PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of TAC - wave 5

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Continuing with our "best figure of 2007" poll series...

Which figure do you consider the best from TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) basic wave 5?

Remember, you can use whatever criteria you wish, it's entirely up to you. Maybe you just like the coin, or you were glad to find it, or its articulation was perfect, or you found one painted flawlessly. Whatever makes it the best in your book is fair game.

When we get to the end of the line, we'll put the winners up against each other.

And if you haven't voted in the Wave 4 poll (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36707) yet, it'll be open until the 15th.

El Chuxter
12-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Hard to believe, but I had to pick Pre-Cyborg Grievous over both Hermi and the Kybuck, two of my favorite figures. Aside from the lackluster C-3PO and the moronic Darth Luthor and Darth Cobra Commander, this was an amazing wave, one of the best of all time.

But that Grievous. Wow. I was going to pass on him like I had with Luthor and Cobra Commander, but just one look at him had me sold. That figure is absolutely beautiful.

Tycho
12-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I had to vote for Herme Odle.

1) SSG Figure-Never-Made-Before vote winner.

2) huge figure - though bigger is not necessarily better - it's just historically worked out that way with Star Wars figures.

That being said, Herme's paint application is a little cartoony instead of dark and homicidal which is more of how he appeared in "Return of the Jedi."

However, Wave 5 is definitely the best assortment shipped by Hasbro this year.

I had no plans to buy Yoda on the Kybuck, but it turned out pretty cool.

Roron Corob is fun though - yet I could've lived without him, too.

Pre-Cyborg Grievous was another that I never asked for, but as Chuxter pointed out - this was a brilliantly executed figure. I bought him for Tatooine diorama filler as "some other Kaleesh" (not the real Grievous). But he's just awesome to have.

I am not a KOTOR fan (I don't dislike it either - I've just never taken time to get into it and have no plans to) so the Sith Lords are nothing I asked for. That being said, I actually don't think they turned out that great. I didn't buy either of them.

Anakin? Well I'm sort of sick of Anakin figures. It's a little bit better than another shirtless Darth Maul :rolleyes: Thanks, but no thanks. I skipped Anakin.

C-3PO is another that I'm surprised I bought. He turned out really good.

The Starkiller figure is just spectacular and great for use on multiple planet dioramas as a scene filling extra. I'm not a McQuarrie figure collector, but she turned out to be the most useful of all the McQuarrie offerings and was very well-made. I never asked for her, thus she is not winning my vote. But I went to a lot of trouble to get multiples of her and I'm very glad I did. But again, if they made "The Random Moisture Farmer Action Figure" I'd probably be equally excited, though I understand that has even less appeal to some of you than Wilrow Hood ICMG.

bigbarada
12-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Hermi Odle - Easy one for me. The figure that I've been looking forward to the most this year and he turned out great! Great sculpt, even though I agree with Tycho in that it seems that Hasbro tried to soften him up a bit. The best use of soft-goods I've ever seen in a 3 3/4" figure and a weapon that isn't made of overly soft, bendy plastic.

As for the rest of this wave, if I had any inclination at all to complete the coin album, this wave broke me of that. I just couldn't see buying so many non-movie figures just to fill out that album. Thus, Darth Revan, Roron Corob, Darth Malak, Yoda/Kybuck, pre-Borg Grievous and Anakin held absolutely no interest for me.

I bought the Threepio for the Salacious Crumb only and stuck the little Muppet on Ephant Mon.

The Starkiller Hero is the only real runner-up for me in this wave. She's a great figure, easily one of the best in recent years; but she's just no Hermi Odle.

obi-dad
12-12-2007, 04:26 PM
This one wasn't even close for me. Hands down Hermi. I was suprised with the Yoda and whatever it is. I wasn't going to buy him, but when I saw the execution, I had to. I haven't opened up the package yet, but it looks awesome in the card. That's probably my 2nd favorite. When I first saw pics of 3PO I was really excited, until someone pointed out that to have his eye in the socket, you have a chunk of plastic hanging out the back. This could have been much better executed with 2 heads, but oh well. Didn't buy the Anakin and wasn't going to buy the Sith. I play KOTOR, but am not a big EU figure buyer...maybe just because they were new and different Sith than the same 4-5 we've had over the last 30 years (Vader, Palp, Maul, Dooku, ... more for my memory not for you guys, but I'm leaving it in). Anyway... Yoda is such a distant 2nd, he's almost in 3rd.

sebillba
12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
It's hard for me to vote on this wave (and all future waves) as I've got to wait till Christmas for them all. It already looks like Hermi will trounce all the opposition, but the two I'm most looking forward to are Grievous and Yoda. I'll probably change my mind later, but right now, the one I'm most excited about, and hence the one that gets my vote, is Yoda & Kybuck.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Hermi Odle, Grievous, and Yoda & Kybuck are all exceptional, but I chose Yoda & Kybuck.

Battle Droid
12-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Pre-Cyborg Grievous

TheRealDubya
12-12-2007, 05:48 PM
This was the hardest choice for me. I really liked the entire wave, head to toe. I picked Hermie just because, ya know, he's a huge, heavy, nasty, mouth cancer looking, hunchbacked critter. But I also loved the Yoda & Kybuck (love the back sheath and hoodie) and the Grevious, just for the sheer cool of it.

But Hermie, he's my No. 1 pick.

Also -- JT, will we doing the VTAC as part of these Wave polls?

TheDarthVader
12-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I voted for Hermie. If you collect star wars figures, you have to love these new jabba palace and cantina figures. They are the diamond in the rough for me.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Hermi all the way.

Close second is StarKiller Hero

third is threepio - such a great idea putting SBC on his back

Old Fossil
12-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Wave 5 was not my favorite wave by a long shot. None of the figures were must-haves, save Starkiller Hero, and that was just to complete the Concept figure series.

That being said, I went with Hermi Odle. Best value overall. Also, Hasbro obviously put a lot of extra effort into him, and I appreciate that, even if it's not a figure on my wish list. I also liked Roron Corrob and Yoda, but they don't quite measure up to Hermi.

Kidhuman
12-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I picked Pre-Cyborg Grievous. I love Hermie, Starkiller and the Kybuck, but PCG is flat out awesome. Like cux, I wanted to pass on it until I saw it in person. Any figure that makes me do a 180 is top in my books

dindae
12-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Hermi Odle - Been at the top of my want list since Ephant Mon was made so this was a no brainer.

C-3PO & Salacious Crumb - I'm more pleased with Salicious than 3po

Roron Corobb - good figure

Yoda & Kybuck - i really like the figure and could have gotten a vote in anouther wave

Anakin Skywalker - meh I would be more excited if i didn't already have the animated figure

Darth Revan & Darth Malak - not sure if i finished either game but the figures themselves are ok

Pre-Cyborg Grievous - this figure has a lot of good detail and the height is accurate.

Concept Starkiller Hero - another great figure

This was a good wave for me over all. My main complaints are weaker character choices but we are at that point in the barrel where one person's "gotta have" figure is another "what the %^#! was Hasbro thinking" figure.

jedibear
12-12-2007, 11:20 PM
This was the hardest wave so far to pick just one figure from.

I think it's the best wave of the collection...it has something for everyone...
The gamers get not one, but two characters from a classic game, fans of the Clone Wars get three cool entries, a familiar character gets an interesting makeover (Threepio), another excellent entry in the McQuarrie line, the stunning concept figure of Pre-Cyborg Grievous jumps successfully from the "Visionaries" graphic novel as a great figure and finally, most stunning of all is the well-crafted and too-cool denizen of Jabba's palace, Herme Odle that older collectors have been waiting for to add to their throne room displays...

This wave was the high point of variety and fun for this collection for me...
Hasbro really effectively went off the beaten track here and it was great.
Granted, not every figure in it may have been every collector's "cup of tea", but it least it wasn't chock full of rehashes and resculpts of the same ole' characters...

plasticfetish
12-13-2007, 01:18 AM
A good wave! I skipped some: 3PO, Yoda, Anakin. Am still looking for some: Starkiller (only figure that I haven't seen at all), Grievous (saw him once and didn't buy him. Boo-hoo.) Bought the rest and like them all.

Hermi Odle gets my vote, for simply being waaaay more fun that I would imagine he'd be.

I'm also really happy with Roron Corobb, and though I'm a huge fan of the KOTOR games, and like the Revan and Malak figures very much, I'm more than willing to admit that they're not as great as they could (should) have been. Still though... I'm pleased that Hasbro made them happen. Right now they're the only figures out on my desk. :)

jediguy
12-13-2007, 07:03 AM
I voted for Hermie
Jabba's Palace was one of my favorite locales in ROTJ, and I'm glad to see new characters and not slight repaints or reposes of figures we already have
(I think we are up to 4 Lukes for that now, including the hologram Luke that sucked big time)
Starkiller Hero was a close second, she looks great with and without all the accessories
I loved the clone wars cartoon, and the Yoda with Kybuck was awesome
Anakin was fairly accurate, and Roron Corobb was a nice addition as well
I am looking forward to getting a figure from each character from the cartoons
I haven't played KOTOR and I don't know much about it, but I got both figures anyway and I am pleased with them for the most part
the C-3PO with SBC was an interesting idea, but I liked SBC more than good old 3PO
the Pre Cyborg Grievous looks like something from Doctor Suess when that mask comes off, and his goofy preposed arms were a disappointment for what could have been a great figure

Ji'dai
12-13-2007, 08:31 AM
This one is tough. My top three are Hermi, Grievous, and Starkiller. I wanted Grievous and Hermi as soon as I saw pics online and didn't hesitate to buy them when I found them on the pegs. Unlike the figures in the rest of the line, Starkiller remains the rarest and hardest to find for me. The two I have are the only ones I've seen.

So I have to go with Starkiller since I love a good female action figure and I've been a fan of the McQuarrie artwork since I was kid. Grievous would rank second, followed closely by Hermi, which turned out a little too cartoony.

I passed on Roron and Anakin, but only because they weren't sculpted in the Clone Wars cartoon style. I did buy Yoda with Kybuck only because I thought it was a good value.

3PO/Salacious wasn't all that great. I usually pass on figures with action features these days, but the little imp is articulated so I got one.

I like EU and will usually buy figures based on that source material. I got both Revan and Malak, although I really have no idea who they are.

jedi master sal
12-13-2007, 09:18 AM
This was the hardest wave so far to pick just one figure from.

I think it's the best wave of the collection...it has something for everyone...

You hit the nail on the head here.

I'm still having a tough time deciding which on to vote for.

Hermi Odle-Awesome huge figure and WORTH the money paid for him. His skin color looks wrong, however I really dig the soft goods on him.
C-3PO & Salacious Crumb-Nice touch with the eye, though I can see that getting broken if not displayed or packed away carefully. Salacious was a good accessory and actually had some articulation!
Roron Corobb-He is one of the three alien Jedi Masters made up specifically for the Clone Wars animated cartoon. I have a special "affection" for him as I wrote a story of an Ithorian Jedi (Me in the SW galaxy). However, while a decent figure, he didn't get my top pick.
Yoda & Kybuck-Awesome! Heck, I didn't even need the Yoda, the Kybuck was enough. That being said, Yoda was done well enough. This could have easily been a deluxe set at $10. This is one in the running for my vote.
Anakin Skywalker-meh, ok so he's filler for a very spcific clone wars animated diorama. Not exciting.
Darth Revan-I had been waiting for KOTOR figs from when I first played the game. While I'm disappointed at the choice of sculpt of this figure, I understand why Hasbro did it (being that there are infinite amounts of variants that could have been done). So making a masked non-gender specific one was the way to go. This being said, it's a good sculpt and makes for a great Tusken Clan leader when repainted in their colors. Solid figure, just not the top spot.
Darth Malak-Darth Trapjaw...the metal jaw was way to big, IMO. Ok figure, just lacking a bit in the execution. This was not my favorite character in the game, so he didn't get my top spot. Heck I even passed on getting his GG mini bust, and I almost NEVER pass up busts.
Pre-Cyborg Grievous-Decent figure, just not my cup-o-tea he's the right size though and that is how big the movie version action figure SHOULD be. Good sculpt but the perm bent elbows killed it's chances with me.
Concept Starkiller Hero-The third one of the ones I like the most in this wave. Articulation is excellent if not perfect. Being able to take off the headstrap and/or chest pack makes it almost a different figure. This figure begs to be customed (if you're lucky enough to find extras)

So my top three are Hermi, Kybuck, and the Starkiller figure.....

So here's my dilema, do I pic a concept fig that noone other than hardcore fans really know or care about? Do I pick and EU Yoda that was only in one episode of the cartoon and at that for a very short time. Or, do I go with the one who was actually in a movie, but the paint on the fig just isn't quite right.

Kybuck and Hermi offer value due to their size. For that one reason I can see why Hasbro hasn't made a bunch of these and subsequently why we're having such a hard time finging them on the pegs. I really can't discount the Starkiller figure as I really like the execution of it.

I'm still mulling over my vote as I type this. I have a side by side comparison and can think of reasons why all three should get my vote.

Ok so I've started to reason out who to not vote for and why.

Kybuck-while it's a cool sculpt and huge, the Kybuck itself doesn't have much articulation and Yoda while decent enough isn't perfect either. Hate to see it knocked from the list, but it's the first to go.

Hermi-while I've wanted this figure for a little while, it was never at the top of my list. Yes it's a movie figure, so that's a big reason why I held out so long on taking him from the list, but ultimately had to.

So my vote goes to the Starkiller figure. Why....strange as it may seem, it feels the MOST SW to me, even though it's the one of the three that never made it on screen big or small. I think it's versatility in display and huge potential for customizing helped. That and the relative scarcity of it compared to the others of this wave make me feel like it was a challenge to get and therefore more worth it than the other two. Finally the articulation on it is superior to the other two.

So after some thought, it's the [b]Starkiller figure that gets my pick for this wave.
though I think Hermi and Kybuck could give some of the other figs from different waves a run for their money, so to speak.

-Sal

Jaff
12-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Hermi without a doubt. I only bought three figs from this wave: 3PO, Hermi, and Starkiller, however I was impressed with Darth Raven, and pre-cyborg grievous.

BobaPhlegm
12-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Voted Hermi, mainly because he's the only one I've been able to find so far. But even without having the others in hand, I know he's the one to pick since I've wanted him for so long. As a kid, he was my second favortie Jabba's palace alien after Ephant Mon and I remember hearing rumors almost 10 years ago of a Jabba's palace cinema scene consisting of Ephant, Hermi, and Amanaman that nearly made me pass out from excitement. Nearly a decade later, we finally have all three (although I never found Ephant at retail and haven't gotten around to going to eBay to get one yet).

Cane_Adiss
12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
This was one of the best waves of the year! Had a difficult time finding most of the figures in the wave, but I passed on a few of the ones I did find. (Ranked favorite to least favorite.)

1. Hermi Odle ~ This one was actually an easy find for me, and the best figure in the wave. Never thought we'd get him after the Ephant Mon issues. While not the most authentic, he's a great toy.
2. Roron Corobb ~ I have a special interest in the Ithorian species, and when this character was created I told myself "I must have a figure of him!". And here we are. Nicely done for the most part, but I have issues with the size of his head, his bright blue eyes and his disappointing elbow articulation.
3. Starkiller Hero ~ I've never seen this one in the wild, and it's the only figure in the wave I really wanted that I still don't have. She looks fantastic. I want two.
4. Darth Malak ~ I'm not the biggest EU fan out there, and I'm not too familiar with the character. This wasn't at the top of my personal want list but, along with Revan and Grievous, was an impulse buy when I saw him. Pretty well done, tho not as tall as he should be I think.
5. Pre Cyborg Grievous ~ A cool new alien! Very nice. Will use him in my Jabba's Palace diorama. I'm a bit disappointed with his 90 degree elbows tho.
6. C3p0 and Salacious Crumb ~ I was excited for this when I first saw photos, but after you get it out of the package that excitement was lost a little. 3PO is a figure we've all seen before with new paint and a new head. Crumb is an all new accessory type figure with bizzarely posed legs that you can't really do too much with even tho they are ball jointed. Would have preferred a sitting figure a-la Sideshow's 12'' scale figure.
7. Darth Revan ~ As the fan's choice figure, I was kindof expecting more in terms of paint and articulation, and was disappointed all around. While decent to look at he/she is not really a fun toy and cannot stand very well either.
8. Yoda and Kybuck ~ The kybuck looks really slick, but I do not need another Yoda. I passed on this one.
9. Anakin Skywalker ~ I passed on this one too. Decent figure but I hate this character. Nuff said.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Well this was a hard one, and the best wave of the year--Bar none--.

It came down for me Yoda and Kybuck, Starkiller, Hermi and Malack.

And after looking at each figure i gotta say Starkiller just because like someone else has already said this figure just has way to many uses for dioramas, and well just looks great.

Yoda, a great figure and not a bad figure of yoda overall, and the kybuck was really cool.
Hermi, a really cool figure but he just wasn't dark enough for what i expected.
Malack, my second favorite figure of the wave. Just a cool toy if he had a soft goods cloak he would have gotten my vote hands down.

Snowtrooper
12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
I voted for Herml just slightly over Yoda & Kybuck. As others have pointed out, its a pretty large figure and is one of those background characters that alot of us have been wanting for some time. The details really managed to capture the ugliness of this character. Its definitely one of the ugliest SW figures ever made. The soft goods are very well executed on it, perhaps the best of all time. The articulation and non-rubbery weapon are also big pluses. The only minor complaint I have is that its coloring is a bit cartoonish.

1. Herml Odle
2. Yoda & Kybuck-I really like the Kybuck. They did a good job making a "realistic" figure from a cartoon. If Yoda could sit on it worth a damn, it might have been first.
3. Anakin Skywalker-I was expecting to hate this one, but it really surprised me when I saw it in person.
4. Darth Revan-I'm not into EU much, but I thought this was a neat looking figure.
5. Darth Malak-The missing jaw under the mask made this a cool figure.
6. Starkiller Hero-Another nice McQuarrie figure, but not as exciting as previous ones.
7. Roronn Corobb-Although its pretty simple, its another one that I liked more than I originally thought I would.
8. Pre-Cyborg Grievous-Although its a nicely done figure, for some reason it failed to live up to the picture on on the card.
9. C-3P0 & SC-Not very exciting. Basically just 3P0 with some green paint on him and the popout eye wasn't very well executed. But SC wasn't too bad. Definitely better than the previous releases.

figrin bran
12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
I liked all the figures in the wave except for Anakin so it was tough. In the end, I cast my vote for Starkiller, however. Sal's reasons were good so I'll just steal those. I do plan to do customs with one of my extras. I really like Hermi though and so it's only decimal points that separate him and Starkiller, by my reckoning.

pegger
12-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I actually went with Pre-cyborg Grievous on this one. I didn't expect to like this figure (it's EU...eww....) but the figure is excellent, it's a perfect height (wish they'd make a Cyborg Grievous that height).

Hermie's colouring is this only thing I fault it on.

Others were OK.

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I went with Starkiller Hero because she's just a cool figure, good articulation and good accessories. Nothing else in this wave really inspired me, Hermi Odle has limited movement and those colors aren't that good. 3PO is meh. Grievous and Malak are the only others I even bought (well, I have Roron, but for someone else), and they don't really do anything for me.

El Chuxter
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
It's a testament to the quality of this wave that most people, regardless of whom they've voted for, mentioned several others as being really close.

Well, except for Darth Luthor. At least Darth Cobra Commander looked somewhat almost cool, despite being a poorly-executed figure.

The Anakin figure, even, could've been the best figure in many other waves this year.

JediTricks
12-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Also -- JT, will we doing the VTAC as part of these Wave polls?I'm considering doing the secondary figures in January, VTAC, Comics 2packs, BPs, etc.. Any thoughts on that, or what should be in those polls, please LMK.

sebillba
12-16-2007, 04:10 AM
Like Jaff's Best/Worst Poll from last year, I would like to see polls for every new figure released this year, whether they're just a repaint in a multi-pack or kit-bashed exclusive pack-in with a vehicle. Anything really that isn't just a straight repack.

bigbarada
12-16-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm considering doing the secondary figures in January, VTAC, Comics 2packs, BPs, etc.. Any thoughts on that, or what should be in those polls, please LMK.

As long as VTAC is in there somewhere. I would have preferred to have these polls reflect the release dates more (in other words have the VTAC poll before the wave 4 poll); but as long as they don't get forgotten, it's fine.

What do you mean by "secondary figures?"

DarthBrandon
12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I picked Hermi, was there really any question he's the best? Awesome figure.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Like Jaff's Best/Worst Poll from last year, I would like to see polls for every new figure released this year, whether they're just a repaint in a multi-pack or kit-bashed exclusive pack-in with a vehicle. Anything really that isn't just a straight repack.I hear ya, but there needs to be some organization, these polls only have 10 vote slots each. Any thoughts to that?

As long as VTAC is in there somewhere. I would have preferred to have these polls reflect the release dates more (in other words have the VTAC poll before the wave 4 poll); but as long as they don't get forgotten, it's fine. It would have pushed the basic figure poll series' last poll out of December, and it might have skewed the top-winners run-off poll. This way, the basic figures get to enjoy a month all to themselves since they are the primary collecting focus for the majority of collectors, and then once we find out which basics are best, we can run them off against the non-basics' top figs.

What do you mean by "secondary figures?"Anything that isn't a basic since that's the primary focus line. VTAC, Comic 2packs, BP figs, whatever. It's part of the 3.75" system but not part of the basic line.

DarthBrandon
12-16-2007, 05:55 PM
I hear ya, but there needs to be some organization, these polls only have 10 vote slots each. Any thoughts to that?

It would have pushed the basic figure poll series' last poll out of December, and it might have skewed the top-winners run-off poll. This way, the basic figures get to enjoy a month all to themselves since they are the primary collecting focus for the majority of collectors, and then once we find out which basics are best, we can run them off against the non-basics' top figs.

Anything that isn't a basic since that's the primary focus line. VTAC, Comic 2packs, BP figs, whatever. It's part of the 3.75" system but not part of the basic line.

Not sure how you would do it, but I think once all the voting is done we should have a poll for the top 3 out of the winners from each poll.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-18-2007, 01:39 AM
I chose Starkiller Hero. I just got an opener this weekend and really like the figure. The whole wave is pretty good, though. I guess all the others had some little thing that bugged me enough to strike it from contention, except for maybe Anakin. I'll stick with the cute girl figure though.

OC47150
12-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Hard one but I think I have to go with Grevious.