off. The regular figure is still available.
Offering it graded and perfect is one thing, but having different levels and prices says someone is making money which kinda of goes against the spirit of the figure.
Buy if you want, I don't have a problem if anyone does, but I'd rather give Make-A-Wish $100 bucks and get a 15 dollar figure (that is in a case anyway.)

jamesbondo07
12-19-2007, 08:47 PM
$120 for a AFA graded ObiWan and Yoda. Wow!!!! Who can afford figures of that price?

Blue2th
12-20-2007, 06:29 AM
$120 for a AFA graded ObiWan and Yoda. Wow!!!! Who can afford figures of that price?

That's nothing compared to what HTS wants for this http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=520&SBR=539&ID=20919

Of course these are already high$$ and hard to find.

Luuuuuuke
12-20-2007, 11:02 PM
That's nothing compared to what HTS wants for this http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=520&SBR=539&ID=20919

Of course these are already high$$ and hard to find.

Is that even different from the wave 5 gold head Destro? I mean, apart from the convention exclusive sticker.

El Chuxter
12-21-2007, 12:25 AM
It's the "Pimp Daddy" version from Comic-Con. He has the leopard-print pants and trim.

Mvader91
12-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Not to get off point, how about Brian's Toys Preselling AFA 10,9.5,9.0? How can you predict a 10. I personally enjoy AFA graded "vintage" figures to preserve them for my own liking. That to me smells a little suspect?

Luuuuuuke
12-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Not to get off point, how about Brian's Toys Preselling AFA 10,9.5,9.0? How can you predict a 10. I personally enjoy AFA graded "vintage" figures to preserve them for my own liking. That to me smells a little suspect?

That does sound suspect. They probably assume they'll get at those grades, but how could you? I think it's all B.S. But I'm a loose collector.