PDA

View Full Version : Vader and Tarkin - friends?

Rocketboy
12-11-2007, 09:01 PM
From A New Hope:

VADER: He is here...
TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think so?
VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the
presence of my old master.
TARKIN: Surely he must be dead by now.
VADER: Don't underestimate the power of the Force.
TARKIN: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.
You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.I really wish George Lucas had explored this friendship more, either in the PT or by referring to the friendship in Empire. It would have shed a lot more light on Vader.

Was Vader devastated by the brutal murder of Tarkin at the hands of the rebels?
Were they BFFs?
Or was it a "work friendship?"
And why isn't there anything more written about this friendship in the EU?

Kidhuman
12-11-2007, 09:18 PM
They did work together for awile, so they had to get some beers after work and the Christmas party must have been a doozy

2-1B
12-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Tarkin's first name is Kittster, they grew up together on Tattooine. So really Rocketboy, it was all there for you to see in the PT. I'm surprised you missed it.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey Rocketboy, have you read 'Death Star' yet? They actually go into how they feel about each other just a little, from both of their perspectives. I won't say anything just in case you haven't read .

It's a great book, new perspective on things and a fast read!

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 02:07 AM
I always felt it was more a turn of phrase than an actual friendship, like when Obi-Wan sees R2 in the Tatooine desert and says "come here my little friend". Granted, the prequeloids now want to claim there's more to that than ever was intended, but I don't buy it.

decadentdave
12-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Come on, everybody can see that Tarkin and Vader are ambiguously gay bondage lovers. Even Leia can see it which is why she says "Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash..." Vader is Tarkin's gimp.

And let's not forget Vader's feelings for Obi-Wan: "I sense something... a presence I've not felt since..."

Vader is clearly torn between his feelings for the two.

DarthQuack
12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey Rocketboy, have you read 'Death Star' yet? They actually go into how they feel about each other just a little, from both of their perspectives. I won't say anything just in case you haven't read .

It's a great book, new perspective on things and a fast read!

Great book indeed, just finished it a few days ago myself...now reading Darth Bane.

CaptainSolo1138
12-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Tarkin is the reason Vader got the butt flap installed on his suit. O yes.

Rocketboy
12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I always felt it was more a turn of phrase than an actual friendship, like when Obi-Wan sees R2 in the Tatooine desert and says "come here my little friend". Granted, the prequeloids now want to claim there's more to that than ever was intended, but I don't buy it.But at least now there's some backstory to it (we see they actually had a history together), where the Vader/Tarkin friendship is clearly implied with Tarkin's quote, has never been touched upon in any other sources.

Lucas really blew the opportunity to introduce the two to each other at the end of Revenge of the Sith, but instead he had the bobble-head Tarkin stand-in just walk away when Vader approached.

stillakid
12-14-2007, 05:32 PM
he had the bobble-head Tarkin stand-in just walk away when Vader approached.

I cringe every time I see that shot of lil' Tarkin. The movement is so stilted and "precise." That actor has about five seconds of screen time and I can just see him rehearsing every movement that he's going to do. "Ok, first the arm goes down, nooooww, swing the arm and step and step and step...." sigh

decadentdave
12-14-2007, 07:10 PM
But at least now there's some backstory to it (we see they actually had a history together), where the Vader/Tarkin friendship is clearly implied with Tarkin's quote, has never been touched upon in any other sources.

Lucas really blew the opportunity to introduce the two to each other at the end of Revenge of the Sith, but instead he had the bobble-head Tarkin stand-in just walk away when Vader approached.

There's a backstory alright... lol

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
But at least now there's some backstory to it (we see they actually had a history together), where the Vader/Tarkin friendship is clearly implied with Tarkin's quote, has never been touched upon in any other sources.

Lucas really blew the opportunity to introduce the two to each other at the end of Revenge of the Sith, but instead he had the bobble-head Tarkin stand-in just walk away when Vader approached.Honestly, I don't think it's that "clearly implied" of a friendship, I've heard people spit "my friend" in similar manners when they obviously mean the opposite. Plus, I would have really hated another "Obi-Wan Kenobi, meet Anakin Skywalker" moment from the prequels that doesn't live up to the suggestion that the OT had carefully crafted to suggest more.

PT Tarkin was a huge mistake though, they had an actor that could have chewed some scenery like mad too (he was the chief villain on Farscape) and instead he's just a do-nothing character-cameo.

Turambar
12-23-2007, 09:45 PM
I guess I never really thought much about that line in the movie, but as JT mentioned, it may be the opposite of "friend."
At least I would expect Tarkin has no love for Vader being that he kills so many of his officers on a whim, hehe. I look at Tarkin as a military/political figure who's clawed his way to the top, and is not happy about Vader being sent to the station to enforce the emperor's will. Its kind of a sneer in that line, "you my friend are all that's left of their religion" like he's talking down to Vader for using "ancient weapons and hokey religions".
The test of Tarkin's authority is a tense moment when he saves one of his boys from Vader at the council table, too. It seems he must put up with Vader since he's the emperor's henchman despite being the commander of the station, and I doubt he's too happy about that.
Interesting to ponder the meaning of that line, though.

Slicker
12-23-2007, 10:11 PM
I kinda thought along the lines of RB. They've known each other for some 20 years and they would've HAD to develop something other than a professional relationship. Why else would Vader let Tarkin be in control? It's a professional courtesy to not step on someone's toes and Vader doesn't do that with Tarkin. The part about Vader chokin' Motti was brought up. Would anyone other than the Emperor or Tarkin be able to get away with telling Vader to stop? Not at all.

I'm not saying they go frollicking in the park together but they may go out on power lunches or smoke cigars and drink brandy together.

Rocketboy
12-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm think it is more like "friends" (of the "with benefits" variety).

Slicker
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm think it is more like "friends" (of the "with benefits" variety).I wasn't going that far. I was thinking more along the lines of a very serious platonic friendship. Maybe some slight touching and groping but that's the extent of it...

Rocketboy
12-23-2007, 10:21 PM
I wasn't going that far. I was thinking more along the lines of a very serious platonic friendship. Maybe some slight touching and groping but that's the extent of it...It was like that...until that one night after the annual Imperial Life Day Ball on Coruscant when Palpatine spiked the punch with some of his wicked homemade Sith moonshine.
Anyway, one thing led to another and...well, let's just say Vader wasn't the only breathing heavy that night.

2-1B
12-23-2007, 10:59 PM
stillakid, I just got kicked out of a bar for looking at those pics on my wireless laptop and puking all over the place.

there is a cut scene that didn't make it to the ROTS DVD of Tarkin and Vader meeting for the first time and Tarkin saying to Vader, "Maybe wesa being friends" - it was a nice rhyme to the first episode of the saga but it was cut for some reason. I think it woulda been cool to leave it in there...maybe when the Archival Editions are out on BluRay they will put it back in ???

jjreason
12-27-2007, 11:16 AM
I think they both put up with each other for political reasons, both secretly thinking the other is a kiss-*** to the Emperor.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2007, 02:37 PM
The Death Star novel that came out this year explores this question. They both actually despise each other but also have a fear of the Emperor, as well as the realization that together they are more powerful than apart. The two can benefit from the other's skills and contacts, as well.

And, the SW Christmas decorations for sale this season had a DV snowglobe where he marks off the "naughty/nice" names (for one allied with the Empire, of course); there's a gift tag labeled "To: Tarkin," so he at least is polite with the Grand Moff. :D

2-1B
12-27-2007, 07:10 PM
The Death Star novel that came out this year explores this question. They both actually despise each other but also have a fear of the Emperor, as well as the realization that together they are more powerful than apart. The two can benefit from the other's skills and contacts, as well.

Just like The Gungans / The Naboo as well as Living Things / Midichlorians !!! lol

Bel-Cam Jos
12-28-2007, 08:59 PM
The symbiote [sp?] circle is now complete. Your less-than-20,000-midichlorian-count powers are weak, old man.

stillakid
12-28-2007, 09:05 PM
The symbiote [sp?] circle is now complete. Your less-than-20,000-midichlorian-count powers are weak, old man.

"You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, my Midichlorians will leak all over your floor and blow up the Death Star from the inside out."